PF-1e Tides of Time: A High-Level Campaign - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Sep 9th, 2022, 08:10 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 347
chaincomplex chaincomplex chaincomplex chaincomplex
Tides of Time: A High-Level Campaign

RECRUITMENT CLOSES: 15 OCTOBER

Game NameTides of Time: A High-Level Campaign
Game SystemPathfinder
ThemeTime Travel, Apocalyptic
FlavourEpic Fantasy, Weird Fantasy
Plot Summary

This is a story about Time, in two parts.

The first is between Time and yourself. Many years ago you made a choice that you have carried with you since. Now you are a legendary adventurer, with deeds known across Avistan and a name spoken by great rulers and wise scholars alike. As your memories weigh heavier than ever, you hear rumors that Time allows a rare few to change the past. You prepare yourself for one more adventure into the boundless, to seek the source of these rumors and revisit a time long gone.

The second part is between Time and the cosmos. Presently unknown to most of Golarion, all of existence will be coming to an end in around 12 years. The first signs will manifest soon, and Time will begin its grim march into the almost-inevitable apocalypse. There will be factions, each with their own idea of how to navigate these last years, moving sky and earth to face the end on their terms. You are thrust into this tumultuous period, called to change the future of Golarion even as you attempt to change your own past.

This is a story about Time. But this is also a story about you.

────────────────

Hi all. I'm a DM with lots of former experience in in-person gaming, though I'm quite rusty now, and have been getting into play-by-post DMing on Giant in the Playground. I've a game that's been, and still, going for near half a year, and I'm happy with both it and my players. I've been thinking for a while about making a sister campaign. That game's premise was to play 20th-level characters in D&D 3.5e, a rare experience since most campaigns end much earlier, and I'm curious to see the Pathfinder 1e counterpart of high-level play.

This game will be that.

The pace of this one will be slightly slower, at 1 post per week. I will attempt to post more frequently to keep things going, but don't hold me to a faster pace. If you can commit to a slow burn of a game, so can I.

User Char Name Build Refs
AmieGamer Avidia Vulso CG Human Skald [Totemic Skald, Urban Skald] 20 Post
DraconigenaArma Doctor Theynor CN Human Wizard 20 Post
Ermine Kwan Bai Ling NG Kitsune Sorcerer [Draconic] 10/Dragon Disciple 10 Post, Sheet
Ermine Vashti N Human Gunslinger [Pistolero] 20 Post, Sheet
Eviltedzies Skarok Bloodscorned ? Half-Orc Barbarian [Scarred Rager] 20 Post, Sheet
Jasontheswift Evron the Unstirring LG Human Monk [Monk of the Iron Mountain] 20 Post, Sheet
JonnyGulliver Lord Mordred LN Tiefling Occultist [Haunt Collector] 20 Post, Sheet
Maghnuis Hirakawa Daimyo LN Human Samurai 20 Post, Sheet
Runetide Autumnus CG Gathlain Kineticist [Wood, Water, Fire] 20 Post
Rylus Agmar Blackstone LN Aasimar [Angelkin] – Post
Seekr34 Drake Jaggers CN Dhampir Ranger 8/Rogue 6/Shadowdancer 6 Post, Sheet
SpatulaOdoom Nassor N Human Wizard 20 Post
Ytterbium Derf Dragonbane N Goblin Kineticist 20 Post
ricktur63 Jack Burbon LN Half-Ogre Warpriest [Sacred Fist] 20 Post, Sheet
triedtherest Midas LN Human Alchemist 20 Post

Last edited by chaincomplex; Yesterday at 09:13 PM.
Old Sep 9th, 2022, 10:23 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 344
droobles droobles droobles droobles
Could an unchained monk take the master of many styles archetype? all it asks for are the bonus feats and flurry ability from the regular monk.

Last edited by droobles; Sep 9th, 2022 at 10:43 PM.
Old Sep 9th, 2022, 10:53 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3723
Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine
I am so tempted. I've been wanting a high level game for some time now (though I was looking for a 5e one. I'm happy with PF1e, too).

I'm assuming no drow nobles except through the feat chains? At 20th level, their extreme power level won't make much of a difference (especially since most of it comes from flavor SLAs), but I thought I'd check, since they ARE a 41RP race.

