PF-1e Tides of Time: A High-Level Campaign - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Sep 13th, 2022, 11:36 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8273
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
WIP.

Character Concept
right-aligned image

Name: Lucius Khel
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Race: Human (Chelaxian)
Class: Wizard 10 (Conjuration) / Diabolist 10 (Prestige Class)
Worships: Asmodeus

Description:

Personality:

Character History:
WIP

Last edited by Grouchy; Sep 13th, 2022 at 11:40 PM.
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 12:30 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 347
chaincomplex chaincomplex chaincomplex chaincomplex
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktur63 View Post
I am certainly interested! I love the characters that can actually back up the bravado. I am going to try something just a bit out of my comfort zone. Possibly a Magus or a Bloodrager. Some melee and magic. Or perhaps I can finally play that arcane trickster.

What are your thoughts on a half ogre character?

I could go with a half orc if need be but they are so overused in my opinion.
No to third party stuff. I do agree that half-ogres should get some rep though, as it happens there's an ogre race in Advanced Race Guide, you're welcome to modify it to be half-ogre appropriately per race building rules, where I'm making an exception to the no-custom-races rule on account of half-ogres actually existing and ogres literally being a playable race.

Don't exceed 23 rp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maghnuis View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clearer.
How will you handle these types of Templates.
I'm not running monsters as PCs except those literally statted out as playable races, cf. gathlain, ogre. The templates generally aren't meant for PCs, and if they are, they have specific rules written out about it—run me by what particular template you want.
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 04:51 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8273
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Re: cash money, dump it all in gear and assume they have a "home base" of sorts, or dedicate money to that as well? Lucius needs a place for his Altar of Asmodeus and all his nasty dealings with him.
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 06:55 AM
Flower of Everything!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7537
ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63
Thanks for the leeway. I’ll do my best to get a jumpstart on my concept this weekend. I do think the half ogre will be a more interesting character. An unwanted child who learns to be self reliant. A troubled youth that gets turned around by a mentor who helps him learn another way.

Last edited by ricktur63; Sep 14th, 2022 at 06:57 AM.
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 04:37 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5635
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
I have Midas' background finished, now I just have to work on the character sheet side, and the stats of his minions.

He has a workaround to give himself a Mythic Tier, as well as a way to magically created items, Constructs, and effects at a greatly reduced cost.
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 08:12 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
Re: cash money, dump it all in gear and assume they have a "home base" of sorts, or dedicate money to that as well? Lucius needs a place for his Altar of Asmodeus and all his nasty dealings with him.
If you want to be said to own said base, then you'll have to spend money on it. Like before I offer options: buy an appropriate building via kingdom rules at the cheapest conversion 1 BP = 1,000 gp, build it via downtime rules and pay the purchase cost, or take Leadership and have your cohort manage your residence. The former is more expensive by quite a bit, but it counts as a one-time-purchase extravagant lifestyle when nearby, and it counts towards any kingdom management you might feel compelled to do in the future.
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 08:30 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11076
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
Typical App BiographicsName Doctor Theynor
Race Human
Class Wizard
Alignment Chaotic Neutral

Personality
At best Theynor is a “free spirit, guided by his impulses and motivated by the thrill of the next adventure.” At his worst he’s a loose cannon who chafes under all authority be it legal, religious, or profession. He has a tendency to rebel at every opportunity and is an opportunistic person; the ends always justifies his means. His greatest strength is also his greatest weakness, as his intelligence distances him from the average person enough he loses empathy and can walk all over people’s feelings, sensibilities, plans, or wishes. "Yes, but did you die?" is a go to answer in the face of other's consternation. Despite his mastery of magic Theynor has difficulty displaying or following clear, logical, or linear lines of thought and tends to work through problems in piece meal or free-associative ways which tend to win him little more than a begrudging appreciation for getting the job done – even if it was done in a way which causes disorder or property damage in the process. As such, he has the reputation as being the “last resort” solution to a problem because while he’ll take care of it, people don’t always like the way he does (and frankly Theynor usually doesn’t care.) Despite this he has a reverence for sentient life and avoids wanton murder and abhors innocent bystanders as casualties. Their house? That can be rebuilt if he blows it up, but replacing a life is considerably more costly both financially and on the conscience. Manipulating people to get what he wants, that he loses little sleep over.

