twitter facebook

Notices

Old Aug 23rd, 2016, 09:38 PM
dilige et quod vis fac
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8103
ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb
Name: Knows-Too-Much (Sooty)

High Aspect: Canny Old Shaper
Anchor - an antique full length mirror with a tarnished silver rococo frame.
  • Invoke - Knows is aware of most of the cats around. At least by reputation, and by the descriptions given by their burdens when they come to the store and try to make conversation with Chris.
  • Invoke - Because he's in the shop most of the time, Knows is an enigma to most other cats. particularly the young, wild ones.
  • Compel - Though he's still wilier than most, Knows has gotten used to being indoors. He's slower than he used to be, and his sense of direction isn't as good.
  • Compel - A thousand, thousand lifetimes. Knows relies on stories for a lot of his mastery of shaping. This can make coming back to himself difficult sometimes.
Description: "Sooty the cat sleeps in a chair, a black thundercloud on the way to something else, who happens right now to look like a cat."
Christopher won't stop quoting that damn line. He's closer to the truth than he thinks, but that doesn't mean it isn't getting tired.

Troubles: Not my books!
Anchor - a leather bound collection of Maupassant's short fiction. Scratch free for all the years Knows has slept on it.
  • Invoke - Knows has read most of what's in the store. There's a remarkably robust occult section.
  • Invoke - No new ideas under the sun. Very little comes as a surprise to Knows given all he's read. Say what you will for burdens, they've remarkably active imaginations.
  • Compel - The new humans in the neighborhood are forever taking away Knows' favourite books. Most of the time they don't even read them, it's disgusting. Sometimes he'll go to look for something to read and it just won't be there anymore. Not to mention, Chris is terrible at keeping on top of stock orders.
  • Compel - Use a bookmark, those dog ears are forever. Knows can't stand seeing books damaged. It's one of the few things that can make him lose his cool.
Burdens: Christopher and Stephanie.
Achor - the bookstore. Secondary Sources.
A young couple, very uncool. Steph is a chemical engineer who works in QA - she got a real degree, and a proper adult job. She used to run the dark room back in highschool, but hasn't done much photography since. Chris did his BA in literary studies and runs the second hand book store underneath their apartment, pulling in enough to cover his share of rent. Most of the time. He'd make a half way decent writer if he'd actually sit down and do some work instead of constantly burying his nose in the stock.
  • Invoke - Steph works all day and Chris is pretty hands-off. Knows can get away with pretty much anything during these hours.
  • Invoke - The burdens who come in during the day talk a lot. Knows hears all the gossip if he cares to listen.
  • Compel - Having burdens that don't go out much is a mixed blessing. Steph in particular likes to cuddle in the evening. It can make getting things done after dark quite difficult.
  • Compel - Chris reads as much as Knows, maybe more, and he always remembers where he leaves his books. Hiding them for later isn't much of an option.
Old Aug 23rd, 2016, 10:19 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6883
Spoonybard Spoonybard Spoonybard Spoonybard Spoonybard Spoonybard Spoonybard Spoonybard Spoonybard Spoonybard Spoonybard
right-aligned image
Name: Bastet (Muffin)
A ruddy Abyssinian at the prime of her life who believes she is descended from the cats of the ancient Egyptian pharaohs (she isn't).

High Concept: Aristocratic Namer
  • Anchor: Her Burdens' yard is her territory. Though not much on its own, it's still her kingdom, and she guards it fiercely.
  • Invoke: A traditionalist at heart, she seeks to understand the old ways of the cats, earning the respect of those with similar politics.
  • Invoke: She has a naturally commanding presence and a gift for oration.
  • Compel: Seeing no reason to lie, she always tells the truth, even when it does more harm than good.
  • Compel: Get dirty, on purpose? She will not walk through that muddy field, thank you very much.

Trouble: Flaw? What flaw?
  • Anchor: A swivel mirror given by her Burdens to call her own. How she loves to look at that perfect feline specimen staring back at her.
  • Invoke: She keeps herself neatly groomed and in good physical shape. Her ancestors are always watching, after all.
  • Invoke: With a clear mind and conscious, she doesn't easily fall victim to the deceptions of others.
  • Compel: She overestimates her abilities. As a result, she takes frequent risks and is confused by her failings.
  • Compel: She is susceptible to flattery and reacts negatively to overt criticism.

Burden: The Beachley-Campos Family
A lesbian couple in their young thirties, Amanda Beachley and Erica Campos, their son Jason and daughter Penny. Also included are two particularly stupid English bulldogs named Hoover and Dyson, and an evil sentient parrot named Annabelle.
  • Anchor: Bastet technically belongs to Penny, the youngest of the Beachley-Campos clan. Even at 5 years old, she makes sure Bastet doesn't forget who belongs to whom.
  • Invoke: The human family is loving, tightly-knit, and resilient in the face of adversity. If human intervention is required, they can be reliably called upon. It helps that Erica is a veterinarian by trade.
  • Invoke: She knows the True Names of the dogs, and can use them to her advantage. Unfortunately, it is difficult to get them out of the house if they are stuck inside.
  • Compel: Being a part of the family does mean putting up with their faults. Jason is both curious and precocious, a dangerous combination. Penny likes to play dress up and tea party far too often.
  • Compel: Annabelle would see the world burn, if only she could escape her cage.

