Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > Roleplaying Experiences
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Nov 21st, 2020, 05:45 AM
Rhymes with 'frothers'

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6086
bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers
Yeah, the ultra-sexualised imagery is so depressing. I follow a few Tumblrs that repost character art, and for every 30 or so stripper-with-a-sword portraits, there'll be 1 or 2 reasonable ones. The artists of those immediately go on my Deviant Art/Artstation follows, similar to Astra's strategy.

I'm not above cropping the salacious bits out of a picture if it's possible, like the ones where you've got a woman wearing sensible clothing or body armour on her top half, but just lingerie and heels on the bottom. I don't have much compunction about cropping that stuff out, though finding pictures that were reasonable to begin with is definitely a better strategy!
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 11:48 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 64
farothel
I've been able to find good and realistic pictures quite quickly these days, with only search terms as 'pathfinder female paladin' or similar (depending on the class I need).
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 06:47 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15421
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
I wholeheartedly agree with the difficulty of finding pics of female characters not in a bikini. I feel lucky to have found a pic of a woman in plate mail while still looking beautiful and even noble looking for my character Sara who is in fact a noble.

You know, I think it would be a good idea for someone to start a thread where everyone can put all their links and pic's into one thread for future use by the community as a whole.

What do you think?

"There are many fates worse than a quick and foolish death."

Sun - Thu: Behind on everything but catching up! / Fri & Sat: Rairly Available
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 12:11 AM
Obviously Defective

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13192
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with the difficulty of finding pics of female characters not in a bikini. I feel lucky to have found a pic of a woman in plate mail while still looking beautiful and even noble looking for my character Sara who is in fact a noble.

You know, I think it would be a good idea for someone to start a thread where everyone can put all their links and pic's into one thread for future use by the community as a whole.

What do you think?
I do so lament the passing of the char-portraits Tumblr page. That was a great place for sensible female fantasy character art.
Old Dec 5th, 2020, 11:45 PM
Supposed Gaming Goddess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5744
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bothers View Post
Yeah, the ultra-sexualised imagery is so depressing. I follow a few Tumblrs that repost character art, and for every 30 or so stripper-with-a-sword portraits, there'll be 1 or 2 reasonable ones. The artists of those immediately go on my Deviant Art/Artstation follows, similar to Astra's strategy.
This is an area of weird conflict for me, I'm pretty bored of the overly-sexy fantasy stuff, but at the same time I can't entirely deny the pull of my own sexuality, like, who doesn't want to play a character they find attractive, either aesthetically or in a more physical sense?

Even if you're playing an objectively 'ugly' character, odds are you'll choose a look, outfit or aesthetic that is to some variant of taste to you. It's pretty annoying, but then again, I don't indulge in the Fantasy genre much nowadays, it's either too boring, safe & samey or it's stupidly edgy, ridiculous & can't handle any of its own subject matters; But that's not the focus of this thread. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by bothers View Post
I'm not above cropping the salacious bits out of a picture if it's possible, like the ones where you've got a woman wearing sensible clothing or body armour on her top half, but just lingerie and heels on the bottom. I don't have much compunction about cropping that stuff out, though finding pictures that were reasonable to begin with is definitely a better strategy!
I've got a good number of friends who are artists and a lot of the time their signatures get cropped out due to stuff like this, so I couldn't do that personally; But each their own, if it works for you, it works.

Last edited by Marshmallow; Dec 5th, 2020 at 11:46 PM.
Old Dec 6th, 2020, 07:54 AM
Rhymes with 'frothers'

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6086
bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers
Oh yeah, I do borrow portraits for characters that I find attractive. I just prefer them to be wearing a full complement of activity-appropriate clothing while they're doing the being attractive

That's a good point on cropping out signatures, that'll suck for artists. I try to avoid taking images from pinterest/google image search, so that I know artists' names and can credit them with a link to the full-size image on their own page/site. I'd definitely like to see better crediting of artist's work all round, whether it's cropped/resized or not.
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 10:13 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 120
clockwork clockwork
I've played male, female, and even dabbled in a few nonbinary characters. Having an interesting concept, personality, or something along those lines is a bigger factor to me than gender, it may sound odd but at some point in a character's creation, it's about discovering like details like that rather than deciding on them yourself.
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 09:00 AM
Queen of Mischief

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6636
Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer
Amazing, this thread started 10 years ago.

As for character art, I have to admit it is difficult to find renderings that I like that are not overly sexualized; unless I play a male character. Which I've done once or twice. The problem is, for me, playing a male gives me too much cognitive dissonance and knocks me out of the narrative.
My first born, born male @ 1:43am 11 Jan, 2020 - 7lbs 3oz Luc (Luke) Ignatius (surname)
Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist.
Children already know that dragons exist!
Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed!
Old Feb 22nd, 2021, 11:05 AM
Peace, Love, and Gaming

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18257
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
I'm really late to this response, and this may have already been posted in this thread-- but you may be interested, Jennifer, in the Reasonable Fantasy subreddit. With a major negative that it's not easily searchable for art.

EDIT: Yes, Wyn posted it here!

Last edited by Unko Talok; Feb 22nd, 2021 at 11:05 AM.
Old Today, 01:02 AM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2973
briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar
There's no such thing as a 'late response' to this topic. It's a constant and ever-evolving topic that is good to continue discussing. To add to the discussion of character art, I've actually found Pinterest's listing feature to be quite helpful.

Basically, I made a board with about 6-10 images that I found just through searches of female characters in reasonable or logical, non-sexualized armor, then went into the list itself and used the "Find Some Ideas for this Board" function at the bottom of the list. Granted, this isn't a perfect system, and you'll still have to pick and choose, but it's enough of a filter that I generally seem to get more good character art than bad.