twitter facebook

Notices

Old Apr 8th, 2021, 03:58 PM
Number one slime girl

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 53
RWBY2019
hey I have a race I customized from a 3rd party source can I use it?
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 06:59 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3224
Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBY2019 View Post
hey I have a race I customized from a 3rd party source can I use it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Hammerhand View Post
I'm calling time of death. I would rather not lead players on. I cant bring enough mental focus to bear for this game. Sorry everyone, thank you for applying with some stellar applications. Happy hunting

Looks like this game was called off some time ago. You could try applying for some of the other games on here that were made more recently. Good luck in finding a game!
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 02:44 PM
Hideous Hunchback

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 974
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
Application process Reopened!

I have come to a point where I think I can run this game and it's literally all set up to run, hidden away in the many thread archives of this website.

If anyone who was interested previously is still interested, please, repost your application after this post or post an entirely new character.
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 05:30 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4995
DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore DaniLore
This is such a unique take on Barovia, I'm going to dive headfirst into it like a shark on bait

Last edited by DaniLore; Sep 13th, 2021 at 07:37 AM.
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 05:34 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 970
Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer
Ok, I’ll bite. Pun totally intended .
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 08:36 PM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3624
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
NoteI like to reuse characters of mine that I feel I haven't played enough. I also tend to weave their past (setup and somewhat altered adventures of a usually prematurely ended game) into their background. Hence the sometimes convoluted backstories. But I think it's fitting for a high level game, especially one where characters have a past life.

right-aligned image

name: Zara Pharn
race: drow (female)
class: sorcerer (red dragon)
mechanic background: noble
appearance: In her life she used to be pretty, though not stunningly beautiful as opposed to some of her kin. Beauty was not her goal or concern. Still she's kept most of her good looks throughout the endless decades of serving as a vampire knight. However she became a bit more muscular and skinny. Her cheekbones grew more defined, and the red shine in her eyes has somewhat intensified. And of course there are her elongated canine teeth. Maybe her hands are which lost most of their grace over the years. Her once fragile fingers became bony and they end in thick black claws. Her deep violet skin tone took on a paler, ashen hue.
Like in her life, strange tattoos adorn her arms and shoulders that range from non-figurative actual scales but it's not evidentscale-like outlines to webs and flowers. Some of her tattoos faintly glow in the dark with a silvery light. She keeps her dense white hair long, usually clamped into a pony tail.

Note: personality and traits refer to before she was turned into vampire
personality: Her "evilness" stems not from being cruel or actively aiming to cause suffering to others, no. It's merely the selfish aspiration that doesn't take into account (must not take into account) what hardships or misfortune reaching her own goals would cause to others. Everyone is to look after themselves. If they fail at that, it's not her problem or concern. This is the way of the Mothergod.
trait1: "No one could doubt by looking at my regal bearing that I am a cut above the unwashed masses."
trait2: "My favor, once lost, is lost forever."
ideal: "Power. If I can attain more power, no one will tell me what to do."
bond: "I will face any challenge to win the approval of my family."
flaw: "I too often hear veiled insults and threats in every word addressed to me, and I'm quick to anger."

Backstorybackstory: The Underdark is an unforgiving place and no less are the ornate cities of the drow. Born only a niece to the matron mother, Zara hardly even had noble status. But house Pharn was tragically (or luckily from her standpoint) short on noble females. Thus she got adopted as a daughter of Mother Pharn. Many shared this fate, even outsiders: outcasts from other, more powerful houses, talented wanderers, halfbloods even.
Zara didn't show signs of divine favor however. Instead she had some inborn affinity with magic. Had house Pharn been more powerful and less in need of every ounce of potential, maybe Zara's fate would have been a lot less fortunate. But they couldn't afford to lose someone with at least some arcane power.

She ended up seen as tolerable. On the one hand it kept her safe from the most ruthless struggle for power and the most intense intrigues. But she had to work very hard to prove her usefulness over and over again. By the time others noticed the potential she managed to reach, it was more beneficial to gain her as an ally rather than trying to waste her.