I mean, if I can't be one, I have an elf or half elf investigator in mind.
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 01:32 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by droobles View Post
Could an unchained monk take the master of many styles archetype? all it asks for are the bonus feats and flurry ability from the regular monk.
So I looked into this. My naive thought was why not, all the class features align (even if Flurry differs), but apparently there's a line in Unchained that explicitly carves out Unchained Monks as exceptions: Unchained Monks can't qualify for Monk archetypes.

I don't have Pathfinder Monk experience so I can't see if the Unchained Monk and Master of Many Styles combo is problematic. I'm leaning towards disallowing it out of an abundance of caution but I'm open to hearing others' thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermine View Post
I'm assuming no drow nobles except through the feat chains? At 20th level, their extreme power level won't make much of a difference (especially since most of it comes from flavor SLAs), but I thought I'd check, since they ARE a 41RP race..
As you say, most Drow Noble bonuses are immaterial at 20th level. I have a slight concern of a minor arms race over that +4 Dex bonus and 31 SR, in the sense that others may feel disincentivized to run "standard" races, so I'm disallowing it.

Last edited by chaincomplex; Sep 10th, 2022 at 01:37 AM.
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 01:50 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Fine by me. ^~^ I've already started a half-elf (the elf half is drow, taking a bunch of drow feats, including Noble Spell Resistance, which gives the 31 SR) investigator (steel hound archetype, so a mini gunslinger).

Also took Master Craftsman for weapons, and Craft Magic Arms and Armor (which Master Craftsman allows, but I can only make magic weapons). Using it to make two Pistols of the Infinite Sky.

Edit: Actually, forget that. I have another idea I've been wanting to try out.

Last edited by Ermine; Sep 10th, 2022 at 02:36 AM.
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 02:45 AM
Pretty cool Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13455
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Tempting tempting.
Not sure how familiar you are with Play by Post gaming, but just wanted to mention that you might have difficulty with extremely open ended games and overchoice/planning paralysis.
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 02:53 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Okay, I have a completed character. Just need to make a sheet and actually post her here.

For reference, a kitsune sorcerer/dragon disciple.

I'm just waiting for someone else to apply first. ^//^
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 04:05 PM
Lanthanoid

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32629
Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium
left-aligned image
Character Sheet

Name: Derf
Race: Goblin
Class: Kineticist 20
Alignment: N
Deity: food

Why Time Travel?
On his way out of the Chitterwood, he was bitten by a lone star tick and is now allergic to mammalian meat, meaning he can't eat horses, dogs, or gnomes. Only, like, chickens and stuff. Very sad. He would go back to that day and slather a bunch of vermin repellent on his younger self.

Last edited by Ytterbium; Sep 25th, 2022 at 12:05 PM.
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 05:16 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5304
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Finally! A high level character! A top level at that. Been on this site a long time, not once I got past 16th level and the only reason I was at 16th, was because that was the starting level, Unfortunately, never made it to the next level before it died.

Will play a dhampir who is a ranger/rogue/Shadowdancer. Real excited for this campaign!
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 05:48 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
I forgot to ask, do you accept "The elephant in the room: feat taxes in pathfinder"?
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 06:04 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5635
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
I'm putting together a Human Alchemist who has a focus on Constructs and Item Crafting.
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 09:36 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpatulaOdoom View Post
Not sure how familiar you are with Play by Post gaming, but just wanted to mention that you might have difficulty with extremely open ended games and overchoice/planning paralysis.
I have around half a year's experience in DMing play by post, which isn't much, though I've definitely seen some of that analysis paralysis.

It's something I considered when thinking up this game's premise. I could railroad it more but then the level 20 PCs won't get to flex as much. I could set the timeline for the apocalypse to be months or even weeks to push the PCs to action, but this cheapens the scale of the conflict and rushes the time travel idea.

So I bit the bullet and went for it. I don't really have a satisfactory answer to the analysis paralysis problem. I'll have to experiment with different ways of being proactive in prodding the players to decide, and I intend to be liberal with time skips anyways. If the players can't think of anything to do, I'll probably have them describe their plans and activities for the coming gap, then fast forward time to the next major event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekr34 View Post
I forgot to ask, do you accept "The elephant in the room: feat taxes in pathfinder"?
As good game design, yes. For the purposes of this game, no, we're running Pathfinder as vanilla as it gets.

