Game Thread The Forgotten Forge - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Shadows of the Last War
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 08:36 PM
mad_gondsman's Avatar
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman is offline
dad_gondsman
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 27632
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman
Posts: 9,759
Splashing through deep puddles where water has gathered atop the landing, you rush toward the narrow skybridge which spans the void between two massive towers - Kelsa Spire and Dalannan Tower. The everbright lanterns posted at regular intervals along either side of the bridge stand out like tiny lighthouses in the night, giving you direction but little else as their light is stifled by the steady rain. The black void on either side of the bridge is enough to make your heads swim as you approach, as you know the ground is miles below.

As Ghir'Was moves to the railing, the rest of you gather one-by-one near the body, standing clear of the dark pools mixing with the runoff from the storm. The winds from below sting Ghir'Was' eyes and whip back his hair as he peers into the darkness, but he sees nothing except the glow of the districts below, the sides of the towers lit with a hundred lights from as many windows, each resembling a star in the sky. There is no obvious avenue of escape, nor is there an obvious sign of the assailant's passing.

As Kova first inspects the scene, the victim's cowl falls back to reveal an elderly, clean-cut, white-haired fellow with a neat goatee, his eyes vacant and his face frozen in surprise and fear. The satchel which he once hugged protectively to his chest is clutched loosely in his hands, but its contents are strewn across the bridge as if a struggle took place. A number of books and several sheets of paper plastered to the stone by the weight of the water are all that remain. As you watch, an apple rolls free of the satchel and into the gutter, borne away by the runoff.

A flash of lightning illuminates the man's face and the ragged wound upon his throat is visible to everyone...

The rain continues to beat down upon you all, lightning infrequently illuminating the grisly scene as you discuss the identity of the man and what to do next. A stiff wind blows, snapping your clothes and cloaks about your bodies in spite of their rain-soaked weight...

GMDon't get too far ahead of me! Before Arrun drags the body off by its ankles, consider the clues I've secreted to those of you who have searched the body. Make any other skills that you feel may provide useful information, such as Spellcraft or K (Arcana) to make sense of the writing upon the papers before rain makes them illegible, Perception to notice a detail about the crime scene, or Heal to assess how long he has been dead.
__________________
Tentatively getting back to it...

Become a Community Supporter! | Art of the Two Paragraph Post

Last edited by mad_gondsman; Jan 31st, 2018 at 10:25 PM. Reason: More skill info...
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 09:23 PM
Stannach's Avatar
Stannach Stannach is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 22nd, 2019
RPXP: 2469
Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach
Posts: 422
Ghir'WasMoves closer to the body, now that he fails to see anything. There are other ways to see however... He appears to relax, letting something go within him as his body begins to alter. Skin stretches, bones crack, and his face contorts slightly as his mouth stretches impossibly so. The Shifter appears to be more like an actual Ursa now. His eyes large, black voids which stare blankly forward. He strides over to the body, his mass pushing aside those that are closest as his snout presses against the clothing of the slain man. He spends a few moments sniffing the clothing, the wound, the area...

With a roar that sends spittle flying to any that are within range, the Shifter begins to hunt, sniffing along the route that the assailant took. Like a blackbear sniffing out a hive, Ghir'Was attempts to find something that can help them right this wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 10:33 PM
mad_gondsman's Avatar
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman is offline
dad_gondsman
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 27632
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman
Posts: 9,759
GMMore skill info...
__________________
Tentatively getting back to it...

Become a Community Supporter! | Art of the Two Paragraph Post
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 10:53 PM
Stannach's Avatar
Stannach Stannach is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 22nd, 2019
RPXP: 2469
Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach
Posts: 422
Ghri’WasSniffing, always sniffing. The shifter ranger holds his nose up into the air while muttering something... “all chem mee.” An urgency takes over as he tracks something that is unobtainable. His head sways side to side as he paces in a circle, aggravation forcing him to make low gutteral noises.

