Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Shadows of the Last War
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Feb 17th, 2020, 04:57 PM
dad_gondsman

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27632
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doovol
"If there is anything I can do to be useful, say so and I will assist. I thank you for passage aboard your vessel."
Captain Laeral nods politely at the goblin’s offer, but does not make any requests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kova
"Kova Yarabree, at your service, my Lady Captain! So... how does this ship work??"
The Captain again accepts Kova’s polite gestures, though she keeps a close eye on her crew. It’s clear that she takes her responsibility for the operation of the craft - and the safety of its cargo - very seriously, but she does answer his question.

“This magnificent primordial creature,” she begins, leaning forward and projecting her voice to be heard above the roaring winds that the “creature” ringing the ship generates, “is bound to the ship and provides the lift and the propulsion. I merely bend its will to my own.” She says the latter not as a boast, but as if she is merely stately a fact. The blue ring flashes with lightning as if aware that it is being spoken of, briefly bathing the deck of the vessel with a flash of light that leaves spots before your eyes, before fading back to a dim glow and steady roar of wind. “That aside, it’s a calculation of lift, weight, and thrust.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matz
Can’t believe my luck to have such a pristine jewel as yerself to be taking me soaring today. Forgive me, my lack of geographical knowledge, Cap’n, but how long is our journey?
As Matz steps close, she steps away and regards him coolly as if suspicious of the game he’s playing, but she is not rude or dismissive. "We'll arrive in Korth in a little over a day, so just make yourself comfortable and it'll be over before you know it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky
"I dare say I will do my best to stay out of the way Captain and hope that a small corner in which I can continue plotting our journey will not be inconvenient."
The Captain smiles as if this is exactly what she likes to hear. And as the last bundles of cargo are lowered into the holds below deck, she pardons herself to take care of business.

"Speak with Bosun Gauss regarding where you can stow your things! There will be time to talk once we are underway, but for now, I have to speak with the harbormaster and make sure we're good to take off!" she cries out, holding her hat to her head as she bounces down the gangplank to speak with a rather official looking fellow.

The roar of elemental wind lessens as you descend into the hold of the ship, the noise outside being reduced to that of a crashing waterfall once the hatch is closed behind you. You find that you are able to once more talk without shouting, but that doesn't mean that there is no shouting. Within the hold, there are hundreds of boxes and parcels secured against the hull with ropes, straps, and nets. Toward the aft of the hold is the burly, bald-headed dwarf that Captain Laeral was shouting at. You figure, from the way that he's shouting at the other hands, two young men who go about their job as if the dwarf was lashing them with a whip, that he must be Bosun Gauss. When you approach, he mimes smacking one of the men, his lip curling in disgust before he turns his attention to you...

"Crap rolls downhill, right?" he says with a shrug. "I'm Bosun Gauss. I'm responsible for making sure these louts do their flaming jobs. I hear you all are headed for the Talenta Plains, eh? You must have brass balls! But you're probably getting paid more than I do, so what do I know? Stow your gear wherever you can pop a squat. That's probably where you'll be sleeping, but we have cots and hammocks... or you can sleep on the deck... doesn't bother me. You'll find the privy in the back," he gestures to the rear of the vessel, "and we'll have a hot meal around the seventh bell. If you need anything... hell, the ship ain't that big so you'll be able to find me. Just follow the shouting," he says before turning back on the two young fellows to make sure they're securing the cargo correctly.

DMIf you've got nothing to add, I'll go ahead and skip to your next stop. I know sight-seeing can be boring, but... you're on an airship! There's gotta be some sight-seeing.

Become a Community Supporter! | Art of the Two Paragraph Post
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 10:25 AM
Peace, Love, and Gaming

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19060
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Doovol Khaavolaar It does not take long for Doovol to find a place to store his things. He and his gear are far from "compact"-- to be ready for the field and for battle, one learned to pare down to only what was necessary for survival. But it turns out that, away from cities or supply lines, the "bare necessities" can be a lot of stuff. Storing his full pack high up atop some crates-- out of the walkway, wedged between crates and ceilings, and not within easy reach of most-- Doovol scoped out a corner that he would be able to sleep in. Bosun Gauss' sour disposition and attitude is brushed off by Doovol, but noted. It helped him predict how the man might act in the future, but couldn't be taken personally.

