Game Thread The Forgotten Forge - Page 8 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Shadows of the Last War
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #106  
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 09:39 PM
EngrInAZ's Avatar
EngrInAZ EngrInAZ is offline
The Sword of the Spirit
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 9th, 2021
RPXP: 21079
EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ
Posts: 11,306
Arrun Corliostor
Arrun smiled reassuringly at the dwarven guard while the others explained the situation. When they had finished, Arrun held his open palms up to the guard as a sign of obedience and respect. He touched the embroidered shield and flame on his chest, "As a paladin of the Church of the Silver Flame, I understand the importance of the law and those who enforce it." He gestured towards his new companions, "We are as interested in finding out what has happened as you are. As my companions have indicated, all we know is that the provost did not attend our arranged meeting and when we went to find him, we were assaulted by these assassins. We wish to aid you however we can to bring to justice whoever is responsible." Arrun didn’t think there was much else to say, given what had been said already. He figured that repeating just for repeating’s sake was a waist of time and possibly an annoyance to the guard.

 
__________________
Slowly working my way back.

<DM>Temple of Elemental Evil - Pathfinder
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 03:31 PM
Dressedtojazz's Avatar
Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 20681
Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz
Posts: 9,610
Solomon Salt
Hrmph! Solomon had indeed dropped his weapon when told so by the watch as there was no reason to believe that they would take slight provocations lightly and while he thought less of the young rakes that took to the guard these days, he would admit that they probably got enough training to land a solid bolt in the midst of the group he was part of. He had no desire for that to happen. While he had planned out how to handle the situation when the others left, he now saw no need for him to elaborate further as they had all done that so vigorously.

The only place where he felt it necessary to add something was when the jagged sentences streamed from Ghir'was. It was more a matter of his own inability to follow the primal ranger's words to perfection that it was a question of him being able to support the case with extra information, but he pointed out the places that Ghir'was spoke of, with a gauntlet finger.
OOC

 


 

__________________
The return of the snail!
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 10:49 PM
mad_gondsman's Avatar
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman is offline
dad_gondsman
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 27632
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman
Posts: 9,759
The whistles continue as Kova gives a detailed account of the ambush, signalling the approach of more of the Watch's men. The dwarf steps closer once you are unarmed, lowering his crossbow as he approaches the bodies. He gives the lead warforged a nudge with the toe of his boot before moving to the provost, kneeling to inspect the wound upon his neck. The others follow closely behind him, their halberds pointed in your direction. Some of them glare at you from beneath their caps, daring you to make any sudden moves. It does not take long for several more arrive, brandishing halberds and gasping in shock at what awaits them...

Every bit as gruff and hard-nosed as Solomon, the sergeant nods at Kova's detailed account of the ambush, considering the evidence as it is presented. Coupled with Ky's cooperation, Ghir'Was and Solomon's pointing out the assassins' hiding places, and Arrun's request to assist the Watch in bringing justice to those who would flaunt the law, the stern dwarf doesn't have a lot to say. In fact, he's speechless. By the end of it, the Watch remains close but sparking wands and sharp, pointy objects are no longer pointed your way. He doesn't even ask for your papers or question your business in the Upper City!

"Well..." he begins, but he does not finish. By observing him, you can tell that he's going over the evidence again as if verifying it all... and that he's plainly impressed by both your ability to put down as many warforged as well as present the evidence which irrefutably absolves the group of any wrongdoing whatsoever.

"If you don't mind, let us take a moment to go over the scene," he eventually says, asking you to gather your weapons and step aside.

Once an adequate number of the Watch is present, several citizens emerge from the towers upon Kelsa Spire, pulling cloaks over their night-clothes. You only hope that they will corroborate your story...

*****

As you wait underneath the awning of a nearby storefront, the Sergeant and his Watch inspect the bodies of your attackers and gather statements from those who witnessed events unfold. Fortunately, most of them confirm your story rather and the dwarven Watch-boss approaches you once more, though his tone has changed considerably.

