twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2020, 12:43 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2033
Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter
Oh dear, that makes it a little hard to read up on the rules! I guess they're only available in a physical format, then? That's a bit odd!

But that said, looking through the careers... I am absolutely gobsmacked that they have shipwright as a class! Now I'm doubly curious to try the system, that would be perfect for my little Mirabelle; I imagine that going Shipwright doesn't mean she isn't familiar with other things (I'd think she'd still be able to use Mechanics skill for other things,) just that that's her specialization? Sooo, err. How would I go about creating a character, without any prior experience with the game? I'm seeing things like Obligation, Duty, Morality... Again, hard without something to read from!
Old Dec 24th, 2020, 02:39 AM
I'm Super! thx for asking

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2045
Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdant Glitter View Post
Oh dear, that makes it a little hard to read up on the rules! I guess they're only available in a physical format, then? That's a bit odd!

But that said, looking through the careers... I am absolutely gobsmacked that they have shipwright as a class! Now I'm doubly curious to try the system, that would be perfect for my little Mirabelle; I imagine that going Shipwright doesn't mean she isn't familiar with other things (I'd think she'd still be able to use Mechanics skill for other things,) just that that's her specialization? Sooo, err. How would I go about creating a character, without any prior experience with the game? I'm seeing things like Obligation, Duty, Morality... Again, hard without something to read from!
You can have more than one specialization in the game, so you can branch out to other careers to steal their specializations for your characters benefit (you can only have one career, your starting career, which matters for XP costs).

Anyone can put ranks into all of the skills, but career skills will cost you less to increase.

In regards to using Mechanics - Yes! you can use the skill for multiple types of checks, but the Shipwright specialization would focus on making Mechanics check on starships be more effective.

EDIT: In regards to making a character, myself or P47Thunderbolt could guide you through it. You might still need to find a rulebook eventually though.

Last edited by Superstrength79; Dec 24th, 2020 at 02:52 AM.
Old Dec 24th, 2020, 10:46 AM
Sentient Fighter Plane

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 430
P47Thunderbolt P47Thunderbolt P47Thunderbolt P47Thunderbolt P47Thunderbolt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstrength79 View Post
EDIT: In regards to making a character, myself or P47Thunderbolt could guide you through it. You might still need to find a rulebook eventually though.
I have a lot of experience guiding new (either to the game or RPGs as a whole) players through Character Creation and would be happy to help. :)

A note about Shipwright: Fully Operational, the supplement that has Shipwright, has ship crafting rules and the Shipwright is intended to be good at crafting ships. However, the ship crafting rules are pretty terrible and completely broken for anything past a starfighter, minorly broken for anything smaller.

That said, its talents are generally applicable and it works well as a ship's mechanic with an eye towards crafting other items. If ship crafting is something you both want to pursue, I can link a fan made rewrite of the rules. I haven't looked it over myself though.

Another tree you might want to consider is Rigger, which allows the character to give all sorts of passive bonuses to a "Signature Vehicle." Increasing speed, handling, armor, etc.
Old Dec 24th, 2020, 12:38 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20667
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
@Superstrength79 - As long as the R7 is still an Astromech Droid, I'm fine with it, and it's name is 'Knesi', which is a Jawa female name - based on where she got it.
@P47Thunderbolt - I'll incorporate the background suggestions into her background, but as for the build, I'm still working on it. Once I'm happy with it, I'd love to get your input.
Old Dec 24th, 2020, 12:40 PM
Sentient Fighter Plane

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachenspirit View Post
@P47Thunderbolt - I'll incorporate the background suggestions into her background, but as for the build, I'm still working on it. Once I'm happy with it, I'd love to get your input.
Sounds good. I'll update Prok's info as well.
Old Dec 24th, 2020, 04:20 PM
Sentient Fighter Plane

Tools
User Statistics
@Drachenspirit, here's my write-up from Prok's perspective. What do you think? Which version (between double-asterisks) do you want to go with? Does the timing sound about right to you?

