RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 02-12-2019, 06:16 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 168
Sir Swindle Sir Swindle
Upon a Shaded Glen [Ars Magica]

Game NameUpon a Shaded Glen
Game SystemArs Magica 5th Edition
ThemeExploration and Survival
FlavourHighish Fantasy, Largely Ahistorical
Plot SummaryThe Praeco of Transylvania has believed for some time that there is a nest of subversive hedge wizards held up in a regio Northwest of Bac where the Drava meets the Danube. The project spent another few years being passed down through the ranks of Tremere who couldn't be bothered with it directly until it eventually fell to Fierro, the Tremere in charge of the expedition. You and a number of other young magi were recruited from your home tribunals by Fierro or by Azhir the mysterious Maga he travels with. You were promised a favorable charter privileges as Coloniea (magical settlers to the tribunal) with the regio as your covenant site if you were willing to assist in the seizing of the location.

For whatever reason you accepted the assignment and went with the expedition through a gateway woven of trees. You find yourselves in a wide field with tall broad leaved grass up to your waist and enormous trees on all sides. Fierro, Azhir, and the bookish elder Magus with them take a perfunctory look around and tell you to scout around while they secure this site for the moment.

This will be a saga about exploration and survival. The saga will come in roughly three parts. Exploring the regio to find a covenant site. Finding and executing a strategy to exit the regio. Living happily ever after as Coloniea in Transylvania under the ever watchful eye of house Tremere.

House Rules

Posting RateI will post twice weekly. I will respond to questions as often as I can via what ever methods you can get to me.

Character RulesAll books allowed.
Mythic Companion characters allowed and may be of any age
Developing a system to make Magically Mighty Companions balanced and viable.
No Holy or Infernal Magi
You may have between 0-10 years Later Life
You may have 0-5 years Post-Apprenticeship

Application Information
I am looking for Magus and Magus equivalent characters.
Character Name:
Character House:
Birth Place:
Parens' Tribunal:
Magical Specialty:
Character Areas of Interest:
Background:
I DO NOT EXPECT A FULL CHARACTER SHEET. Partial or Full Virtue and Flaw list would be helpful.

Number of Players4-6 I don't think I can deal with more magi than that.

Last edited by Inem; 02-17-2019 at 04:04 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:32 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
callen95
Sounds great! I like the combination of exploration with mystery. I have an idea for probably a Flambeau that I'd love to play.

Character Name: Valeria
Character House: Flambeau
Birth Place: covenant in Provencal probably
Parens' Tribunal: Provencal most likely
Magical Specialty: Manipulating her own magic along with Life Boost and Life-Linked Spontaneous Magic
Character Areas of Interest: Necromancy

Background:
Raised at a covenant dominated dominated by Flambeau magi, she has always desired to be a great mage within the order, and great in Flambeau terms leans toward combat and adventure. Now she has passed her gauntlet and it's time to make a name for herself.

Partial Virtue and Flaw list:
Affinity with Rego [1], Life Boost [1], Life-Linked Spontaneous Magic [3], Minor Magical Focus: Manipulating Her Own Spells [1], Puissant Rego [1], Skilled Parens [1]
Ambitious: Greatest Hermetic Warrior Ever (or something similar) [-3], Covenant Upbringing [-1], Infamous: Necromancer [-1], Small Frame [-1]

Last edited by callen95; 02-14-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:21 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Sir Swindle Sir Swindle
I understand you are trying to do something with Necromancy and then manipulating your Necromanced things I just don't see how it is supposed to work.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:41 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
callen95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Swindle View Post
I understand you are trying to do something with Necromancy and then manipulating your Necromanced things I just don't see how it is supposed to work.
The main magical focus isn't necromancy. Rather, it's being able to manipulate her magic extremely well (Maintaining the Demanding Spell, Suppressing the Wizard's Handiwork, etc. in addition to expending Fatigue). Given that she has this talent at manipulating her own magic, she will focus on preparing things in advance to unleash when needed.

Necromancy works well for that: make a bunch of animal corpses and animate them so they can be unleashed upon your enemies. So necromancy would be a favorite method of applying those talents. But I'm not aiming for a one-trick pony. Other things can be done well, too, such as creating a Pilum of Fire that lasts and can be moved about (yes, extra magnitudes).
Old 02-14-2019, 08:54 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
callen95
I played around with numbers a bit. It looks like I can pull off what I was thinking without Affinity with Rego and without Puissant Rego. That frees things up even more, including the option of House Tremere.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:10 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Diedne
Character Name: Beatrice
Character House: Merinita
Birth Place: Rhine???
Parens' Tribunal: Rhine???
Magical Specialty: Glamour, Second Sight
Character Areas of Interest: Illusions, All those weird durations and stuff fairie magic has to offer

Background:
Not sure yet if she is minor or major fairie-blooded
Old 02-17-2019, 11:48 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Diedne
Virtues and Flaws at gauntlet: Puissant/Affinity Imaginem, Second Sight, Skilled Parens, Minor Satyr Blood, Venus blessing, Gentle gift, binding the gift, fairie magic
Unnatural magic, Major lecherous, minor carefree, magical animal companion (magical satyr lover?), ability block martial, small frame

Post gauntlet initiation virtues and flaws: spell timing, glamour, harmless magic, poor memory faces, social handicap (colorful hair and clothing)

I also want to bind the familiar pre-gauntlet because I want to get something out of the virtue binding the gift
Old 02-17-2019, 12:29 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
callen95
Yay. I was starting to get worried I might be the only one applying.