After taking several minutes to explore and map the area below decks to his liking, Doovol made his way back to the ship's deck once the flight had begun in earnest. He had read the briefing, secured lodging... now it was time to look over the landscape. It was unlikely that the route would take the ship over any region of the Plains that the party would later traverse. But still, getting a view of any of the geography might be helpful.

What was far more likely, though, was that the ship would take the party over the Mournland. The reality was that Doovol wished to look down on it and meditate on the importance of the Silver Flame as a weapon against that-- and other-- threats to the future of the Dar.

He watches the horizon expectantly as the ship draws closer to those swirling mists.

AFK 20May-22May. Ten Year Anniversary!

Old Feb 18th, 2020, 08:41 PM
dad_gondsman

Tools
User Statistics
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman
Preparations continue as the small crew dashes to and fro, taking inventory, accounting for weight so as not to upset the ship's center of gravity, making sure that tie-downs are secure... a whole laundry list of things that might give you more respect for a trade of sailors that are typically looked down upon. Although there is no shortage of complaining, Captain Laeral runs a tight ship and her small crew seems as efficient as they come. Within another half an hour, a horn blows and the hum of the ship intensifies as it pulls away from its moorings at the sky docks and lifts into the sky. Captain Laeral remains at the helm, one hand hovering above a device which crackles with eldritch energy and pulses in time with the elemental ring. You can feel your insides drop and churn with moments of weightlessness as she brings the nimble ship around and begins a dizzying slalom between the many towers of Sharn...

After several heart-racing minutes, you break free of the madness that is the aerial hustle and bustle of Sharn. The dizzying tangle of towers and windswept arches rapidly disappears behind you, and as you gain altitude, the King's Forest and The capital of Breland. While not as mind-bendingly curious, adventurous, or fantastic as Sharn, it is a proper walled metropolis where the royal family of Breland and its parliament are located.Wroat appear in miniature far below. The howling of the ship's elemental ring somewhat relents as Captain Laeral levels the ship out and gets to cruising speed, the banners of House Lyrandar flapping fiercely in the breeze...

Once you are in the air and the course is set, Gauss sounds a bell which signals to those of you below that you are clear to move about the cabin and visit the deck of the ship without threat of injury or being thrown overboard by sudden maneuvers. Once the course is set and the First Mate, a grizzled, middle-aged khorovar with a sprawling dragonmark across his forearm, passes on a report, Captain Laeral steps away from the helm and moves to take in the amazing view.

"I hate to see her leave, but I love to watch her go..." Bosun Gauss says with a snort as he joins you at the rail, looking back at the mass of towers rising miles through the clouds and high into the bluest of skies...

Some look back in wonder at the towers. Others, however, look forward with dread at what the next horizon will hold.

Later in the day, as Captain Movato skirts the borders of Thrane and draws closer to the Mournland, the sky begins to darken as if the sun struggles to shine through a heavy gloom. You can feel your spirits fall, almost as if hope is being sapped from your body. Looking out across the desolate, lifeless wasteland that was once proud and beautiful Cyre - the Jewel of Galifar - there is an eerie green glow coming from the horizon... as if some open wound upon the surface of Eberron bleeds into the sky. "The Glowing Chasm," one of the crew members calls it as you approach.

A knot forms in your throat as you look down upon the desolation and wonder what in all of creation could have caused such a thing. Cyre was the future! Cyre was a land of arcane dreams made manifest. In the age of Galifar, it was paradise. What could have turned such fertile farmlands, majestic forests, and wonders of human artistry, ingenuity and civilization to... glass. Everyone has heard stories of the hellish landscape that was once Galifar's proudest nation, but seeing the dead-gray mists swirling along its lifeless border fills you with dread and despair...

