RPXP: 197
Zangul Zangul
right-aligned image
Uur'lok
NAME:Uur'lok
RACE:Goblin
CLASS:Rogue (Phantom)
BACKGROUND:Criminal
PERSONALITY TRAITS:1) The first thing I do when I enter a new room is notice where the valuable things are or could be hidden 2) I am always calm no matter the situation, I don't raise my voice or let my emotions control me.
IDEALS:I am loyal to my friends.
BOND:Eric Goodspell saved me from the brink of death I owe him my life.
Flaw: I have a gambling and drinking addiction.

APPEARANCE:Urr'lok is 3' and 65lbs. He has mint green skin with yellow eyes. He has black hair and facial hair. He sports short goatee. He wears clothes that are above his wealth. For a goblin he looks clean and tries not to look or act like a stereotypical goblin.

PERSONALITY:Uur'lok is a people person, he in gages into conversation mainly to use it as a distraction so he can pickpocket his mark, he likes to laugh and tell jokes. Now when it comes down to business Uur'lok knows to be serious. His moto is work hard play hard. Even if working hard is planning a heist or burglary.

Uur'lok Eric Goodspell Uur'lok thoughts
BACKSTORY: Uur'lok crouched be the chimney of the store looking over to the mansion that houses The Blood Crystal. The Blood Crystal was a dark red Ruby rumored to be worth 5000 gold. Uur'lok If I can get my hands on the Blood Crystal, I could be famous. All the thieves guilds would want to have me apart of their operation. the mansion has a few guards at the front door. 1 guard on each balcony, and two guards posted on the outside patrolling the perimeter. Uur'lok stayed put, counting and making mental notes of what the guards are doing, he did this for several nights until he thought it would be a good night to try and break in. On this night Uur'lok is in the ally in between the store, and local watering hole. The perimeter guards just made it to the back of the mansion, I have to the count of 50 to make to the bushes under the first balcony. 1 2 3......15 16 Uur'lok throws a pebble off to the side when the guard runs to the opposite. Uur'lok quietly makes his way to the balcony and swiftly sneaks into the door leading in. Inside the study (library) he begins examining the busts and books on the shelves to see if a hidden button or a hidden door could be revealed. After a few agonizing minutes, one of the books as he pulls one triggers a mechanism that opens a trapdoor on the floor and the rug falls all the way down.jackpot he slowly makes his way to the hole in the floor, looks down and sees a ladder. Gets on the ladder and makes his way down. Once down he finds himself in a cellar all long the walls is armor and weapons, a desk with a log book, a large gold and wood chest in the center. all this stuff, must stay focused. no traps on the chest, he unravels the thieves tools and gets out the lock pick. easy peasy *click* the lock opens, he then lifts the lid to the chest and inside is a note, the Blood Crystal, and a bloody dagger. Uur'lok Grabs the note and Blood Crystal, but leaves the bloody dagger. Goes to the desk takes the log book and a pouch of coins. He makes his way up the ladder into the study, makes his way to the door leading to the hallway. Goes to another door and finds him in a bedroom, goes to the window climbs down and into the bushes. The perimeter guards move past not noticing him. He goes out on to the street and walks to an alley. As soon as he gets a little ways down the alley, he feels a stab to the back and another, till he drops to the ground. Three men start searching his pockets and take his belongings and newly aquired things. The three men disappear into the darkness. Left for dead Uur'lok crawls out of the alley and on the streets and loses consciousness. A man named Eric Goodspell Picks me up and brings me to his place and heals me up. But, during all the healing, I keep hearing voices saying help me, help me, help us. It's sounds just like wailing whispers. As I sit up, I realize I am alive. "Good you're awake, my name is Eric Goodspell I am clergyman. Domain of the Grave. I help those who are on the brink of death." "Is it natural to hear spirits after being healed?" "You have been chosen, you now walk a thin line between the living and the dead. Of course with this it is your choice on what you do with it. I help ease the living into accepting death, while I help those who are not quite ready to accept death or have more to live for. I found you and saw the stab wounds on your back and knew your life was cut short so I helped you." "Well then looks like you have a a partner, I will help the spirits who call upon me, but I will also seek out those who are deserving of death, like an executioner at the gallows." Over the years Eric and Uur'lok made a name for themselves as deaths messanger. Those seek a peaceful death would get it from Eric, and those wanted dead would find it at the mercy of Uur'lok. One night Eric was walking from the tavern back to the Inn that they were staying at, when a figure comes out of nowhere, and stands in his way. With one gaze at the figures eyes Eric feels compelled to do as instructed. The figure then moves in on Eric and bites his neck and drains his blood and drops the limp body. Uur'lok is in the room playing a game solitaire. When a familiar voice tell me to watch out for the Vampire. When I listened closely I realized that it was my friend and partner Eric who was now on the side of the dead. I went to sleep that night wondering why a vampire would want to kill Eric. The only thing I could come up with was that it needed to feed and just overindulged in his blood. So I voted to hunt this vampire down and bring it to it's end. Well, the next night I'm drinking and gambling. I then after a while to head back to the Inn my room is at. When this figure out of the dark appears before me, a whisper from the dead told me that's the vampire, so without hesitation draw my daggers, but in the long run no matter how good I was he was faster, stronger, and better. He got a hold of me dragged me close tilted my head and bit right into my neck, but this was a ritual feeling as he was enjoying this, there was no resistance. I try to pull away, it just didn't help. The next thing I know was I was out. When I woke up or came to I knew I was no longer In Lunsken. I came to learn of my new self, a servant of the lord Strahd.