Last edited by Stannach; Feb 1st, 2018 at 08:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 05:21 AM
Dressedtojazz's Avatar
Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 20681
Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz
Posts: 9,610
Solomon Salt
With growing disbelieve, Solomon watches as Ghir'was turns completely and utterly primal and starts sniffing and sneezing around. He release a few locks in the chain of his weapon, just in case, and tightens his grip. Steady. Don't get yourself too worked up on the matter, Ghir'was. He got the name right. He always did. It was only scoundrels and rapscallions who messed up properly offered names. When Solomon had made sure - with his words and a stern gaze for aftermath - that the shifter would stay sensible enough to keep from tearing into the dead body or some other vile deed, he knelt beside the murder victim and took in the wound. He growled disapproving sounds while he tried to understand the weapons used for the kill and if there was signs of resistance or poison of some kind. He picked up a few of the papers lying about too, but quickly discarded them with another grunt and a shrug, Damn rain.

Finally, the dwarf rose and swatted off the rain from his drenched beard, Hrmph! he offered while he pondered over the dead body and tried to estimate how long since the actual murder happened. While he did this, he went to the side of the bridge, where the owlbeast was on a sniffer, and took his own measures - using the knowledge of stone to sense if persons had passed. Most people's flesh would leave the faintest of marks that, for a little time after, would shy the rain. Solomon hoped to find them and connect it with how the bridge was constructed and if the construction in itself would leave a hiding place.

The dwarf squinted, still with mild disapproval, to Ghir'was and his predatory roars, Silence can be an effective way of luring culprits from the shadows, he scolded in a low rumble.
OOC
 

__________________
The return of the snail!
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 08:12 AM
ruffdove's Avatar
ruffdove ruffdove is offline
Haroog!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 14th, 2021
RPXP: 20767
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Posts: 4,068
Kova Yarabree"Of course..." Kova continued. "These doctoral panels inside his robe do support Arrun's hypothesis that this is indeed Provost Geldem. They identify him as a provost of Morgrave University." Tugging a wallet out of the man's robes and quickly inspecting it, he added: "The fact that his identification names him as Bonal Geldem certainly pushes doubt into the realm of the unreasonable. I'm afraid this man was our contact. Still, I think we should get back to the Gargoyle. It's the closest dry place to look at the contents of this satchel, which I hope will provide us with some guidance, if not answers."

OOC
 

 

Last edited by ruffdove; Feb 1st, 2018 at 08:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 08:26 AM
EngrInAZ's Avatar
EngrInAZ EngrInAZ is offline
The Sword of the Spirit
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 9th, 2021
RPXP: 21079
EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ
Posts: 11,306
Arrun CorliostorThe rain continued to fall, spreading the blood from the poor victim quickly across the pathway. He wiped the rain from his face, the warm, humid air sticking to his skin uncomfortably, 'I knew he was Bonal, just our luck.' Arrun checked the wound at the man’s throat, "Well, his body is still warm so the death wasn’t too long ago, maybe the culprit left something behind that will be of use to us." He gestured towards the Dalannan tower, "The university is closer, just at the end of the skyway. There might be more information over there, maybe something in the provost’s office." He started gathering the papers strewn about the street, the flashes of lightning helping illuminate the area, "Kova, see what you can make of these papers and books, looks like someone wanted what was in the satchel. We need to find any information on the artifact…looks like someone else is after it as well."
__________________
Slowly working my way back.

<DM>Temple of Elemental Evil - Pathfinder
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 09:06 AM
Kapera's Avatar
Kapera Kapera is offline
The penguins are coming!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 22nd, 2021
RPXP: 19622
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Posts: 3,758
Ky Ravsen A flash of a smile for Kova as he backed her up in her slight paranoid assessment of the situation. It was the next part that Ky had to struggle to find the right words for, she did not know the group well enough yet to judge quite their responses, and well... Face it Ky love, you are paranoid and want them to like you, of come on girl, get over yourself. With that small self-focused chide, Ky was about to speak when Ghir, well he, shifted, mutated, warped... She was left a moment on her knees beside the body with her mouth open in unadulterated shock. Yes she had heard, she knew the stories, but she had never seen. A small squeak was the first sound and then with a shake of her head, Ky muttered to herself before an attempt to discretely explain her initial thoughts.

