RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Apr 26th, 2021, 01:41 PM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4978
Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach
The House of Ejlvajn

SEEKING REPLACEMENTS!
Game NameThe House of Ejlvajn
Game SystemPathfinder
ThemeAn adventuring group bound by fate and circumstance.
FlavourSemi-sandbox, Modules, Teen Heroes
Plot Summary
The House of Ejlvajn

Miscellaneous Adventures, Modules, and Teen Heroes

on Golarion

by June 1st (tentatively)

from Icereach

A Door
left-aligned image

Bare feet slapped the worn, dirty cobbles as the child sprinted down an alley. They didn't know where they were anymore; they'd gotten lost several turns ago. They were getting hungry, they were exhausted, and they hurt. The rough stone underfoot wasn't kind to their tender feet and the gash in their arm throbbed though it no longer bled. And none of that compared to the hurt they felt deep in their heart - the betrayal that sundered their childish world in two.

Their brain was a bundle of bright images. Mother in soft cloth that draped around her form. Father stern and eager. Something shiny that the child had seen a few times but never been allowed to touch. Then came the fire down the child's arm. The surprise on their parent's face that paled in comparison to the surprise in the child's heart. Finally, a blur of buildings and intersections sped by on terror's wings.

Now they were here. They froze. They stared.

right-aligned image
The pale blue door set into the alley wall was just a door. It didn't look special, just a door too big for a child so small to open. They didn't know why they stopped. The compulsion had been sudden and immediate, powerful enough to draw the child's attention from their wounded feelings. Even now they felt a desire to approach it. They hesitated, however, and glanced back the way they'd come.

Silent on well-oiled hinges, the right-hand portal opened slowly inwards.

"How you convinced the house to come here, to Pangolais," a decidedly male voice rose from a near room as the child tentatively stepped over the threshold, "I may never understand. It is, however, time for us to go. The Midnight Lord is very jealous of his territory." The child had never heard a voice like it, somehow both warm and utterly lifeless, hollow in more ways than one. The urge to flee back into the street spiked and then vanished entire as the child felt something claim them in some unidentifiable way. They rocked back on their heels, eyes flying wide.
left-aligned image

"I didn't convince it o' nothin', Creyton, and you know it."
A shadow darkened the end of the hallway as the child struggled to muster some sense of self-preservation. The voice crunched through its words like thick gravel. It suited the lurking blackness that suddenly towered over the child. They felt their heart seize up. Their feet were frozen to the worn wooden floor.

The pale, heavy-boned face that peered out of the eclipse of his hood was battered, scarred, and ugly by any good measure. It was not, however, unkind. Peering up into the clear blue depths of his eyes, the child felt their emotions surge like a tidal wave. Without reservation, they flung themselves at the dark figure's steel-clad shins and began to weep with all the heartbreaking ferocity they had struggled so mightily to contain.

"There, there," the hulking man murmered soothingly. As he pat the child's back, he raised his voice and called, "Better get in here Creyton. The House brought a new one."

right-aligned image
"Yes," the voice echoed, rapidly moving closer, "I know." When he appeared in the nearest doorway, it became apparent immediately why the man's voice sounded as hollow as it did. He seemed to be wearing a bucket on his head. Both the bucket and what little of the man the child could see peeking from the black and white covering it wore gleamed like the still frame in the child's memory. Their voice sailed louder in protest as they gave vent to every terror they'd ever known in their short life.

"There, there, you get used to him, I promise." The kindly man gave the child another moment to sooth themself, his hand a constant, comfortable pressure on their back. All too quickly however, he found himself firmly pressing the child back and away. "You'll have to, I'm afraid. The House claimed you the minute you set foot inside. And he's the master here, not me... If anyone is."

"Indeed," the hollow man replied tonelessly, as all his speech had been. "It is time Basil. If you are to stay in Nidal you must exit the house now." He floated into the hallway, closing the distance between himself and the kindly man.

The child noticed with a start that the man's legs faded into a mist just above the ankles. Now that he was closer, they noticed he didn't gleam exactly the same as the wounding streak. The child took a few hesitant steps forward and waved their chubby hands directly through the hollow man's legs. This drew a sudden guffaw from Basil, whose eyes flashed up at Creyton and back to the child. The man's heavy hand fell lightly on the child's shoulder one more time before he winked and turned to the blue door. The portal already stood open. "Until the House calls, Creyton."