Last edited by Zangul; Sep 5th, 2021 at 01:10 PM.
Old Sep 1st, 2021, 08:24 AM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3624
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
Some questions:
  • The bite and claws attacks from the template must use Str or can they also use Dex?
  • Does the once per day feeding kill the host, or do vampires keep "thralls" around for this purpose?
  • Since neither +1 armor nor +1 weapon is very useful for a sorcerer, could Zara get "Cloak of the Bat" instead if she gets into the game?
    If yes, I think it's thematic plus she did possess the item in her past life.
    If no, since it was drow-made I guess it simply disintegrated in the surface world - even in Ravenloft.
  • I'm not very well versed in Ravenloft lore (I'm a fan of the Castlevania cartoon series if that counts). Please let me know if Zara's "malfunctioning portal" arrival method is entirely unthinkable. I'll try to come up with something else then.
Old Sep 1st, 2021, 01:51 PM
Hideous Hunchback

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 974
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daendil View Post
Some questions:
  • The bite and claws attacks from the template must use Str or can they also use Dex?
  • Does the once per day feeding kill the host, or do vampires keep "thralls" around for this purpose?
  • Since neither +1 armor nor +1 weapon is very useful for a sorcerer, could Zara get "Cloak of the Bat" instead if she gets into the game?
    If yes, I think it's thematic plus she did possess the item in her past life.
    If no, since it was drow-made I guess it simply disintegrated in the surface world - even in Ravenloft.
  • I'm not very well versed in Ravenloft lore (I'm a fan of the Castlevania cartoon series if that counts). Please let me know if Zara's "malfunctioning portal" arrival method is entirely unthinkable. I'll try to come up with something else then.
1. Bite and claws are natural weapons therefore, yes, Dex or Str
2. You can certainly kill the host or not, depending on how your character decides to consume. Thrall-making is more ritualistic.
3. Yes, 1 magical item in place of the +1 items is fine depending on the choice of item. Okay it with me first. Cloak of the Bat is fine.
4. Malfunctioning portal is fine. There are many ways to accidentally find yourself stranded in Ravenloft.
Old Sep 1st, 2021, 03:09 PM
Lone Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6170
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
right-aligned image

Name: Snow Denius
Race: Half-elf
Class: Wizard/necromancer
Background: Sage
Alignment: lawful neutral
Personality trait:
1 I am quiet and keep to myself
2 i burn with a quiet smoldering anger that I fear will one day consume me.
Ideal: Vengeance. Those who wronged me must be punished
Bond: I sold my soul for knowledge. I hope to do great deeds with it and win it back
Flaw: My hatred blinds me and causes me to make unwise choices

Appearance: Snow is an albino with white skin, long white hair, and red eyes. I wear leather armor decorated with bones and carry a hand scythe. I am tall, six foot one, but very slender. I have a grim expression and rarely smile.

Personality: Snow is a quiet, reserved person who rarely smiles and almost never laughs. He is tunnel visioned on getting stronger to enact his revenge on his elven relatives and Is frustrated by anything that distracts him from furthering that goal. He is slow to trust new people, but once someone has proven themselves a friend to him, he is fiercely loyal to them.

Due to his extreme sense of loneliness and emptiness, Snow names and often speaks to his undead as if they were his friends. He get very upset when one of them is destroyed.