On a fateful night house Pharn fell to an unforeseen invasion. Unbeknownst to the Pharn family sinister forces were to blame, far more ancient and powerful than any rival drow house. Luckily Zara and some of her siblings were saved by a secret circle of followers of the Dark Maiden. It was then that the dark machinations were revealed to the siblings. In exchange for their escape, they were sent to investigate and prevent further destruction in other drow cities.

The Pharn siblings wandered in unknown tunnels and caverns for weeks, fighting off deep horrors and starvation before they reached the gates of their destination. To their disappointment they were late: the city was ruined. Corpses and decay everywhere. They still entered the gates hoping to find out what might had happened. Stumbling upon a long sealed off chamber they were in the middle of searching through its secrets when the enemy found them. The city turned out to be less deserted than it had seemed. In a desperate fight they were finally victorious but Schaenya found her untimely demise in that cursed chamber. Enemy reinforcements were already gathering at the entrance, the siblings were trapped. Their eldest sister, Silanea came to the rescue by repairing a broken ancient portal on the back wall of the chamber.

The siblings stepped through the portal at the last minute and they were once again safe - or so it seemed. Either Silanea made a mistake or the enemy managed to somehow corrupt their ethereal travel. Zara watched her sisters and brothers drift away mid-travel in what seemed like an arcane storm and that was the last time she ever saw them.

She found herself on a gloomy land. The surface world turned out to be just as ugly as she always imagined it to be. She desperately searched for her siblings to no avail. What's worse, the whole region seemed to be surrounded by thick poisonous fog in every direction. Knowing well that her kind was not welcomed on the surface she disguised her appearance with her magic and started to ask around. She found no trace of her siblings but she heard more and more rumors about a powerful figure, a certain Count Zarovich, the lord of this domain. Not seeing another way, she decided to pay the count a visit.

Even after so many years have passed she still shudders thinking back to her audacity to directly face the Dark Lord to demand his help. She morphed her body into that of a tiny bat and flew right into castle Ravenloft through a broken window. She carefully sneaked through stone corridors and empty halls not knowing that Strahd had been observing her approach long before she even neared his residence. At first he was furious that another vampire dares to enter his castle uninvited. But he quickly learned that even though Zara was just as well a creature of darkness, she was of a different kind. He found that amusing. Her pitiful attempts at using her magic on him were... disheartening, however Strahd was fascinated by her uncommon presence enough that he decided to keep her.

The Dark Lord was unaffected by her strongest spells, she couldn't cause as much as a bruise. And then suddenly she was unable to move. She felt his fangs dig into her neck. "That is gross." - was her last thought in her life.

And then her unlife began. In the first few years Zara often pondered whether she was given or taken away from. On the one hand she became immortal! And she was more powerful than ever. People would tremble by the mention of her name. But on the other hand she was just another slave in Strahd's grasp. And she was, well... no longer alive. The first one annoyed her on a mental level. She would make plans to overcome her bond someday and make her escape. But the second one, her condition, was disturbing in a much deeper way. She couldn't quite put it into words. What was the difference after all? She could still walk and talk and sense and cast spells. Darkness had always been her domain. Then why? What did it matter? She never thought about having children anyway. Still her elven mind just couldn't embrace undeath.

Interestingly she got used to feeding quite easily. She even enjoyed it in a way. But she started to miss the graceful architecture and elegant design of everyday objects around her. Missions gave her a peace of mind. The more difficult the better. She loved the opportunity to exercise her growing powers. And it occupied her mind.
Her musings became more philosophical. Did she still have a soul? Would Lolth still embrace her in the afterlife?

As decades passed even her long living elven self got a taste of eternity. Her plans, her questions, her desires faded away as she slowly gave in. In the end nothing remained just the thirst for blood and the drive to fulfill her master's will.

RP sample 1: a long faded memory from Zara's past (link to actual game post)

Last edited by Daendil; Sep 9th, 2021 at 08:23 PM.
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 02:32 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 970
Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer
Rune
right-aligned image
Name: Rune
Race: Elf
Class: Rogue
Background: Criminal
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Personality Traits:
1) I was a thrillseeker. I lived life as close to the edge as I could manage.
2) Impulsiveness. I would act first without thinking about the consequences of my actions.
Ideal: Rules are made to be broken.
Bond: My bond is my companion. As I caused her death I seek to make amends for what I have done.
Flaw: I am world-weary. I have seen enough to know that nothing is ever truly new: the same events and so-called passions are merely replayed again and again, with only the faces and names shifting as the many, many years go by.