Description
Theynor doesn’t dress like a bum, but he does dress like a vagrant – or at least a well-worn traveler. He is of average height, his hair is dark brown, almost black, and both his hair and his beard are as long as they can grow uncut for seventy years. They are both kept well brushed and clean. His eyes are a sparkling brown flecked with amber. He wears a wide brimmed, pointed hat and traveling clothes of blue, green, and browns with knee high boots and a cloak to match. With most of his equipment kept in comfortable to carry extradimensional spaces he has very little in the way of baubles, accessories, and other sundry accoutrement dangling about his person. A belt holds his clothes together, and he keeps a pouch for sundry items in keeping with modern fashion. Rarely does he carry a weapon, even a dagger, though he does usually carry a staff.

Time Travel GoalsPersonal
Theynor does not do regrets, largely, and if asked in a non serious or hypothetical context he would more than likely regale a myriad of petty gripes and general embarrassments and mistakes as worthwhile to go back and fix. On a serious note, there are two primary candidates for what he would spend legitimate resources on going back in time to do... and he would struggle hard to choose between them if he had to. Again, while he doesn’t do regrets, he does know in an abstract way that the first experience of losing a close adventuring companion to a monster in a dungeon has had a lasting and lingering effect on him. Not a perfectly empathic man before, it damaged in him a willingness to feel such a pain again, and so he keeps his distance on the inside, even with those he is close to. But, would saving Harold from the grips of that choker fix him as a person, or would it just push back the inevitable loss, as Harold wasn’t the last death he had to suffer. Would his former self notice the contrast, be able to steel himself better, or would it simply be a catharsis for the current him with no lasting impact on his past? What if years later Harold goes mad and stabs him to death in his sleep and this was the universe or some bored god saving him? The existential uncertainty as to whether or not selfishly making himself feel better by saving a friend is even a pragmatically useful endeavor, morality aside, means there’s appeal to going back almost seventy five years to that one time as a novice mage he is certain, in retrospect, he could have gotten his hands on an Unending Tome if only he had the ability to get into that locked cabinet in the magic shop he happened to be robbing. He wouldn’t let that ungrateful whelp of himself have it back then though and he’d make sure to take it back forward in time with him now.

Apocalypse
While it would be nobler, or more poetic, to have some deep and heartfelt reason to save the world – Theynor just enjoys living in the world too much to see it stop. He’s not ready for the party to end. And, if the world ends anyway, he’s not going to give up the opportunity to have a front row seat to the end of reality, because the only thing worse than getting wiped out by the end of everything is to be clueless about it. If they lost, in his final moments, he’d feel immense satisfaction he was in the middle of it all.

Character Concept and RoleEver notice how the cantankerous old wizards hiding in their secluded demiplane tucked into the top level of their meticulously trapped flying tower wrapped in every ward and buff and protection spell known to mankind are certainly incredibly powerful characters, but are also almost always either the final boss battle of a sprawling campaign… or they’re a PC who is all of that until the campaign starts and then goes back to regular old murder-hobo-ing. How about a wizard who, despite his 20th level, is still a transient adventurer with no base of operations, no sprawling kingdom they have to manage, no nightmare fuel simulacrum puppy mill… just a man who never gave up the love of the road, the pursuit of knowledge, the need for that next dopamine spike, and the lifestyle which allows him to cater to his own mercurial sense of doing whatever he wants when he wants it. Theynor adventures because he loves it, and he moves around both because it affords him new opportunities and also because it does not take long for him to overstay his welcome. The longest he has ever stayed in one place was three years, and it was in a small village. His entire goal was to become elected mayor, just so he could appoint a goat as his second and then resign. No one found it as funny as he did, but he will still sometimes laugh at the memory of that goat eating oats in his seat at their first council meeting.

