Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Shadows of the Last War
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Aug 9th, 2017, 10:35 PM
dad_gondsman

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27632
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman
Boroman's Roost

In his youth, Lord Boroman ir’Dayne was a great artifact hunter and explorer. He led the only expedition ever to reach the Frostfell and return to tell the tale. He wrestled ogres in Droaam, fought chuuls in the Shadow Marches, debated with dragons in Argonnessen, and was the first halfling to travel to the Ring of Storms in Xen’drik and return. Lord Boroman amassed a fortune in his day, but during his final expedition to Xen’drik he contracted a slow, wasting curse that no magic has been able to reverse.

He has a few years of life left, and while he no longer has the strength to explore on his own, he still wants to unlock the mysteries of the unknown. To this end, he dedicated his fortune to establishing the Wayfinder Foundation — a guild for adventurers and explorers that funds dangerous expeditions to exotic locales, as well as giving bold adventurers a place to display their trophies and tell tall tales.

Lord Boroman's one ulterior motive is that one of his Wayfinders may discover a cure for his curse...

GMThe Wayfinder Foundation is an exclusive organization of renowned adventurers, scholars, and explorers. Each of your characters will count themselves among their ranks!

Use this as a place to discuss your travels and talk trash about elves...

Become a Community Supporter! | Art of the Two Paragraph Post
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 11:45 PM
dad_gondsman

Tools
User Statistics
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman
The idea...Before Pathfinder Society Organized Play (PFS), there was the Mark of Heroes! This was an RPGA-sanctioned series of mini-adventures set in the world of Eberron which were designed to be finished in a single sitting. Turnabout is fair play, so I will be borrowing from PFS to launch a series of short adventures with a revolving door of players who can come and go as they please... preferably between adventures.

So, in the vein of the PFS, every PC in this campaign will be a junior member of an adventurer's guild known as the Wayfinder Foundation. For the past decade, they have loaned treasure hunters, scholars, and adventurers to Morgrave University, the dragonmarked families, and various other The Twelve, The Aurum, the Lords of Dust... (well maybe not the Lords of Dust...)factions for special assignments and expeditions. Since the Last War, however, the guild has expanded into its own world-spanning organization. This sets the stage for a number of world-spanning adventures and a way to easily introduce new players as we explore the four corners of Eberron.

Not familiar with Eberron?

If you're a fan of Eberron, that's great! If this is your first time, that's great, too! I will be including lots of details as we go, explaining the who's who and what's what of the setting. If you're interested in Eberron, this will be a great game to start with.

If you're new to the setting: Upon the ruins of a goblinoid nation which once dominated much of the continent called Khorvaire, humans (the youngest of the races of Eberron) have established their cities and built their kingdoms. Once united under one crown, the mighty nation of Galifar dissolved when King Jarot passed, leaving his five children to squabble over who should rule. Traditionally, the eldest would assume the throne, but three of the five objected. Their fighting plunged Khorvaire into a hundred year war that would end only when Cyre was reduced to a wasteland by a mysterious cataclysmic event that would eventually be named the Mourning. This hundred-year war would be called the Last War, as many could never believe that another would occur after witnessing its atrocities.

This first adventure takes place in Sharn, so it begins as an urban adventure.

Character Guidelines

Accepted Materials

Useful LinksDragonshards by Keith Baker

keith-baker.com

Old Jan 1st, 2018, 11:55 AM
dad_gondsman

Tools
User Statistics
Welcome, all!

Eberron can be a lot to take in if you try to soak it all up at once, so if you're completely new to the setting, think of it this way: Kitchen Sink!it has everything that is found in your classic DnD high fantasy setting, but something about it is usually subverted. i.e. orcs are still savage warriors, but they are also decendents of a druidic order which protects Eberron from extra-planar incursions; the halflings are plains-dwelling nomads (who tame dinosaurs, no less); the dwarves operate banks and no longer are obsessed with beards; and zombies are often employed as physical loborers in at least one nation. So there is little that is "new" so much as a lot of old things which are given a twist.

Here's a great introductory article that the setting creator wrote when it was launched.

The main thing to consider when creating your character's backstory is how the Last War affected your character. Where did they come from and how did the War impact their lives?

I'm sure you'll all have questions, so I'll save my wind for those...

Old Jan 1st, 2018, 11:55 PM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20667
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_gondsman View Post
...and zombies are often employed as physical loborers in at least one nation.
Sounds like where I worked in high school.

Hey MG, hope you had a great New Year.
Hello all, pleased to meet you and look forward to playing with you all!

So for a character... I'm kind of human-heavy at the moment and was looking to play a demi-human in this game. What's all this about talking trash about elves? What's their story in Eberron? Should I look at the 3.5 rules for the races as you say, or was that a typo and you meant PF rules? I ask because I'm a rare bird that went straight from AD&D to PF with no stops at 2.0, 3.0, or 3.5.

As for class, I'm up in the air between Wizard/Sorcerer and Fighter. I've been wanting to play an arcane caster... but I also have a elven fighter rattling around up in my head. I'll take a look at your materials and try to form up a more solid concept. I am entirely new to What's a Dragonmark? That sounds cool.Eberron, so be gentle everyone.

Last edited by ruffdove; Jan 1st, 2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 06:49 AM
The penguins are coming!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19622
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Hey all, this seems like a great way to start off the new year with a new game, so I am all in.