AppearanceThe pale, death-lidded skin of Rune is distinctive when offset by twin orbs of glowing red. There is no denying the pall of undeath that had come to take hold of him over these long centuries. Rune carries a pendant attached to a chain around his neck. Where the stone came from he does not speak of, yet it is something that appears to be quite important to him. Yet, the most striking thing about Rune's features is the strange tattoo that encircles his left eye. What this tattoo is and what it signifies is again something that Rune does not discuss. In general, Rune tends to wear dark, loosely fitting clothes and armour when he can. Being someone who is at most ease when he is blending in with the shadows and prefers to be unseen, Rune places more significance on clothing that will afford him this than cumbersome, metal armour.

When Rune speaks, it is generally with a sardonic and sarcastic tone of voice. He tends to mock his opponents and trade barbed insults as he weaves in and out among them, dealing death both at close range or from a distance, depending on what his preference is for that particular moment. In fact, it is likely the rogue's sardonic nature that made Strahd take him for a servant -- even in the face of death Rune displayed no fear or trepidation over what was to come.

Personality
You ask me who I am? You who would compel me to ride in your name? You may be the entity that holds my reins, but I will never truly call you master.

Once Rune went by another name, however as undeath claimed him and as the passage of time drifted from days into weeks into years into centuries that name was lost in his own mind. Truthfully there may be one other who still knows his true name, but it is also a name that she will not utter. In death, as in life, when one chooses to cast the shroud of the person you once were behind you, that person is truly forever lost and there is nothing that can be done to bring them back. In life Rune was a dangerous man. A thrillseeker and hedonist that would take on any challenge no matter how dangerous that challenge was, there was nothing that he would not do to indulge his passions. If one were to look deeper into Rune's psyche, they would have recognised that his dangerous tendencies hid his own emotional barrenness. That inside, he felt nothing...nothing at all. That he felt the need to push the boundaries as far as he could take them was a dangerous masquerade.

In the doing, in the action and pushing himself to his very limits perhaps he could feel something inside of him. Something other than the interminable emptiness that swallowed him whole. Perhaps in doing so he could feel whole once more.

He never did, not even the day he died.

In undeath, Rune has changed to a certain degree. Although he is possessed perhaps of a certain overconfidence in his own powers and abilities, and he is certainly not shy to take risks that others would deem unacceptable, there is another aspect of his personality that has manifested itself over the centuries.

Rune is tired now. He is tired of this interminable existence. The nights, where once they held a certain degree of beauty to the being who once, despite everything, held a kernel of kindness deep within his soul....they are now nothing to him. One night bleeds into another, until each one becomes nothing other than a blur. A cacophony of faceless, shapeless images that have long since ceased to hold any meaning to him. Although he is bound to do his master's bidding, Rune secretly desires the freedom to walk into the morning sun. To view the dawn one last time even though it will cost him his otherwise immortal life. For what is immortality if it does not hold any meaning or relevance to you any more?

Yet irrespective of all this, there is one chink in Rune's otherwise impenetrable armour. One weakness in his scarred psyche that takes the form of the bond that he has taken on for the remainder of his eternal presence. In life there was one other, a kindred soul that amidst all the chaos of his existence that he chose to call friend. Around her presence, the worst of Rune's excesses were curbed and he was allowed to feel the smallest slivers of feeling and with it, humanity. For a time, there was even perhaps hope that this other would rein in the self-destructive cycle and tendencies that Rune had become trapped in....at least until Rune inadvertently caused both of their deaths. Now, in undeath, with centuries to reflect, for this...for her fate, Rune feels remorse. That she is bound to Strahd even as much as he is makes everything worse. Being around her....as much as it serves as a balm to the worst parts of himself, it is also a persistent and painful wound that will never ever fade. Even as their presence brings him a small modicum of humanity, it equally serves as a terrible knife to the gut.

Perhaps in his own death he can set things right? Perhaps he can free her from servitude and do one last thing of goodness as his final act?