Quote:
A little over a year ago, he was tasked with breaking up a smuggling ring. His investigation led him to a smuggling run on Arkania. He lay in wait for the ship, a KST-100, and ambushed it. He got off a salvo with the ion cannons before the pilot had time to react, but the ship was resilient enough to shake it off and keep going. **As he chased the ship, he began to suspect that the pilot was intentionally letting him stay on the Kestrel's tail. Making a pretty convincing show of running for it, sure, but still allowing him to catch up. He managed to disable the ship, then docked and boarded in deep space. He took the smugglers captive without violence and then**
Or:
**The pilot was too good and the ship too nimble, and Prok wasn't able to catch up or disable it with the ion cannons, highlighting his need for additional crew, crew who are better at piloting and gunnery than he is. Even though the ship escaped his first attempt, he managed to track it after it landed. After a brief firefight, he captured all of the smugglers alive.**

(t)Through his interrogations of the prisoners, he discovered that the Zeltron pilot had been coerced into the job. She was already wanted in multiple smuggling jobs unconnected from this particular organization, but he sensed an opportunity here. When he went to talk to her, she tried to weasel her way out of it, charm him, or even persuade him with her pheromones, but, aided by his respirator, he kept up his stony exterior. However, he did offer her a chance at redemption: He would secure her a full pardon if she helped him in his investigation to take down the smuggling ring, piloting for him. Until her side of the bargain was fulfilled, her ship would remain impounded and she would be responsible for the storage fees so it wouldn't get auctioned off.

By now, they've been flying together for a while. With her help, Prok was able to bring down the organization. Even though her side of the deal is done, Prok wants to keep her around. She's an excellent pilot, and has shown good progress in turning over a new leaf, but he suspects that if she was cut loose she would likely turn back to smuggling to get her adrenaline fix.
Fortunately, she seems to feel the same about sticking around, possibly, he guesses, because there are still members of the organization who might be out to get her.
I have to think it over a little bit more, but I think I'm going to swap out the Autopilot Droid Brain for the Gunner Droid Brain, or maybe add some other 0 HP attachments instead.
Old Dec 25th, 2020, 05:30 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Exhausted exe
Theodule, Wandering Mystic
right-aligned image

Character Name: Theodule "Theo" Ashwannel
Species: Human
Career: Mystic
Specialization(s): Seer | Advisor
Motivation:
Help the Helpless: In a galaxy full of momentous events and desperate struggle, it is all too easy to forget the poor, the weak, and the downtrodden. Theodule seeks to give voice to the voiceless, and help those who cannot help themselves.
Morality: 50
Emotional Strength: Compassion
Theodule cares about the tribulations others face and wants to help those he comes across. His compassion may lead to self-sacrifice in order to aid those who need it.
Emotional Weakness: Sorrow
The galaxy is a big place, and with so many people suffering, it can overwhelm Theodule. How can a single person help anyone else when there is so much unhappiness? Theodule lets sorrow paralyze, or worse, affect their use of the Force.

Description: Theodule sports flowing brown hair, amber eyes with a small scar across his left given to him in his journeys, and a lean, athletic build. He generally wears simple, casual street clothes as well as a thermal cloak when in civilized areas. However, when exploring the wilds or generally uncivilized areas of the galaxy, he will wear armor plating over his clothes and under his cloak.

Height: 5'8"

Personality: Soft-spoken, caring, and having a natural tendency towards compassion, Theodule sports a heart of gold as well as a charming smile wherever his travels bring him. While Theodule is not ashamed of his aptitude with the Force, he is rarely open with sharing the fact he is capable of using it, as to avoid the ever-looming shadow of the Jedi and its philosophies.

Ideology: Not particularly subscribing to either the Jedi or Sith's teachings of the Force, neither believing in the rigid pacifism and emotional disconnection the Jedi preach, nor the unchecked passion and aggression the Sith advocate for. Instead believing simply that the Force was a cosmic energy that flowed through everything and everyone, connecting each person to their own destiny like a flowing river, believing you could either fight the flow of the current or allow yourself to be carried by it.

