twitter facebook

Notices

Old Sep 14th, 2021, 07:02 PM
Pathloser

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 352
Thorolf Vitki Thorolf Vitki Thorolf Vitki Thorolf Vitki
Hmm. I'm seriously considering applying. I was one of the players originally accepted to this game, but was brand new to the site at the time and ended up missing my chance because I didn't see the pm telling me I was accepted until it was too late. I have a much better grasp on things now. If I do apply, how does a chirurgeon alchemist sound?
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 07:19 PM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4928
Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach
I remember, Thorolf, and I understand. If I had known a better way to alert you, I would have. You're certainly welcome to throw your hat in the ring again; I'm glad you're still interested. What the group lacks is strong healing, both HP and status effects. Wouldn't be frowned on if they could also take a punch. I think how you get there isn't all that important, but those abilities would be the most beneficial.
Icereach#8108 | Gost, a campaign setting | The House of Ejlvajn, a module compilation
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 09:10 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1662
cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina
I don't know the pathfinder system at all. Is that going to be a big problem? There are so many good games offered under pathfinder system right now. How different is it from 5e?
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 02:37 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2689
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappucina View Post
I don't know the pathfinder system at all. Is that going to be a big problem? There are so many good games offered under pathfinder system right now. How different is it from 5e?
Pathfinder is based on D&D 3.5, an earlier version of 5e. Here is a link to the Rules: Pathfinder RPG
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 04:47 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1342
DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess
Both games do run similarly at the most basic level, but I'd say 5e is far more simpler and dumbed down. That may or may not be a good thing.

Off the top of my head, the biggest differences are more skills and a skill point system; more classes and archetype of those classes; typically it feels like you get more bonuses for each level in a class, and every level could also do other things, like give you better saves, better attack rolls, and they all give more HP and skill points; there are various modifiers to give you boosts or penalties to your rolls.

One thing I don't like about 5e is the system of advantages and disadvantages. You have the high ground? You get an advantage. If you have the high ground, and you just blinded the enemy, and your foe also happened to be exhausted after a long march, and you also have just been blessed by a goddess of luck, you still only have the same advantage. Though I guess in this case the enemy would also have disadvantage when attacking you... still just a single disadvantage.

In pathfinder, you can get smaller flat bonuses to rolls from various things: buffs, circumstances, luck, flanking, or anything else that makes sense if the GM is generous. Affects with the same descriptor generally do not stack, unless specifically stated otherwise, and though they may be smaller individually, they do add up.

Last edited by DrowNinjaPrincess; Sep 16th, 2021 at 07:54 AM.
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 05:09 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2689
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Like Obi Wan, all you need us the high ground!
Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4928
Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach
Howdy cappuccino! Welcome, and thanks for the interest! I would have to say that knowing the rules to Pathfinder is pretty important for this. After all, the party is relying on you to stay alive. PF is a lot more rules focused than 5e, with a lot more "traps" in character gen. That said, we have a very knowledgeable group of players to help. While I would prefer a player with experience, I'm certainly not going to discourage anyone from applying.
Icereach#8108 | Gost, a campaign setting | The House of Ejlvajn, a module compilation

Last edited by Icereach; Yesterday at 02:58 PM.