RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Sep 17th, 2022, 04:40 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18501
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Blackguard

Blackguard

The premiseThe Kingdom of Valent has known peace for several hundred years. Ever since the war with the Fey Queen and her court ended suddenly and without explanation, receding back into the confines of the Fae Wood, Valent has been the unrivaled power on the continent.

Dangers beyond political rivals still existed however, and so a little over two hundred years ago, King Desmund of Valent and his court mage devised a plan to bolster the kingdom's army without endangering its law abiding citizens.

Criminals that were sentenced to die would be given the choice of either joining the Blackguard, a company of the Valent military consisting primarily of criminals, or being summarily executed. To ensure their obedience, these men and women of the Blackguard swear their allegiance on the Oathstone, one of the few remaining relics from the time of the fae. Upon swearing on the stone, the oathtaker becomes compelled to adhere to their oaths. Only with incredible force of will could a person deviate from their oaths, and even then, it would be done with incredible pain and even death.

The oath taken by the Blackguard was known as the Sacramentum:

I swear that I shall faithfully execute all that the Throne commands,
that I shall never desert the service,
and that I shall not seek to avoid death for the Kingdom of Valencia

The RulesetBlackguard is a fantasy game, but with with little in the way of traditional everyday magic. As such, player classes, while possessing abilities that might mirror some spells or spell-like abilities, will not be out-right casters. To reflect this, I am using a modified version of the classes found in Adventures in Middle Earth. A guide detailing class options can be found HERE.

In addition, applicants will be using Xanathar's Guide to Everything's lifepath generation tables for rolling up their character histories. All of the information needed for the lifepath tables can be found in the guide. Rolls should NOT be made in this thread. Please make all rolls HERE.

If your prefer a pdf, or have trouble viewing the link above, a pdf can be found HERE. (updated 9/20)

I will also be using One D&D's backgrounds, which have been detailed in the guide.

Character Creation All of the player characters in Blackguard are just that, members of the Blackguard, sentenced to spend the rest of their days in service to Valencia.

Character Creation:
  • Define Ability Scores (27-point buy)
  • Select your background
  • Select your class
  • Roll on the lifepath to discover your character's history (Rolls made HERE)

Applications should include:
  • Name
  • Background
  • Class
  • Description/Personality
  • History (based on lifepath)

Application
  • Deadline date: 10/8
  • # of players: 4-5
  • Starting level: 1
  • Target post rate: 2 posts/week

Last edited by Silent Rain; Sep 20th, 2022 at 04:38 PM.
Old Sep 17th, 2022, 04:42 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Applications
Player Name Background Class Status
Damionovich Gore Soldier Warrior WIP
mightymconeshot TBD Urchin Treasure Hunter WIP
delpinator Geoffrey feneick Soldier Warrior WIP
The Rat Queen Meriel Ashworth Entertainer Warden Complete
97mg Khloe Cintos Artisan Scholar Complete
JaredSyn Aeloric TBD Wanderer Complete
Onward Zoe Cameltoe Artisan Scholar Complete
Talissen70 Arnys Criminal Treasure Hunter WIP
KhamLuc Zintia Dorlm Sailor Slayer Complete
Azure Nokori Sayers Criminal Treasure Hunter WIP
Drachenspirit Cirra Warglow Charlatan Treasure Hunter WIP
Voodoozombie Margo Blackway Noble Slayer WIP

Last edited by Silent Rain; Sep 25th, 2022 at 09:59 PM.
Old Sep 17th, 2022, 06:34 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 686
Damionovich Damionovich Damionovich Damionovich Damionovich Damionovich
Interested. Is there a starting level?

right-aligned image

Gore The Old Timer
Name; Gnarled Leatherskin
Note; Nobody recalls Gnarled's real name, even himself. He has been in the Blackguard for so long that his previous life is a blur. The one thing that is excessively clear is that this man was an extortionist and terrorized civilians prior to his conscription.

