PF-1e Tides of Time: A High-Level Campaign - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Sep 15th, 2022, 04:12 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1265
NonCausalFact NonCausalFact NonCausalFact NonCausalFact NonCausalFact NonCausalFact NonCausalFact NonCausalFact NonCausalFact
WOW!!!! I just can't let it pass, so here it comes...

...since I am trying to write an epic story that spans 11,000 years, I will try to give a little bit of solidity to the purposely-vague definition of the first ages of the history of Golarion, always based in canon material, but filling the gaps with details, so that I can bring my character to life, as a convincing character has to live in a convincing world.

(¯`·._.·(¯`·._.· Kallak, the Magnificent ·._.·´¯)·._.·´¯)
"The greatest gift I bestowed upon Humanity was pain... I set out to correct it."

Inspiration

Summary

Kallak, The Magnificent, once the leader of the greatest human civilization in the history of Golarion, the Azlanti Empire, led a rebellion against the alghollthus in order to free Mankind from the rule of the Veiled Masters. Old, but still very powerful, Kallah refused to accept death and ordered his archmages to imbue a powerful magic ring with his own consciousness, so that he could live as an immortal king, passing from young body to young body, assuming control of the one who wore him in his/her finger. As a ring passing from human finger to human finger, he lived through the history of Golarion, at some point adopting the name of Aroden, which he persisted through diverse bodies, coming to be taken for an immortal human. After lifting the island of Absalon and achieving godhood, he reigned from his celestial realm as patron deity of Humanity, but, by the day of his prophesized return, he understood that, by achieving godhood, he had lost the thing he valued the most - his own humanity - and descended from godhood, returning to his state as a ring which would carry his mind from human body to human body, now living as many ordinary people, only to rise as a "powerful adventurer" from time to time, changing the course of events in some place or another, but never inscribing his name in history ever again. Today, he developed a firm belief in the inadequacy of the way he designed his rebellion and wishes to return to nearly 9,000 years in the past, to his former days as emperor, aiming to reshape his actions and achieve freedom without causing Earthfall, also ending his own existence and never becoming a god.

right-aligned image

Character Details

Name: Kallak, The Magnificent (currently worn by Edward Snowton)
Race: Artifact (magic ring, only worn by humans)
Alignment: Lawful Good

Class: Wizard - Transmuter (20)

Concept: Former emperor of the Azlanti Empire, the former god Aroden

Story

The Age of Legend
"Azlant" was a word from the Ghol-gani language to describe a weak and primitive species of hunter-gatherers from Golarion that would be later called "human", so, when those small beings finally formed an empire, it would be called by all the "Azlanti Empire", the empire of the humans.

By the time, the relationship between the rise of the humans and the scheming of aboleths was unknown to both the Giants and the Elves, the only land-dwellers aware of it being Ghol-Gani, by the time already degenerated into worshippers of any nightmarish outsiders that crossed their path, and a few aloof dragons, so no effort has been really been placed into stopping the formation of that particular aboleth puppet civilization, allowing them to grow stronger and more organized through the millennia until a powerful empire was formed.

Around the year -5000, the throne was not inherited among the Azanti, but achieved by means of a system of merit based on public admiration and sanctioned by the former emperor before his death. That is how a prominent public speaker named Kallak rose to power, when emperor Kott-the-son, who named him his successor, had his days ended.

Not only a human, but also a human supremacist, Kallak was arrogant and brutal with words, but a master of comebacks and sophisms, which both entertained and convinced the populace. His speeches were full of fancy metaphors, usually derogative of the other civilizations and, when he finally rose to the throne, many feared his ways would place the empire at odds - or even at war - with at least the giants, whose lands bordered Azlant to the West, but such fears were proved unfounded after, despite a few skirmishes and even a short-lived "liberation war" - an effort to release human slaves in nearby giant lands - Azlanti diplomacy managed to strike an unease peace with its neighbors under the promise of non-interference, a compromise politically forced upon the emperor by the Azlanti martial syndicates, through which the emperor projected power into the more distant lands, giving them an enormous political relevance.

