Old Sep 20th, 2022, 01:52 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 686
Damionovich Damionovich Damionovich Damionovich Damionovich Damionovich
Quote:
Originally Posted by GleefulNihilism View Post
I mean, I'm interested. But it's kind of hard to imagine a level 1 character realistically having accomplished *anything* in their life that would warrent a death sentence. Any chance of bumping that level up a bit?
I was playing with my brand new sling shot when the rock jumped out and killed a kobold that was hiding in a nearby tree. I was so lucky that rock was there when it was.
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 01:56 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24634
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
If it was a Kobald they'd give you a Reward, not a Death Sentence.
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 03:23 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18501
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
I have added chart to the 2nd post in the thread, detailing the applications thus far.

I will be going through those that have indicated their applications are complete, but that may not happen until the weekend.

As for starting level, I have been on the fence if I will have everyone start at level 2, but it would definitely not be higher than that.
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 03:27 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Oh, I'm with you in spirit. The game is more fun at lower levels anyway. Just pointing out that Kittens put up a decent fight against Level 1's and you expect us all to be hardened criminals? :P

Last edited by GleefulNihilism; Sep 20th, 2022 at 03:41 PM.
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 03:35 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27633
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Cirra
left-aligned image
Name: Cirra Warglow <------ Character Sheet

Background: Charlatan

Class: Treasure Hunter

Description/Personality: At 21 years of age, Cirra stands 5'6" tall with Hazel eyes and brown hair. Cirra can be the life of the party in a moment's notice. She's scary good, a natural, at talking people into things and talking her way into and out of things. She can do impersonations with amazing accuracy, so much so that those on the guard with her often ask her to impersonate their superiors in joking situations. Whatno one wants to hear - and it's likely no one will unless they're intimate friends or she's drunk - are her hopes that something huge will change with the guard and set her free of it. But, a vow is a vow, so until that time comes - however unlikely -, she'll do what she must. That doesn't mean she isn't going to have fun doing it. After all, a life not lived to its fullest extent possible is no life worth living.

History (based on lifepath): For her past, she knows who parents are, mother and father, and was born to these young parents who were living in a shed at the time. She had grown up in Modest Lifestyle, though it was in an Apartment in rundown neighborhood of the township/city. Others saw her as being different or strange due to the fact that she was always talking, even to herself as she had no siblings, and so she had few companions.
War ravaged her home community, reducing everything to rubble and ruin. Before the war reached her community, her father went off to fight in it and disappeared to some unknown fate, perhaps killed in a battle though no word came back to her or her mother.
In the aftermath of the war times were hard, and her mother married her off for some coin and so she'd have a chance at a life. The man she wed was older, and wasn't mean to her so much, but it was because of him that she became a Charlatan as he was a confidence artist, from whom she learned her craft. She far outclassed him in her craft, and jealousy on his part soon meant he let her go. Maybe she'd planned that.

She's always been nimble and quick of wit, so she decided to use those talents to help her make her way in the world when she was let loose on her own.
She did gain a bit of good fortune though. Seems some distant relative left her a stipend that enables her to live at the comfortable lifestyle for the next 15 years. Come to find out, it was her mother's father who had been looking for her on his death bed. Though his death meant nothing to her, it did bring news that her mother was deceased as well, from illness about a year ago.

This new career of hers was short lived however. She talked her way into the confidence of a highly esteemed Noble couple, pretending to be some kind of expert on historical items. She pretended to be surprised that they had an old extremely valuable artifact that was said to be magical, but this was her sole reason for this con. Not for a moment thinking this thing could be as dangerous as it was valuable, she was caught stealing this magical artifact, and was injured by the effect of a spell that was protecting or guarding it. It almost killed her, momentarily stopping her heart. Servants of the Nobles revived her with a healing kit and some limited medicinal knowledge. At the same moment, the artifact was discovered near her person, so was the body of the Lord of the house and tickets to passage on a ship under a different name in her pouch, which gave up her con. The item was held in high regard, and the death of the Lord was pinned on her and in lieu of a death sentence, she took the vow since it was offered to enter service as a member of the Blackguard. Part of her thinks she can use her skills for the greater good, but put a drink or two in her and she'll smile slyly and know that she can fool others, but she can't fool herself.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; Sep 21st, 2022 at 09:21 AM.
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 03:58 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
The level 0 homeless man that kills someone behind the bar for his shoes would certainly be sentenced to death. Or perhaps someone looked at a nobleman's wife a little too longingly, and the next thing they know is a magistrate is declaring their sentence.