As for his notoriety, he will have long since developed name recognition in most human and civilized humanoid lands as a personality who blows through town like a midwinter storm, an unpredictable force who’s influence on the local community is as likely a massive benefit as it is a colossal inconvenience. I envision Theynor to have achieved 20th level about 65 years ago, with the immortality arcane discovery meaning he can celebrate his 100th birthday sometime before the world ends during the campaign (the party he will throw…) but it also means most of his close family and early adventuring friends who are not dwarves or humans have grown old and died if they lived long enough to do that. This may fuel in some respect his detachment from the world and apparent callousness, which is actually more accurately carelessness with people’s feelings. But over time he has working in, and with, many mages guilds and universities, never stable enough or willing to adhere to a collegiate or fraternal order’s rules structure to advance in rank or leadership within the organizations. He will have joined and quit multiple armies over the years, as well as served and quit as court magician to various kings and kingdoms.

In the party he fulfills the role you would expect from a wizard, general utility spellcasting so as to have an answer for any situation. Tactically he will be capable of battlefield control and while buffing is the name of the game, I can see a character like Theynor growing bored with the typical walls and fog style play and I am mulling over investing slightly in some of the “one trick pony” concepts wizards can embrace, such as enervation bombing or leaning heavy on a preferred save-or-die or two. A lot of that will really work itself out during sheet creation, which I’m somewhat hesitant to do before being accepted as a 20th level PC is a lot of work, especially a wizard. Out of combat, and out of defeating challenges, while a highly chaotic character can easily become an annoyance (especially if they become bridge jumping for the lulz caricatures) an impulsive, restless, thrill seeking personality has every motivation to continually push the party in some direction, any direction, during a sandbox game. He will be a narrative engine which pushes the story along, even if it means kidnapping the party with a surprise teleport (you didn’t really, in your heart, want to roll that will save did you…)

QuestionYou've mentioned downtime rules a few times. Is there a standard number of days / months / years of down time the PC's can all expect to have in relative even amounts to use as part of our backgrounds? IE, we all get the same point buy and the same gold to spend in the ways we like, can we expect to all have the same duration of background time to play with using the downtime rules?

Last edited by DraconigenaArma; Sep 14th, 2022 at 08:37 PM.
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 09:40 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3140
Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus
Sorry, didnt realize it was 3rd party. i will change it if i can come up with something, if i cant i wish yall the best of games
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 11:10 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5304
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Hmm, was thinking of a home base, after all, being 20th level, the character should have a home somewhere. So say a cabin the woods, that seems to fit in the forest. nothing too fancy though. How much would that cost? Oh, not sure what a BP is. Here's a pic of the home that my character would live in, something simple and his only neighbors besides the animals would a dryad and a couple of treants.
Old Sep 15th, 2022, 12:14 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraconigenaArma View Post
You've mentioned downtime rules a few times. Is there a standard number of days / months / years of down time the PC's can all expect to have in relative even amounts to use as part of our backgrounds? IE, we all get the same point buy and the same gold to spend in the ways we like, can we expect to all have the same duration of background time to play with using the downtime rules?
You should assume that all the construction and recruiting happens instantaneously if you go with downtime rules—you've had an entire lifetime to build it up, after all. Your primary limitation is how much wealth you're willing to drop on non-character stuff. We will act as though your starting wealth includes all past profits from such business ventures.

As an aside, I'm aware that it's possible to build a funny business by building a single capital earner then spamming 2-square storefronts or something similar. I ask if your goal is to make lots of money, which I will absolutely allow, that your buildings actually generate value in a way that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylus View Post
Sorry, didnt realize it was 3rd party. i will change it if i can come up with something, if i cant i wish yall the best of games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekr34 View Post
Hmm, was thinking of a home base, after all, being 20th level, the character should have a home somewhere. So say a cabin the woods, that seems to fit in the forest. nothing too fancy though. How much would that cost? Oh, not sure what a BP is. Here's a pic of the home that my character would live in, something simple and his only neighbors besides the animals would a dryad and a couple of treants.
You should check out the downtime rules to work out a building that's to your satisfaction, however there is a template building house that contains 1 bedroom, 1 kitchen, 1 lavatory, 1 sewer access, 1 living room, and 1 storage, that runs for 1,290 gp. Removing the sewer access, since there are no sewers in the forest, would mean the price drops to 1,180 gp.

Last edited by chaincomplex; Sep 15th, 2022 at 12:15 AM.
Old Sep 15th, 2022, 12:57 AM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
Oh, I have no interest in owning a building or business in this game, it is way outside this vagabond wizard's personality. I was thinking about some of the other downtime activities which could represent time spent in the character's history, such as writing spells, crafting items, retraining activities, etc. all of which require spending resources to include time. I see crafters and potion brewers and merchant empire builders, etc. so I was curious if we had a maximum number of in game days we can spend on those types of things as part of character creation.

Last edited by DraconigenaArma; Sep 15th, 2022 at 01:00 AM.
Old Sep 15th, 2022, 10:35 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3140
Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus
class changed from warder to arcanist, fixed the appearance section as well to reflect this. Now hopefully i will have time to finish him
Old Sep 15th, 2022, 10:53 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5635
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
If anyone doesn't want to spend the coin on (or can be bothered with) a Home Base for themselves, Midas has a literal Flying Palace that anyone would be able to kick back in.
Old Sep 15th, 2022, 11:22 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraconigenaArma View Post
I was thinking about some of the other downtime activities which could represent time spent in the character's history, such as writing spells, crafting items, retraining activities, etc. all of which require spending resources to include time. I see crafters and potion brewers and merchant empire builders, etc. so I was curious if we had a maximum number of in game days we can spend on those types of things as part of character creation.
This is actually a really good point. Hm. I was willing to bite the bullet and say, yeah, craft as much magic as your character can, but this basically ensures casters have up to twice the starting wealth of mundanes.

HMMMMMMMM. 🤔

So either make the wealth non-craft-friendly, which screws crafting builds; make the wealth totally craft-friendly, which screws mundanes; or do some halfway thing and have limited crafting time, which is really inelegant and annoys me. (I note the screw-crafters option isn't totally awful because the campaign happens over a long period of time, so lots of crafting can get done. That's something else to consider.)

I will have to think on this question. I think I'm still going to bite the bullet and let mundanes get screwed on wealth, and hope people are still willing to play them. If not, well—guess I can just rename this campaign Caster Supremacy Hour.

As for retraining, I'm going to allow retraining during the campaign, but not during character creation. I'm aware this means some level of character shuffling immediately on campaign start is optimal, but the alternative is to ban retraining in totality, which is lame.
Old Sep 15th, 2022, 11:28 AM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
I hear you, and even though my character concept is not mundane, there will be no crafting in this corner. Though depending on how you min/max downtime activities you can be mundane and run a kingdom that generates tens of thousands of gold a month, which also can throw things off. But kingdom building is, as everything else, limited in its growth based on how many days/months/years you can grow it up vs. your initial investment in BP. The only thing that swings one way or the other for my purposes is how much I want to spend on scribing spells into a book balanced against how many days of writing is reasonable to include in his history. The backstory wasn't intended to twink the mechanics, but spending decades at level 20 does pad the amount of time is "conceivable" for the activity and the more spells I can keep in a book the better my wizard can be, of course limited by daily spell selection. But just because I don't plan to craft or kingdom build doesn't mean my question doesn't have universal applicability, which is why I thought I'd check.

Last edited by DraconigenaArma; Sep 15th, 2022 at 11:30 AM.