"Honor your bonds and listen for that call," the hollow man replied in a manner even they instinctively recognized as formal. Creyton turned his head suddenly to give the child his fullest regard, the battered man seemingly forgotten. Behind them they heard the door close and felt the air go suddenly still and somehow... Heavy.

"I am Creyton. Do you have a name?" The child shook their head mutely and glanced back over their shoulder. The blue door stood there, just as it first had - only now it seemed to beckon in the other direction. Creyton made no move to restrain them as they walked slowly forward. The latch clicked and the heavy portal began to creep open...

They wandered into a street in the middle of a culture entirely alien to anything they had ever known. The noise and bluster forced them back post haste, spinning on their heel, only to find Creyton hovering in the door frame. "Ah," the hollow man noted, "Almas, in Andoran. Interesting. Well, come along then. The House will have made you a space of your very own. Best to discover it early and not give the House a chance to sulk."

-...The House has been unusually quite today. It also produced a prodigious amount of food for dinner, leading me to believe we are to have a feast.

As I was cleaning earlier I noted that the door to the map room has reappeared.

The House is telling me it is time. I shall call the children together in the morning. - C.
House Journal excerpt, Sunday, 28 Erastus

Icereach#8108 | Gost, a campaign setting | The House of Ejlvajn, a module compilation

Last edited by Icereach; Sep 11th, 2021 at 11:21 AM.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 01:43 PM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach
General Thoughts:
  • Yes, I do have plans to deal with player attrition. Yes, they do border on zany.
  • There will be no "application review" process.
  • The above date is tentative. If we go a week without new interest, I'll close applications and make a decision. Applications are now closed!

Q&A:
  • Firearms? Allowed and emerging. Don't expect black powder resources to be universally available.
  • Spheres of Power? Sorry, Charlie, but that's not my gym bag.
Icereach#8108 | Gost, a campaign setting | The House of Ejlvajn, a module compilation

Last edited by Icereach; May 17th, 2021 at 11:29 PM.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 01:44 PM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
Applicants:

Last edited by Icereach; May 9th, 2021 at 09:47 PM.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 04:12 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 263
Silim Silim Silim
User Name: Silim
Experience Role playing: I haven't exactly kept time, but: Roleplaying (system-less) for over ~15 years now I believe, system playing started around 10 or so years ago I think, with D&D 3.5 being my first system. Didn't play it for long, since then been playing Pathfinder on and off (and GMed it too), and I've got some experience with D&D 5E, FFG's Star Wars, Star Wars Saga, some PbtA games, Mutants & Masterminds, a tiny bit of Burning Wheel and Burning Empires, and for over a year now I'm in a semi-regular VtM game too. I've been around in a few systems is my point I guess.
Post Preference: Usually for system-based forum RP I stick to shorter (1-4 paragraphs) posts, unless I have a group where we play a very narrative system like FFGs Star Wars.
Availability to Post: From Europe, as far as timezones go, and technically if I'm not too scatterbrained, I can usually respond within a few days at most.

Personal Archetype:
Oof this is a hard one, but: I tend to play somewhat troubled characters, be it by past or blood, but ALSO sometimes just play very positive and supportive characters. Rarely a trickster of some sort, but I keep those away from system-games, so not that important for here. For this game I think some type of innate caster would be what I'd gravitate towards, be it Sorcerer, Summoner, Oracle or something else in the same neighborhood.

Favorite Roleplaying Experience: How the heck is this the hardest part...? Know what, I'll cheat and put two, one that was bittersweet triumph and one that was a great failure. The former was the end of Curse of Strahd - my paladin was the one to finally stake Strahd and put an end to him with the staff part of a magic staff, but in the process of finally getting to this point, he had committed such great atrocities and lost the very things he even fought for, that the Mists took him and made him into a Dreadlord to suffer eternally for his sins. Everyone else woke up weeks later in the spot from where they entered Barovia, but Coranzen was nowhere to be seen, as if he had never even existed... And the latter moment. This was in my Saga Edition Star Wars game. On a ship currently breaking apart and crashing into a gas giant, the slaver pirate captain we were hunting shoots out the glass and jetpacks out onto an escape shuttle, and heads inside. My combat engineer rockets out with her own jetpack, landing on top of the shuttle. It does a roll to throw her off, she claws on (alien species with razor-sharp claws), and gets out a detonite pack - but right before she can blow the shuttle out of the sky, the pirate captain shoots her square in the chest, and she plummets into the thin upper atmosphere of the gas giant. She was saved by her ally Sorc (our friendly sniper commando), who she mayyyy be slightly infatuated with now thanks to that save. Everything about that moment was great - the tension, the quick calls, and the critical moment of failure that never felt like a punishment.