I am going to be putting together something more rougish, I got me a witch and a druid and a Skald, so trying to keep with new things to keep learning the system more. My gal has sticky fingers and into aquiring things as ordered.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 07:23 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2469
Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach
Hey all!
Happy to be in a play by post again, so I look forward to playing with you all. I'll be happy to play the rogue. I usually play muscle, dwarven, knock 'em down types, or clerics. Are we meeting or are we friends? Will the group know each other?
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 07:30 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach
lol Kapera, I was writing that as my toddler was running around. Just saw your post on the refresh. If we don't want two rogue types I can fill another role. Looking at a few things.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 08:04 AM
The penguins are coming!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19622
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
I am sure we can work something out, depending on what the group wants too, there are variations on a rogue out there too if we end up with a same starting concept but go diff ways.

Typing with toddlers is never good for catching things, I have a hard enough time trying to focus with a cat n rabbit running about and they don’t make noise.

Lookimg forward to seeing what everyone comes up with and jumping in to some fun n trouble.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 03:16 PM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20667
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Okay - I'll hop off the fence and say that my character will be an arcane caster. Either elf sorcerer or halfling wizard.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 03:26 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Well I sent our GM a PM, and asked this same question...

Do you guys think a spy type (changeling rogue, more combat, disguise, and info gathering and less treasure pilfering etc.) is a better fit or a Minatour Ranger. (Army scout, close combat, wilderness survival and tracking etc.) I don't see muscle in the group yet, unless we are a spy ring? lol.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 04:03 PM
dad_gondsman

Tools
User Statistics
Ah I was just about to reply, but this is a good spot to discuss.

I'm all for muscle (and changelings, too) but minotaurs are CR4 creatures. I can't allow that because it's well above the party's level and I don't think you'd be getting the full Eberron experience as a monster in humanoid lands. I realize I didn't explicitly state that, so my bad.

What about a beast-like shifter ranger? If you're interested, I can give you the details on what would change from 3.5. (I basically allow more shifting, you get the scent ability, and a few other surprises).

Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 04:16 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Got it! Just saw them as a race on the Eberron page. Sure, you can drop the changes here or in a PM, and I'll finalize something. A Ranger of some kind.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 08:34 PM
dad_gondsman

Tools
User Statistics
@Stannach - Yeah, they're probably included in the wiki because Eberron is a "kitchen sink" setting for all things DnD, but they aren't an official race. But it is par for the course that one of the only nations that made out like bandits in the Last War was Droaam, a nation full of monsters led by three hags.

Refugee from Cyre: "Bah! I lost everything in the Last War! My family... my country... my dog..."
Monster: "Are you sure we're talking about the same war? Because it opened up a lot of great opportunities for me and my family!"

@ruffdove - I dig both! There are a lot of fun ways to play an elf in Eberron, but... halfling wizards have to be rarer than unicorns.

Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 10:44 PM
dad_gondsman

Tools
User Statistics
So a little info on some races just mentioned:

Shifters, sometimes called "were-touched" due a heritage that is presumed to have lycanthropic origins, are a race of animal-like people who typically dwell within the A heavily forested frontier area bordering Breland and Aundair to the North. All manner of orcs, human barbarians, and other wilderness-types roam the area and have been known to drive off settlers from neighboring nations.Eldeen Reaches. Roughly 150 years ago, there was a crusade to wipe out lycranthropy from Khorvaire, shifters included. Anti-shifter sentiments persist and many people distrust them out of fear, but they are no longer actively hunted.

Elves are no longer classified by sun, mood, and wood elves, but they are split into three major cultures:

There are the elves of Aerenal, who worship the greatest of their ancestors who now exist in a state of positive-energy-undeath. These undead are collectively known as the Undying Court and wield epic power.

Next, there are the Valenar, veiled elves who wholly devote themselves to martial disciplines and fanatical ancestor worship, thinking that by emulating past deeds their ancestors may live again. To their neighbors, they are little more than savages and raiders but they are warriors without peers.

Lastly, there are Khorvaire elves. They may hold some of the beliefs of the Undying Court or the Valenar regarding their ancestors, but they have pretty well assimilated themselves into human lands and culture.

Another note: the elves are a "dragonmarked" race, some of whom possess the Mark of Shadow. (So are the halflings, but I'm only writing so much at a time. )

Dragonmarks are a phenomena which is not wholly understood. The most learned of scholars believe that the marks are manifestations of the Draconic Prophecy, while others believe that it is the work of the A progenitor dragon said to be responsible for all of the evil in the world...Dragon Below. Regardless, to manifest a dragonmark means that you belong to a particular dragonmarked family... in this case House Phiarlan (or its offshoot, House Thuranni). House Phiarlann is known by-and-large to be a house of entertainers... bards, actors, acrobats, etc. Each family, over the years, has come to dominate a particular industry due to the power of their mark. For example, House Cannith (humans with the Mark of Making) are gifted artificers who made enough gold to beggar kings by selling magical items to all sides during the Last War. House Kundarak (dwarves with the Mark of Warding) run the banks of Khorvaire while House Medani (Considered their own race in Eberron! Bastards no more. half-elves with the Mark of Detection) are unrivaled detectives and sentries.

Only the core races from 3.5e DnD manifest dragonmarks.

Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 10:48 PM
dad_gondsman

Tools
User Statistics
I should add that characters with dragonmarks are typically kept on a short leash. Not all within the dragonmarked families actually manifest dragonmarks, so the ones that do are almost looked at as a resource.