"Weep, oh nations of Khorvaire, for the Jewel of Galifar is no more," the young deckhand who greeted you atop the tower recites, quoting the opening lines of Sole survivor of the Cyran ruling family... and rightful heir to the crown of Galifar, if the nation were still to exist.Prince Oargev ir'Wynarn's address to all who gathered in Breland after the Mourning claimed his home and his family. A king without a kingdom, no matter how you look at it...

"Weep this day, my fellow Cyrans, and never forget..."

Last edited by mad_gondsman; Feb 18th, 2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 09:22 AM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20767
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
KovaAs if resting on springs, Kova leapt and clambered up to the deck as soon as the all-clear had been sounded. Had anyone not known better, they might have mistook the halfling for a member of the crew as he scurried to and fro, poking his head over the gunwale, studying the cloudscape around them, and curiously shouting questions at the elemental being ringed around the ship to see if it might respond: "I say, how goes it? Have you been tied to the ship long? How were you first so bound? Do you enjoy your life in the sky? One flash for yes, two for no!"

With the glowering weather dimming the sunshine, the little wizard gained some measure of control over his movements, investigations, and inquiries, and his whirlwind pattern around the deck dulled to a mere meandering. When Cyre passed beneath them, he stopped altogether gazed solemnly down at the dead land. If he'd worn a hat, he would have taken it off as the deckhand spoke. Quietly, for once, he stood by the gunwale and looked up at Ky. He tried to read her face, but kept his questions respectfully at bay. It was a sign that Kova Yarabree was truly your friend when he knew when not to pester you.

OOC

Old Feb 19th, 2020, 07:47 PM
The penguins are coming!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19622
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Involved in imaginary planning, for all that she actually planned anything, was quite enjoyable. Flying was interesting enough, more so she enjoyed having nothing to do for a little while as she watched the others with occasional bemused expressions. Any time she was looked in on though, she did seem to be going over some papers and looked thoughtful. Still, as they were carried toward her homeland, toward the desolation and utter destruction of Cyre, she could almost feel it, granted it was more that she had been paying attention to their progress. Still, the announcement from the deckhand made it hit home in a way she would have rather pretended did not occur.

It was the one time that she actually stood, uncurled from her comfortable nook, and looked over into the abyss, into the nightmare, into what had been. The past stared back with bleak agony. She had... lost so much and yet so many had lost even more. This... this could not be Cyre, not really, it never would be, not in her mind at least. She would cling to it, the memories, the lush green, her beautiful room, the laughter of...

A shadow clung to her expression, dark, foreboding and just the hint of a snarl as slender fingers, deft at their craft, curled and dug into the railing. One last look as she wished to block out the words before she turned, unable to watch it move, fade and ripple beneath them. Home... it would never be such a thing, ever again. Ky made utterly no eye contact with any of her compatriots as she retreated once more to her seat on the deck, though now there was no attempt to pretend at her 'planning', the game had met its end as she faced the reality beneath them.

Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 08:28 PM
Peace, Love, and Gaming

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19060
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Doovol Khaavolaar Doovol would never admit it, but the weaving and winding through Sharn does set his stomach a-churn. The sweets that he had eaten earlier and lack of any protein was having the painful effects he had expected, and the whole mess of it threatened to eject itself onto the deck. It was a merciful gift of the flame when the city limits were finally reached.

The Mournland has a... different effect on Doovol. He recalled well the day that it struck, and the capture of Cleandro Senechal. The man that introduced him to the Silver Flame. Doovol felt... something akin to pity for the man's loss. But Cyre itself? It meant little to Doovol but a lost opportunity for future reconquest. What the Mournland represented was an unknowable threat to the Dar, one that they must be ready to fight and defend against in the future.

