Notices

Old Apr 29th, 2021, 01:20 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1585
Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula
AIME: Scholar Sub-class

I'm planning a low-magic campaign but I want to give them a spellcasting choice if they really want it.

I plan on using the AIME classes and would add the following Scholar Sub-Class:

Scholar: WizardBy 3rd level, you have learned to cast in the manner of a wizard.

Level1st2nd3rd4th5th

Spellcasting Attribute: INT
Cantrips. You learn two cantrips of your choice from the wizard spell list except any that do HP damage. You learn an additional wizard cantrip of your choice at 10th level.
SPELLBOOK At 3rd level, you have a spellbook containing three 1st-level wizard spells of your choice except any that do HP damage. Your spell book is the repository of the wizard spells you know, except your cantrips, which are fixed in your mind.
Preparing Spells You prepare the list of wizard spells that are available for you to cast. To do so, choose a number of wizard spells from your spellbook equal to your Intelligence modifier + your wizard level (minimum of one spell). The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots. You can copy one spell for free every time you gain a level.
Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your INT modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your INT modifier
RITUAL CASTING You can cast a wizard spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell in your spellbook. You don't need to have the spell prepared. The gold and time you must spend to copy a ritual spell into your spellbook is halved.
Spellcasting Focus You can use an arcane focus. There are no component pouches in this setting.
Light of hope:At 7th level you may forcibly present your arcane focus and create bright light in a 30 foot radius and dim light for a further 30 feet. Any creature of the Dark Lord in the radius of the light that fails Spell Save (CHA) [at disadvantage if within 30feet] takes damage equal to your scholar levels and are frightened of you for one minute. The fright ends if you or any of your companions attack the creature. Those that save take half damage and are not frightened. The light lasts until the end of you turn unless you concentrate on it. If you concentrate on it, creatures within 30 feet at the start of your turn continue to make saves but not at disadvantage. You may maintain the light a number of rounds equal to your INT modifier. You must long rest to use it again.
Shattering Quake:: At 10th level you may forcibly strike the ground with your arcane focus and cast "Shatter" spell using your spell slots. You must short or long rest to use it again.
Counterspell: At 14th level you may cast either 'counter magic' or 'dispel magic' w/out using a spell slot. You must short or long rest before using this power again.
Master of Magics: At 18th level you learn the firebolt cantrip and may use it once per encounter. You learn the 'bless' or 'create bonfire' spell and for you it's a wizard spell. You learn the 'aid' or 'lesser restoration' spell and for you it's a wizard spell. You learn either the 'aura of vitality' or 'conjure animals' spell and for you it's a wizard spell. You learn either the 'death ward' or 'dominate beast' spell. You learn either 'commune' or 'greater restoration' spell and for you it's a wizard spell.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Last edited by Shula; Apr 29th, 2021 at 01:24 AM.
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 09:04 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 959
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Looks like a class that is close to the LoTR magic system. Gandalf is 4000 years old and only gets the Master of Magics stuff.
Well thought through!

If your game is set in ME I will be making an application!

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.

Last edited by DebiRedHair; Apr 29th, 2021 at 09:04 AM.
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 01:06 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebiRedHair View Post
Looks like a class that is close to the LoTR magic system. Gandalf is 4000 years old and only gets the Master of Magics stuff.
Well thought through!

If your game is set in ME I will be making an application!
I was thinking of running a low-magic campaign using the classes of AIME but not set in ME.

I suppose I could run the Mirkwood campaign.

The great thing about AIME is that the characters age while the gain levels as opposed to DND 5e where you could go from 1st to 20th in a year's time for the character. Something wrong about a character who starts 16 years old and is the greatest (fill in a class) before his 17th birthday.
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 01:40 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Gandalf spells as I see it:

Slots:4-3-2
Cantrips: Light, Prestidigitation, Fire Bolt
1st: Bless, Identify, Feather-fall, Control Flame, Read Magic
2nd: Shatter, Detect Thoughts, Arcane Lock, Knock, Heat Metal
3rd: Dispel Magic, Counter Magic

The Firebolt Cantrip should probably be once per long rest as Gandalf doesn't use it willy-nilly.

Gandalf as I envision him is much weaker than the sub-class I was aiming for.

Last edited by Shula; Apr 30th, 2021 at 01:40 AM.
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 05:22 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 959
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shula View Post
Gandalf spells as I see it:

Slots:4-3-2
Cantrips: Light, Prestidigitation, Fire Bolt
1st: Bless, Identify, Feather-fall, Control Flame, Read Magic
2nd: Shatter, Detect Thoughts, Arcane Lock, Knock, Heat Metal
3rd: Dispel Magic, Counter Magic

The Firebolt Cantrip should probably be once per long rest as Gandalf doesn't use it willy-nilly.

Gandalf as I envision him is much weaker than the sub-class I was aiming for.
You have a point and it looks like a great class. An elf does not have to worry about aging in ME so that would suit me. Not sure if I would go caster or fighter though.

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.