Background:
Theodule, a Dantooine native, was born to two loving parents who made a peaceful and modest living off farming and odd-jobs ranging from protecting farmland from would-be thieves to simple manual labor. Of the odd jobs, Theodule's Mother mostly kept to the more safe jobs while his Father, being ex-military, took on more perilous jobs. Theodule grew up being taught the importance of doing what was right, the value of forgiveness, and the duty of helping those who could not help themselves by his Mother. Taking all these things to heart, Theodule made it a point to be involved with any volunteer work that he could and offering a helping hand to those down on their luck should he come across them. Meanwhile, his Father taught him the basics of combat, both using a staff and a blaster, further bolstering the belief to protect the helpless in their times of need.

As he grew older, Theodule began to show the signs of Force Sensitivity, the signs were mostly subtle, until one day while reaching for something just beyond his grasp, it magically flew into his hand. After telling his parents, the pair decided to keep their son's abilities secret, not wanting him to be taken away by the Jedi. Even still, Theodule trained his mystical abilities to the best of his abilities, gaining the power to sense those around him, as well as move objects much better than his original fluke.

Around the age of 18, Theodule felt like he could do more for the galaxy outside of his home planet. Deciding it was time to journey to the distant stars, he told his plans to his parents who, after some convincing, pointed him to an old, retired, freighter captain who happened to be an old acquaintance of his Father. Getting on in his years, the old captain was willing to part with his Starlight-class Light Freighter and T7 Astromech droid, as well as teach the boy how to use it as a favor to his Father. After a year or so of training, Theodule was deemed capable of flying on his own, and thus gathering some supplies and saying goodbye to his friends and family, set out on a journey of self-discovery.

For the next 4 years, Theodule would become a Mystic-Wanderer of sorts, listening to the Force and roaming from planet to planet, assisting on the local level as best he could. If possible he would often visit ruins and religious sites in an effort to become more in-tune with the Force. In one such ruin on the planet of Voss, he happened upon a meditation focus in the form of a gleaming, blue, sphere. Bringing it back to his ship he decided to use it, hoping to become more tuned with the Force. Upon use, Theodule began to feel a nagging in the back of his that become stronger and stronger until it completely overtook his consciousness. In his consciousness's wake, he was given an undecipherable vision, only receiving brief and rapid glimpses, until the end, where he saw a bright planet, the heart of the Galaxy: Coruscant.

Starship: Starlight-Class Light Freighter "The Ace of Spades"

Credit Roll here

Character sheet including XP and Credit expenditure here

[About as finished as I'm going to get, lemme know if something needs changing!]

Last edited by Exhausted exe; Jan 4th, 2021 at 04:31 AM.
Old Dec 25th, 2020, 02:37 PM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Sindustry
Lithaniel Evermore

Character Name: Lithaniel Evermore (a.k.a., Broven Unthir, the Devil of Dantooine)
Species: Devaronian
Career: Colonist
Specialization(s): Performer
Motivation: Haunted by errors of his past, Lithaniel wants to be free from his reputation and right past wrongs.
Morality: N/A
Obligation: Debt. Disappearing isn't easy and it sure as hell ain't cheap. Lithaniel owes a Hutt for his fancy new identity.
Duty: N/A

Description: Unremarkable in most ways when compared to others of his species, Lithaniel appreciates the anonymity his mundane attributes give him.

Background: In his former life, when he was known by his birth name of Broven Unthir, Lithaniel rose quickly through the ranks of a local mine company on Dantooine. He rose too quickly, in fact. Due to his lack of true experience in Operations and his ignorance to appropriate safety protocols, the mine collapsed due to a reactor explosion from within.

Forty-seven. Forty-seven lives were lost due to his error. Forty-seven families ruined. If he had focused on learning his position instead of just driving the bottom line, he could have prevented the tragedy. But he was too eager to please the higher-ups who gave him such a prestigious position.