Glamour is very cool.
Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Larates
Very interested in this, dont have my books in front of me to work up a character idea, but wanted to make certain it was noted that I wanted to play.
Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
gwythion
Seneslav ex Tremere

Character Name: Seneslav
Character House: Tremere
Birth Place: Coeris
Parens' Tribunal: Transylvania
Magical Specialty: Self-Transformation
Character Areas of Interest: Immortality, Destruction of Hedge Wizards, Service to House Tremere
Virtues: [Skilled Parens]; Flawless Magic; Affinity with Corpus; Puissant Corpus; Cautious Sorcerer; Strong Faerie Blood (Faerie God Blood: Zeus); Minor Magical Focus (Self-Transformation)
Flaws: Hatred-Major (Hedge Magicians); Supernatural Nuisance (Greek Pantheon Faeries); Disjointed Magic; Covenant Upbringing; Visions; Mentor

Background:
The child of a grog in the Coeris covenant; when he was a baby, his father died protecting a Magus in combat against a group of hedge magicians. He grew up hearing often about his father, and being doted on by Viktor, the magus he died to protect. As a small boy, he got fed up with missing his father, and decided to sneak into the Portal of Eurydice, to go to Hades and bring him back. No-one is quite sure how he managed to sneak in, but he came back out after mere moments, healthy and whole but changed forever by the Faerie realm. His memory of the time inside the portal is very fragmented, but he feels that he was inside for many years, and when he hears stories from Greek mythology involving Zeus, he often remembers them happening to him.

After his harrowing experience, he was harshly reprimanded, but he was so young that many were also quietly impressed by his strength of will, and that he managed to come back. After reading a tractatus on the Portal which suggested that only those with the Gift could survive it, his friend Viktor tested him, was overjoyed to realize that Seneslav had the Gift, and took him as apprentice.

Seneslav never forgets that his father was killed by a hedge magician, and he takes the Order's "Join or Die" philosophy to heart - jumping at any chance to join an action that allows him to massacre them.

He felt for a long time that his faerie blood was a curse, since he has been continually annoyed by faeries trying to draw him into their mythological greek melodramas, which he views as the bane of his existence - because he can't destroy the faeries outright, he is often left with no choice but to play along. Recently, however, he has been approached by the Cold Iron Vexation, who have offered him a spot when he becomes Experienced; and this discovery that there can be a use to the House for his Faerie nature has helped him to make peace with it.

While he has forgotten most of what happened in the Portal, now remembering only snippets, and mostly in his dreams, there is one stark memory that has never wavered, or faded - the sight of wailing, tortured souls, who died ignominously, flowing down the River Styx, accompanied by a feeling of pain, horror, and utter despair. He made up his mind that he will never go back there, so he has to make sure he never dies, unless it is a glorious death.

Last edited by gwythion; Yesterday at 08:38 PM. Reason: minor grammatical/typo stuff, fixed twilight bit, fixed flaws.
Old Today, 11:29 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Sir Swindle Sir Swindle
Thanks everyone for expressing interest. I'm going out of town tomorrow and I'll be on my phone only until the 26th.

@Callen I have talked to you, I think I have seen Valeria's full sheet before? Was she posted on another game?

@Diedne I sent you a PM. I don't think we had any major issues. Where did I pull you from? Have we talked before?

@Larates No rush. Talk to me on the discord. I can respond pretty easily while I am gone on there. That server is too big to unmute, so tag me to make sure I see things.

@Gwtyhion You really took the Saga pitch and tailored your idea to it. That is fine. Some insight into me, I write IC descriptions as an unreliable narrator so not everything in the description of the saga set up is 100% accurate, obviously for there to be plots there have to untold complications. So don't be surprised if your magus slips from a situation he finds perfectly comfortable in to something he needs to adapt his style to.

@All I don't generally like Puissant and Affinity with the same thing. It's a fairly boring way of choosing virtues. There has to be something more interesting you can do with that design space. This isn't a rule, just my preference.

My note to Larates applies to everyone. For quick questions just tag me on the RPGX or Ars Magica Discord. Or PM me I guess. I may or may not be allowed to link those. I think since they are community areas and not something for this game specifically it would be OK. But getting infractions would be irritating.