Then, the deckhand began to speak. As he quoted the now-famous lines, Doovol recovered his bow and a single arrow. Once within "range", he fired down into the wretched mists. He turned toward the young man. "May it be the first of may against a common foe. We cannot bring back what we have lost. But we can fight the threat." He nods, replacing his bow. When Ky stormed off away from the sight, Doovol recalled her connection to the land. The Ghaaldar wondered if he had somehow offended the human. Offense might lead to grudges, and tactical errors in the mission to come...

AFK 20May-22May. Ten Year Anniversary!

Old Mar 9th, 2020, 03:05 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20681
Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz Dressedtojazz
Matz Barron
Talk to a dancer about balance and you got yourself a quest. The dwarf and his underlings couldn’t have set it up any prettier. Matz took in the dance floor among crates, nets and swinging hammocks once the flight took air and lifted the connection to the boarding tower, and grounded himself, then he fell into the swaying, wild movements of the Sharn maneuvers and entered a flowing state of dramatical movement while he laughed loud and manicly. What he lacked in situational awareness, he got in agility and drunken-style flexibility. He was an impressive show.

Cyre was a mystery to him. He was untrained in the history of Eberron - especially the part of the world that was accessible and ready available for the mortals. He looked to Ky, whom he knew had a connection to the land, and saw her shifting emotions as they crossed the chasm and heard the deckhand’s recitation. He wandered the deck, saw the sights and then found the deck hand in a moment where no one else was close... say, friend... tell me the basics of the story of Cyre. My brain is wasted and I seem to have paid too little attention in school... He shot the man a winning grin under the bloodshot eyes and licked his lips.

Old Oct 1st, 2020, 10:23 PM
dad_gondsman

Tools
User Statistics
"What our dreams imagine, our hands create," the young deck hand replies with a bittersweet smile as he looks out over the wasteland, the green light of the distant rift reflected in his eyes. "That's... that was our motto. If Karrnath is tough, Thrane is wise, and Aundair is clever... well, Cyre was its heart. The man who conquered the Five Nations and established the Kingdom of Galifar... which was undone by the Last War.King Galifar was a military genius, but it was his eldest daughter, Again, each of the Five Nations was named after one of Galifar's five children and given to them to govern.Cyre, who imagined the nations of Galifar working together as a single family. It was the best of what Galifar could accomplish! We had the finest wizards, the best soldiers, and the most talented of artificers, he says proudly before his smile falters. "But what good is a thousand of the realm's finest soldiers against the combined military might of Karrnath, the zeal of Thrane, and the ambition of Darguun?" he casts a look over his shoulder at Doovol, the hobgoblin, but doesn't appear to judge... for religious zeal or for being goblin.

"Some say it was one of House Cannith's experiments that destroyed all that Cyre was and ever would be. Some say it was the One of the more destructive deities of the Dark Six... the dark and mysterious counters to the benevolent Sovereign Host.Devourer's work. Others blame dragons... or some evil from the Age of Demons breaking free of its prison within The labyrinthine, subterranean prison that is the "Underdark" of Eberron.Khyber. It's all speculation, though. No one survived whatever it was. And few that ever pass through the swirling mists at the border ever return to tell the tale."

Seeing Ky withdraw from the desolation and destruction beneath them, the young man sighs and turns away from the railing, himself. "I suppose I've hardened my heart to what has been done," he says quietly so as not to bother the homesick rogue. "Seeing all of this week after week, I still mourn for those that were lost, but... " he trails off, merely ending the thought with a shrug.

The rest of your journey is uneventful, and just as the Captain said, it is a little over a day before you begin your decent. Even after you've thrown off the lingering malaise from your brush with the Mournland, you may find your spirits sinking once more as you look down upon the heart and soul of Karrnath, the city of Korth, silhouetted against the darkening evening sky. It is not because the city is not beautiful, for it rises above the darkly glittering waters of the River Karrn where which you can see the Recap: Eberron has twelve moons, several of which are visible at at any point in the evening. Eberron also has a ring about its equator, but it is not visible this far to the North.colorful moons reflected back at you. Its architecture is breathtaking, harkening to a bygone age and showcasing a haunting elegance that is simply not to be found elsewhere in Khorvaire. What troubles you is as the ship approaches the macabre city, the very first thing you see is the palatial fortress that is Crownhome, home to King Kaius III. Rising far above the rest of the city, its towers and parapets veritably bristle with magical siege engines and arcane cannons... pointed to the sky.