"While it saddens me that you didn't arrive soon enough to save the Provost's life, it's no small feat that you stopped the attackers. We'll have our artificers have a look at the one called Cutter and see if we can't When a warforged is defeated, they aren't always "dead." Rather, they are in an inert state (if they aren't too damaged) and will re-awaken if repairs are made.piece her back together for interrogation..." he says to you all, glancing back to make sure that his accompanying Watchmen are doing their jobs. He wipes at his bald, scarred scalp with his red scarf as he looks at the aftermath, again shaking his head in disbelief. The storm seems to have spent all of its fury by now, but a wind-driven drizzle persists, clinging to your skin and beading up on your cloaks and armor.

"On behalf of the Watch, I'd like to offer you this for assisting us tonight," he says, offering a belt pouch. "It isn't much, but we're downright impressed with the heroism and bravery you showed tonight. If I had more people like you in my company during the War, I'd have done some real good," he says with a chuckle like a rock sliding down a cliff-face. Nevermind that Breland was at war with Thrane and Cyre - Arrun and Ky's homeland, respectively. Sometimes you have to take victories where you can find them.

"We'll notify the University," he says, gesturing toward the provost, as they cover him and place him upon a stretcher that he might be transported away and given a proper burial. The warforged get tossed into the back of a supply cart like piles of refuse.

"If you don't have anything else for me, you're free to go..."

GMI've run this module a lot and this is the first time that a group has ever won over Sergeant Dolom! Good job! As a reward, he gives the group 50 gp. Also consider that you have made a friend in the Watch!

I'll pause here in case the group wants to take advantage of their victory and ask the good Sergeant a few questions. Obviously, you laid out all of the evidence for him, but... eh, I hate railroading players, hehe. If you don't have much, I'll work on a quick turnaround so we can keep moving.
__________________
Tentatively getting back to it...

Become a Community Supporter! | Art of the Two Paragraph Post

Last edited by mad_gondsman; Mar 1st, 2018 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 12:17 AM
ruffdove's Avatar
ruffdove ruffdove is offline
Haroog!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 14th, 2021
RPXP: 20767
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Posts: 4,068
Kova YarabreeKova patted Ky gently on the forearm as they watched the guard continue their investigation. "Thanks for keeping your wits about you and trusting me. I can't imagine what kind of treatment someone from Cyre might receive at the hand of Breland soldiers and guards when they're not in the company of Brelanders, but 'fair' isn't the first description that comes to mind. Let's just stick together until the news that the war's over soaks through those thick skulls." He gazed out past the crime scene and into the rainy night before looking up at her and adding: "And I am sorry you didn't like my fireworks. Bad experience with a dragon?"

OOC
 

 
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 07:12 AM
Stannach's Avatar
Stannach Stannach is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 22nd, 2019
RPXP: 2469
Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach
Posts: 422
Ghir'Was"Dwarf whose name Ghir'Was and his group does not know, but is not destitute like Solomon Salt of the Noldrun Clan. Ghir'Was thanks him for the gift, all will benefit. Ghir'Was warns the Dwarf whose name he does not know, there was the scent of Al-chemy in air before the attack. Ghir'Was thinks City Watch should be careful when inspecting." Ghir'Was was wet, blood soaked, and his Breeland uniform was torn, slashed, and ripped. What a sight he must has been this evening to those unaccustomed to seeing his kind. Now the matter of what to do remained. He took his axe and sat down, assuming they were going to talk out what happens next.