Appearance: Gnarled is 6'2" about 215 pounds, has salt/pepper gray hair that is cut short. His right ear was ripped off with only a little flap that healed into an odd scar slab of skin. He suffered from a disease while serving in the swamp-lands campaign which left scarred lesions on his face. His surname has become Leatherskin to describe the condition of his skin after years of harsh service. His appearance is difficult to look at and his voice is a low, gravelly tone which makes him sound as if he is growling at people.

Background: Soldier
Class; Warrior
Personality; I'm haunted by memories of war. I can't get the images of violence out of my mind.
Ideal; When people follow orders blindly, it is a form of tyranny.
Bond; My honor is my life.
Flaw; The monstrous enemy we faced in battle still leaves me quivering with fear.
History (based on lifepath) WIP

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gore7.jpeg
Views:	238
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	97082  

Last edited by Damionovich; Sep 18th, 2022 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Added Roll Results
Old Sep 17th, 2022, 07:08 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Level 1
Old Sep 17th, 2022, 08:11 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33516
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Feeling dark? How are things Rain, wish you the best for your game!

Last edited by MoonZar; Sep 18th, 2022 at 12:18 AM.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 12:14 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11783
mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot
NameTBA
Background Urchin
Class Treasure Hunter
Description/Personality TBA
History (based on lifepath)

Ability Scores
Str.Agi.Con.Int.Wis.Cha.

Elevator Pitch Summary
Parents gone (1 dead, 1 disappeared), raised by Aunt/Uncle in Rundown Shack with Modest Living. Hung with Urchins and joined thieving gang. Took skills went pro and started to wander looking for adventure. Married and did.....

Ended up in Blackguard.

Last edited by mightymconeshot; Sep 18th, 2022 at 04:45 PM.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 12:30 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3814
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
name Geoffrey feneick
race human
class warrior
background solider
Ideal family is worth fighting for
Bond I will return my family's name to the honor it once held.
Flaw I obey the law even if it causes misery.
Traits I face problems head on and the memories of war still haunt me.

Background rolls(backstory)
I was born in the healers hut. My mother was then taken shortly after. My father raised me modestly in a small house. I was trained from birth to save my mother and restore my family name. My life continued and I befriended an adventurer. I came upon a leftover artifact from the time of the fey and became invisible for sometime. I joined the blackguard out of honor than being enforced as it was easiest way to begin to honor my family's name. I'm currently 45.

Last edited by delpinator; Sep 21st, 2022 at 04:03 AM.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 07:19 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9246
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Placeholder very interested.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 11:58 AM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25402
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Meriel Ashworth
Background: Entertainer
Class: Warden

Description/Personality: An attractive copper-haired woman in her twenties, about five-and-a-half feet tall with a slender build, Meriel enjoys performing and being the center of attention. She employs jokes and a quick wit to do both, but the surface joviality hides deeper insecurity and pain, which she is loathe to reveal to anyone. She wears flashy, bright clothing as part of her image and tries to experience life as much as she can. While she enjoys flirtation and romantic encounters, she has no desire for marriage or children, preferring to remain free to wander. Her induction into the Blackguard hasn't dampened this, as it accomplished two things she appreciates greatly: it kept her alive and it grants her the means to travel and see new things. The only thing she doesn't like about it is being bound by oath and taking orders from her commanders. However, she's wise enough to know better than to be directly defiant, using her charm and humor to diffuse all but the hardest of commanding officers and otherwise finding more subtle ways to subvert authority.

History (based on lifepath): Born to a modest upbringing in a small house as the middle of five children, Meriel didn't grow up poor, though her childhood was not exactly happy. Her father, Dederick, was a wandering artisan who was seldom home. His success earned enough coin to put food on the table, but was not enough to keep her free-spirited mother Githa, a huntress by trade, trapped at home. Though a sense of duty kept her at home for awhile, Githa couldn't take the constraints of an absentee husband and five children, and eventually escaped to find her freedom. Before leaving, however, she bade Meriel to do the same when she was old enough, to escape the same fate, advice Meriel has kept close to her heart.

