RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 12:27 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21625
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Mass Effect: Aftermath

Mass Effect: Aftermath

What is This?Mass Effect: Aftermath is a Mass Effect campaign set after the events of the Reaper War, using Mongoose's Traveller 2e ruleset. Yes, a few things had to be modified to create that experience within Traveller. To accommodate this, I have created a guide HERE, that details everything you need to know.

There is also a pdf version which can be found here.

Do not be alarmed by the amount of content I included, I do not expect players to read though all of that. You should just cherry pick the content that pertains to your character.

What if I never played Traveller?Not a problem. So long as you have the desire to play a character in the Mass Effect Universe, you're all set. Traveller is a very easy game to pick up and I am more than happy to help those new to the ruleset.

The SettingThe reapers have been destroyed.

Thanks to the valiant efforts of Commander Shephard, the crew of the SR2 Normandy, and all those that fought and died on their home worlds and in the climactic battle around Earth, the enemy was defeated. But the cost was high.

The crucible made no distinction between which sentient machines it killed, also snuffing the 'life' of the True Geth that had fought alongside the rest of the galaxy. In order to do so, it used the system of mass relays that dotted the galaxy as amplifiers for the crucible, leaving them damaged, seemingly beyond repair.

In the aftermath of what became known as the Reaper War, a pervasive silence fell across the galaxy. Friends and families suddenly found themselves light years apart with no safe means of reaching each other.

Much of the galaxy's military had deployed to earth in an attempt at a final push against the reapers. Though they succeeded, they also found themselves stranded, unable to return to a home that was left with nothing more than a bare-bones military.

The construction of large ships designed to travel at FTL speeds capable of safely discharging their drive charge into facilities located within the ship itself, began shortly after the reaper's defeat. These starliners, as they came to be called, took years to design and build, and even then, the time to travel between star systems could take upwards of almost a year.

During this time, colonies and stations that relied on the mass relays to sustain themselves went dark. Pirates and mercenaries found there was little to stop them from taking whatever they wanted. Rival factions and organizations quickly began fighting over nearly everything, with no real military presence to stop them.

The galaxy had survived the reapers, it was yet to be seen whether it would survive the aftermath.

The story so far...You are currently working on a frigate called the Stone Talon. The ship is comprised of various races, all working under a human, Captain Nathan Fields. For one reason or another, the crew of the Stone Talon had found themselves in the Eagle Nebula when the mass relays came down, essentially stranding them in the system. Over the subsequent years, Captain Fields and his crew have been working as mercenaries, taking whatever jobs they could while doing their best to survive.

The ApplicationApplication Deadline: 8/13
Party Size: I am looking for 5-6 players
Posting Rate: 1-2 posts per week
Books Allowed: Core Rulebook, Central Supply Catalogue, and and Pre-Career Options (Except Psionic Community) from the Traveller Companion. Note: Anything in the guide supersedes anything found in the core books.
Creating your Character: As this is Traveller, we will be using the normal lifepath character creation method. All lifepath rolls should be made in the dice thread here. DO NOT make any rolls in this application thread.

I have included pretty much everything you need in the guide here. Please do not feel obligated to read through it all (Though you are more than welcome to, if you are so inclined).

What to Include:
  • Character Name
  • Description (A picture is always nice)
  • Home world/colony/station
  • Breakdown of Pre-Career and Career terms (include a link to your lifepath rolls)
  • Character History. With lifepath rolls in hand, give me a few paragraphs that detail your character's background/history. Please be sure to include why they are on the Stone Talon(Just needed a job, hiding from something/someone, etc.)

Applications
Player Character Race Careers Status
Moonzar Akina Nakamura Human Biotic Reviewed
savoylen Alonzo Tillerman Human ?? / Agent / Scout WIP
Silk Nuiis Caliala Asari Biotic / Engineer / Entertainer / Drifter Reviewed
Ghost6442 Kali Zorah nar Bramilliad Quarian Drifter / Engineer Reviewed
Tahril Natalia Surkov Human Biotic / Engineer Complete
Anea Urdnot Kurdak Krogan Soldier Complete

Last edited by Silent Rain; Aug 12th, 2021 at 08:45 AM.
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 12:32 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34202
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Akina Nakamura
Callsign: Whisper
Race: Human
Home: Colony in the Eagle nebula
Role: Biotic Adept
Family: Used to live with her younger sister, a medical student, and her sick mother on earth

Description: Akina's frame is small but ripped like an asian wonder woman. Focusing on training mind and body, she spent way too much time in the gym alone instead of partying with friends. She has no interest in a particular competitive sports, otherwise she would have been professional material. Her face is clear, with wide eyes and full lips. Akina's hair are long but often tied as a bun over her head. Akina doesn't makeup or dress up. Her favourite style is plain such as pants and leather coat, with sneakers. She is about 5'8 and 140 pounds of muscle.

History: In her early life, Akina used to be an office clerk in a major corporation that makes drones. She worked in accounting, reasonably smart and educated she was quite capable. Yet, she never really have the ambition or motivation to climb the corporate ladder. Corporate life is brutal and highly competitive, but not much bother the young woman who is made of steel. Her job pays the bills and is a good front for keeping her exceptional biotics talents low profile.

Akina discovered her biotic abilities pretty early on as a kid. It didn't come as a surprise since her father was a Biotic operative for the government. He trained her daughter himself in combat and helped her to develop her talents. As a teenager Akina wanted to enlist and join the corp, but her father stopped her; he didn't want his daughter to be controlled by the government and live a difficult life like him. Unfortunately, he was totally right as that life got him killed. With her dad gone she became the main family provider for her mom who is often sick and her younger sister who is in med school. It became quickly obvious that Akina would never make enough money in an office to keep take care of her mom and pay for her sister's studies.

To provide for her family Akina becomes Whisper, a mercenary working on ships as a powerful Biotic. She doesn't mind jobs that involve beating up some people, but she is not an assassin for hire. Though she is a bit wild at times, and wreck things just because she can. Enjoying the mass effects power flowing through her body and the sounds of crushing metals.

Relationships
Alonzo & Akina (Whisper)They tracked down together a hacker that was destabilizing the power grid of Humble Roots Arcology. Akina doesn't take kindly that people play with her neighbourhood and decided to take things into her own hands since law enforcement wasn't making any progress. Not having the means to track someone on the net, she teamed up with Alonzo, a young cyberhacker. They managed to catch the perp but it was an adventure to hunt the guy left and right (Athletics - Dex for Alonzo) (Jump and tumbles!Athletics for Akina) in different areas of town and defeat battle drones that were hacked. Alonzo had a revelation and decided to join the police academy shortly after.

Nuiis & Akina (Whisper)Aboard the Stone Talon, Akina accepted Nuiis as her teacher. Getting an Asari perspective of Biotics was invaluable for the young human who only trained with her father . Nuiis is teaching her what she knows about Asari commandos and how they Melee Bioticsmix physical prowess and biotics. The old Asari finds Akina wild and hopes to tame her a bit so that she can be an effective crewmember that is under control and not a liability.

[Dice Rolls] [Old App]

Last edited by MoonZar; Aug 11th, 2021 at 08:59 PM.
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 12:42 PM
Banned

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12536
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Are first-timers to traveller welcome? I've had a hankering to play a Quarian lately...

EDIT:
Now I feel dumb.
What if I never played Traveller?Not a problem. So long as you have the desire to play a character in the Mass Effect Universe, you're all set. Traveller is a very easy game to pick up and I am more than happy to help those new to the ruleset.

Last edited by Marshmallow; Aug 2nd, 2021 at 12:49 PM.
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 12:47 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Same here, never played.
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 01:12 PM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33212
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Hmmm...

I am the very model of a scientist salarian...
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 01:30 PM
Banned

Tools
User Statistics
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
@SilentRain Should we roll lifepath for the applications?
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 02:22 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Hello everyone. Glad to see so much initial interest.

@Marshmallow Yes, please go ahead and make your lifepath rolls.
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 02:41 PM
Banned

Tools
User Statistics
Aight, I've probably messed it up, I need to top my memory back up on this from the last time I experimented with Traveller's char-gen. :')

Last edited by Marshmallow; Aug 2nd, 2021 at 02:53 PM.
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 02:49 PM
He/Him

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26099
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Very interested! I’ve never played Traveller either so I’ll have a look through the books and see what appeals.
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 02:55 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
I just added a flowchart to the rolling thread that should help with how to progress through each term.
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 03:15 PM
Banned

Tools
User Statistics
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 03:21 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
@Marshmallow Sure, go ahead
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 04:19 PM
Banned

Tools
User Statistics
Okay, I think that's me done rolling the lifepath up, I need to do the Mustering out / Benefits stuff where applicable, do we do that per term (that doesn't end with a mishap) or only when we leave a career?

EDIT: On further consideration, I think I'll be pulling out of the application race, bit of a bummer, but that's how it be sometimes.

Last edited by Marshmallow; Aug 2nd, 2021 at 09:24 PM.
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 12:28 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
Question: What is "Effect of the check" "Effect damage" in biotics? They refer to it a lot, but dont explain how to calculate it.

Last edited by MoonZar; Aug 3rd, 2021 at 07:06 AM.
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 02:50 AM
He/Him

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26099
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
On second thoughts, as much as I would love to play in this game, I don't have the time to learn a new ruleset at the moment. Good luck with the game, folks, it should be fun!