He played with the piece of cloth that he took from the fallen warforged, and began to sniff it. Trying to commit the scent to his memory while he waited to see if the others needed the city watch any longer. He imagined it would be some time before they organized their thoughts, and began moving. These people liked to debate things. Not Solomon Salt of the Noldrun Clan though, he was simple. Maybe he was sick? Keeps making Hrmph noise. Must keep an eye on him...
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 07:27 PM
Kapera's Avatar
Kapera Kapera is offline
The penguins are coming!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 22nd, 2021
RPXP: 19622
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Posts: 3,758
Ky RavsenKy appeared to be doing her best to not shift and move restlessly as she waited on the guard captain to make his judgement and assessment, an attempt which was interrupted by the attention and apparent keen eye of the halfling. As Kova began to speak there was a flash in her eyes, a momentary fire quickly quelled as Ky turned her head away and then looked up into the sky as the rain poured over her face. It did not help that he was right, utterly right, and she was not entirely sure if that made it better or worse. There was a list of things she might say, things which crossed her mind but in the end as she lowered her gaze once more and looked back at Kova, Ky offered him only a half, weak smile with a soft, wry response. "One such as I tends to avoid letting the world know where I am... it was showy."

Their wait for the guards to make their final decision was not long lived, a fact that helped ease a slight knot which had begun to spread from her jaw to her entire back. At the end the sheer number of guards made her almost want to scream and run, both instincts she managed to keep under control. Their innocence now proclaimed, Ky stifled a small sigh and shot a glance toward the dwarf before Ghir'was started to speak once more. The laugh in the back of her throat was low and choked, but Ky was unable to keep it utterly at bay. He was an odd thing but it helped with his seemingly innocent misunderstanding that he kept insulting the dwarf she wished at present to smack once more." It is our own dismay we did not arrive in time either Sergeant, but that it was not left to utter mystery is at least a sense that some good might come of such a deed. " It was a small response of thanks and a conclusion, Ky had nothing else she wished to add at all, nothing, save the desire to leave immediately, which she suspected was better to keep to herself than speak out loud.


 

 
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 09:35 PM
mad_gondsman's Avatar
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman is offline
dad_gondsman
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 27632
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman
Posts: 9,759
Sergeant Dolom doesn't say much as Ghir'Was speaks as Ghir'Was does. "Well, the warforged are..." he thinks for a moment, giving the shifter the stinkeye as if wondering if he should even bother, "... alchemy." It doesn't make a lot of sense, but maybe it doesn't have to. Communication breakdowns being what they are...

"Well I appreciate the way you've handled this, with your cooperation and your apprehension of the murderer," he says to Ky, turning for a moment as the woman with the wand approaches. He steps away and she leans forward to say something to him quietly though she glances in your direction as she talks. He nods solemnly before turning back to you all.

"Before you go, did any of the warforged say anything before you battered the stuffing out of them? Anything... peculiar?"

GMWhile I did let Ghir'Was and his group () know what the dwarf's name is, I got in a hurry and glossed over the whole report-gathering process to the point that it isn't clear that he got yours. Let's assume that he took your names at some point, just for the sake of making sense and filing a proper report.
__________________
Tentatively getting back to it...

Become a Community Supporter! | Art of the Two Paragraph Post

Last edited by mad_gondsman; Mar 1st, 2018 at 09:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 11:01 AM
EngrInAZ's Avatar
EngrInAZ EngrInAZ is offline
The Sword of the Spirit
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 9th, 2021
RPXP: 21079
EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ EngrInAZ
Posts: 11,306
Arrun CorliostorArrun gave the dwarven sergeant an appreciative nod, "Thank you sergeant for your kind words. My companions have a talent for defending themselves and I’m not too shabby with a sword." His expression turned somber, "We also wish we could have arrived sooner. I tried to tend to the Provost but, alas, it was too late." Arrun pointed towards the warforged called Cutter, "This one…the one you called Cutter, she said ‘We are the blade’ when she attacked. Another one repeated it near the end. Do you know the significance of ‘the blade’?" Arrun wiped the rain from his brow, "Also, what do you know about this ‘Cutter’? Is she known to affiliate with anyone, or anything, in particular?"
__________________
Slowly working my way back.

