Information Competition rules and rules queries for Outplay 2021 - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Outplay Arena > Outplay 2021
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 10th, 2021, 09:31 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6706
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
How do we 1) design duration and 2) work in the concept of concentration for spells?
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 09:41 AM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12067
Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimi View Post
How do we 1) design duration and 2) work in the concept of concentration for spells?
Here is the answer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan
The duration of any Buff, Debuff, or Utility spell will last for one minute.
So durations are preset and Concentration would just be for flavor since the spell lasts for a minute regardless.

Are the rounds for this system still set at 6 seconds? So a duration spell would last for 10 rounds?
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 01:47 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28838
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qiksilv View Post
In the example a character has a piece of armor (mithril gauntlet) listed as an AG. Does armor reduce damage taken or would I have to find an atypical usage of armor for to be useful (like as a mirror against Medusa)?
You would have to include how you are using it, and make a roll. An example, you are the party TANK, and have a signature move, Impenetrable Defense. You do this with your armor, and place yourself in harm's way to absorb all of an enemy's attacks. (Even without a signature move, you could do this with armor). How effective it depends on the Outplay Roll result. This could count in the total successes needed to overcome some obstacle or defeat a foe. Perhaps it could make the failure of another party member be mitigated, depending on what is happening in the narrative.

Quote:
You said cantrips can summon/create some objects. Would that include things like ropes, ladders, buckets, water, torches, etc or is it more limited?
I am not going to put a hard limit on this. Cantrips can be used for narrative flavor, but they can't provide gear that would be used with some kind of a skill roll.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 01:51 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimi View Post
Qiksilv's answers were pretty much right on here, but I'll reiterate just to make them official.

The duration of any Buff, Debuff, or Utility spell will last for one minute. We are assuming that attack or healing spells will happen instantaneously. In play, a spell's impact will be resolved with the GM update. You can see a few examples of this in the Outplay 2021 The System - Play Example. If you were using a spell that would need longer to achieve this, and needed to recast it over and over, from a narrative perspective, you could do this. E.G. if we were playing as Mosses recreating the parting of the Red Sea, then the 'Parting' spell would need to be cast over and over until everyone gets across. But, I would still only require one Outplay Roll to determine the effectiveness of it, and would resolve all the action, where reasonable, in one post.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 01:53 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Are the rounds for this system still set at 6 seconds? So a duration spell would last for 10 rounds?
Actual 'combat' round duration is a little fluid, and depends more on the duration of time it takes to complete the actions laid out by all involved players.

I'll have time to get these responses added to the Q and A post later today, hopefully.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 03:07 PM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
I am not going to put a hard limit on this. Cantrips can be used for narrative flavor, but they can't provide gear that would be used with some kind of a skill roll.
I hope I'm not splitting hairs at this point but to clarify; to cross a 100' chasm I could technically use a cantrip to create a 12' wide concrete vehicular bridge to span the gap but would still only roll 1d6 to get across.

As opposed to the Barbarian with the AG "Boots of Bouncing" who decided to just try and jump it with 2d6 or the halfling with a AG "Glider" and the "Hangtime" SM who could roll 3d6.

Though if I had a listed Spell like "Barrage of Bubbles" I could argue to give all of us an extra 1d6 by pushing us further across.

That sound right?
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 04:05 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
That is a decent breakdown. Anything you could potentially do, but could fail, you make an Outplay Roll for with 1d6. If you use a cantrip to help with it, the cantrip is just for narrative flavor. If you have a piece of gear that you can use while doing it, you roll 2d6. If you use a Signature Move to do it, you roll 3d6.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 04:21 PM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
Is 3d6 the max or could I use "Barrage of Bubbles" to help my halfling companion giving him 4d6 (since he already gets 3d6 for having a AG and SM)?
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 04:26 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
You can Help another player or spells that give a BUFF could add more die to that. You could have a team of 4 using all their effort all doing things to have one person's roll be supper juiced, for example.

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jun 10th, 2021 at 04:26 PM.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 04:40 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2772
JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy
Can you use your spell focus as a gear bonus to cast said cantrip? ... or is that piece of adventuring equipment limited to only being able to cast your 1-4 known spells?
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 05:16 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
You don't make any rolls for cantrips. You can use your spell focus for anything that makes sense to. Say you used a 10' pole as your spell focus. You could cast with it and use it to avoid falling into 5' traps.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 05:19 PM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5784
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
You can Help another player or spells that give a BUFF could add more die to that. You could have a team of 4 using all their effort all doing things to have one person's roll be supper juiced, for example.
During play, how encouraged is facilitating such a combination of posts during the competition? Would that be something that we'd talk about in the OOC or would it fall under metagaming and be frowned upon?*

*Not that I'm planning to do anything of the sort, but I'm curious since this is my first Outplay.

Last edited by Mindsiege; Jun 10th, 2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 06:31 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsiege View Post
During play, how encouraged is facilitating such a combination of posts during the competition? Would that be something that we'd talk about in the OOC or would it fall under metagaming and be frowned upon?*

*Not that I'm planning to do anything of the sort, but I'm curious since this is my first Outplay.
During weeks of play, you will have 24 hours to post. The other players in your group may or may not be in the same time zone. Knowing those restraints, I have no problems with players talking to each other to make plans, though it may be easier to facilitate in-game. You do want to keep any discussions out of the OOC thread though, as that can be considered revealing spoilers for the other groups.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 08:53 PM
Nargle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 40076
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
Just want to clarify: here it says
Quote:
The Stat Block will have a word limit of 500 words.
and
Quote:
(Note: Signature Moves and Kown Spells section will NOT be included in the total word count)
Both sentences are correct? That is, we have a generous 500 words for just the character's name, race, number, and gear, and we can also write the equivalent of Shakespeare's complete collected works for signature moves and known spells? I doubt anyone would abuse this (nor can I see how that would be to their benefit) but I just want to clarify.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 08:58 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekidnu View Post
Just want to clarify: here it says and
Both sentences are correct? That is, we have a generous 500 words for just the character's name, race, number, and gear, and we can also write the equivalent of Shakespeare's complete collected works for signature moves and known spells? I doubt anyone would abuse this (nor can I see how that would be to their benefit) but I just want to clarify.
Oh no.. that was a mistake on my part. The 500 words DOES include Signature Moves and Known Spells. That line was added when we were going to limit the whole application to 1000 words and should have been removed when I made the change to have the stat block broken out with its own word count. It has been corrected, and I will get that added to the Q and A immedatly.