Last edited by Spoonybard; Aug 26th, 2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 01:30 AM
Realist

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1964
doccer doccer doccer doccer doccer doccer doccer doccer doccer doccer doccer

Name: "Boss" Gingerpaw (Carson Williams)

Description: Male, adult (5 years old) orange cat with long fur. Somewhat egotistical he sees himself as the boss of his territory and fights to keep it clear of "bogeys". Doesn't think much of humans but can be patient with his own kind, particularly the women he adores.

High Aspect: Best Mouser in Town.
*Invoke: Can sniff them out and hunt them down anywhere.
*Invoke: Can fight them all day long.
*Compel: There's one! Go get him!
*Anchor: Claws, my finely tuned killing tools. Teeth are good too.

Trouble: Dames.
*Invoke: I'm the Boss, I demand by share!
*Compel: Try to keep them happy. All of them.
*Anchor: Verna. The best gal I know. Just about perfect. Still though, no reason a guy can't have five or six or more women.

Burdens: Albert and Sasha Williams.
*Invoke: Usually a good source of food, a safe bed and some snuggles.
*Compel: They're not too bright and often ignore my demands.
*Anchor: The Apartment. Not much to look at, but it is the center of my life. Food dish, comfy bed, "doggy door" in the door. It's got a lot going for it.

Skills
Great (+4)
Fight
Good (+3)
Rapport (Stunt: Top Cat)
Notice (Stunt: Hunter)
Fair (+2)
Territory
Athletics (Stunt: Sprinter)
Stealth
Average (+1)
Will

Writing Sample:

(This is something I wrote up as a side joke to another game on this site. The GM didn't like it though. It fits here nicely though.)

Last edited by doccer; Aug 24th, 2016 at 01:40 AM.
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 03:48 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17735
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
The premise of this sounds great! Depending on how long kdtompos waits until starting this, I might send in an app. (The problem is that I don't know the ruleset at all and thus need to read up on it and likely won't get anything written before the weekend. Possibly. Maybe. Hm. *downloads the rules*)
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Are brains low-carb?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 975
Brainwired1 Brainwired1 Brainwired1 Brainwired1 Brainwired1 Brainwired1 Brainwired1 Brainwired1
Paws-of-Stone updated.
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 09:53 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17735
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
Well, the basic idea of the system and the specific setting wasn't too much reading so, here we go.

Snorri
Name: Snorri (Cloud, name used by Matthew and Veronica; $expletive furball, used by Walter)
right-aligned image

Description: Snorri is a young, male - yes, all the important parts are still there - Norwegian Forest Cat. His luxurious silver tabby coat is long and shiny - the more so, the less time he has spent outdoors. It is a regular sight at the Carlisle’s in the afternoon to see the tomcat relax on Matthew’s lap while the Burden is allowed to brush out any stray tangles in his fur. The cat is especially proud of the silvery mane framing his broad face.

There is a tear in the cat’s right ear, a couple of scars grace the bridge of Snorri’s nose and a patch of fur on his left shoulder is still rather shorter than the rest, following a disgraceful shave around a nasty bite he incurred there a while back.

High Concept: Fierce and loyal Shaper
Snorri fiercely protects what is his and only turns into a soft, purring ball of fur for Matthew. If he has a really good day, he might accept a quick petting from Veronica, but he turns his back on anyone else trying to pet him. And their stupid god better protect any human but Matt who even thinks of touching his belly.

He tries to rigorously keep the dogs of the house wary of and away from him, but this does not always work, mostly, he suspects, due to their bad memory.

Snorri sees himself as something of a feline champion for the neighborhood.
  • Invoke: humans who have frequented the house and whose attentions have been coldly turned down in the past may be maneuvered to helping by allowing them to pet him and thereby to feel special.
  • Invoke: while he comes to blows with other cats over territory as much as anyone, he would never leave anyone behind when on a common mission.
  • Invoke/Compel: he fiercely protects his territory from anyone trying to take it from him.
  • Compel: humans who have felt his claws may go out of their way to make trouble for him. (For example: try to throw him out of their yards, shoot him with water guns or even send a dog after him.)
  • Compel: it takes a lot for Snorri to acknowledge another cat’s fighting abilities. This can make him seem condescending.
  • Anchor: a trophy collection hidden in a tangle of seemingly impenetrable underbrush of the backyard. Other cats may collect toys under the couch, Snorri likes to keep trophies of his victories. Be it a patch of fur, a ripped collar or the skull of a particularly big rat.