<DM>Temple of Elemental Evil - Pathfinder
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 09:18 PM
mad_gondsman's Avatar
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman is offline
dad_gondsman
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 27632
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman
Posts: 9,759
Sergeant Dolom pulls a notepad from his belt and squints at the paper in the light of the orb bobbing just over his shoulder. He glances back at it with a little annoyance as if cursing it for never being in just the right spot before he jots down the warforged's war cry. "Peculiar," he says before taking a deep, calming breath and flipping the note pad shut.

"None of it rings a bell with me. I didn't see anything in that satchel worth murdering a man for, either, but we never know. We'll have Brunna there," he nods towards the woman with the wand, "... inspect Cutter and see if we can crack this."
__________________
Tentatively getting back to it...

Become a Community Supporter! | Art of the Two Paragraph Post
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 09:50 PM
Kapera's Avatar
Kapera Kapera is offline
The penguins are coming!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 22nd, 2021
RPXP: 19622
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Posts: 3,758
Ky RavsenIf Ky could have found a way to duck out of sight and the direct line of sight of both the Sergeant and the woman, now named as Brunna, she would have. Instead she settled on just a sigh and an attempt to brush water soaked tendrils of hair away from their plastered streaks across her cheeks. A small frown crossed her features as Arrun's words brought back the same vivid memory of the odd 'war cry' and then a small gasp as she almost bolted upright, though managed to avoid doing so as her hand slapped over her face and cupped her forehead as if she suffered a headache.

"Sergeant... At the end, the beetle, we, we did not search them, once they fell Kova sent up a flare and we tended to wounds as we waited for you, but we did not search, and a construct, beetle like, rose out of that one. It was there a moment and then gone..." A part of her had weighed whether or not to speak as it struck her, though the realization that they would attempt to repair, or heal, whatever one might call it now, if that bit of detail was left out, would it suddenly turn the Watch back on them? The more little details she offered, the less likely Ky believed anyone might dare to think that she kept something tucked away in her satchel.


 

 
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 04:55 PM
Dressedtojazz's Avatar
Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 20681
Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz
Posts: 9,610
Solomon Salt
Solomon had eased his tense shoulders and been shrinking on his battle stance with every word the sergeant offered. They seemed off the hook, so to speak. He was a man to Solomon's liking and had it not been for the fact that the Watch most definitely was corrupt and full of green shirts barely out of their teens, he would have considered putting in an application for a job under the dwarf.

Instead he turned to the others, wiped off the water from his beard and gestured with an including arm, to them all, We have a job to do, right? Let us get on our way. No need for us to get in the way for Sergeant Dolom and his people. The question remained, though. Where were they supposed to go. He could have sworn that the four people before him had four different ideas as to the right direction. He would hear them out and help decide.
OOC

 

__________________
The return of the snail!

Last edited by Dressedtojazz; Mar 4th, 2018 at 04:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 01:30 AM
ruffdove's Avatar
ruffdove ruffdove is offline
Haroog!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 14th, 2021
RPXP: 20767
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Posts: 4,068
Kova YarabreeKova rung some rain water out of his bangs and cleared his throat. "I think we've all surmised that someone else wants the materials that Provost Geldem was bringing to us. If those mercenaries merely wanted him dead, then why return in the face of armed resistance with the deed already done? So if someone's after the materials, it seems likely they're really after Taurac's Hammer. I don't think the Wayfinder Society is safe right now--our competitors might seek to regain the trail of these materials there."

He pulled the hood of his fine (and magical) oiled leather cloak back up over his head. "Best we find a nice out of the way place to hole up for the night. We can study the materials in preparation for our foray into the lost temple, those who are hurt can heal up, and I can recharge my spells." Placing his hands on his hips he looked left and right. Kova was very familiar with the city's inns; he was just
Dice Knowledge, Local:
1d20+8 (20)+8 Total = 28
trying to decide which one within reasonable distance would best suit their needs of secrecy and security.