Unbeknownst to Lithaniel, his series of promotions were in fact a successful attempt to let the blame fall to him. The board maneuvered his advancement and pushed his focus to the bottom line to ensure it would be his head on the chopping block when the poorly maintained reactor inevitably exploded.

The colonists who lost loved ones in the collapse demanded retribution. Lithaniel knew that they were coming for blood, so he ran. He caught the next ship off of Dantooine and put as much distance between himself and the horror as he could. Unfortunately, the ghosts of that tragedy still follow him. And they're very poor company.

Lithaniel has been living this false life now for over twenty years. His life has become one big performance. "Lithaniel Evermore, of Evermore Industries. Pleasure to make your acquaintance. We specialize in acquisition, inspection and detection. We peddle goods and information. No job too big, no job too small."

XP Expenditures: TBD, but mostly focus on picking up social skills and talents that help navigate through people.
Link to character sheet: WIP. https://swsheets.com/c/fsicjn5zh-lithaniel-everm

Last edited by Sindustry; Dec 27th, 2020 at 11:18 PM.
Old Dec 25th, 2020, 05:07 PM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
twig
Interested! Writing application tonight.
Old Dec 25th, 2020, 05:21 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79
Add a few more example character ideas, just to point out that the broad range of careers and specializations could all have a place in the game.

Still advising against pure-combat builds.
Old Dec 25th, 2020, 06:42 PM
Sentient Fighter Plane

Tools
User Statistics
Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 25th, 2020, 07:06 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39842
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Moderator suggestion: If you are new to this site, please get your post count up to four ( before applying to any game) so you can "shed your yellow" new user status. This will help prevent any lengthy character application posts from being flagged for moderation. Thanks.

Last edited by zevonian; Dec 25th, 2020 at 07:07 PM.
Old Dec 26th, 2020, 03:25 AM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
twig
Hey, realizing now that while I have time for another pbp, I'm not sure I can balance it if it means using another platform on top of the other ones I use for pbp. Best of luck and have fun though.
Old Dec 26th, 2020, 11:04 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 161
Lightwielder Lightwielder
Hi to all, i wanna share my character project, the sheet can be considered a WIP

DEC1B-3L
Species:Gank / Career: Soldier
Specialization / Trees: Vanguard
Wounds Threshold: 12 / Current
Strain Threshold: 12 / Current
Defense Ranged: 1 Melee
Soak 1
Critical Injuries
Severity Result

Characteristics
Brawn 3 Agility 3 Intellect 2
Cunning 2 Willpower 3 Presence 2

Build: Slim / Hair: Black / Eyes : Green
Notable Features: Red face mask, cybernetick arm

Background
Not completely agreeing with the militaristic and violent lifestyle of his people and culture (due to having an odd peaceful and compassionate nature as a kid) he never enjoyed killing, but had to conform to fit in as he grew older, his attempts of using non lethal weapons sometimes, like sonic rifles, earned him his nickname, feeling guilt and fear of what makes them so frightening for many, the deal breaker came one day when, working as mercenaries, his pack was brutally ambushed by another mercenary gank pack, most of his companions were killed and those that survived were ostracized by their own people. Completely disappointed and with mixed feelings regarding his heritage he left his planet and started to do jobs for the republic, he was raised as a warrior and at least he can put his skills in service of a less brutal institution, a institution that is closely related with legacy of the Jedi, the guardians of peace that he used to hear legends about when he was a child. He would like ganks to be a little different but he needs to start by himself
Motivation Type Belief / Details Peace
Duty Type: Support / Magnitude: 5

Last edited by Lightwielder; Dec 26th, 2020 at 11:09 PM.
Old Dec 27th, 2020, 01:53 AM

Tools
User Statistics
New members to the forums, make sure you go over to the New Member Introductions thread and post a greeting for yourself. You'll need to have at least four posts under your belt before you can post on the forums without approval. Trying to just right into a game, needing approval still, isn't something you want.