BackstoryThere is very little known about Rune's early life. What can be surmised from the small snippets that he has said in passing is that he was born to a noble elven family on the island of Evermeet. At a period between his adolescence and adult life, Rune committed some form of atrocity that led to his banishment from his home, and indeed the island as a whole. Whatever this act that was committed, Rune has never spoken of and likely never will. Rune journeyed for a while, coming to the Sword Coast first and then travelling onwards to the Moonsea region, where eventually he came to Zhentil Keep. Hiring himself out as a blade, assassin and cutpurse, the elf found that that line of work came quite easily for him, and that there was a lot of profit to be made from the mercenary lifestyle. Generally though, Rune tended to work alone, for he had found a love for the sort of lifestyle that thrill-seekers sought, either that or he just generally had a death wish. Either way, during his commissions, Rune found himself taking dangerous and unnecessary risks, not because he had to do them, but because he wanted to take them. Yet he was successful, and he did not succumb to the dangers he put himself through even as he sought death as one would greet an old friend.

It was Rune's hedonistic lifestyle and desire to push things to the boundaries between life and death that made him work alone. Inwardly, he knew that he had no right to destroy someone else in the way that he was hell-bent on destroying his own life. The vow he made to himself he kept...for a time.

Eventually, Rune tired of the life that he was leading in Zhentil Keep and he set out for pastures anew. On the road Rune became accustomed to a new lifestyle, that of a wanderer and an adventurer. One where he did not have to depend on anyone else but his own wit and skill with a blade and bow in order to survive. It was an exhilirating experience, even if it did not fill up the interminable emptiness that was inside him that spurred him to push himself on to acts of greater daring and greater danger. It was when he came to Waterdeep though that Rune threw away his principles and formed a team with another companion. For the coming days, he would spend a lot of time lost in introspection, asking himself why he had cast aside his principles in the way that it had. The answer to that conundrum was both simple and also exceedingly complex at the same time.

He was lonely, and as much as he deserved the moniker of dark elf for his exile from Evermeet, Rune still desired friendship and companionship.

And certainly, in those days of living as a con-artist duo who worked together to fleece the nobles of Waterdeep from their valuable belongings, there was a simplicity and genuine camaraderie between the two of them that Rune had never known before, indeed it was something truly alien to him, this thing that others took for granted called friendship. It was something he came to realise that he quite enjoyed, and those times he holds in his memories even now as something truly precious, even having seen the roll of centuries pass by in a seemingly neverending shroud of darkness. In time, he would come to realise that these were the happiest moments of his life, that he would ever experience. All things must inevitably come to an end though, and even as it began, Rune was unwittingly setting into motion a series of events that would lead to tragedy and his eternal damnation.

Now in hand,
a choice ahead.
Buried in sand.
Once blessed, now dead.

Of course, one day, he pushed things too far. Rune had a bad feeling about the job the day he accepted it. Something felt....wrong about the commission and the person he had taken it off. But he didn't care, he fully trusted in his own skills and the skills of his associate to pull the job off. In his past though, Rune had left behind him a long line of enemies. One of them, unbeknownst to him, belonged to a sect of travellers known as Vistani, and as recompense for the crimes he had committed, Rune's soul had been promised for eternal servitude to the vampire count known as Strahd von Zarovich. He never questioned the choice of meeting place, strange as it was to meet his employer in the dangerous sewers beneath Waterdeep. Nor did he question the strange and unnatural looking mist that seeped into the sewers to surround him and his companion, swirling around them and obscuring the world beneath ethereal tendrils of grey.

It was only when the mist lifted, and death greeted both him and his companion beneath Strahd's embrace that he came to fully understand the depths of his folly and the realisation that the past he so wanted to leave behind him was never ever truly going to let him go free....

Centuries have passed, and in all of those years, Rune has only known service beneath the bonds of his master, the Vampire Lord of Barovia. As an agent of Strahd, Rune still rides alongside his companion of old, although he does so now on a nightmare steed of black with fiery red eyes. In some strange way, Rune still holds an echo of the life he once had and the person he once was. Underneath his merciless fury, he is still beholden to his companion, for he feels remorse that her own end and servitude was tied up within his. It is something that even now, despite everything that has passed, Rune still feels that he possesses the ability to fix the mistakes he has made, to put right the things he has gotten wrong. That friendship and companionship of old he still holds onto in the dying embers of his heart and soul, it is, simply put, the last vestige of humanity that still dwells within him. And it will be his last act, to correct the wrong he has done her.