OOC
 

 

Last edited by ruffdove; Mar 6th, 2018 at 01:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 09:40 AM
Kapera's Avatar
Kapera Kapera is offline
The penguins are coming!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 22nd, 2021
RPXP: 19622
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Posts: 3,758
Ky RavsenRelief was painted across Ky’s face once their interactions with the Watch was over, though she seemed more focused on their surrounds then the conversation. As Kova announced the obvious, at least to her, she snorted and looked back toward the group. "Ya aint coming back to my place even if it is probably the safest spot in the whole bloody spires. Somewhere quiet would be good, though up here... eh not somewhere I have had the chance to spend the night..." A roll of her shoulders as Ky drifts back to her watch of the area about them. Based on her expression, it seemed she was seeing little between the rains, lightening and utter darkness of the night.


 

 
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 08:09 PM
mad_gondsman's Avatar
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman is offline
dad_gondsman
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 3rd, 2021
RPXP: 27632
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman
Posts: 9,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky
"Sergeant... At the end, the beetle, we, we did not search them, once they fell Kova sent up a flare and we tended to wounds as we waited for you, but we did not search, and a construct, beetle like, rose out of that one. It was there a moment and then gone..."
The Watch's artificer, Brunna, is in the process of excusing herself from your company when she hears Ky's account.

"A final messenger!" she says excitedly, turning back to the group and Sergeant Dolom. "They're constructs that are attached to some warforged. When that particular unit or whatever meets its end, the messenger automatically detaches itself and darts off to deliver all of the details."

Sergeant Dolom purses his lips and gives all of you a level look, taking in another deep breath as if chewing on a bit of bad news. The globe of light drifts behind his shoulder as he fidgets and shifts his footing. Brunna shrugs her apologies before departing to help the others return what's left of your attackers back to the precinct for closer inspection.

"It sounds like that warforged worked for somebody, and if Brunna is right - and she always is... it's pretty annoying - that somebody is gonna know your faces and what you did tonight. They ain't gonna be happy that you dispatched a whole bunch of their flunkies, either. I don't know how much longer any of you plan on staying in Sharn, but you watch your backs." He pauses, looking each of you in the eye to make sure that you understand the gravity of the situation. "If any of you find out anymore about what this is all about, I'm easy to get in touch with. Just ask for Dolom down at the University District precinct. Now if there's nothing else... please excuse me."

He turns to make sure that everything is wrapped up at the murder scene, shooing gawkers away from his Watch so they can finish loading the "evidence." The murdered provost's body is carefully placed into an enclosed compartment of a nearby cart. The warforged assassins are piled up and thrown into a separate wagon with a bit less care. The dwarven sergeant gives the murder scene one last look as It's rare to see horses in Sharn... they don't do well with all of the stairs and narrow bridges.his men turn the carts around and drag them away, the wheels grinding upon the stone pavers of the skybridge.

As they depart, you look to where the provost once lay and notice the last faint tendrils of blood being washed away by the rain...

GMHiding some skill check info...
__________________
Tentatively getting back to it...

Become a Community Supporter! | Art of the Two Paragraph Post
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 01:07 AM
ruffdove's Avatar
ruffdove ruffdove is offline
Haroog!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 14th, 2021
RPXP: 20767
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Posts: 4,068
Kova YarabreeKova glanced left... then down... then left again, finally nodding to himself. Little Plains would be the last place anyone would look for them, but Kova wasn't sure the others would have the same level of trust in halflings that he had. Also, with so many cousins and friends around, he wouldn't get much studying done there. "The Golden Horn's close--just a stone's throw--and there's more than meets the eye to its security. It'll be safe and just as important, out of this blasted rain. If we step lively, we could be hidden away before whoever's behind this can respond to that beetle's message. Maybe even before they get it..." Kova stepped out into the rain and turned left. "This way, unless someone knows somewhere better."

OOC
 

 

Last edited by ruffdove; Mar 7th, 2018 at 01:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:13 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB