RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Aug 28th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Dapper Grizzly

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4419
kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos
The difficult choice has been made, and messages sent out. There were far too many fantastic applications to make this an easy choice, and I hope for opportunities to play games with each of you in the future. Thanks for your interest in this odd endeavor!
Old Sep 1st, 2021, 03:12 PM
Dapper Grizzly

Tools
User Statistics
kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos

Please forgive this act of Thread Necromancy. This game is being revived, and the old body was too wonderful to try and create a new host from scratch (pun unintended, but noted).

This game is starting anew, and new applications begin here as well.

Cheers.

Last edited by kdtompos; Sep 1st, 2021 at 03:15 PM.
Old Sep 1st, 2021, 06:27 PM
Lord of Space Dundee

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4565
GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13
Oh. Oh my. I didn't expect to see such an old thread light up my subscriptions feed.

So can I just leave my old application there, or do I need to spruce it up?
Old Sep 1st, 2021, 11:23 PM
Dapper Grizzly

Tools
User Statistics
GrandCommander! I've been looking through the old stuff, see what I could revise, etc. So I've been seeing your avatar quite a bit. Great to see (the contemporary) you again!

(And yes, I've been shuffling things around in that forum and posted the advertisement there first so I could look it all over. You probably got a heads up before anyone else then.)

Ezekiel, your past application is great. I had a couple tweaks last time that I'm not going to implement this time that you may want to be aware of. There's also a couple spots we could spruce up as I've altered (refined, perhaps?) my tastes regarding the Fate system over the past 5 years as well.
  1. Skill Set is standard again (with additional Magical Skills from Feline Magic). Last time I think I threw a wrench in part of your planning by replacing Notice with Survival. Good news: Notice is back.
  2. How can we punch up your High Concept? (I've found that one of my few criticisms of Secrets of Cats is how weak prescribed High Concepts are. Adjective-Noun gets the job done but in general I push for really punchy ones now.)
    • What role does Ezekiel play within the Parliament?
    • What about his background/history still defines him?
    • How would he stand out in a I just had to google what a group of cats was called -- not disappointed.clowder of cats?
    • If he were a human protagonist, what new things would you consider highlighting?
  3. How can we make his True Name more esoteric/convoluted? (Just as with High Concepts, the Adjective-Noun combo feels flat, but even more so here as a true name really feels like it ought to be pretty peculiar.)
    • Contrary to Double Edged, Say More Than One Thing, and Clear PhrasingSound and Standard Aspect advice, I would go a big cryptic here. Maybe make it a phrase that really hits you in the gut regarding Ezekiel, even if it's not perfectly clear what it means. You and I will brainstorm ways to use it later.

That's my only advice. I'll start tracking applications and make sure that Ezekiel is included! Burdens, Troubles, Anchors (though I'm not pushing that this go 'round either) all look fantastic. Let me know if you want to workshop some of the stuff I pointed out above.
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 02:47 PM
Dapper Grizzly

Tools
User Statistics
Hmmm, this may not grab as many people as it does me, ha! I’m gonna give it a weekend bump and we’ll see if there’s enough interest to get a crew going.
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 08:01 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 450
Dunderklumpen Dunderklumpen Dunderklumpen Dunderklumpen Dunderklumpen
@kdtompos,

I'd be very interested in playing Secret of Cats. I've run it a couple of times (live and Pbp), but I've never really had a chance to play it.

What would you like to see by way of an application?
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 02:06 PM
Dapper Grizzly

Tools
User Statistics
Dunderklumpen, I was part of the Camp Rocky Falls game with you here not long ago, and it's always great to have someone familiar with the system. If you're really interested, and GrandCommander13 is still interested as well, I'd be willing to run this with the two of you.

That's up to you guys, as a two player game definitely has a different feel, but I'm down with it. I'll see if there's any more interest over the next week, but there seems to have been a recent influx of Cthulhu style mystery games lately and I think I came late to that party, so this may cap our current interest.

Today, I'll be setting up the forum and the two of you could simply build characters there rather than have you build one for an application. I always prefer a bit of collaboration in character creation anyway. So If you and Grand are good with a small crew, we can get started fairly soon with world-building, etc.

But that's up to the two of you whether that feel is something you'd be interested in!
Old Sep 7th, 2021, 07:49 PM
Lord of Space Dundee

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4565
GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13 GrandCommander13
I hope we get more interest, since Secrets of Cats is such a fun setting. You play as cats, protecting humans. What's not to love?
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 12:12 AM
What canst thou say?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27600
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
I have too many ongoing games to apply, but wanted to thank you for releasing this gem into the world!
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 06:38 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Here's a character I'd be keen to play. I had a version of him worked up for a game that never got off the ground. I'm happy to work on the specifics if it looks like we are going to give this game a go.

concept
right-aligned image
Name: Bagheera (humans probably call him Smokey).

High Concept: Fierce shaper with a troubling reputation

Bagheera is a huge warrior cat, who uses Shaping magic as well as teeth and claws to fight. He's got a reputation as a killer and a past of dubious dark deeds.

Trouble: Ex-hench cat of the tyrant-cat Genghis.

Bagheera was an enforcer for a powerful tyrant cat (a rival parliament from nearby, maybe?), but after a falling out, and being almost killed, he's left that life behind. You can't easily leave that sort of reputation behind, and Genghis is still out there, of course.

True Name: the scar across the darkness

I'm sure that can mean a few things...

Burden: River Olsen, owner of the Silver Witch

River is a millennial new-ager who has a business selling crystals and healing spells out of a small shop and living in the apartment above. Bagheera is not overly fond of people and originally only started showing up because the stoop outside her shop had a sunny spot in the morning, but River's gentle persistence eventually won him over and now he's happy to share her apartment and let her feed him.

Free Aspect: *the* cat to beat.

Bagheera is one of the biggest cats around, and he can use his reputation to convince, without having to resort to violence, although, when he does, he's pretty good at it. The downside is that an aggressive young tomcat that's looking to make a name, might just see a chance to make their reputation as the cat that beat Bagheera.

Skills
+4 Shaping
+3 Athletics, Fight
+2 Physique, Stealth, Territory
+1 Rapport, Investigate, Notice, Will

Stunts

Because I am an experienced shadow walker I can use my Shaping in place of my Will to defend against supernatural or magical mental attacks

Dangerous Move - (Fight, SoC) Your every movement telegraphs your martial prowess. You can use Fight instead of Provoke to intimidate.

Heisenberg’s Cat - (Athletics, FM) It’s uncertain where you are at any given time, as you move when people aren’t expecting it and without physically crossing the intervening space. You may use your single zone of free movement at any time each exchange (Fate Core, page 169), and you can use your action to move on your turn as well if you like. Catch: You can’t use this stunt if there are any obstacles between you and the zone you want to move to. When you appear at your destination you make a pop from displacing air, removing any non-magical stealth aspects you had.

Magical Stunts

A Knack for Change - You’re more experienced at changing your physical form.
Each time you purchase this stunt, you can maintain another simultaneous
Shaping aspect.

Change Size - (Exclusive) - You can use Shaping to radically change your size for
the rest of the scene, letting you move along the scale ladder. The opposition
increases by two per rung along the scale ladder you want to transform.

Shadow Form (Exclusive) - Whispering your name to the darkness, you transform
yourself into a shadow, gaining Shadow Form for the rest of the scene. To
attempt to transform, use Shaping with Fair (+2) opposition. If you fail the roll,
you still become a shadow, but the transformation warps your mind; you gain a
negative aspect—like Cruel Streak—for the rest of the scene. In this form you
can see in total darkness, you’re completely invulnerable to physical sources of
harm, and you can attack spirits (with Fight). Because you exist in two dimensions,
you can slip through the narrowest crack and travel almost anywhere.
However, you can’t travel outside of shadows or darkness, can’t attack or interact
with anything physical, and can be hurt by spirits and light. Though you’re a
shadow in a shadow, you aren’t invisible; you’re darker than your surroundings,
and your eyes still shine with reflected light. You may, however, invoke Shadow
Form to aid your Stealth rolls.

Last edited by Dunderklumpen; Sep 10th, 2021 at 05:58 AM.
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 01:03 PM
Black Lives Matter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3552
slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick
I agree with bananabadger. This looks like a blast and is inspired by many things I love (cats, Cats, Neil Gaiman, the PNW). Alas, I don't have the brainpower to learn a new system right now. I hope the FATE crew finds this!
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 02:49 PM
Dapper Grizzly

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks Bananabadger and Slapstick! I hope it garners enough interest to get off the ground as well (obviously). I’ve removed the application deadline and instead am just probing for further interest. If we get enough to launch it, then that’s the crew!

Dundee, I really like Bagheera! I have some probing questions about so many fun aspects (pun unintended). Speaking of Aspects, they’re fantastic. I have no suggestions there as I think they have lots of little hooks already that I can grasp onto. However, the brothel aspect feels a bit anachronistic for a modern neighborhood. I think we could make whatever interests you most about that work though. I’m curious what you would think of perhaps a strip club that hasn’t been uprooted by the gentrification yet? (This maintains a bit of the sex-work, doing what you need to get by, type feels). Or maybe a halfway house for women escaping domestic violence? (This maintains the community of women in compromised positions, but obviously zigs a bit where brothels zag). Or maybe you have a concept of a modern brothel that hasn’t occurred to me yet?

Either way, we can throw some more questions around once we know whether the game’s happening for sure or not. Fantastic app, for what it’s worth.
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 07:50 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I think you are totally right. Its a hang on from the original character that doesn't really work.

I could update it to a "gentleman's" club, but maybe that doesn't work for a gentrified area. So, I'd probably change this to something else completely.

How about:

reworked burdenBurden: River Olsen, owner of the Silver Witch

River is a millennial new-ager who has a business selling crystals and healing spells out of a small shop and living in the apartment above. Bagheera is not overly fond of people and originally only started showing up because the stoop outside her shop had a sunny spot in the morning, but River's gentle persistence eventually won him over and now he's happy to share her apartment and let her feed him.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 12:03 AM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Zioneer
Good evening!

I saw Dunderklumpen discussing getting into a Secrets of Cats game, and came to check it out. I love the setting, supported the kickstarters, and feel familiar with the rules. I had a character idea come to mind as I read through the other posts, so I quickly put something together as an application:

Name: Saint

Saint is a black and white tuxedo cat, with a white cross on his forehead. He lives at St. Bernadette’s Catholic School in the small residence for the few nuns who still teach at the school. Saint is a bit unsure of the way of cats in the parliament, in part because he has never been welcomed in. In a previous life, Saint was familiar to a witch who used dark magics, and talented seekers can sense this lingering influence. His memories from this time are murky, but sometimes come back as cryptic messages. The students at St. Bernadette’s treat Saint like a celebrity at the school, but he largely tries to avoid the sticky and grabbing hands of the children. Instead, he is very loyal to the few nuns who are holding out in the teaching world while most of their colleagues are now no longer “under vows.” These nuns, however, have been known to cause problems for other cats’ burdens, as they tend to lobby heavily against any business or organization that is not “safe and wholesome” for their community.

Kitten Name:
Common Name: Thomas; named for showing up at St. Bernadette’s Catholic school on July 3rd, the feast day of St. Thomas.

High Concept: Warder is Looking for Acceptance
Trouble: Witch’s Familiar
Burden: The Nuns at St. Bernadette’s School
True Name: Fortune’s Hex
Free Aspect: School Mascot

Skills:
+4: Lore
+3: Warding, Illusions
+2:, Empathy, Burglary, WIll
+1: Territory, Rapport, Investigation, Notice

Magic Stunts:
Fear Monger; Invisibility, Entrap, Sidestep?

Stunts:
Psychpomp
Many Lives
Preternatural Awareness
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 12:13 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Hey @Zioneer, long time no game!