Kallak's reign was mostly uneventful, with some level of detachment from foreign politics and expansion mostly into unclaimed territory, so wars were few and sparse. This peaceful period granted the Azlanti Empire a flourishing economy and a renewed sense of nationalism, which the emperor was proud to easily and frequently turn into speciesism. During such period, the arcane syndicates were free to give wings to their creativity, producing many magically-reinforced buildings that would last for ages; the merchant syndicates designed their imposing longships, wooden maritime behemoths that can be found sunken even today, all through the Inner Sea; and a human supremacist ideology flourished in Azlant, which perfectly matched the plans of the veiled masters.

War Against the Serpentfolk
What is the use for minions if you cannot let them lose to do your bidding? The veiled masters had nurtured and established control over the most powerful civilization that ever had - and would ever have - set foot on Golarion and it was time to reap the benefits of their actions.

Their intentions were mostly to destabilize the World as a whole, so that they could easily rise form the waters and subjugate the entirety of the other races, without opposition. For that, they would move the Azlanti war machine against one by one of the other great civilizations and, prudent as they were, they had a test case in mind.

The Rise of Aroden

The Earthfall

Apotheosis

Conflict Against Tar Baphon

The Death of Prophecy
WIP

Last edited by NonCausalFact; Sep 16th, 2022 at 01:44 PM.
Old Sep 15th, 2022, 05:50 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5304
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaincomplex View Post
You should check out the downtime rules to work out a building that's to your satisfaction, however there is a template building house that contains 1 bedroom, 1 kitchen, 1 lavatory, 1 sewer access, 1 living room, and 1 storage, that runs for 1,290 gp. Removing the sewer access, since there are no sewers in the forest, would mean the price drops to 1,180 gp.
Ok, read the downtime rules and this is what I have;

Drake’s house

Bath - contains a single large bathtub or multiple smaller basins, along with a stove for heating water. After spending 1 hour in this room, you gain a +2 bonus on your next ongoing Fortitude save against disease. 130gps

Bedroom (2) - provides comfort & privacy for one to two people, & typically features one large bed or two smaller beds. Many also have furnishings or features, such as chairs, wardrobes, chests, tables, or small fireplaces. Bedroom might be the sleeping place of a building’s owner. 300gps each

Book Repository - contains shelves upon shelves of books, in addition to chairs, desks, and tables for reading and studying. Most repositories contain books on a wide array of topics providing a general wealth of information, but some contain books focused on a specific topic. When you construct a Book Repository, select one Knowledge skill. If someone has a question relating to that Knowledge skill and is able to spend 1 hour researching in the Book Repository, she gains a +3 bonus on the Knowledge check to answer the question. 460gps

Kitchen - used to prepare food. Contains a stove, sink, & small pantry with basic cooking tools & supplies. 160gps

Laundry - contains large vat for soaking clothes, cauldron to heat water, washboards, drying lines, & racks & bins for dry clothes. Might be an outside area adjacent to a building. Users of a Laundry gain a +1 bonus on Fortitude saves to resist contracting a disease while they’re in the settlement. 120gps

Lavatory - includes up to four 5-foot-by-5-foot private rooms for dealing with biological functions. If a building doesn’t have a Lavatory, people in it must go elsewhere for this sort of activity. Depending on the building and settlement, a Lavatory might be an outhouse, a closet with a chamber pot, or a stool connected to an external system such as a cesspit or pig trough. The sanitation improvement from having a Lavatory mean residents, guests, employees, & others who frequent the building gain a +2 bonus on Fortitude saves to resist contracting a disease while in the settlement. 120gps

Sitting room - used for meeting and entertaining in a relaxed, comfortable setting, such as a den, dining room, or smoking room. It has furnishings appropriate to its function (chairs for a sitting room, table and chairs for a dining room, and so on). By spending an hour conversing with guests in a social manner, the host of the room gains a +1 bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Knowledge (local), and Perform checks to influence or learn about those guests for the next 24 hours. 480gps

Storage - Any room used to store objects, keeping them out of the way for later use. A door to a Storage room includes an average lock. 120gps