RP SampleThe candlelight flickered under the slight breeze that permeated the chamber they stood in. The dark-clothed individual stalked across the room slowly. As he flicked his head towards the chamber’s occupant, the man that knelt there with his hands bound in front of him, he cast his baleful gaze of ruby red over the restrained individual.

”You do not value the life you have been given then? Foolish foolish man to not treasure what you have been given.”

Silver-white hair fell freely to Rune’s neck as he stepped up to the man. Reaching out, a pale hand with slender fingers cupped the man’s chin, drawing his gaze up level with Rune’s own.

“Mortality is wasted on those who have it,” the tone of Rune’s voice was not loud, it didn’t have to be. The elf was softly spoken, yet his words carried with them an aura and gravitas that louder individuals simply did not have.

Rune stepped away, and as a strange light danced in his eyes the corners of his mouth twitched upwards in the slightest beginning of a mirthless smile.

”At the very least you understand what it is you have done, no?” his words were faintly accented, giving them an almost exotic sounding lilt.

Rune drew the slender blade from the scabbard attached to his waist. A soft metallic hiss echoed around the chamber, and the keenly honed edge of the blade reflected the candle light as Rune held it in his hand.

“Sir…sir….please, have mercy!” the portly man begged as sweat beaded on his brow.

Turning to face him once more, Rune stepped forwards, his booted footsteps echoing in the otherwise quiet room.

”You’ve offended the wrong person my good man.”

The tip of his blade hooked underneath the golden chain that the captive man wore around his neck.

“Shiny,” a slow smirk crossed Rune’s strangely porcelain features as he jerked the blade back, snapping the chain. As it fell he scooped it up in his hands.

“You people should know by now that you don’t….ever…..piss the Count off.”

Rune turned his back on the sweating man.

“Sir…I’m….I’m….”

Rune moved with a blur of motion, spinning back round as he drove the tip of his blade through the man’s neck. The words died on his throat as he breathed his last. With an equally swift, smooth movement, Rune withdrew the edge of his sword, stained red with blood. He held the weapon up level with his eyes as he closed them, sniffing the crimson rivulets as they dripped from the side of the metal, falling to the floor in a drip-drip-drip.

”……sorry?” he finished for the dead man, who now stared at Rune with wide, sightless eyes. The body slumped backwards bonelessly to the cold stone floor.

“Your type are always sorry when the reaper comes calling. It never changes.”

Rune sheathed his blade again as he stepped slowly towards the door. Before he left the room, he took one last look behind him.

”It never will.”

The door slammed shut behind him.

Last edited by Chaucer; Aug 31st, 2021 at 02:35 PM.
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 04:04 PM
Lone Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6170
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
Is this before, during, or after the events of the 5th ed adventure curse of strahd? I'd like to have my character a native of volaki during its all will be well period
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 04:58 PM
Hideous Hunchback

Tools
User Statistics
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
The 5e adventure I would think is ongoing since there are several different hooks that can take adventures into barovia. Your character will be one of the hapless adventurers that survived the adventure but got turned into one of Strahd's loyal knights instead of defeating the lord.
I wouldn't see why you couldn't be a volakian that joined an adventuring party part way through

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; Aug 31st, 2021 at 04:59 PM.
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 05:12 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 197
Zangul Zangul
Can we use the phantom rogue subclass from Tasha's?
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 05:18 PM
Hideous Hunchback

Tools
User Statistics
@Zangul: I don't have Tasha's, but if you send me a link, I can take a look at it and give you an opinion.
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 05:31 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Zangul Zangul
@Hal Hammerhand https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8u5boudfm...rs%29.pdf?dl=0

It should be on page 63

Last edited by Zangul; Aug 31st, 2021 at 05:40 PM.
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 07:05 PM
Hideous Hunchback

Tools
User Statistics
@Zangul: I suppose this Phantom rogue might fit in well in the campaign. Write me a convincing backstory.
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 07:44 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Zangul Zangul
You got it. I'll work on when I get off of work.
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 08:58 PM
Lone Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6170
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
Thanks, but i think I came up with a better idea. Ill see if I can get it up after work