Last edited by chaincomplex; Sep 10th, 2022 at 09:41 PM.
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 11:54 PM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2512
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
Evron the Unstirring - Ready for Review
Race: Human
Alignment: LG
Class: Monk of the Iron Mountain – Vow of Cleanliness & Truth
Appearance:

Personality: True to his teachings from the legend “the Monk of the Iron Mountain”, Evron is a very still and calm individual. If Evron had a time where he showed rage or insecurity that has long since passed. Much like a charming grandfather Evron is noted for saying little unless he wishes to lighten the mood of a situation or offer children and the vulnerable hope.

Additionally like a charming grandfather Evron has quirks and will ask odd philosophical questions without much meaning or intellectual weight. This can be a means of irritability or mild endearment to others. Evron strives to retain inner balance and embody the teachings he has outlined to his followers. The way Evron maintains demands silence and balance, never letting harsh emotion unbalance you when surrounded by opposition. As a teacher Evron is warm, patient and not phased by frustration.

Background:

The Legend of Evron the Unstirring
Cited by Lanirie Crayra - First student of Evron, Master of the Iron Mountain path.

The Path of the Iron Mountain

Named the Unstirring

Victory at What cost.

Sheet

Last edited by Jasontheswift; Sep 11th, 2022 at 03:09 PM.
Old Sep 11th, 2022, 12:43 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Character Sheet: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=59013
Name: Drake Jaggers
Race: Dhampir
Class: 8th level Ranger, 6th level Rogue, 6th level Shadowdancer
Alignment: CN
Deity: Desna
Height: 6'0
Weight: 205
Appearance: A very handsome man, more so than most humans and his skin is slightly darkened, almost exotic like, with medium build body, more on the athletic side. Brown hair just past his shoulders with a goatee. He has dark brown eyes, his skin has a dark complexion, almost an exotic look to him. Dressed with your typical ranger look, brown and green. He has chain like shirt for armor with a bow at his back and a sword sheathed at each hip. A dagger is sheathed at each thigh and at each side at the ribs. He moves with fluid grace that seems almost unnatural.
right-aligned image

Personality: He carries himself well with confidence, gets along well with others just fine, although he has trouble trusting them. Seems many are friendly for a price. He doesn't get overly excited, staying calm through most situations. An even-tempered man, that keeps his race a secret, for, so many people see him as evil as treat him as such once they found what he is. He didn't ask to be born a dhampir, but here he is.

Background:

Reason to go into Time: His reputation continued grow, even Kings were requesting his help. He had traveled all over to see the world. Since he had the same lifespan of an elf, why stay in one place? His adventures became even more dangerous, besides helping villages and towns from Goblins and orc raids, he was going against evil mages and powerful monsters. He was labeled a hero, but now, now he was being called a legend. He wasn't comfortable with that title, for him, a legend was someone who was long retired or dead. He understood the title though, he was very human looking but living far longer. He been at friend's funeral, his friend's children's funeral, and now his friend's grandchildren's funeral.

The time finally came of peace across the lands, the worries were only of bandits and occasionally raids. Then Drake heard about being able to go back in time. After a week of rest and preparation, he headed out to the source and on the way, he thought of what he would do. People think he was lucky in living so long, but he didn't think so at times. He was alone, his kind didn't have their own community, he couldn't even tell if met his own kind or not. As far as he knows, he only met two. The elves wouldn't accept him living with them, the humans don't live long enough. So, what he would do if he could go back in time? He thought of killing his father before he impregnate his mother, but then, he wouldn't be born. He didn't mind that thought actually, but there were folks that had better lives because of him. He could always kill his father before he could take his mother away. It was something to think about and he needed to think hard...

Last edited by Seekr34; Sep 12th, 2022 at 06:20 PM.
Old Sep 11th, 2022, 02:38 AM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2512
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
@chaincomplex, Roughly how much would it cost to open and operate a martial arts school ? Evron would have either opened one for his best student to run in his name (he returning to check in once per year or so).