Indeed, to someone that visits Karrnath rarely, the city looks as if the Last War has not ended. Many prominent buildings, as massive as they are old, take up several city blocks. Here and there along their walls and soaring towers you spot a crumbling edifice, a lack of symmetry which draws the eye, and realize that they are pocks and craters from artillery suffered during the War. You've heard stories of Aundair and Cyre laying siege to Korth... but neither of them were successful. Looking down upon the city, you kind of feel sorry for anyone that would dare attempt such an act. Regardless, Korth wears the scars of the battle proudly, it seems. To the East, you spot a series of large skeletal hands emerging from a bluff, hanging limply in the fading sun. You are not sure of their significance, but... perhaps you would sleep better if you did not know. A chill runs up your spine as if you are crossing into another world...

To your relief, the cannons and artillery do not blast you from the sky, though as you approach the sky docks, you see a contingent of soldiers dressed in shining plate and dazzling white cloaks. Heavily armed and armored - and each looking the equal of ten of the sods you saw patrolling the streets of Sharn - these must be the White Lions of Korth, the city's garrison. Several of them move as if to intercept your vessel, their stern gazes searching the deck of the ship before it even reaches its moorings. Their white cloaks, bathed in the blue light from Captain Movato's vessel, whip about in the driven winds.

"Well... looks like they're looking for something. Get The charters you received from Ezala, Tophran's gnomish clerk a few posts back...your papers ready. I hope for your sakes and mine that you aren't carrying any contraband," Captain Movato shouts above the whine of the elemental ring as she brings the ship to bear and Bosun Gauss readies the gangplank. It's at this moment that you realize that Matz is no longer standing at the railing with you. Doovol merely crosses his arms and stares as if challenging the garrison to find anything to charge him with.

"Prepare to board!" he bellows... and even though you may or may not have anything to hide, you cannot help but feel some anxiety. The crew members, gathered at the rails, seem to be dreading this as much as anyone...

Old Oct 1st, 2020, 11:41 PM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
KovaKova held his questions during the deck hand's requiem and decided to table them for further research on his own at a later date. For one thing, he wasn't entirely confident of the deck hand's authority on historical matters. When the words "some say..." start getting repeated, you're generally dealing with story time more than hard facts--not that Kova didn't enjoy story time too. But mainly Kova held his tongue for Ky's sake. She didn't want to hear all this. Kova was sure she already knew every word.

------------

As Cyre receded behind them, Kova's mood brightened and so too did his activity. He abandoned his attempts to interrogate the elemental being driving the ship--it seemed to be a dead end. So he redoubled his inquiries with the ship's crew, determined to learn as much about airships, the sky and its cloudy terrain, everything that was passing beneath them, and of course the occasional polite inquiries about the crew themselves. It was probably a relief to all involved when Korth came into view and fully captured the halfling's attention. He studied the city, committing what he could to memory and jotting a few notes and sketches for future reference onto some parchment he had. When the ship pulled into the dock, he studied the White Lions intently. As a rule, Kova felt fully at ease around authority figures--a tendency that had confounded his friend Ky in the past, though he wasn't entirely sure why. It was only the Captain's final warning that gave the little wizard pause about the impending encounter with law enforcement.

"Um... what qualifies as 'contraband' exactly??"

He ruefully realized that this, perhaps the most important question he had asked during the journey, had been posed too late to get an answer, and too late for an answer to be useful anyway.

OOC

Last edited by ruffdove; Oct 1st, 2020 at 11:44 PM.
Old Oct 6th, 2020, 07:45 PM
The penguins are coming!

