RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Sep 18th, 2022, 04:56 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18501
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Yes, all characters are human. I am using the One D&D human attributes, which do provide a feat at 1st level. In addition to the feat provided by the background, this provides each character 2 feats at 1st level (consisting solely of the ones found in the guide).

Yes, multiclassing will be allowed.

Class Ability Score Minimum
Scholar Intelligence 13
Slayer Strength 13
Treasure Hunter Dexterity 13
Wanderer Constitution 13
Warden Charisma 13
Warrior Strength or Dexterity 13

For those having trouble viewing the link to the guide, I have also provided a pdf link as well.

Last edited by Silent Rain; Sep 18th, 2022 at 06:02 PM.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 05:06 PM
Shakiest Gun in the Verse

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14669
kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth
Seems like they barrowed a fair bit from Conan. Love that game.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 06:13 PM

Tools
User Statistics
kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth
I know part of this is that I'm stupid, but is anyone else having trouble seeing the childhood memories section? Seems the page is too wide for the format. There is also text on the previous page regarding siblings that is also cut off.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 06:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11783
mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot
Okay. Final mechanics question, are we able to stack the human racial +2 with the background +2 for a 19 starting attribute or still a max of 15+2 for 17?
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 08:27 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 686
Damionovich Damionovich Damionovich Damionovich Damionovich Damionovich
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
I know part of this is that I'm stupid, but is anyone else having trouble seeing the childhood memories section? Seems the page is too wide for the format. There is also text on the previous page regarding siblings that is also cut off.
Nope, it isn't you. Mine is cut off too. I'm lucky that I was an only child. I blame my parents for raising me to be an extortionist.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 10:08 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1361
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
This looks fun! Working through the lifepath stuff now
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 10:14 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Unfortunately, I am not seeing the text cut off on my end. I have seen instances where different browsers can display these differently from one to another. I would suggest using the pdf link I added to my 1st post. There should be no issues displaying that, regardless of browser.

Regarding ability scores, with One D&D, the bonuses are no longer ties to the races, but rather to the background. Humans do not have a +2 bonus, but the various backgrounds would have a +2 and +1 bonus. Yes, 15 is the highest score you can set your ability score to before bonuses are applied.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 10:25 PM

Tools
User Statistics
The PDF is golden. I suggest everyone use that. It's the Homebrewery link that has the funky formatting.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 11:00 PM

Tools
User Statistics
The Lore SkillIf Lore replaces Arcana in skills, then a Background that has Arcana should say Lore, correct? Also, Lore seems to cover History as well. Is this intended and should therefore replace that as well?

If I get Lore from my class as well as my background, can I take another academic skill in it's place? Such as Fae-Lore, History (if it is not replaced), Nature or Religion?

Same is true of History. If my class grants the History skill, can a swap it out?

Basically, Sage gives you Arcana and History. Scholar gives you Lore. The overlap for a character who basically drinks and knows things is counter-intuitive. Gimmie skills. All of them.

Misunderstanding with the Scholar ClassAlso, Scholar has as proficiancies the following:
Tools: Healing kit or herbalism kit, a choice of artisan’s
tools or a pipe

Do you need a proficiancy to smoke a pipe or is there a typo or two?

Does some or all of this belong under Equipment?

Scholar Equipment seems a bit lean.

Last edited by kenneth; Sep 18th, 2022 at 11:32 PM.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 11:57 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Some things shouldn't be published...
right-aligned image

Sheet: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=91676
Lifepath: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...18#post9548018

Name: Khloe Cintos

Class & Background: Scholar & Artisan

Party Role: Healer, plotter, schemer and general "thinker".

DM tool for insertion of plot devices such as rumors, history, and maybe even world events? Scholars always know a little bit about everything and the Game Master should regularly give you rumors or information based on your appropriate passive ability checks."

Why Was I Enlisted: Perhaps I published something less than savory, about King Desmund's use of criminals as a workforce. Then ironically, as punishment, I was made to become one of them...

Appearance: It is rare for a scribe of words to find need to write about how they might look... to the outside world. It almost feels unnecessarily self-indulgent. But who am I fooling? All of my texts are indulgent in one way or another! Artistic hypocrisy. Nothing too wrong with a little of that, I guess. I spend a great deal of time writing about my perceptions of others, so it only seems fair to be challenged to write about myself from time to time.

With a father who was a monster's meal, and a mother who saw fit to produce enough children to colonize a new land, I guess there needs to be a few blessings along the way. I dare say my brothers and sisters are all well-formed, healthy individuals, and many share similar traits with me. A slim build. Auburn hair. Well-defined and pleasing facial features, which tend to be a wonderful tool in negotiations, yet a curse when attempting to go about one's business, unrecognized. Some used to say my sisters and I were "fair beauties", if that is anything to go by.