Vault - Secure room designed to keep out intruders. The access to this space is controlled by an iron door with a good lock. If you upgrade this room to a Secret Room, the door retains its material and lock and also becomes a secret door. 300gps

Fortification - This upgrade can be applied to any room, reinforcing walls, improving doors, and treating or replacing flammable materials. Upon buying this upgrade, the room’s walls have their hardness increased by +2, the doors are improved to strong wooden doors (hardness 5, hit points 20), and walls and floors gain fire resistance 5. This upgrade doesn’t affect items within the room (for example, upgrading a Book Repository affects the structure, not the books within it). 300gps

2,670gps total

Last edited by Seekr34; Sep 15th, 2022 at 05:50 PM.
Old Sep 16th, 2022, 12:47 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 347
chaincomplex chaincomplex chaincomplex chaincomplex
No news is good news. I've taken a scan of all sheets so far and I'm only replying to those I have concerns about. I need to take a more in-depth look later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraconigenaArma View Post
We'll be laissez faire about crafting. This also applies to researching spells and so on. Assume that if you have the net wealth to do it, you've had enough time to do it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedtherest View Post
So first let me rain on your parade by saying I'm banning the trompe l'oeil. It's not that I don't want you to have a pet solar, it's that trompe l'oeil just breaks reality since in theory a sufficiently rich person can spam pet Cthulhu's forever at a very, very cheap price. This is something I considered earlier when I was wondering what the other factions in the campaign could do—or more precisely couldn't do—and since nobody else in the world can use this trick, neither can the PCs. It's not a very good trick either way since it's arbitrarily powerful in scope—you can just keep advancing a creature's HD and spam SLA wishes.

Second, I'm not sure what accounting you're doing for spending Downtime capital towards magic crafting, but there should be no way by Downtime rules for you to reduce the cost of crafting magic items to beneath 1/2 the price when converted to gp, plus or minus whatever esoteric character options there are out there. You're not assuming that there's a period of time your business has been running and generating capital, the assumption is your starting wealth is the in media res net worth of you and all your assets. By which I mean there's no Downtime rules trickery here that's available to players to reduce crafting costs, especially as all costs are denoted in purchased capital value.

Getting a philosopher's stone to power ascension is a cute trick and I'm OK with it. However you shouldn't be having some way to mitigate the 10,000 gp material component so you can't be having it up 24/7 unless you're somehow generating 10,000 gp every other day, which you almost certainly are not since SLA creation/wishing/etc. abuses are off the table and nobody has a business or kingdom of sufficient size for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekr34 View Post
This living space is fine by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonCausalFact View Post
Before you go further with this character concept—and it's not one I'm entirely against but having any direct Aroden connection is unlikely as you don't start with mythic ranks—it's important to make sure it mechanically works. What exact mechanism is this ring, and what precedent is there for its use?

Last edited by chaincomplex; Sep 16th, 2022 at 12:55 PM.
Old Sep 16th, 2022, 01:23 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
NonCausalFact NonCausalFact NonCausalFact NonCausalFact NonCausalFact NonCausalFact NonCausalFact NonCausalFact NonCausalFact
Quote:
Before you go further with this character concept—and it's not one I'm entirely against but having any direct Aroden connection is unlikely as you don't start with mythic ranks—it's important to make sure it mechanically works. What exact mechanism is this ring, and what precedent is there for its use?
Don't worry about that. I am creating the story completely without mythic levels, except for the time he has been a deity, but he gave up the entirety of his divine powers at the day of the Death of Prophecy (so, no trace of mythic ranks), returning to the ring. If he intended to become a god again, he would have to do it the same way any other person would, except for the fact that the current gods would receive him with a "You again?!?!".

By the way: he has never been an "immortal human", but just passed his ring from person to person, using magic to look the same throughout the millennia, while he was "playing Aroden" (Aroden would be a character he created in order to go further in History without giving too much of his origins).

At the moment the game starts, he will be a ring carried by a farmer, who is now possessed by the mind of a "regular" (except for being an intelligent magical item...) 20th level wizard with a whole lot of stories to tell.