Backstory:
Snow’s elven mother Tityanna Torsonna was from a tribe of elves who were extreme isolationists, xenophobes, and down right racist against all other races, especially humans. They lived in the cold north and survived mostly by hunting and fishing. Despite their hatred for the outside world, they did let a handful of merchants come to their frozen island to trade things that the snow elves couldn’t get themselves such as metal, fruits, and vegetables. Snows Father, Cairn Denius was one such merchant. His parents met and found each other enticingly exotic, and became lovers. When Tityanna discovered she was pregnant, she eloped with Cairn and fled her people, for they would murder her for laying with a human, and the child for being an abomination that tainted their pure bloodline.

The pair settled in a coastal village where Tityanna fished, and Cairn continued his work as a merchant. They made good money and lived comfortably. Unfortunately, Snow had a much harder time of it. being not only an elf, but an albino, he was treated as a pariah by the other villagers and made few friends. This made him grow into a sad, lonely introvert.

Then they came.

The snow elves arrived in the village having head rumors of one of their kind living there. They threatened to kill everyone in the village if they didn’t hand her over. To save the villagers, and Snow and her husband, Tityanna surrendered herself and was taken away. she told Snow and Cairn not to worry, that she would talk things over with her father. Even Snow knew this was a lie to make them feel better. His mother had often told him of how wicked her people were. she always told him to hide if he ever saw one, for they would kill him on sight.

Two weeks later, the elves returned. Cairn’s father went to meet with them, hoping desperately that his wife was with them, and she was…some of her anyway.

In his grief stricken anger, Cairn attacked the elves and was swiftly cut down, leaving Snow an orphan.

Snow watched the scene play out while hiding. He saw the sneering grins on the snow elves’ faces, and it lit a flame of hatred in him that never went out. He swore revenge against the snow elves. He would make them pay. He would wipe their race from existence for what they had done.

He took his inheritance and enrolled in a mages college to study magic. Like his mother, he had an affinity for magic, but there was one school he was especially proficient at, and fittingly enough it was the very school he most wanted to learn, for among his mothers stories of the snow elves, she had told him that there was one school of magic they hated. Necromancy.

Snow knew that to wipe out an entire race, he would need an army. Being not only a commoner, but a halfbreed who was not wealthy, there was no way for Snow to get an army of the living, but an army of the dead was doable.

After graduating from the college, Snow spent years as an adventurer gaining experience, wealth, and most importantly, bodies. Then he heard of a realm called Barovia where a powerful vampire ruled. In Snow’s arrogance he thought that he could control the undead lord to bolster his forces. Instead he was defeated and turned into an undead himself. How ironic, he sought to turn Strahd into his servant, and now it was Snow who served him.

Last edited by Togot; Sep 6th, 2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 01:30 PM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
My application is complete. Please tell me if anything is missing.

Btw, are metamatic options / spells newly put on sorcerers' list from Tasha's available?
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 03:28 PM
Hideous Hunchback

Tools
User Statistics
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
@Daendil: what in particular are you looking to use?
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 05:48 PM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
Undecided yet.
It's just to know whether I should consider them or not.
Primarily "Transmuted Spell" metamagic, and "Fire Shield" spell, (maybe "Bigby's Hand" spell).
It's probably a premature concern anyway.
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 06:30 PM
Hideous Hunchback

Tools
User Statistics
Daendil: Yeah, I think those are fine. If it comes to incorporating them into your application, go ahead. I could see how knowing what your character can do is useful.
Old Sep 5th, 2021, 01:21 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 197
Zangul Zangul
@Hal Hammerhand I believe my app is complete. Thank you for your time.
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 12:49 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1365
Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod
application
right-aligned image

Name: Sir Ulric Bathion
Race: Variant Human
Class: Warlock - Hexblade
Background: Knight of the order or soldier

Personality:
Ulric is refined, condescending, sauve, swift and swollen of self right. His elitism oozing from his every speak and gesture. Even before his vampiristic career, Ulric knew himself to be better and of higher stock than most others.
His most bolsterous skill being of that with blade, where he has an insatiable appetite for claiming death.
Ulric has leaned into his vampirism fully, believing to be the alpha in all cases. More powerful, smarter and stronger than his opponents. Even his tolerance for Strahd is fleeting. Ulric cares little of the rules of man. He partakes, eats and kills all when he wants.

Description:
Ulric is a handsome, yet frail looking man with sunken cheek bones and no facial hair. He is tall, around 6’2” slender and petite. His long platinum blonde hair hangs loose at his back.
His body is covered entirely in dark black and grey plate armor. This particular armor looks of skulls and bones, woven together with unique metals and shifting as one at any given time. Perhaps an illusion, perhaps metallurgical magic, only Ulric knows.
His body brandishes no Weapons that can be seen but in battle he is known to wield the magical blade Valor (va-loor) which manifests from nowhere at command.
Overall Ulric is a ghastly and menacing presence.