Of our litter, I was never the strongest nor most agile. Being middle-born had other benefits though, and I soon found my strengths were in negotiating the needs of those siblings younger and older, in a charming way of course. Reading too, and later the arts, came almost naturally.

Unless I am directly in want of something, or making an appearance in public, you'll likely find my hair a mess, and these fingers darkened with the stains of ink. When society demands, or when the leverage of a woman's attractiveness be required, I make allowances for such things, but never too much. I am of modest upbringing, after all.

Personality: Now you ask me to discuss my personality? How incredibly odd! Surely an unbiased opinion would come from those I know closely, and have worked with? Oh well... I'll be the first to confess that I am... emotional. A dreamer, and romanticist. These are hard things to balance with a love of both knowledge and facts, and these facets on opposing sides always seem to fight for attention. I probably drift between them, quite unexpectedly for some. A fantasizer one minute, a hard-truth giver the next...

I would like to think of myself as being a quiet type, yet also personable and compassionate. Death of one's own can teach a young woman many things, and what good is "knowing", without "sharing".

Anyway, here is what a few others have to say:

Rillak Fodolgi - Artisan's Guildmaster "The rosy cheeks give away the truth of this lass. She might present in a farmer's linens, but be not fooled. Her eyes are alert. Her ears ever listening. As a student, one could ask for no better, and as a painter's model, one could ask for no better in that too. Khloe dances a line between anonymity and greater purpose, cynicism and a heart that deeply seeks adoration. And, adore her, I do."

Janelli Cintos - Younger Sister and Successful Slayer "Khloe bores me, until she doesn't. My mind drifts off when she talks of lore and the finer points on those individuals I hunt. She is trustworthy with such information, but she becomes far more interesting when I prod her with questions of love, ambition, or just get a few sips of wine into her. She can paint. She can write. But she certainly can't fight, haha."

History (The Short Version):
  • Shortly after birth, my father was killed by a monster.
  • Left with six children, my mother abandoned me to my grandparents. She later went on to take a new husband, bringing three half-siblings into the world.
  • I grew up with my grandparents, whilst my other siblings remained with my mother. She was probably no match for me in an argument, and my ability to assist with manual tasks around the household did not suit my childhood dreams and desires. My grandparent's home was modest and simple, an apartment in a rundown neighborhood.
  • From the time I could hold a quill or brush, I was always painting and marking parchment. At the age of 15 my grandparents took me to meet Rillak Fodolgi, who then took me on as an apprentice.
  • Getting by, by selling pieces of art and short novellas, as well as assisting other households with letter-writing and the like, things went well for quite a time. Then, last year, I wrote and distributed "Power For The Undeserving". It was an illustrated critique of our King's recycling of murderers and law breakers, into those who now enforced said laws and did our leader's bidding.
  • I was imprisoned. Tried. And conscripted...

OOCHi @Silent Rain! this was a fun process. I always enjoyed The Witcher RPG lifepath creation, so doing so for a different style of game was a treat.

In her lifepath, she is supposed to make friends with an adventurer. Rather than rolling for it, I wondered if this might end up being one of the other characters? If Khloe is accepted, she'd be happy to scheme such a relationship together with one of the other PCs.

Does a leather jerkin offer any kind of protection in this setting?

I took the Preternatural Ability feat... so perhaps the Produce Flame cantrip could be re-fluffed as her being able to ignite some paint solvent and fling it around XD

Last edited by 97mg; Sep 19th, 2022 at 08:06 AM.
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 01:15 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
The Lore Skill replaces Arcana, history remains as is, and the Fae-Lore skill is added to the mix.

Quote:
Lore (New Skill)
Your Intelligence (Lore) check measures your ability to recall unusual and obscure information about old legends, ancient war gear, bits of song, rare artifacts, and the reading of runes. Lore replaces the Arcana skill.

Fae-Lore (New Skill)
A dark branch of knowledge, Intelligence (Fae-lore) checks allow you to share what youve learned about the ways of the fae and the various creatures that stalk through the shadows that serve them. Where Lore deals with the past, Fae-Lore deals with the present and the rising threat of the faes many minions.
The Sage background still listed Arcana as a skill, which has now been replaced with Lore.

Yes, if your class gives you a skill that you already have, you may select one of the other options presented to you in your class options.

Anyone can smoke, but those that are proficient with it, have a few extra perks.

Quote:
Regarding pipes...

Proficiency with a pipe means you practice the art of smoking and likely have some skill at blowing smoke-rings. Smoking a pipe can aid in both introspection and friendly chatting with fellow practitioners of the art.