Writing Sample: I think I found a good one here. Hira's second post in a Star Wars game I'm in.

And for something smaller/more digestible and fantasy adjacent, here, a Pathfinder post from me too! This one is from another forum. The introductory post of Rikkan, the elven Gloomblade, in a Kingmaker campaign.

Last edited by Silim; Apr 28th, 2021 at 10:32 AM.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 05:01 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 75443
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
User Name: Dirk
Experience Role playing: Playing DnD since the mid 70's. Stuck at Pathfinder, not much intent on moving on.
Post Preference: Probably a three to five paragraph post. Hard to say, since speaking often counts as a paragraph in English, which tends to lengthen my "average" a bit, but the random post I pulled below is pretty much average for me.
Availability to Post: Daily.

Personal Archetype: I move about a bit, but generally, I prefer a support-type character: I don't want to be the lead/bard or the door-basing tank, I prefer to be the "oil" that lubricates the party machinery. Every so often, I will get a craving to try out a "type" that I don't often do (like a BSF, or something) but usually, I stick to the helper style. One thing I am thinking of here is trying the Omdura class... It's one I have been hoping to play, I got a taste of it in another game (played for about two months), but it didn't work out.

Favorite Roleplaying Experience: When you've gamed for 40+ years, there's a lot. So, I am just going to go with a very recent one. I was invited to join a game, and I ended up with a young, ratfolk witch. My initial thought was that she was one of 20 or 30 siblings in the family, and they were poor, but cheerful... kind of Tiny Tim, but a witch. She was tossed into a big adventure, and she has since become one of my favorite PC's ever. She's young, naive, kind of like everyone's kid sister... cheerful, very brave (because she doesn't know how to not be), and still, very naive, even as she is part of this group saving the world from demons. To her, it's just a big fairy tale, filled with knights and magical people, and she just goes along having fun, trying to be like them, and be a hero. Turns out, she has an entire army that would storm a castle for her, because they know she would storm one for them.

(Optional) Writing Sample:

Old Apr 26th, 2021, 08:49 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13414
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
Game ApplicationUser Name: OneDarkness
Experience Role playing: Started rpging back about 35 years ago with 1st edition D&D but have played so many role playing systems that I have lost count, pretty much covering the spectrum of roleplaying I would say, but my favorites tend to be Pathfinder and I am a sucker for some sort of horror game like Call of Cthulhu or space horror. Not sure what that says about me as a player I do love a good story.
Post Preference: 2-3 paragraphs is the norm for a post, unless the post warrants something shorter for some reason or I don't have much to work with.
Availability to Post: Working at a PC all day means I pretty much have access all day, though there is always some crazy day where things are limited and weekends can be sporadic depending on what the wife and kids want to do.

Personal Archetype: Over the years I have pretty much played the gambit of characters, all makes and models. Do I have a favorite, possibly, but there is a good chance my character is human unless the campaign calls for something specific and while I can play any alignment fairly comfortably I tend towards Neutral Good which follows my own mindset. I do tend to favor intelligence and skills in my characters, a couple sp from int and human lets me add a bit more flavor to a character and you throw in background skills and I do feel like I have something more I can work with. I don't tend to play the more martial types, rogues, wizards or rogue / wizards, bards are fairly common or if feeling pious a paladin, monk or priest can certainly make an appearance.

Favorite Roleplaying Experience: This is a tough one as truthfully there have been a lot of them, but one thing many of them have in common is when I wind up with a group of like minded players where everything just flows and the banter is witty. As much as the game is about stats, skills, spells etc its more important that everybody is committed to the experience. I'll try and find some of my more favourite ones and link if I can.