Tools
User Statistics
It was not until the ruins of Cyre trailed further behind them that Ky reappeared more or less, though a dark cloud still seemed hung over her. It was not until they approached their actual landing point that the slender woman managed to throw off the mood and the mask of carefree casualness reappeared. Indeed, even as she double checked that they did indeed still have the needed paperwork, her lips moved with the barest hint of sound of a prepared teased statement, cut short before even the first full word was completed "S..."

Contraband. Dear whoever and whatever might be listening, what was contraband, at least she was not wearing her 'night clothes', even though she felt they would be useful, but she had other tools and equipment, weapons, they all did. Someone slipped up and she had her blame utterly ready for one crotchety old dwarf who just loved to make things difficult for her. A slight twitch of her nose as she eyed Kova, a million words shared in that single moment before those pale eyes rose to the Captain, keenly aware that the explanation might be important, not that they could do much at this point, really, it just might help to know just how much trouble one MIGHT get into in order to be ready to deflect.

Old Nov 12th, 2020, 10:29 PM
dad_gondsman

Tools
User Statistics
The elemental ring begins to pulse as the ship slows, drifting sideways to the dock. Ropes are thrown over the side to secure the ship to the moorings and with a clatter, the gangplank is dropped. The White Lions' boots sound out rhythmically as they march up the plank and onto the deck of the ship...

"If you require assistance..." Captain Movato says with a nod of her head, having been through this process a hundred times before. The sergeant of the small squad wordlessly directs his men to inspect your papers before following the captain below decks to inspect her cargo.

A young woman with blond hair pouring from the back of her polished helm steps before you, holding out her hand. "Papers!" she barks. From the look on her face, you'd guess that her intent is not necessarily to be heard above the roaring elemental winds. Bosun Gauss offers up his own papers, his jaw clenched tight as he casts a baleful look over the side of the ship. It is then you notice that the dwarf's arm is tattooed with the mark of the Silver Flame: an arrowhead etched with curling tendrils of fire. Karrnath's necromantic practices likely do not sit well with the apparent devotee of the Silver Flame. He bites his tongue, however, and after a cursory inspection of his belongings and a clipped conversation, the young officer steps to Doovol. With a sneer, she repeats, "Papers!" The hobgoblin, wearing his faith far more proudly than the dwarf, stares defiantly at the guard captain. You can see it written all over his And the way his pointed ears lay back like a dog ready to fight...ruddy goblin face that he's going to do this the hard way...

The other sentries approach the rest of you, one to each, offering up a gloved hand to receive your documents.

"What's your business in Korth?" a sentry shouts as he holds out his hand to receive Kova's identification. The young sentry bends over and looks hin in the eye, measuring his response while nearby, Ky bears even more scrutiny...

GMSKILL CHALLENGE! You guys gotta stop Doovol from blowing this! If you can succeed at three DC 15 skill checks before two failures, they will let you get on with your trip. You can use Diplomacy, Bluff, Sense Motive, or anything you think might pacify the proud hobgoblin or distract the guards... but the successes have to be different skills!

Last edited by mad_gondsman; Nov 12th, 2020 at 10:30 PM.
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 07:21 PM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
KovaKova jumped when the sentry blared the question at him. "Why I'm on an archaeological expedition, my good man," Kova begins
Dice Diplomacy to diffuse sentry/party tension:
1d20+5sch15 (5)+5 Total = 10
soothingly, and in a conversational tone that might make one think he and the sentry were old friends. "Sadly we won't be staying in your fine city for vey long. I would love to extend my stay though, given the fine cosmopolitan atmosphere here... the tolerance of different races and different cultures that other cities so envy," this statement was
Dice K-Geography to leverage his knowledge of the city to shame its officials into better behavior:
1d20+7sch15 (4)+7 Total = 11
pointedly directed at the woman confronting Doovol. "Here are my papers," the wizard beams, handing over his credentials.

OOCOof. Sorry Kapera. I thought for sure I'd get at least one success so you could finish the challenge...

Last edited by ruffdove; Nov 13th, 2020 at 07:22 PM.
Old Nov 15th, 2020, 01:58 PM
The penguins are coming!