...and I even worked the mechanics for not having a billion skill points: whatever skills you have that you don't practice in 50 years are lost. To me, it makes a lot of sense. The only skills I will max out in any and every shameless way possible are those related to history, religion and arcana... for obvious reasons.

The idea is not to have an "epic character", but a character with an "epic backstory".

Last edited by NonCausalFact; Sep 16th, 2022 at 01:56 PM.
Old Sep 16th, 2022, 01:27 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
No, I mean like, before you finish the story convince me you have a character who can make this ring and put himself in it fully within established mechanics.
Old Sep 16th, 2022, 02:27 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Oh, sorry! That is the point.

He could not. Never did, as he was sloppy as a wizard, back in the day (and that is why he is just a 20th level wizard, not a super-mythic-ranked archmage )... but he was the emperor of the Azlanti Empire and many of his personal scholars could. All he needed was to give the order.

A good number of artifacts in Golarion were created by the Azlanti wizards and it would not be a stretch to say the emperor himself could order one. In fact, I am not even saying it is an artifact, but more something akin to a magic jar that would keep Kallak alive for very, very long without having to become a lich - with the disadvantage of having to change bearers every 50 years or so...

Last edited by NonCausalFact; Sep 16th, 2022 at 02:33 PM.
Old Sep 16th, 2022, 04:20 PM
Paladin Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8553
Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis
Hirakawa Toshi should be posted up tonight or tomorrow.
If a character should multiclass (eg Monk 1/Samurai 19) How close would he be to adding his 20thand final level of Samurai?
Old Sep 16th, 2022, 04:36 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11076
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
Simple and efficient. Totally on board.
Old Sep 16th, 2022, 04:45 PM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2512
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
@Noncasualfact, as a Dark Sun fan....I'll be watching. lol
Old Sep 16th, 2022, 05:08 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5635
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Quote:
So first let me rain on your parade by saying I'm banning the trompe l'oeil. It's not that I don't want you to have a pet solar, it's that trompe l'oeil just breaks reality since in theory a sufficiently rich person can spam pet Cthulhu's forever at a very, very cheap price. This is something I considered earlier when I was wondering what the other factions in the campaign could do—or more precisely couldn't do—and since nobody else in the world can use this trick, neither can the PCs. It's not a very good trick either way since it's arbitrarily powerful in scope—you can just keep advancing a creature's HD and spam SLA wishes.
Yes, most DM's ban Trompe's for that very reason. What about Simulacrum's?
Quote:
Second, I'm not sure what accounting you're doing for spending Downtime capital towards magic crafting, but there should be no way by Downtime rules for you to reduce the cost of crafting magic items to beneath 1/2 the price when converted to gp, plus or minus whatever esoteric character options there are out there. You're not assuming that there's a period of time your business has been running and generating capital, the assumption is your starting wealth is the in media res net worth of you and all your assets. By which I mean there's no Downtime rules trickery here that's available to players to reduce crafting costs, especially as all costs are denoted in purchased capital value.
My accounting was as follows:
-Magic Capitol (100 GP each) can be earned by a Skill Check, the amount you earn in a day is the result of that check divided by 10, then pay half of the cost of the Capitol (50 GP each). It can also be bought at cost.
-Midas had taken the Focused Overseer Feat, which allows him to earn Magic Capitol at half of the usual cost (25 GP each.)
-Magic Capitol can be used as either costly Spell Components, or as the Materials for Magic Item Construction.
-This would allow him to Create Magic Items at one eighth of their Market Price.

Are you banning this as he cannot have amassed these prior to the start, but could start doing it when the Game begins, or he cannot use it at all?
Quote:
Getting a philosopher's stone to power ascension is a cute trick and I'm OK with it. However you shouldn't be having some way to mitigate the 10,000 gp material component so you can't be having it up 24/7 unless you're somehow generating 10,000 gp every other day, which you almost certainly are not since SLA creation/wishing/etc. abuses are off the table and nobody has a business or kingdom of sufficient size for it.
Alchemical Allocation
School transmutation; Level alchemist 2

CASTING

Casting Time 1 standard action
Components S

EFFECT

Range personal
Targets you
Duration 1 round

DESCRIPTION

This extract causes a pale aura to emanate from your mouth.