If you spend an hour smoking your pipe while considering a problem, you may make an ability check with your proficiency bonus against a Difficulty Class 15. On a success, you make the immediate follow-on check with advantage. On a failure, you wasted an hour, but had a good smoke.
Yes, scholars don't start with much in the way of arms and armor. That said, as the Blackguards are a military unit, they will be outfitted with at least basic gear.

I have a few things to add in the way of Equipment and Tools before the game gets underway.
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 02:15 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@Damionovich Gnarled Leatherskin: Scary!

@The Rat Queen Meriel Ashworth: Similar age, I see potential for friendship here! Your father (artisan) could be a friend of my previous artisan guildmaster who offered Khloe an apprenticeship? A painter and a musician could be an interesting duo XD. You sing to them, I'll paint them, and then whilst they are distracted, Leatherskin can... you know... capture them or something.

I know its too early to do this stuff... but it is fun to scheme anyway lol.

Last edited by 97mg; Sep 19th, 2022 at 02:17 AM.
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 10:34 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9246
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Application
right-aligned image

Sheet: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=91678
Lifepath: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...56#post9548356

Name: Aeloric

Class & Background: Wanderer

Party Role: Hunter, Tracker.

Appearance: Aeloric is an average looking young man with blond hair reaching down to his shoulders and piercing blue eyes. He has a lithe yet muscular build and is obviously no stranger to physical exercise. He typically wears a very short beard framing his strong jaw.

Personality: Aeloric is an outgoing yet somewhat reserved individual, who is not always fast to make friends but would give his life to protect one. Growing up he had a hard life living in a rundown shack with his parents and two younger siblings a brother and sister. He was always small as a boy and many thought he had some sort of ailment or other. As such he was often picked on by the larger kids, and it made him untrusting of others.

He tends towards a more serious nature, and focuses on the task at hand when doing anything. HE is a firm believer that anything worth doing is worth doing right. His views in regards to law and order are less mainstream, and he is not above doing whatever is necessary to survive.

[B]History: As a young boy in a small town living in a rundown shack on the outskirts, with his parents and younger brother and sister life was difficult. Made even more so by the fact that until his teens he was on the smaller side and often picked on by the larger boys. His mother worked the home and his father worked as a wood cutter, so their income was very low to say the least. Still his parents always made sure the children were kept fed, and clothed even if it meant clothing that was constantly repaired and reused.

When Aeloric was 14 he fell in with a bad group of boys from the village, and ended up getting into trouble. One time even being forced to flee from a neighboring village, when himself and the other boys burglarized a home. They were all poor and the home was well appointed and it was obvious those who lived there were wealthy even though he escaped he was seen and several other boys captured. When his parents learned of the crime they cast him out for shaming their family in such a way. fortunately Aeloric's uncle took him on and brought him along on his own adventures, teaching him to hunt and track across the lands.

At the age of 17 Aeloric and his Uncle were swept into battle conscripted into service. They fought in several battles before Aeloric fell in battle and was left behind for dead. When he came to he found himself alone and unaware of what had happened behind enemy lines. Using the skill his uncle had taught him he made his way to safety and the company of his comrades once more. When they were released from service Aeloric chose to go on his own path, as his uncle decided to return and visit family. Aeloric still shamed by his being outcast making his own way.

It was during his travels that he came across an ancient crumbling shrine deep in the forest. He had barely entered when he heard a noise and turned to discover a strange creature looking at him. Even as he saw it he felt his body stiffen and turn to stone. Aeloric remained petrified for several years, before he was rescued by an adventuring party. Free of his petrification Aeloric continued on his way with the party for a short while. Unfortunately the adventuring group came across hard times, and broke apart each going their own ways. One of the others a warrior priest blaming Aeloric for the group disbanding. Aeloric knew it was not his fault but it did not change his new rivals opinion.

Aeloric has been traveling ever since, making his way working as hunter and tracker. Mostly living on the trails and occasionally an inn when he has the coin to do so.

Character review Welcomed openly.

Last edited by JaredSyn; Sep 19th, 2022 at 12:30 PM.
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 10:49 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3826
Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward
App
right-aligned image

Name: Zoe Cameltoe
Background: Artisam
Class: Scholar
Description/Personality:Zoe stands at a small height of 4'8", and with a healthy build. She usually wears formal attire, always trying to look presentable, especially to guests. Her blonde hair is tied up to make a ponytail, and she doesn't wear much make-up toward her fair skin.

As for her personality, well to her friends she's usually a calm woman, not very confrontational. Always the gentle sort, and not really the type to hold a conversation for long. Which is a wide contrast to her younger sister, who is always loud, confrontational, and aggressively good at stealing people's money through simple talking. Zoe loves her sister dearly.