Tools
User Statistics
Charm was her middle name, well not really it was more Lies, cheat, steal... one of those was way more likely, but her ability to lie as she stared down the length of a blade was among her momentary prides. She had only just begun to hand her papers over when it struck her. Doovol. She knew she had a reason that she found most of the Flame to be insufferable, their last 'partner' had been almost the same level of headache as the dang dwarf had been. Politics might not have been her strong point, but she knew something as obvious as this AND it was not like Doovol looked all pleased and happy. The stupid thing would probably rather bash in heads to ensure conversion or something.

One moment it was the casual, almost bored movement of handing over papers, it was always better to seem bored than alert in these cases, from her experience at least. The next... well, drama did suit her at times. "Doovol, darling, I think I have your papers! Shards, I think we switched satchels when we woke up!" Even as she had almost handed her papers over, she just as quickly pulled them back her eyes wide as she looked down at them, one hand on her side before she stepped sideways and near toppled into Doovol. It was not an overly dramatic, oh no I tripped, but an honest half catch of her footing as her mind was more focused on getting through this smoothly, and not the ground. She would need to lecture someone at some point, how on earth were you supposed to keep things low key when you had ZEALOTS on hand.

One hand still clutching her papers, the other reached and squeezed his shoulder. She was not strong enough to muscle him out, but there was a definite pressure of her fingers into the edge of his collar bone. "Let me see... oh no, I must need more sleep... sorry, sorry, I thought we had crossed our gear over, but... looks like I was imagining things. You can tease me later... I owe you a drink Doovol dear, didn't mean to embarrass you!" It was a sheepish expression now, though she did not leave her position, nor her grip on Doovol's shoulder as she looked to hand her own papers back over once more. Let him pull away, or even chide her, she totally needed to get his attention somehow.

Now the issue was... how did the young officer feel. Distracting Doovol was really only one half of it, she was sure. Her gaze slid over the young man's face, her sheepish expression still evident and... damnation, his face was blank, utterly... how was she supposed to know how to deal with the other half of the problem if she couldn't read them?

Old Nov 19th, 2020, 03:20 PM
dad_gondsman

Tools
User Statistics
Although King Kaius ir'Wynarn III, descendent of The last ruler of the united Kingdom of GalifarKing Jarot and current ruler of Karrnath, is widely credited with brokering an end to the A 100-year conflict for the right to rule over the Five Nations of GalifarLast War, one may think that account is little more than a fairy's tale. Given the military posture of the city and the way these legendary stone-faced guards demand compliance with hands upon their sword hilts, that is. Karrns are a hard people made harder by military service and the harshness of their land. If the Awards for valor and service in specific campaigns...colorful ribbons and badges upon their breastplates are any indicator, even the youngest of these White Lions of Korth is a seasoned veteran of the Last War.

No one can deny that Karrnath spent more of the Last War in active warfare than any of the other four nations. As the siege-marked walls of The capital of Karrnath, where you recently docked...Korth indicate, the country never left a war footing and - until the The treaty which ended the Last WarTreaty of Thronehold - they rarely considered a cease-fire with the neighboring nations. Battles between Karrnath and Cyre to the South were spectacularly bloody affairs, but even Aundair and Thrane to the East were rarely given quarter. Karrnath was able to keep up this pressure because they have one resource that no other nation - Cyre was the first to bolster its army with the Warforged of House Cannithexcept perhaps Cyre - could match: the undead.

