Other Black Flags in the Ghoul Stars (Rogue Trader) - Page 6 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Sep 18th, 2022, 10:37 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2017
Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun
and dodge. dont forget dodge
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 11:12 PM
Let there be fire again

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3787
Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks
Question. Should we be working on our character sheets already? I can definitely see wanting to cobble them together to understand the game system early on. To be clear, I don't think I want to leave this application process so soon, so I'll stick by and see if I make the cut.

@Rylus: Belated reply for a fellow Eldar hopeful, but I could've told you that. Yeah, xenos don't get a career path like humans, but are locked into a variant with less customization. IIRC this is also because xenos have natural advantages over humans already (and Rogue Trader is still Imperium-centric despite bending the rules a bit), but don't hold me to that.
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 12:30 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3140
Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus
Alright, thanks. i thought that was the case but its better to ask than assume.
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 04:20 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1164
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
Dodge is a rank 2 skill for Explorator's. Perhaps the Xeno rules are different
Old Sep 22nd, 2022, 09:28 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 95
MadOnTheInternet
So when do we get rolling?
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 12:34 AM
WotC can bite me

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6767
Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadOnTheInternet View Post
It's hard to go wrong with awareness training for 100 XP. The only other options that even come close in bang for the buck are buying the first increase in INT, STR, or T, also 100 XP each. Trade(Armorer) is 100XP, but the trade skill is so poorly defined it's hard to know if will even do anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot lasgun View Post
and dodge. dont forget dodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuedenim View Post
Dodge is a rank 2 skill for Explorator's. Perhaps the Xeno rules are different
Thank you all for the feedback. psuedenim, when you say "Dodge is a rank 2 skill for Explorator," what do you mean? That my modified Explorator has to get a prerequisite before buying Dodge? Or that it is already a skill my PC should have and the internet source I cribbed from was incomplete/inaccurate?

I'm concerned about being heavily specialized under Intelligence for my skills. Is there a Persuasion/Diplomacy skill (presumably based on Fellowship) and what would it cost to buy? Similarly what would it cost in xp to boost my starting pistol skill?

My Int is already 50, I already get a doubling on my toughness bonus (forgewold origin), and he isn't a chainsword swinging commissar so buying a Str increase doesn't seem like a great investment. Am I underestimating the value of Strength for a techie type PC?

I take it boosting Weapon Skill (WS) would cost more than 150xp?
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 04:00 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1164
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
Ranks are determined by your total XP so you cant access Rank 2 till you have accumulated something like 7000XP. (Rank 1 starts at 5000XP I believe)
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 11:55 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 95
MadOnTheInternet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire64 View Post
Thank you all for the feedback. psuedenim, when you say "Dodge is a rank 2 skill for Explorator," what do you mean? That my modified Explorator has to get a prerequisite before buying Dodge? Or that it is already a skill my PC should have and the internet source I cribbed from was incomplete/inaccurate?

I'm concerned about being heavily specialized under Intelligence for my skills. Is there a Persuasion/Diplomacy skill (presumably based on Fellowship) and what would it cost to buy? Similarly what would it cost in xp to boost my starting pistol skill?

My Int is already 50, I already get a doubling on my toughness bonus (forgewold origin), and he isn't a chainsword swinging commissar so buying a Str increase doesn't seem like a great investment. Am I underestimating the value of Strength for a techie type PC?

I take it boosting Weapon Skill (WS) would cost more than 150xp?
Rank is Rogue Trader's equivalent of "level". Your level rank and class determine what skills and talents you can buy with your XP.

Tech-priests get the middle advancement for weapon skill. The first increase is 250 XP, outside your budget. Saving XP towards future goals is always an option.

RT's diplomacy skill is called charm, which unfortunately isn't on the Explorator list. In fact, the only people skill I see with a quick skim is Command, which doesn't even become available until rank 7 (out of 8 max). Which I suppose makes sense-Tech-priests aren't exactly renowned chatterboxes.

I don't know where you're getting a doubling of toughness, but since it's your "not dying" stat, it's hard to have too much. The Explorator is overall very geared toward hand-to-hand combat, and with some bionics can do some very scary damage in melee.