Trouble: Snorri is truly fearless
Wait! You might say. That’s not a trouble!
Be assured though, it is. Fearlessness is the other side of the coin to recklessness.
  • Invoke: there is nothing he is not willing to face, if he sees the need for it.
  • Invoke: since he knows no fear, it is near impossible to make him back down with threats.
  • Compel: he often underestimates the danger of a situation.
  • Compel: if his courage is doubted, he will go to great length to prove the doubters wrong.
  • Anchor: his mane. Even though he sees himself more connected with stories he has heard burden tell about the tie to his ancestors in Nordic mysticism, he still appreciates how the mane likens him to a lion, the courageous king of beasts.

Burden(s): Matthew and Veronica Carlisle
Matthew is a fourteen year old boy who was largely responsible for bringing Snorri up and taking care of him since. This inevitably included dealing with the various injuries the tomcat has come home with.

Until half a year ago, Matthew was very active - sometimes even too much for Snorri’s tastes. But then one day he didn’t come home for weeks and when he finally did, he was sitting in a weird chair on wheels and wouldn’t get up. Veronica is his mother who took over Matt’s chores in the boy’s absence. The father, Walter, also lives in the house, but since it is him that apparently insists on inviting dogs into the house, Snorri cannot stand him. (And the dislike is mutual.)

They live in a modest house with a surprisingly large, albeit not too well kept garden, that provides a lot of space for the animals of the house. The state of the garden suits Snorri pretty well, offering a lot of places to hide. The dogs frequent invasion of the space is less pleasing, even though all three of them have learned to fear his claws on their noses and usually accept him as the master of the house.

The dogs are Hector, a hyperactive husky who needs frequent reminders about keeping Snorri out of the canine games, Grunt, an aging mutt slightly smaller than Hector and easily the most “pleasant” for the cat to be around, and Patch, a puppy mutt with some corgi in its bloodline whom Snorri is still educating about the rules of the house.
  • Invoke: the garden provides a lot of places to hide and a cat flap allows easy access to and from the house. It is never closed.
  • Invoke: Snorri can be assured of good care if he should get himself injured.
  • Compel: the dogs can be a pain, especially when Hector wants to play or Patch happens to be awake in the night and starts making a racket should he see Snorri.
  • Compel: Matthew feels comforted by Snorri’s presence and it can sometimes be difficult to sneak away in the night.
  • Anchor: Matthew Carlisle. If not for the boy Snorri might be inclined to find himself another Burden.

Last edited by Blackfyre; Aug 25th, 2016 at 12:20 PM. Reason: added anchors
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Dapper Grizzly

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4419
kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos
Wonderful! All of these look fantastic so far. I'm really rather shocked that there's as much interest as there is, since I didn't anticipate having more applications than I'd be capable of running the game for. However, we've reached that point; which means that some of these wonderfully evocative cats may not be included . That really does grieve me, but I couldn't possibly run a game with this many characters and still give each of you the attention and spotlight you deserve.

I am attaching a chart to the initial post that records applications made, as well as their completeness. So far, every application has everything I've asked for!

I'll also note a cut-off date of Midnight (PDT or GMT-7), Friday, August 26th.

Following that, I will either select 5 applications, or possibly even randomize it since I am thoroughly impressed so far by what's been presented.

Last edited by kdtompos; Aug 24th, 2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Dapper Grizzly

Tools
User Statistics
kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos
9/1/21 There will be no tweaks beyond the standard Fate Condensed rules. Disregard the following as part of the previous game.

left-aligned image
Also, for those that are interested:

Fate Core is rather straight forward in its claim to be a general system with numerous dials and knobs that each setting or GM can tweak as necessary. In addition to the changes already outlined in The Secrets of Cats (i.e. Skill changes, Magic Stunts, Scale, etc.), there are a couple other modifications that I will be bringing in from the toolkit or other sources.

AnchorsI've already mentioned the addition of Anchors, as suggested by Rob Donoghue, which most of you have already implemented splendidly! These are incredibly valuable to me as they become so helpful in fleshing out parts of the world that matter to you as the players, giving me more concrete things to latch on to.

Thank you so much for adding those!

Skill ChangesThere will also be a minor skill change/swap from the list outlined in The Secret of Cats.

As recommended by Ryan Macklin in the Fate Codex (Vol.1, Issue 2), I will be removing the notice skill and replacing it with the survival skill. There is no need at all to purchase to Codex linked above, as I will explain the concept to the degree necessary for this game.

Notice, as typically used to roll for awareness (catching details, quick assessments, etc.) will be done automatically according to your other skills. E.g. those with high Lore, Empathy, etc. will automatically receive information accordingly. I like being up front with information you can use that your PCs would likely notice, and intentional effort to discover further is covered by investigation.

