Game Thread The Forgotten Forge - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Shadows of the Last War
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 12:03 PM
mad_gondsman's Avatar
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman is offline
dad_gondsman
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 27632
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman
Posts: 9,759
"Hey," one of the couriers calls to Arrun as he makes for the door. "On our way here from the University District, we thought we saw someone skulking around in the shadows over where Kelsa Spire links up with Dalannan Tower. "

Dalannan Tower... where Morgrave University resides.

The courier's partner removes his rain-soaked cap and shakes his head in agreement. "You look like you can take care of yourself, but it never hurts to have someone watching your back..."

"A sign of the times," Boyd grumbles, shaking his head as if this is just another "ill portent."
__________________
Tentatively getting back to it...

Become a Community Supporter! | Art of the Two Paragraph Post
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 12:14 PM
EngrInAZ's Avatar
EngrInAZ EngrInAZ is offline
The Sword of the Spirit
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 9th, 2021
RPXP: 21079
EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ
Posts: 11,306
Arrun CorliostorArrun stopped at the doorway, the warm rain spraying through the open door. He turned back to the couriers, "Skulking in the shadows?" That is in the direction of the university…where Bonal would be coming from. Arrun smiled for a split second, skulking generally meant evil in his book…time for some action. He looked over at Solomon and Ky, "Skulking sounds like some kind of foul-play. Maybe something happened to Bonal and that is why he isn’t here. What do you say we go check it out?" He smiled again, a glimmer of hope in his eyes, "Wouldn’t want our friends Ghir’was and Kova to get all the fun."


OOCTrying to follow the GM's prodding.
__________________
Slowly working my way back.

<DM>Temple of Elemental Evil - Pathfinder
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 12:15 PM
mad_gondsman's Avatar
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman is offline
dad_gondsman
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 27632
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman
Posts: 9,759
GMPausing this here so we can move it back to the original thread. Looks like everyone should be joining you two.
__________________
Tentatively getting back to it...

Become a Community Supporter! | Art of the Two Paragraph Post
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 03:32 PM
Dressedtojazz's Avatar
Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 20681
Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz
Posts: 9,610
Solomon Salt
Solomon kept a steady gaze up at Arrun, while he had the notion to hammer on the dwarven breastplate. While taking in the words, slowly, his thoughts spun around the other man's knowledge of the armor. Nothing happened by bouncing your finger against the metal plate, but Arrun had just witnessed Solomon applying sheen oil on the breast plate and fingers would leave marks in the grease... Finally, Solomon agreed with himself that there was no reason taking up this subject - after all, Arrun had been kind, honorable enough around the trusted Galifars and he probably didn't mean to offend Solomon by the breast tapping, I agree on the proposed archetype. Too many inky letters will make you odd... the statement was confirmed by the slightest nod kept modest by the simple stern expression on the dwarven face.

The two runners and the following arguing about the regime, left Solomon squinting at the half-full horn of ale... during the last weeks, he had been less interested in politics and news of the land and more interested in figuring out the best way to settle within the Wayfinder Society. He drank again and shot a scowling glance over at the lanky Ky and then following her appraising gaze to the two men. Hrmph! As if on command, the same woman started ordering him about as if he was a waiter for some damn celebration of hers. He turned sour and was about to disagree when Arrun came to his assistance. He stomped past Ky, whipping out and drying off the last drops of beer before handing back the drinking horn to Innkeeper Boyd, You have my gratitude for the ale on the house. The least he could do, was to deliver the drinking container back at the counter. He turned to Arrun and Ky, I don't presume to take leadership over you, miss Ky, stern eyes, stone-set face, hard jaw, but I will be attending the rumor of skulkin' foul-players with Arrun here. Despite his sour demeanor, he hoped for her to come. Never leave a lady alone on a bar. Even dwarves knew that. With those words said and done, he hefted his dorn-dergar and stepped after Arrun.
__________________
The return of the snail!
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 07:46 PM
Kapera's Avatar
Kapera Kapera is offline
The penguins are coming!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 22nd, 2021
RPXP: 19622
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Posts: 3,758
Ky RavsenKy had attempted her best to look as if she was not watching the new arrivals, though as Solomon caught her eyes a moment, she could only offer him a near sheepish look, though it teetered more toward feigned innocence. Halfway through the motion to bring her ale to her lips once more, the sudden warning offered for Arrun as he approached the door caused her to sit up ever so slightly. Skulking, only two sorts skulked, thieves who were no so good at thieving, and scum, the kind of scum that would stick a knife in your back to steal a mere penny, the kind that gave proper thieves a bad name. Granted Ky, people do not always agree on the redistribution of wealth, but a good thief never leaves a blood trail. It was only the split second later that the gruff old pain in her... Solomon, call him Solomon Ky or you are going to say one of these comments out loud. Solomon seemed to have a similar of a mind to her own.