(Optional) Writing Sample:

A couple of my posts from previous games
Sweetwater Campaign
Curse of Strahd

Last edited by OneDarkness; Apr 29th, 2021 at 09:55 PM.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 09:23 PM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
Howdy people! Thanks for applying! I know there's a rather long lead time on this one, so feel free to ask any questions you'd like in the meantime. I'll be rather interactive with the thread since my obligations on site are pretty slim at the moment. Depending on interest, I may even bump up the date.

Dirk - Not only have I never seen an Omdura in play, I didn't even know they existed until you mentioned them.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 10:29 PM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3312
Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga
WIPUser Name: Amarga
Experience Role playing: Been playing for aboooouuuutttt a decade or so now, dnd 3.5 was my start, eventually branching into pathfinder, 5e, lancer, Mutants and Masterminds, Blades in the Dark, and a few other miscelaneous systems. I've done an unreasonable amount of work on GURPS campaigns I've never bothered to actually run, and have been on and off smashing together a sci-fi racing system for use in the future.
Post Preference: Honestly I prefer to keep actual posts short and sweet, so 1-3 paragraphs.
Availability to Post: I try to respond every few days, but that depends on how big my university load is and what sort of work needs to be done around the family property.

Personal Archetype: I can't say I have too much of a personal preference. I havn't been part of enough games on this site to really guage that though. As far as what I want to play, I'm thinking a classic, earnest healer/priest type would be fun to give a whirl. I guess I prefer more positive characters overall when I think about it.

Favorite Roleplaying Experience: Back in highschool when I would play a weekly game with my friends, we had a game that ran for the whole of highschool. Our party, having started this campaign as relatively new players who had never gotten stuck into a dnd game before, made a party of absolute madmen and idiots. It was generally a blast, to the point where we avoided the first evil boss by just shrugging our shoulders and unwittingly going along with his schemes.
The campaign ended with us rading an island stronghold of a high level illithid lich on a boiling sea. We, being absolutely adverse to doing anything conventionally sensible, chose to use the anti-paladin's cursed maul to burrow through the warded floor directly onto the boss, COMPLETELY skipping past his minions and ignoring the series of tubes that were inwardly warded with force spells. We pasted his undead squid head, and searched around for his phylactery, only to find he had launched the damn thing into orbit using his pipe network filled with incredibly strong force spells. So with our job more or less done for the next few hundred years, we went back outside to our kraken submarine we had used to cross the boiling sea, only to find a letter from that first evil boss we had been working for thanking us for our work, and apologizing for his servant, who had slain our only way off the island while we were fighting the final boss.
With this, we wrapped up the campaign with laughs at the way it all ended, concluding that eventually, a bunch of various 13th (or so) level characters loaded with magical items would find a way to get back to the main land, and go their seperate ways to spread their own special misfortunes upon the world.

Writing Sample:
[Lancer] Code Geass: Ronin of the Rebellion (Fun times with a crazed mountain man from a lancer game.)
Minkai's Overlord (Some drunken shenanagins from a halfling monk in a pathfinder game.)

Posting interest!

Last edited by Amarga; May 6th, 2021 at 08:59 PM.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 11:26 PM
Pathloser

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 352
Thorolf Vitki Thorolf Vitki Thorolf Vitki Thorolf Vitki
Name: Dave

Experience: 6 years of Pathfinder, like, 5 minutes of 3.5 before that, RPG video games for about 25 years before that (does anybody remember Warriors of the Eternal Sun on Genesis?) Never done a PBP.

Post preference: As this would be my first PBP, I can't really answer this question accurately.

Availability to post: Daily. Possibly more during combats.

Personal archetype: I don't have a favorite class or type of character to play. I love to pore over the options and come up with interesting builds. I try as much as possible to avoid overused tropes. I would like to play a character who is cowardly and unsure of himself, but still manages to do heroic things in comical ways.