Shortly after the Last War began, plague and wheat-blight savaged the proud nation, bringing low the Galifarian province known for its military tradition. The combination of famine and disease was so devastating that King Kaius I, desperate to save his realm, turned to the The strange faith extols that everyone has a spark of divinity within... and some members embrace undeath as a way to escape the oblivion of Dolurrh.Blood of Vol for aid. Soon, his dwindling army was bolstered with legions of tireless, fearless soldiers which needed neither rest, sustenance, or protection from the bitter cold. Overwhelmingly, the patriots of Karrnath agreed that should they fall in battle, they would rise and continue to fight for their beloved home as the undead. Today, it is said that the vast majority of Karrnath's undead troops have been hidden away in crypts until they are needed again, but even as several guards gather and stand motionless upon the skydock, you have to wonder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kova
"Why I'm on an archaeological expedition, my good man," Kova begins soothingly, and in a conversational tone that might make one think he and the sentry were old friends. "Sadly we won't be staying in your fine city for vey long. I would love to extend my stay though, given the fine cosmopolitan atmosphere here... the tolerance of different races and different cultures that other cities so envy,"
The sentry looms large over the halfling, looking back and forth between him and his papers which twitch and leap in the wind generated by the elemental ring. He pauses and stares at Kova as if about to inquire of something, but then he suddenly looks to Ky as she stumbles across the deck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky
"Doovol, darling, I think I have your papers! Shards, I think we switched satchels when we woke up!"
The hobgoblin's ears twitch as he is distracted from his staring contest with the guard captain, and his brow wrinkles above his blue-ish nose as he tries to make sense of what Ky is going on about. He reaches down into his own satchel and pulls out the booklet containing the Gnomes from the nation of Zilargo who possess the Mark of Scribing. Through the powers of their dragonmark, they provide verification of all sorts of documents (like your charters) via the Notaries Guild. Obtaining a forgery of their approval is exceedingly difficult.

House Sivis also oversees the Speakers Guild, which transmits messages around Eberron instantaneously, regardless of distance between stations.
House Sivis
-signed documents declaring his identity, affiliation with the Wayfinder Foundation, and the purpose of his travel. He looks down at them as if to verify that Ky's name is not upon them... and the guard captain snatches them from his grasp!

"Come on, now! Let's go," she says as she impatiently examines the hobgoblin's documents. Ky can feel her Ghaal'dar companion bristling beneath her grasp, but as she digs her fingers in, he looks to her instead of the challenging sentry. It seems that he has gotten her hint. He's here because he agreed to do a job, and letting his pride get in the way of doing that job would Hobgoblins take personal honor, or atcha, far more seriously than any other race.bring him dishonor.

Looking somewhat disappointed that everything seems to be in order, the sentry pushes the documents back into Doovol's hands and turns her attention elsewhere, assessing whether anything has been found.

As Ky's scene concludes and her own identity is confirmed, the man standing over Kova gives one last glance at the halfling's papers before returning them. "All is in order, sir," he says, having picked up on Kova's affiliation with House Ghallanda. "We've received reports of smugglers attempting to enter the city. If you observe anything suspicious, report it to the White Lions, immediately. Enjoy your stay."

"You're clear, Captain," the sergeant of the guard eventually says. Captain Movato's tricorn hat bobs as she nods her appreciation, watching the troupe as they march down the gangplank.

"I hope you fare well on your journey. Now pardon us, but we have a tight schedule," Captain Movato says, concluding her business with you with as much politeness as she can muster before turning to her crew, shouting orders to get cargo unloaded...

GMThat post was 70% Eberron-isms and 30% skill results, haha... but all is well that ends well! You succeeded at the challenge. I'll give you all a moment to gather your things and roleplay a little before I launch the final leg of the journey...

Last edited by mad_gondsman; Nov 19th, 2020 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Clarity!
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 09:55 PM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
Kova"Smugglers!" Kova exclaimed at the guard's warning. So many questions! What are they smuggling? From where? To whom? Is it contraband, or are they just circumventing tariffs? If it is contraband, what constitutes contraband?? It had not escaped Kova that nobody had answered that one the first time he asked it. He was about to unleash this barrage on the guard when Ky's warning look made him think better of it. Instead he followed up his exclamation with: "Well, good hunting. Be careful. If I see anything suspicious, I'll be sure to let you know." The wizard would have to sate his curiosity about the smugglers of Korth another time.

Kova hefted his light pack and, giving one last searching look to the elemental being that drove the airship, he led the group down the gangway, peering over the edge the entire way across.

OOC