"Well now that’ll take some getting use to... Uh... lads, I don’t want to, ah well, this kind of stuff..." Ky waved her hand over the dead body aimlessly a moment. "Doesn’t happen up here, maybe someone sneaks up and pickpockets, but this... and they didn’t take the goods, if I was to sneak all the way up here, I wouldn’t leave the gold behind, I mean not that I routinely sneak up on people and stab them for gold, but gah, see?" Well that was elegant Ky. Her face twisted a bit in annoyance, though it was annoyance for herself not the others as she deftly pointed out the rings and other valuables.

"Arrun is right, the poor sod was clinging to that satchel for all he was worth, Kova, what do those papers even say, is that even a real language, frell the ink is starting to run. Solomon, help me gather all the strewn items, either the papers or the items were the target, this was, it had to have been planned, which means they knew he was coming to meet us... Bloody spires if they knew that, watch our backs!" The last she said to no one in particular as the entire train of thought seemed to come out in a single breath. Warning and explanation given, Ky focused on gathering every item she could see as she searched for anything outside of odd scribbles that might better explain what she ought to look for.


 

 

Last edited by Kapera; Feb 1st, 2018 at 09:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 12:25 PM
Stannach's Avatar
Stannach Stannach is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 22nd, 2019
RPXP: 2469
Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach
Posts: 422
Ghir'WasThe shifter started to adjust once more. This looked more painful, as if he was trying to stop the transformation. "Stay! This is the natural existence! Feels complete, not the other way, not the half way..." His thoughts were fragmented between forms, and eventually he lost this fight as he had done every other time he transformed. His mouth began to reshape itself, the claws that once elongated from each finger pulled themselves unnaturally backwards. It was clear to everyone nearby that it was not something that lasted a great deal of time. With maximum effort he literally pulled himself together.

The ranger composed himself. Pushing down the bitter anger of once more being denied a full and permanent shift. He began to tighten straps, and adjust armor. It appeared to be fairly routine for him. "There was a scent Ghir'Was could not follow." He repeated the information, in case those who may be familiar with this sort of thing missed it during his "shift". "Scent was Earthy. Smelled liked Alchemy. No way for Ghir'Was to better describe it." He looked forward, speaking over his shoulder. There was no need to look on the faces of those gathered here, he knew the look well enough already. "This should be reported." He didn't make it clear if he meant the Wayfinder's or just the authorities.

Last edited by Stannach; Feb 1st, 2018 at 12:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 12:13 AM
mad_gondsman's Avatar
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman is offline
dad_gondsman
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 27632
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman
Posts: 9,759
The lightning continues, infrequently lighting the faces of everyone gathered around the body of the murdered provost, and the rain continues to drum upon the stone floor of the bridge, washing blood from the man's body along the gutters and into the Lower City.

Picking up the many papers strewn across the bridge's surface, Solomon regrettably finds that much of the writings are immediately being rendered illegible as rivulets of rain drag the ink from the paper into a dark smear. He does, however, manage to catch a few quills, bottles of inks and a wax-wrapped sheaf of Karrnathi paper before the rain washes it down the gutters and into the The absolute lowest level of Sharn, lower than even the Lower City.Cogs.

"... Hrmph..."

"... Still, I think we should get back to the Gargoyle..."

"... We need to find any information on the artifact…"

"... Bloody spires if they knew that, watch our backs!"

"... There was a scent Ghir'Was could not follow..."