Not everyone that earns a sentence into the Blackguard need be a master criminal or hardened thug.
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 04:01 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Rain View Post
The level 0 homeless man that kills someone behind the bar for his shoes would certainly be sentenced to death. Or perhaps someone looked at a nobleman's wife a little too longingly, and the next thing they know is a magistrate is declaring their sentence.

Not everyone that earns a sentence into the Blackguard need be a master criminal or hardened thug.
Wouldn't that level him up though? :P

[At this point I'm just being silly.]
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 04:46 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2450
voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie
Place holder. I usually don't do the random thing but after reading through the Blackguard guide and the story premise, it sounds too good to pass up!

Name: Margo Blackway
Background: Noble (illegitimate heir to House Blackway)
Class: Slayer
Description/Personality:
History: (based on lifepath #2)

Last edited by voodoozombie; Sep 24th, 2022 at 05:27 PM.
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 05:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
So not 27 point buy at all then? Or yes, for Humans without the +1 for every ability? Before the backgrounds and all that?
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 06:15 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
27 point buy (Max 15), then you add the +2 and +1 from your background.
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 06:23 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
27 point buy (Max 15), then you add the +2 and +1 from your background.
Got it. Thanks.
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 09:40 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I think Cirra is done. I created something of a skill monkey with the Feats: Skilled and Actor, but I like it. She's a true charlatan, and kind of like a bard without any musical skills. With advantage on Deception and Performance that are at +7 skill wise, she's a silver tongued devil.
Sheet isn't really finished on equipment as I wasn't sure how to mesh all the background, and Class gold and equipment from the Blackguard document, but that's easily done.
Her image is quite large, but I'll shrink it down if she makes the cut. Be interesting if she does make the guard as vows aside, she's one who is just looking to move and move along, not move up. It'll never be dull with her along, that's for sure. I may tweak her background/bio a bit to make it flow better but the "core" of who she is, "is" there.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; Sep 20th, 2022 at 09:42 PM.
Old Sep 21st, 2022, 08:04 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 686
Damionovich Damionovich Damionovich Damionovich Damionovich Damionovich
Quote:
I have added chart to the 2nd post in the thread, detailing the applications thus far.

I will be going through those that have indicated their applications are complete, but that may not happen until the weekend.

As for starting level, I have been on the fence if I will have everyone start at level 2, but it would definitely not be higher than that.
I don't think most of us have an issue with the starting level. I think they are questioning the criminal status. Technically we should have earned experience in performing a crime of that magnitude.

Alternative idea could be creating a legion of orphans because citizens are angry that they have to feed and shelter the orphans without obligating orphans to return those support programs. So the king created this program for them to serve the people. The alternative would be the orphans needing to pay higher taxes to pay back a portion of that debt.
Old Sep 21st, 2022, 10:23 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Anyone can be charged with a capital offense: A mugger that accidentally killed the person they were robbing, a person that finds their spouse in bed with another person and kills them in a fit of rage, a petty thief that ended up stealing from the wrong person, someone that was framed for something they did not commit.

The criminal background could speak to a life of crime, but in many cases, these will be regular folks that ended up being sentenced to death or service in the Blackguard.
Old Sep 21st, 2022, 04:20 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2450
voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie
Would assaulting a city guard be considered a city offense? Or would it have to someone of rank or a member of a special branch of the city military?

I'm trying to come up with a creative way to get the death sentence without murder.