Survival will take on some of notice's other roles, such as detecting stealth or reaction speed (when necessary). It will also be used for typical survival tasks such as foraging/hunting (for sacrifices perhaps), tracking in the wild (separate from seeking), or defending against projectiles by utilizing cover or withstanding elements like fire or cold.

I'll give you a more detailed write up of the skill and stunt examples once we have a game set up, but that's the crash course.

StressAlso, characters will not have any stress. None at all.

This is an option outlined in the toolkit, as explained here --> Stress-Free.

Because of this, every hit counts as it will result in a consequence if there is no concession. This brings me to the next tweak:
ConcessionsAnyone may concede at any time in order to avoid a consequence or escalating fate. This is different from the typical approach where concessions may only be made before dice are rolled. This is added in for two reasons...
  • Without stress, there needs to be a release valve in conflicts or else consequences will abound!
  • I want to encourage concessions... honestly, they're pretty awesome. Please don't discount their value

Because of this, when you or an adversary takes shifts of damage in a conflict, that character may choose to absorb those shifts through consequences (up to 2 for a minor, up to 4 for a major, and 6+ for a severe) to remain in the conflict -or- concede (which will remove that character from the conflict as well as attach a new scene aspect most likely).

Concessions will be rough, but should also be fairly common.

A good explanation of this general idea can be found here.

This change not only makes the game a bit more tense/dramatic, it also keeps conflicts from dragging on (which is a common problem in PbP games, as I'm sure you are aware).

Those with high corresponding skills will be granted an additional consequence slot (physical or mental) at Good (+3) or two of them at Great (+4).

CompelsFinally, I want to emphasize the powers of compels.

I intend to compel your characters a lot, giving you lots of options for fate points, as well as keeping things complicated.

I also encourage you to throw compels at NPCs or adversaries. This is one of the big benefits of discovering other characters' aspects, or creating potent scene aspects -- you can use them to overcome an opponent quickly at the cost of a single fate point. If I feel that's shortchanging the challenge too much, then I'll have to spend a fate point to deny it, right?

Let me know if any of these need better explanations, or your interested in further reasoning. I don't typically buy into a lot of house rules, but Fate is build for this kind of tweaking.

Last edited by kdtompos; Sep 1st, 2021 at 07:30 PM.
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Been there, done that

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5569
Codger Codger Codger Codger Codger Codger Codger Codger Codger Codger Codger
I was not expecting necromancy for corvids, much less its only use being against ghosts. In any case, it looks like you have a full boat here. I still might write up an app just for the practice ....
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 05:42 PM
Dapper Grizzly

Tools
User Statistics
Certainly, Codger! If something strikes you, I welcome the addition. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 05:54 PM
A Cynical Instrumentalist

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2873
KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion KKristophDavion
Picture up for Stark, got some extra app things finished, I think i'm now 99% complete at this point
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 06:32 PM
Lord of Space Dundee

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4565
GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13
If Notice is being removed, what skill will be used to detect invisible beings and astral travelers? I had taken the Preternatural Awareness stunt for Ezekiel because I figured seeing those would be part of his deal, but now I need to re-think things.
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 08:30 PM
Dapper Grizzly

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCommander13 View Post
If Notice is being removed, what skill will be used to detect invisible beings and astral travelers? I had taken the Preternatural Awareness stunt for Ezekiel because I figured seeing those would be part of his deal, but now I need to re-think things.
Good question -- Survival is your answer.

Preternatural Awareness (Survival): Your sense of the other is particularly strong. +2 on rolls to hunt or track invisible beings, astral travelers, or other supernatural weirdness. Survival is also considered 2 ranks higher when determining automatic notice of the same.
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 08:56 PM
Lord of Space Dundee

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4565
GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13
Oh. Hmmmmm... I was thinking of not taking Survival at all because Ezekiel just isn't a wilderness survival type of cat, but I suppose it kind of has to be a thing for him.
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 09:44 PM
Dapper Grizzly

Tools
User Statistics
No prob, Fate is all about flexibility.

Off the top of my head, how about:
Paranormal Analysis: You are well versed in the signs and indicators of creatures from beyond our typical senses. Use Lore when tracking or hunting invisible beings, astral travelers, or other supernatural weirdness. (This doesn't give you a bonus, but completely frees a skill, which could be worth more than +2 potentially)

Or:
Second Sight: with concentration, you can take in far more than meets the naked eye. If invisible or astral travelers have left and clues behind, +2 to investigate rolls. (This obviously is more about piecing together clues than actually noticing the beings, but may be a provocative direction.)

-------------------------------------

Also, Codger, we could probably build a raven using the cat template if you're really invested in that path. That's your call if you are really sold on it or not.

Last edited by kdtompos; Aug 24th, 2016 at 09:48 PM.