Regardless of what the group decides in the moment, they know that the assassination of such a prominent figure - here within the Upper City, no less - will not be taken lightly. With the weight of the situation settling in as quickly as the rain through your underclothes, it is no wonder that you do not see the gauntlet-like hand grab the side of the bridge as if climbing from beneath. Before anyone notices or can shout a warning, the cloaked figure vaults over the Opposite from where Ghir'Was saw him/her disappear!railing, brandishing a long, serrated blade!

In the light of the everbright lantern, you can see that underneath the dark cloak, the figure is covered in armor-like plates darkened by night-like enamel with wood-like fibers forming muscle-like cords underneath. Its eyes glow like red coals from within the darkness of its cowl as a bass growl grows, hollow and echoing as if through from underneath a helm!

"WE ARE THE BLADE!!!" she howls in a raw, husky voice, female but devoid of any femininity. Hearing the battle cry, Arren just happens to turn a little to the side, causing her blade to skip across his armor, the serrated sword drawing sparks in the night!

From either side of the bridge, you hear the sounds of metal-shod feet as even more approach...

GMSurprise Attack! Ky and Kova are the only ones who are not caught by surprise!

 

Note: Figures within the darkened areas of the map are in dim light and have 20% miss chance!concealment unless your character has the ability to see in darkness.

Captain Unidentified Assassin - AC 18, HP 24, CMD 19, F +6 R+4 W +1
Unidentified Assassins 1-4 - AC 15, HP 14, CMD 13, F+4 R +0 W -1


__________________
Tentatively getting back to it...

Become a Community Supporter! | Art of the Two Paragraph Post
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 10:49 AM
ruffdove's Avatar
ruffdove ruffdove is offline
Haroog!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 14th, 2021
RPXP: 20767
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Posts: 4,068
Kova YarabreeKova had always been good at keeping his wits in a crisis. Time sort of slowed down, allowing him to act swiftly and think clearly when a cup of wine was spilled near a pile of white linens, or a crystal goblet was knocked off a high shelf. Oddly, he had the same sensation now, despite the distracting rain, dire circumstances, and danger. Three to the west and two to the east was his first thought. This light won't do! was his second, and he Move Action: Sheathe daggerquickly sheathed the glowing dagger blade to douse the light that was bathing the party in the center of the bridge. Sparks flew off Arun's armor as his assailant's blade grated across it, and Kova thought that remarkable in the wet conditions.

The wizard's head turned swiftly one way and the other. Ky was dialed in on the danger--good. Though the others were still getting their bearings, he realized they had happened into a good defensive position. With me safe and snug in the middle he observed gratefully. And then with some gallows humor he thought: Perhaps I'll die last?

He weighed his options. A Magic Missile might give that one attacking Arrun something else to think about. Arrun seemed a very decent fellow and it riled Kova to see him almost skewered like a kabob. But then he remembered his training. Enemy archers aim for wizards first and dead wizards are no good to their mates! he'd been taught. Until you've got some power behind your offensive spells, save 'em for enemies on death's door, the masters had instructed. "Right, think defensively" he muttered. With some reluctance, he softly recited the arcane words and made the cryptic gestures that raised a Standard Action: Cast Shieldshield of force around him. He would feel pretty cowardly about it if it turned out these enemies had no archers among them. As the protective barrier descended around him he snatched a small wooden token out of his components bag, already knowing his next move.

OOC
 

 

Last edited by ruffdove; Feb 3rd, 2018 at 08:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 12:10 PM
Kapera's Avatar
Kapera Kapera is offline
The penguins are coming!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 22nd, 2021
RPXP: 19622
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Posts: 3,758
Ky RavsenFrom the moment that Ky had realized nothing of value had been stolen, the hairs on the back of her neck had stood up. Well possibly not actually stood up, but the chill which had developed was not related to the cold. Ky did not revel in being correct, in fact while at times she loved being right and rubbed it in gleefully, this was not the same sort of situation in which she would do so. A warning given as Ghir returned with his explanation, and then perhaps it had been a slight rasp of metal on stone, a soft thump or some other such noise that had prepared her. A cry, a crash of steel on metal and she had only instinct to respond to.