Old age:
Ulric was an orphaned child turned stable boy, squire, knight and lastly a decorated member of the silver dragons. When strahds legions came, Ulric put up a valiant fight. Though meaningless, his attempts at survival via blade swooed the dark lord to instead of instant death, created Ulric into a weapon of purpose.

Ulric has been an obedient servant to lord Strahd for several hundred years, doing his bidding, in acting his wishes and claiming his rewards. Ulric is mostly known as a weapon of destruction, both animalistic and with blade. His skill un matched in both categories.

As The years went on Ulrics loyalty and behaviours changed. He became less willing to his lord and more so of himself. His patience faded and his curiosity peaked. He now seeks powers and magic in which might topple the dark lord, searching in silence for the relics to aid in his conquest.

Ulric receives bountiful power from the sources of the shadow fell. In particular he doesn’t know exactly which entity, just that he belongs to strange and innate connection that allows him to do things others can’t. Unique enough to his situation, he has noticed his powers fluctuate, coinciding directly with the amount of death he bares witness or executed.

Links
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...42#post8185042

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...83#post8356783

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...25#post8486025

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...44#post9193144

Last edited by Jrod; Sep 10th, 2021 at 12:02 AM.
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 06:16 AM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
Some more questions to bother you with, dear DM (sorry):
  • Where do the knights (un)live? I remember reading somewhere in this thread that they live in barracks. Are those barracks within the castle walls? Who else lives there? Or do the knights have their own place (some ruined, deserted building further away perhaps)?
    Zara would hate to spend eternity in a warren. Unless commanded to do so, she'd probably go out and find her own place.
  • Is there a blacksmith available (in the village?) to forge daggers, arrowheads, horseshoes, etc?
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 09:18 AM
Hideous Hunchback

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daendil View Post
Some more questions to bother you with, dear DM (sorry):
First of all, don't be sorry, There is no such thing as a dumb question.
  • Where do the knights (un)live? I remember reading somewhere in this thread that they live in barracks. Are those barracks within the castle walls? Who else lives there? Or do the knights have their own place (some ruined, deserted building further away perhaps)?
    Zara would hate to spend eternity in a warren. Unless commanded to do so, she'd probably go out and find her own place.

The Count affords his knights the barracks within the castle but that doesn't mean they have to stay there. They can 'live' wherever they please in the realm as long as they come when he calls them.

• Is there a blacksmith available (in the village?) to forge daggers, arrowheads, horseshoes, etc?
In the village of Barovia, most of the villagers live in fear of the Count and his knights. But in this case, I would say that a group of minor thralls of the Count live in the castle to tend to horses needs and repair any gear that the knights request fixed, except for the Nightmare's since they are magical beasts and don't need to be shod. You're not going to find any master-crafted elven blades coming out of a Barovian blacksmith shop.

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; Sep 6th, 2021 at 09:19 AM.
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 02:06 PM
Chocolate Chips

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8413
In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix
left-aligned image

Name: Felicity/Illissa Bikoitza
Explanation of the sistersThey are symbiotic twins, born into one body. They share the one mind, though their memories are not completely shared. Thank goodness. The only part of their body that makes it obvious that there are in fact two of them is that they have two hearts. Other than that, from the outside, they look to be only one person.

Race: Human

Class: Fighter (5)/Cleric (5)

Background: Criminal

Illissa
Personality trait: Nothing can shake my optimistic attitude.
Ideal: {Redemption} Thereís a spark of good in everyone.
Bond: Someone I loved died because of a mistake I made. That will never happen again.
Flaw: I sacrificed my friends for the woman I loved.

Felicity
Personality trait: Thinking is for others, I prefer to act intuitively.
Ideal: {People} Iím loyal to my friends, not to any ideals, and everyone else can take a trip down the Styx for all I care.
Bond: Iím guilty of a terrible crime. I hope I can redeem myself for it.
Flaw: I was willing to betray my own sister, so that I may live.

Personality: Illissa was friendly and loving. She wanted nothing more than to protect those she loved, including her sister for whom she still loves and has been fighting to bring back from the darkness.

Felicity was always more of a chaotic soul. And while she never looked for any one love, she always gave her all to whoever she was with. She also created deep bonds with her companions, which was why it was so easy for Strahd to manipulate her to seeing his point of view.