With a rueful look at her tankard, Ky regretfully set the ale down. Quaffing a second as she had the first, would not be wise for being both nimble on her feet nor properly aware of her environment. "If we see the other two, best to bring them with, if not... Boyd love... Can you let the duo know where we are off to?" The first words sounded near resigned, while the last came out in a sweet tone laced with hope that she was not asking too much of the gruff veteran. Ky rose in a fluid grace and quickly darted her hands over her weapons and assorted pockets as if to confirm everything was were it ought to be before she left. A farewell bow for Boyd was accompanied with a wink before she pulled her still dripping cloak back on once more and set out with the pair."It just keeps getting better."


 
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 08:59 PM
mad_gondsman's Avatar
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman is offline
dad_gondsman
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 27632
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman
Posts: 9,759
“Anything for you, Gorgeous,” Boyd says to Ky with a wink and a wave. “You be careful out there...”

Outside, atop Kelsa Spire...

Curtains of water fall from the sky as you step out of the Gray Gargoyle and back onto the labyrinthine walkways of Sharn. Here in the Upper City, the stone paths wind around and between the towers and spires, the areas beneath the the lattice-like bridgework disappearing into the darkness. Peering But not too close lest the winds throw you over...over the side, for a mile or more, you can see pinpoints of light trailing along the sides of the plateaus before they disappear into a void as dark as the night sky. The rain falls hard, running off higher walkways and balconies in drenching waves, making it difficult to see much more than a few feet ahead of you. Even the glow of the Magical lanterns lit every day by the magewrights of the Lamplighter's Guild...everbright lanterns, barely visible in the soaking gloom, does little to light the paths on this warm, wet evening.

At least in temperate Sharn, one never has to worry about freezing to death...

Suddenly, there is a flash of yellow light, followed by an ear-splitting crack! An after-image of the lightning strike, which apparently struck a nearby tower, lingers in the corner of your eye as you wonder if you made a mistake wandering out into a storm of this magnitude. A decently good cloak deflects most of the rain and you find that the puddles are nothing that a good set of boots won't protect against, but there's nothing to shield you from the lightning arcing across the clouds... which you happen to be eye-level with, at the moment.

In a hurry to find the others before you find yourselves on the business end of the next lightning strike, you round the corner a scramble down the street, skirting along the awnings of a store front for protection from the wind and rain when you spot something peculiar. A bridge looms ahead, lined on either side by artfully crafted terraces in which low green shrubs and small trees have been planted to soften the hard edge of the city. The everbright lanterns cast a low yellow glow, dimmed by the driving rain...

Lightning flashes and you can see a shape on the stone-cobbled floor of the bridge in the brief illumination... being approached by Ghir'Was and Kova!two figures.

GMI'm shamelessly recycling 98% of this post from the other thread I temporarily set up, so I apologize to ruffdove and Stannach for having to read it twice, hehe.

Note! Since Ghir'was and Kova arrived first, I'd like to give them a round to respond to the above scene before the rest of you arrive.

You can give me a DC 18 for SuccessPerception check while you wait, though...
__________________
Tentatively getting back to it...

Become a Community Supporter! | Art of the Two Paragraph Post

Last edited by mad_gondsman; Jan 28th, 2018 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Boyd forgot to say bye to his favorite customer... ;)
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 11:41 PM
Stannach's Avatar
Stannach Stannach is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 22nd, 2019
RPXP: 2469
Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach
Posts: 422
Ghir'WasThe rain didn't bother Ghir'Was. Too many it was an inconvenience. Wet gear, wet skin, wet hair... all a punishment for staying too long in it's company. To Ghir'Was it was a friend. Many times it had helped to mask his scent with the falling water. It had helped to conceal him from those who had weak eyes, or worse, will power too fragile to give any meaningful effort at finding him. It's steady drumbeat of noise also helped to hide his footfalls as he watched the shapes move through the darkness. Some he knew. One he did not.

"Kova Yarabree be wary." The shifter spoke out, his voice just loud enough to be heard over the rainfall. He then gripped the handle of one of his battle axes. Sliding it free, he held it in front of him as he moved towards the others. "Someone has just slipped over the railing. Go move towards the others. Now... Tell them." His axe was held low in front of him. When the lightning arced above in the sky, The steel gave off very little if any reflection, but it was enough to show that the shifter was moving in between where the "Person" slipped over the railing and Kova. This rain hid things from Ghir'Was as well, and he struggled to hear, or see any more of the person. The urge to bound after this person tugged at him. A bloodlust triggered by it's flight... Ghir'Was surpressed the urge. He didn't know enough to say what was going on, and that gave him little comfort. The city was very different than the forests. Anyone here could be predator, or prey.