Her left hand slammed the journal into her vest as the right dropped to her rapier as the weapon slid free with the rasp of a well oiled blade against the supple leather. Ky could hear the approach and even as behind her the sound of a blade striking one of her compatriots, she focused instead on the sounds which approached from her 'side' of the deceased Provast. "Kova! Behind me, close!" Arrun, Ghir and Solomon, they were brute force at least, even if she did not know what else they could do, they were powerful strength and hopefully skilled in the weapons she had noted each carried. Ky, however, was fluid, graceful and deadly in the confined and constricted space, if she could keep the halfling close to her, Ky was confident she could defend him from which ever side the threat might come. Argrim had instilled in her the need to keep their spell-caster alive when she had been training, and it was an instinct she immediately reacted to as the unknown threats descended.


 

 
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 07:55 PM
ruffdove's Avatar
ruffdove ruffdove is offline
Haroog!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 14th, 2021
RPXP: 20767
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Posts: 4,068
Kova YarabreeKova gave Ky a quick nod and was pleased to see the party come around so quickly to their situation. He twirled the small, round wood carving in his hand while uttering cryptic words, but then thought better of it and put it back in his pouch for now. Instead, Kova Uses Diviner's Fortune on Arrun, giving him +1 to his next attack roll.laid a hand laid on the small of Arrun's back and muttered arcane words transferring some of his divination powers to the paladin. In a flash, the paladin's mind saw clearly that his attacker's left arm was about to drop just a hair, perhaps giving him a clear shot to the torso. "Let her have it, Arrun!" Kova cheered above the din of rain and clashing steel.

OOC
 

 

Last edited by ruffdove; Feb 4th, 2018 at 11:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 04:12 PM
EngrInAZ's Avatar
EngrInAZ EngrInAZ is offline
The Sword of the Spirit
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 9th, 2021
RPXP: 21079
EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ
Posts: 11,306
Arrun Corliostor
The appearance of the assassin from under the skyway caught Arrun by surprise, it’s blade striking out quickly. As the serrated weapon glanced across Arrun’s armor, the paladin back up defensively, sparks flying from his chest. "Flame forgive me…what in the hells are these things?" He slid the steel shield from off of his back, unsheathing his sword in the process.

Arrun quickly looked over the scene, seeing more assassins appear on either side of the skyway. He pointed towards Solomon and then to the three assassins to the west, "Protect the flank…I’ve got this side." Hearing the exhortation from Kova, Arrun pressed towards the assassin who had struck his armor. Arrun flashed with his shield, hoping the quick movement would distract the assassin. He followed with a slash of his longsword, but the assassin’s reflexes were quick as she dodged the blade. "Crooked! Stay where I can hit you!"
 
__________________
Slowly working my way back.

<DM>Temple of Elemental Evil - Pathfinder
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 07:56 AM
Dressedtojazz's Avatar
Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 20681
Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz
Posts: 9,610
Solomon Salt
Culprits! The dwarf had anticipated such a thing, but that didn't serve to dampen his disapproval. Quite the contrary. He heard the stern voice of command issued from first Ky and then Arrun and was content that the command that had anything to do with him, came from the paladin. Solomon had trouble accepting to be bossed around with, by a rogue lady.

He stepped out from the crew, letting ink and feathers be ink and feathers for the time being, and extended the length of the ball and chain. He counted the steps of the aggressors and made sure that he would be able to both send the ball flying in a neat arch to their heads and take one down with a well-placed headbutt. Iron before silver, shadow fiend.

Hrmph! Consider it done.
OOC
 


 

__________________
The return of the snail!

Last edited by Dressedtojazz; Feb 7th, 2018 at 05:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB