RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 26th, 2021, 10:21 PM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11642
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Intimidated as always by the competition!
Old Jun 26th, 2021, 11:39 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21426
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Going to be fun when we see the results thread.
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 02:32 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1170
Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters Born of Monsters
Bleh. It's frustrating when you carefully wrote your backstory, gave it an editing pass, then went back the next day to re-edit it... and then when you go back to re-read it alongside the other entries, discover that you just sort of omitted the main word from a sentence.

Or, I suppose, as the Canberra Editor put it, "if a mistake is as plain as the nose on your face, everyone can see it but you."
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 02:35 PM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5784
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
I'm really bugged by the most obvious typo ever in my own application as well. Hopefully I'll be allowed to fix that if I make it into the next round.

Last edited by Mindsiege; Jun 28th, 2021 at 02:35 PM.
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 02:51 PM
a pair of ragged claws

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18150
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
All my ugly typos are there for everyone to see, point, and sneer at for all eternity from a past competition.

I wouldn't stress a few here or there. The competition is too long to stress them all and there will be more.

Try and enjoy yourself. That's my main advice.
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 07:01 PM
fundamentally useless

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10222
stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol
Yeah, we'll always have plenty of new and original opportunities to make fools of ourselves

Last edited by stepanxol; Jun 28th, 2021 at 07:01 PM.
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 07:16 PM
Fork! Knife! Spoon!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24910
Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepanxol View Post
Yeah, we'll always have plenty of new and original opportunities to make fools of ourselves
And don't worry, we Judges are here to provide you the service of pointing out each and every one...and you get that for free too

+
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 07:36 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28838
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngainlyFool View Post
All my ugly typos are there for everyone to see, point, and sneer at for all eternity from a past competition.

I wouldn't stress a few here or there. The competition is too long to stress them all and there will be more.

Try and enjoy yourself. That's my main advice.
If it makes you feel any better, I am usually got for 2 typos per word. 4 if I am using voice to text. I mean, that is how we get things like Sir Ethan vs. Sir Ether.
Old Jun 29th, 2021, 12:35 AM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Oh yeah, usually there's an hour given after a post to make any needed edits. I'm not known as a neat and tidy speller.

Kind of out of curiousity, I'm guessing what's happening now is the judges are discussing whose made a viable character or not and once they get the viable character list figured out the list is going to get a light trim. Just enough to have the number of players be divisible by 4 or 8 depending on how they want to handle the brackets. Am I close?
Old Jun 29th, 2021, 03:00 AM
Barbarus sum

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20112
HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood
I hate it when I make typos, so I'm hoping there aren't any of those!

My style tends towards long sentences, especially when I'm writing in a character's voice (this character is a talker). Sometimes judges don't like that; I've been dinged for it in previous years. Do I change my style to please the judges, or do I "just do me"? Decisions...
Pronouns: he/him/his, etc.
Old Jun 29th, 2021, 04:11 AM
Literal Worm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9653
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
I'd say stick with your style Lockwood, gives me a better shot

As for typos I find that sometimes I stare at the thing for so long that the ocasional one becomes invisible by the 700th re read!.I'm always amazed how many I didin't spot when I move it from the word doc to the prieview!

Last edited by Wishkamon; Jun 29th, 2021 at 04:11 AM.
Old Jun 29th, 2021, 10:38 AM
Distanced, Socially

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19833
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
I find Grammarly (browser extension) helps a lot. Catches the really stupid mistakes right away so you can focus on context and grammar.

As for styling, I'd stay keep doing you. If you have a consistent voice, that tends to add to the impression of the character more than trying to guess at what the judges are looking for, and you'll be able to do your best work if you're comfortable. Some people are going to like it, and some aren't, but if *you* like it, then your experience is better overall.
Baby came a month early, please stand by
Old Jun 29th, 2021, 10:45 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 43248
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
I'll also add that pandering to the judge's taste isn't really possible, or wise, with so many judges. We are all focusing on different things as we work our way through the entries.

As our beloved taskmaster said, "Also, yes. People will have very different ideas of what they like, and what they don't. If all of you gave the exact same scores for everything, we would only need 1 judge. "
Old Jun 29th, 2021, 11:01 AM
Fork! Knife! Spoon!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24910
Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imveros View Post
I'll also add that pandering to the judge's taste isn't really possible, or wise, with so many judges. We are all focusing on different things as we work our way through the entries.
No, see Imveros is completely wrong here. Pandering to me is strongly encouraged

+

Last edited by Chrystrom; Jun 29th, 2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old Jun 29th, 2021, 11:27 AM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
Oh yeah, don’t try to pander. It won’t work. The ways of the judges are too mysterious. Believe me, learned that the hard way.