If you consume a potion or elixir on the round following the consumption of this extract, you can spit it back into its container as a free action. You gain all the benefits of the potion or elixir, but it is not consumed. You can only gain the benefits of one potion or elixir in this way per use of this extract.
Alchemical Allocation works on both Potions and Elixers, even this one.

Last edited by triedtherest; Sep 16th, 2022 at 05:15 PM.
Old Sep 16th, 2022, 05:12 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5304
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Cool, thanks
Old Sep 16th, 2022, 06:28 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonCausalFact View Post
A good number of artifacts in Golarion were created by the Azlanti wizards and it would not be a stretch to say the emperor himself could order one. In fact, I am not even saying it is an artifact, but more something akin to a magic jar that would keep Kallak alive for very, very long without having to become a lich - with the disadvantage of having to change bearers every 50 years or so...
You'll need to work out exactly how this ring works as a magic item per established item mechanics (then buy it). It's one thing to have reincarnation in a backstory, it's another to have a magic item present on a character that can be removed, disjoined, dropped in an antimagic field, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maghnuis View Post
Hirakawa Toshi should be posted up tonight or tomorrow.
If a character should multiclass (eg Monk 1/Samurai 19) How close would he be to adding his 20thand final level of Samurai?
Pathfinder ends at 20 class levels, so your only option to cap off Samurai is to retrain the Monk level.

Quote:
Simulacrums are fine—though you should know I interpret the healing line in the simulacrum description strictly—and OKed on the alchemical allocation trick.

Quote:
Are you banning this as he cannot have amassed these prior to the start, but could start doing it when the Game begins, or he cannot use it at all?
Earlier when I discussed Downtime rules I restricted all purchases under Downtime to be non-earned, purchased cost only. Only in the campaign proper will standard Downtime earnings be in play.

The principled reasoning is that the purchased cost is established to reflect market cost, and you're already looking at the market cost of raw ingredients, but the more important reason is that Downtime directly converts time into wealth with no drawback, and PCs start with an arbitrary amount of background time. In other words it's a zero-cost option that everyone either takes or gets gimped in wealth, moreso than magic crafting because there at least there's an opportunity cost to not being a non-crafting build and not taking non-crafting feats.

Last edited by chaincomplex; Sep 16th, 2022 at 06:31 PM.
Old Sep 16th, 2022, 06:48 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
You'll need to work out exactly how this ring works as a magic item per established item mechanics (then buy it). It's one thing to have reincarnation in a backstory, it's another to have a magic item present on a character that can be removed, disjoined, dropped in an antimagic field, etc.
Completely agreed.

I will pause the story and work on the ring, then.
Old Sep 16th, 2022, 07:44 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5635
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Quote:
Simulacrums are fine—though you should know I interpret the healing line in the simulacrum description strictly—and OKed on the alchemical allocation trick.
The description for Alchemical Simulacrum (and by extension, the Greater version) specifically call them out as being Creatures instead of Supernatural Effects like regular Simulacrums. Coupled with the fact that the cost to repair a regular Simulacrum is the same as the cost to make the Alchemical version, infer that the Alchemical Simulacrum should heal like a regular Creature of the type it's based on.

How do you rule on the SLA's of Simulacrum's?

Quote:
Earlier when I discussed Downtime rules I restricted all purchases under Downtime to be non-earned, purchased cost only. Only in the campaign proper will standard Downtime earnings be in play.

The principled reasoning is that the purchased cost is established to reflect market cost, and you're already looking at the market cost of raw ingredients, but the more important reason is that Downtime directly converts time into wealth with no drawback, and PCs start with an arbitrary amount of background time. In other words it's a zero-cost option that everyone either takes or gets gimped in wealth, moreso than magic crafting because there at least there's an opportunity cost to not being a non-crafting build and not taking non-crafting feats.
So, theoretically, would Midas be able to use the mechanic's I described in game after play began?
Old Sep 16th, 2022, 08:43 PM
Paladin Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8553
Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis
How much "time into wealth" would each character have available? Where would the simplest version of this be explained?
Thx