Moving slow and carefully, he made his way to the railing and tried to get another glimpse of the person.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 08:30 AM
ruffdove's Avatar
ruffdove ruffdove is offline
Haroog!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 11th, 2021
RPXP: 20667
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Posts: 4,052
Kova YarabreeWincing from the lightning strike, Kova got his bearings and peered out from behind the hulking shape of Ghir'was toward the bridge. He sensed from the shifter's bearing that he saw the shape too. Initially content to stand back and let the soldier do the investigating, Kova's curiosity overcame him and he stepped out from behind his companion. Quickly the halfling spun and checked the street behind them for signs of trouble before turning back and moving cautiously forward toward the form lying on the cobblestones.

Removing his dagger from its sheath and a lightning bug from a small vial in his components bag, Kova muttered an incantation that consumed the insect and Casts Light--good for ten minutesimbued the weapon with a brilliant radiance to illuminate the scene in front of him. Before his eyes adjusted, to the light, he fleetingly wondered what became of the lightning bugs when he cast that spell. Given that they were harmless insects that brought only beauty into the world, he dearly hoped they were traded to some idyllic plane of light in exchange for the radiance. That thought gave him some comfort as the form on the ground came into well-lit focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stannach View Post
"Kova Yarabree be wary. Someone has just slipped over the railing. Go move towards the others. Now... Tell them."
Kova paused and moved to one side, allowing the scout to put himself and the spot on the railing he was moving toward. Reasoning that it was unlikely an assailant would flee in that direction only to try to pop back up into the disadvantageous position of the wrong side of the railing, Kova dismissed the threat and hurried toward what he was now sure was someone in distress. He reached into his pouch for a potion of healing and brought the figure into his light.


OOCFDA Warning: This post contains 66% recycled content.
 

 

Last edited by ruffdove; Jan 29th, 2018 at 08:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 11:14 AM
mad_gondsman's Avatar
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman is offline
dad_gondsman
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 27632
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman
Posts: 9,759

GMOk! The rest of you feel free to pile in. You arrive at a storefront about 20’ from the bridge and can see two figures, presumably Kova and Ghir’was, upon the bridge.

Consider that Kova and Ghir’Was can also see the others approaching.
__________________
Tentatively getting back to it...

Become a Community Supporter! | Art of the Two Paragraph Post

Last edited by mad_gondsman; Jan 29th, 2018 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Spoilerbuttons!
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 03:09 PM
ruffdove's Avatar
ruffdove ruffdove is offline
Haroog!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 11th, 2021
RPXP: 20667
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Posts: 4,052
Kova YarabreeKova shook his head sadly and put his healing potion away as he knelt by the man on the bridge. "I'm afraid he's finished," he said just loudly enough to be heard over the rain. Instinctively, he ran his glowing dagger back and forth taking in everything he could about the man and
Dice Perception:
1d20+10 (10)+10 Total = 20
searching for any clues as to his identity and the violence that ended his life. After the search, he unhooked the man's satchel and picked it up off the slick cobblestones, though he did not open it in the driving rain.

Standing, he turned to the others. "We were too late, but just barely. Ghir'was saw someone climb just over the railing as we approached." He carefully took a step in that direction, considering that he did have a magic missile prepared if needed.

OOC
 

 

Last edited by ruffdove; Jan 29th, 2018 at 03:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 08:32 AM
EngrInAZ's Avatar
EngrInAZ EngrInAZ is offline
The Sword of the Spirit
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 9th, 2021
RPXP: 21079
EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ
Posts: 11,306
Arrun CorliostorArrun moved as quickly as possible through the falling rain, watching his footing on the wet stones of the street. The street lamps lit the area well enough to see where he was going, but still left several shadows that gave him caution as he took each step. The possibilities of what lie ahead made Arrun excited in anticipation, it had been quite a while since he had seen any real action…it hadn’t been necessary. Was there evil about…would his blade be needed? He could only hope.

When the bridge came into view, Arrun only saw his two new compatriots and a fallen individual. From the sound of Ghir’was’ description, the culprit had escaped off the bridge…but how? Arrun moved out to the bridge, "Ghir’was, if you haven’t already, see if you can find any signs of the murderer." He turned to Ky, "Will you have a look around as well, you might spot something we would miss." Arrun moved over to the body, dropping down to his knee on the wet, bloody street. He began
Dice Heal Check:
1d20+5 (3)+5 Total = 8
examining the body for signs of how the victim was killed. As he checked the body he frowned at Kova, "It’s my guess that this is Bonal…we haven’t even started and we already failed."