Favorite role-playing experience: The first game I GMed. So, in prison, you are lucky if there is more than one other person in your unit who plays. When I started, there were 5 of us. Not long after I started playing, the gm quit. Nobody else wanted to do it, so despite having the least experience, I ended up being the gm. I had literally played 2 modules at this point (Guardians of Dragonfall for 3.5 and Broken Chains) I was taking over the party that had played the Broken Chains module. It ended up being a blast, and the most memorable game I've ever participated in. It was a mess, total monty haul. A couple weeks in, someone got Mythic Adventures in the mail. It was ridiculously, hilariously bad. I've had alot of great experiences since, and learned alot about the game. I've GMed more than I've played. But I don't think anything will ever beat my first game as a GM.

Writing Sample: Here's a limerick I wrote for poetry class in college: A brave knight set out down the track, decked out on a mighty steeds back. "I'll slay the dragon!" He boasted, but instead he was roasted, and the dragon had him for a snack.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 11:52 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39892
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
@Icereach - Level 1 to 20 at 2 posts a week? My experience says that's not likely feasible. You plan on a lot of milestone advancements?
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 12:40 AM
Playin' Dungas and Dragos

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23136
pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90
User Name: Pianoman90
Experience Role playing: Pathfinder is definitely my jam, but I loved dabbling in Call of Cthulhu, 5e throughout Outplay, and worldbuilding games like Dawn of Worlds (one fantastic game onsite here, a few more like it on tabletop). I have been itching to play a World of Darkness or Mage game for a while, but havenít had the time to do so just yet.
Post Preference: I can be far too wordy, though I try to limit myself to a few useful paragraphs. I am always interested in driving the plot forward and staying true to my character as much as I can.
Availability to Post: Mid-week is harder (unless I have a break in teaching like I do today), but I will do my utmost never to hold up a game more than a couple of days without prior notice.

Personal Archetype:
My absolute favorite pathfinder class to muck around with has been the inspired blade swashbuckler/kensai magus build. I used it first in an Outplay competition here years ago which was set at a high starting level and it turned out to have plenty of give. Apart from that, I do love the more zany characters, wizards obsessed with poking things and grumpy old healers bemoaning the folly of youth. I am definitely happy to take up any role, but the frontline, forthright characters seem to gel pretty well with me.

Favorite Roleplaying Experience: Plenty of awesome moments! I agree that this is the toughest part, but I will have to go with when I accidentally detonated a bomb in a group of children as an alchemist half-driven mad by a terrifying sequence of events. Xianís Forsaken Planes campaign which I was a part of for far too short a time had some cracking moments, but this post was just the right length and I enjoyed writing every minute.

Linky link

Have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Update 20/08 - Online fatigue starting to hit. Poke me if I am being really slow!
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 02:02 AM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
@Zev - I plan on running everything as long as I possibly can, either until my brain rots (the rest of the way), or my bones become so soft I can't type anymore. Who knows where we'll eventually get?
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 05:15 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 263
Silim Silim Silim
@Icereach - how do you feel about guns and Gunslingers in general? I know that some GMs prefer to keep firearms out of their fantasy games. If I go for Gunslinger I may go Bolt Ace anyway and thus the blackpowder question wouldn't come up, but I figured I'd ask.
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 08:05 AM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
@Silim - Thank you. No matter how many times I double checked this before posting it, I'm still catching stuff I missed. I even specifically thought about this one. Emerging Firearms, and don't trap yourself into relying on buying ammo whenever you like.
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 10:58 PM
Definitely not a robot...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Jacobzilla Jacobzilla
User Name: Jacobzilla

Experience Role playing: 3.5 and pathfinder. Over ten years but I feel like a new player now. Rusty.

Post Preference: I could put out a couple paragraphs depending on the situation but can be pushed for more or less. I'm not horribly long winded.

Availability to Post: Yes, but only if chosen. The claw, it decides who stays and who goes!

Personal Archetype: My first few characters were socially oriented unintentionally. First being a favoured soul and reaped the benefits of a massive charisma score and the second was a telepath who unintentionally turned his team mates brain into swiss cheese.

Favorite Roleplaying Experience: When I was dungeon mastering before the party jumped ship on discord. I've developed my own world. Aklonia, a world wracked by the hands of corrupt elemental sages and twin moons housing their own horrors. I feel abandoned now though. The higher you soar the harder you can fall.

Writing Sample: (Insert the perfect backstory...) Just kidding. A prompt would be nice.

Last edited by Jacobzilla; Apr 27th, 2021 at 10:59 PM.