Ever since she was a child, she'd had a passion for painting, she was never good with words and always loved expressing her emotions through the canvas. However, Zoe has developed psychological problems when her parents left her. Throughout her life she's been put through dangers that took a mental toll on her mind, and it seeped through her paintings. She tried her best not to show it to her family and friends, she even tried to move on. But after a certain incident, her mental health got worse, to the point where death seemed like the only option, but even then she could not get such reprieve.
History: Zoe was born in a modest family of merchants. Zoe still remembers fondly, though her sister, Lyn, can't because she was only an infant after that incident. When Zoe was ten, she remembers everything that happened and it still haunts her to this day. They're parents were simply doing your daily travel trip to trade supplies. Zoe really wanted to go with them, she didn't want to be alone with Lyn all week, she wanted to spend some more time with them. She wished she didn't, for she didn't have to bore witness to it all. The family decided to leave Lyn with Grandma, but as they traveled, they were attacked by monsters, she didn't know what they were called but she'll remember their faces and forms for the rest of their days. She saw them maim and devour her parents, while she hid to watch it all.

After that tragedy, Zoe and Lyn lived with Grandma for the rest of their lives. For a time, Zoe couldn't recover from what she saw. But, she lived in a neighborhood filled with good folk, she made a lot of friends there and they helped her back up with her own two feet. And when her sister came along to be her friend, she started forgetting about the memory more and more. She was happy with her life.

Yet, when she grew up, her life changed more and more. Her sister became a well-respected merchant, and she became a beloved artist among the community. She even met new friends of the adventuring sort. One was Ashe Gutterson, though his middle name is Eugene, he'd rather people not refer to his full name. He is also a wanderer that is just the definition of wandering explorer, and also a good guide for abandoned ruins.. And another was Cassidy Winterheart, she was your run of the mill labourer looking to be a warrior of renown, and someone she fell in love with. These two, along with her sister, became their own fellowship, they would set out through expeditions to find all kinds of strange artifacts. One in particular became a hobby of Zoe, runes and the scholarly kind of books. With one read, she became infatuated by such artistic runes engraved in a piece of paper, so she studied and studied until she took up the scholar profession as a hobby. Though her sister thinks of it more of a secret obsession.

However, things didn't go so well later on. Zoe and Cassidy decided one day to start adventuring together, exploring the world as lovers. But, when they were attacked by monsters, Zoe's trauma suddenly triggered and things started crashing down. She panicked and ran, she didn't know what happened to Cassidy after that, she didn't hear anything from her ever again. Ever since then she's been shell shocked about it and blaming herself for losing someone she truly loved.

She was not at a good place and decided to have some comfort from her grandmother, whose addled mind was starting to deteriorate, though the two sisters always visit her regularly. When she came to take care of her, she laid bare to her what happened to Cassidy. Yet, she knew she wouldn't get much comfort. Instead, she received something that put her on the edge of breaking point. Her grandmother started reminiscing of a time she forgot, a time she dreaded and wanted to keep forgetting. Her grandma told her a time where as a child she explained to her what actually happened in that incident. When she was traveling with her parents to their last trip, she started causing a tantrum, she couldn't remember what it was about. It was probably something minor, childish even. That was what attracted those creatures, they were attracted to her cries, she was the cause of their deaths.

After remembering this, something within Zoe snapped, and in that moment, a dark thought manifested. Made out of guilt, fear, and cowardness, she grabbed her grandma's letter knife and stabbed her. It was a small cut to the shoulder, yet it was enough to give the old woman a heart attack and she died. Zoe lived through the motions after that, their was a murder trial and she was considered the most likely suspect, but through the many support of her friends, and sister, she was let off the case and removed as a suspect. Everyone never would have believed that she was actually guilty. The only person that knew was herself, and she absolutely loathed it. For months, the revelation ate up at her, the things she did and what she did to her loved ones were all too much to handle. She now understood that she was the monster that consumed them all, and she needed to die in order to make sure no one else could be consumed by her again.

So she privately talked to the guard captain, revealed that she was the killer all along and wished for a death penalty. Yet, they didn't give her one. It was either a cruel punishment, or a justifiable one, either way, she was instead sentenced to the oathstone and she made a vow. This was her punishment, to serve the throne as a blackguard. Maybe it was fitting for her, at least she couldn't hurt anyone she loved anymore.
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 11:01 AM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25402
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97mg View Post
@The Rat Queen Meriel Ashworth: Similar age, I see potential for friendship here! Your father (artisan) could be a friend of my previous artisan guildmaster who offered Khloe an apprenticeship? A painter and a musician could be an interesting duo XD. You sing to them, I'll paint them, and then whilst they are distracted, Leatherskin can... you know... capture them or something.

I know its too early to do this stuff... but it is fun to scheme anyway lol.
Two middle-child redheads, ostracized as children and about as out of place in the Blackguard as a poodle driving a monster truck? (What, they can't reach the pedals.) Sounds like the stuff of legends!