Appearance: The twins are about 5'8", with a slim but muscular body under their armor. They have long red hair that Felicity loves to wind around her neck, much like a scarf. They have very pale skin, with a light sprinkling of freckles that run from her cheeks down her neck, culminating at the top of her chest. Their green eyes look haunted as they stare out of the darkened hollows of their sockets.

Backstory: Illissa was born to a dying single mother, who's name the village did not know. The woman had appeared sometime during the night during a cold winter storm. Frozen, bloody, and barely sustaining her own life, she was too weak to give birth to the child within her womb. The young village healer, Jamison, did what he could to make the expectant mother comfortable, but as it was he had run out of the essential herbs that would help dull her pain during childbirth, and she was dying. A decision was made by the village, that although the mother could not be saved, the child could possibly be. So it was decided that Elrik the Butcher would be asked to slice the mother open, so that the child could be retrieved, and that is how Illissa was brought into this world. One particularly peculiar thing Jamison thought he noticed was that the child seemed to have two heartbeats. But he dismissed it as his tired imaginings.

Jamison adopted Illissa, and brought her up teaching her of healing techniques. This made him an even more popular bachelor, and the young women of the village gave him a lot of attention, much to the chagrin of the other young men. But eventually one in particular won his heart, and baby Illissa had a new mommy, Kelsi the shipwright's daughter. For the first few years, Illissa seemed like a normal child, making friends and playing. In her 7th year, things changed after she developed an imaginary friend, Felicity. This imaginary friend would get Illissa in trouble with the other children. She made Illissa reckless, climbing tall trees, jumping off tall cliffs into deep water, and starting fights with older children.

But the worse came when Illissa was fifteen and was caught stealing from a traveling vendor. Illissa tried blaming it on Felicity, but even Jamison had grown tired of Illissa's excuses. As punishment, Illissa's adoptive parents agreed to indenture the young girl to the salesman for three years, after which she would be freed to do as she pleased. The reason they agreed to this was that the vendor was known to them. He had been coming to their little village three to four times a year, a trade route he had inherited from his father, who had inherited it from his father before him. Also, he had shown great interest in the child at a young age, giving her and her friends candy whenever he came to town. He was trusted by most everyone in the village, and none disagreed with this punishment, hoping that it would teach the girl respect.

Once well outside of the village, the first lesson Tradesman Versichi taught Illissa was that he was her Master, and that she needed to obey him, in everything. It took him longer than he had thought it would, but eventually he broke the girl. Felicity eventually became his partner in crime, learning his true trade: stealing from the rich, and giving to himself. His visits to the villagers, far from the cities from which he committed his crimes, was how he got rid of the evidence. Selling and trading for cheap that which he stole for nothing.

But nothing good lasts forever, and he made an error in judgment when he tried stealing from a lone monk. As Felicity held the man at sword point, Illissa took over, finally having enough of Versichi's vile ownership of her and her sister. She turned the weapon on Versichi, and demanded he give himself up. Enraged that his pet had dared turn against him, the thief slipped past her shaky outstretched arm, and backhanded her across the face, sending her to the ground. Rage filled Felicity's mind, and she killed the man she had served for the past five years.

Bowing to, and placing her weapon at the cleric's feet, Illissa and Felicity turned themselves in, vowing to make restitution, if he would help them. The pious man agreed, and for a year and some days the twins began their journey of retribution. The fight to redeem them of their past sins took them to to Strahd von Zarovich's realm, where they joined seven others in the fight against the dark master of Ravenloft. While there, Illissa fell in love with one of her companions, a young wizard named Yara. It was a difficult relationship, as Yara had to contend with the jealous Felicity often causing trouble, or taking over at inappropriate times.

As soon as that awkwardness was resolved though, another more troubling problem occurred. Strahd began taking a personal interest in the twins, as they reminded him of his beloved Tatyana. He intentionally kept the wizard alive, using her to bait Illissa into making mistakes that allowed him and his minions to kill off the group, one at a time. This overprotectiveness on Illissa's part created a war between the sisters and leaving them vulnerable. And after the last of their friends fell dead, Felicity finally had had enough, and reclaimed the body once and for all, pushing Illissa down into a darkness for which it would take years to escape... one hundred years. Felicity, now fully under Strahd's control, killed Yara while smiling at her with Illissa's face.

RP Sample: A post from a game called Pale Stones and Dark Gods:

Old Sep 6th, 2021, 04:00 PM
Lone Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6170
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
RP sample added
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 04:40 PM
Hideous Hunchback

Tools
User Statistics
@Togot: Your RP sample is from a private thread.