Growing up, Meriel was a creative child, making up stories to tell or songs to sing. Unfortunately, these antics were seen by others in her small town as being different or strange, and so she had few companions as a child. Not quite shunned, but definitely not accepted socially, Meriel felt lost and alone until one fateful day when she saw a bard perform once as he was passing through, playing and singing to earn his supper, and knew from that moment on what she was born to do. Seeing his daughter's interest, and growing tired of her begging, he brought home a used lute when returning from his travels one day. Though it was really too big for her initially, Meriel threw herself whole-heartedly into learning, spending countless hours teaching herself to play through trial and error, eventually awakening her latent musical talents. Her skill grew, and she eventually began earning enough coin to support herself and sought out her mother, hoping to reconnect.

Her mother, however, had little use for reconnecting personally with her daughter. In poor health due to a hunting accident, she instead forced Meriel to 'earn her keep' by providing for them both. Perhaps the young girl would have been willing to do so, if not for her mother's constant cruelty and criticism. Expressing disbelief that Meriel was earning coins playing music to crowds in taverns and inns, Githa instead insisted that Meriel was entertaining in a much more ribald fashion. Angry at being old and disabled, with her youth wasted on children and a failed marriage, her mother lashed out at Meriel, who eventually left the destructive environment...abandoning her mother the way she'd been abandoned years before. Still, she could not bring herself to stay angry with her mother, instead making excuses for Githa's behavior due to her troubles and poor health.

Meriel wandered the lands, playing for coin when she could, begging or fast-talking when she couldn't. She sought out her older sister Tacey, who had gone off to study academia. Muriel felt bad for her, as she was struggling financially with a husband and small children, and feared that she would walk the same path their mother had. She could only offer prayers for her eldest brother Moss, a sailor who traveled the seas to ply his trade. She hadn't seen him since he left home, and wasn't sure she ever would again. Her younger brother, Jeptha, had left their father's house about the time Meriel had freed herself from her mother's clutches, and had trained as a warrior, wandering the lands as an adventurer in much the same manner as Meriel. She hoped to catch up to him someday and perhaps even adventure together, and always kept an ear tuned for rumors of his location. She did not seek out her youngest sibling, Baldric. He had always been a bully growing up, inheriting their mother's cruelty, and become a soldier before becoming maimed in the wars.

At one point, Meriel found troops of some sort of militia encamped nearby and decided to earn a few coins playing for the soldiers. All went well until the camp was attacked. Meriel was caught up in the fighting, and was knocked out and left for dead. She woke up hours later surrounded by bodies, with no recollection of the battle. The good news was that she was alive. The bad news was that the army she'd found had actually been rebels against the Empire. Survivors, including Meriel, were captured and imprisoned. The guards were surprised, at first, to find that Meriel was not dedicated to any cause contrary to imperial interests, and mostly believed that she'd simply been at the wrong place at the wrong time. Of course, she'd still been consorting with rebels, knowingly or not, and had technically fought against imperial troops, whether she was defending herself or not, so simply releasing her was not an option. Instead, she was offered a position in the Blackguard, rather than being executed for treason. Having few options that didn't involve her grisly demise, she agreed and took the Oath.

Last edited by The Rat Queen; Sep 19th, 2022 at 03:48 PM.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 01:02 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Hey gang, glad to see so much interest right out the gate. Once everyone gets their apps fleshed out a bit, I'll throw them into a chart.

As always, please feel free to ask any questions.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 01:57 PM
Shakiest Gun in the Verse

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14669
kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth
The class options link takes me to a blank page. There's stuff in the source code, but it doesn't draw anything. It seems to just be me?
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 03:32 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot
It did that on my mobile phone when I followed the link in the dice roller thread. On my desktop I was able to drag it off. The link at the top of the page that says class options here works normally for me.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 03:44 PM
Shakiest Gun in the Verse

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14669
kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth
That worked. Thanks Mighty, and I hope we get to play together.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 04:29 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Link in the dice thread should now be working correctly. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 04:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
For races, just the human version listed in the blackguard book? Is there a varient human avaliable for a feat choice? Will multi-classing be avaliable?

Also at least for me on Lifepath and Family and Friends the page appears to be trying to make three columns but there isn't room so it is stretched off page.

Last edited by mightymconeshot; Sep 18th, 2022 at 04:35 PM.