After examining the body and waiting for the others to gather any clues, Arrun picked up the body, "If my hunch is right and this is Bonal, we need to get him back to the Wayfinders…he certainly doesn’t need to be lying out here in the rain." Arrun carried the body along the bridge, heading in the direction of the Wayfinder Foundation.
__________________
Slowly working my way back.

<DM>Temple of Elemental Evil - Pathfinder
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Dressedtojazz's Avatar
Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 20681
Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz
Posts: 9,610
Solomon Salt
The rain was indeed pouring down like there was no tomorrow. Solomon hardly considered himself well-versed in meteorology, but during the trip behind Arrun and with Ky sneaking around, blending in and out of shadows, he did spent quite some time pondering how a Sharn-sized amount of clouds could hold so much water... Blasted!

When the lumbering silhoutte of Ghir'was and the child-like shadow of Kova came into view beside a prone figure, Solomon speeded up his gait. He had been speeding up most of the walk - a matter that had occupied much of the excess time when he had not been thinking about the rainy clouds - as Ky and Arrun had utilized their length of their long, lanky legs to great extend.

He wiped the rain from his beard as he came up close, is that the man we were waiting for, you think? he furrowed his brows and glared through the rainy haze, Is the person still alive? His impatience was quickly taking over, but he had a mind to grant the halfling a few seconds to answer before he had to take matters in his own two hands.

Arrun Ninja post from EngrinaZ came in quick, shouting commands and showing off as efficient. A feat that was easy to appreciate, still - Solomon growled mentally - he could have allowed for the wee man to answer his questions before he carried the victim away...
OOC
 

__________________
The return of the snail!

Last edited by Dressedtojazz; Jan 30th, 2018 at 08:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Stannach's Avatar
Stannach Stannach is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 22nd, 2019
RPXP: 2469
Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach
Posts: 422
Ghir'Was"Nothing left to track. Ghir'Was would have used night like this to stalk a camp. Rain conceals you. Nothing here that Ghir'Was sees that you all do not." He still held his axe at the ready. "Take satchel to tavern. Look to see if this is escort, or just unlucky prey for the night. Ghir'Was will look some more, but perhaps take body inside before rain takes more information from us."
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 08:52 PM
Kapera's Avatar
Kapera Kapera is offline
The penguins are coming!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 22nd, 2021
RPXP: 19622
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Posts: 3,758
Ky RavsenKy had picked a suitable horrible time to look up at the towers as she matched it to a most brilliant and painful flash of lightening. A soft oath as the flare left the ghostly echoed images at the corners of her vision. Not enough to blind her, but just enough that paying attention to the little details required a bit more focus then she felt she had time for. It was a sensation she was to have confirmed as their wayward partners were suddenly re-added to the group, along with a newly dead 'someone'. "Well... is it our man or not. Gah of course, and I don't know that wandering about carrying a dead stranger is a good idea either, there are laws and all that stuff you know?"

How did one politely say that running into the authorities with a dead body did not seem like an ideal adventure in her books, and was it the Provost, was it some other hapless git they had all managed to run into and meet in his last moments on the face of the planet? Worse, if it was the Provost, and he had been murdered, was it for a mere trinket, or had someone... No Ky, paranoia, keep it in check, you cannot always think to worst case, even if... even if it is typically true. The shadowed images of the lightening still lingered, and while she looked where Kovak and Ghir indicated, she could see little that might be useful.

There was not protocol for this, or at least not any that she had experienced,granted in her experiences thus far with the Wayfinders, she had not dealt with many dead bodies that were not supposed to be dead. Wet, near soaked, Ky gave up and raked her hand through her hair, to succeed only in dumping water down her back in tickled trickles. "If it IS him, and if this was NOT random, perhaps uh... staying together hmm, cause that would mean someone knew he would be walking this way, and if they knew that, then they might know why... and if it is random or not our Provost, well a little paranoia never killed anyone, right?"


 

 
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 05:51 AM
ruffdove's Avatar
ruffdove ruffdove is offline
Haroog!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 11th, 2021
RPXP: 20667
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Posts: 4,052
Kova YarabreeKova clucked his tongue at the hasty paladin. "Half a moment, Arrun," he began softly. "Your inference isn't an unreasonable one, but we don't know if it's correct. Colonel Boyd stands ready and nearby to identify this body as our provost or not--why lug him all the way to the Wayfinder Foundation? What if that isn't him?" Using his illuminated dagger to light the way he started back toward the Gargoyle. "Come, Ky has the right of it. Moving him a short way out of the rain to identify him is reasonable. Moving him a long way from the scene begins to run more afoul of the law and looks suspicious."

OOC
 

 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:27 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB