RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 5th, 2021, 01:17 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28838
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuul View Post
Do we know what color the badge is this year? I remember them all being listed somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find it anymore.
No idea. I'm not sure it has even been made yet? There is the Wall of Fame, which shows all current badges, kudos.

Quote:
Relevant question: What site Style/Format are the judges using when reading our posts?

It's relevant because the last time I played I either lost points or came close to losing points, because of how 'wall-of-text-y' my paragraphs had appeared to the Judge. Waaaaaaaaaaaay back when I first joined the site, I had almost immediately started using the Drake(no background) style, and over the years had completely forgotten there even were other formats. The Drake style has a completely open post/text area from one side of the screen to the other, but most of the others have varying levels of reduced width, down to half or slightly less.

So what's a normal-sized paragraph in my site style of choice can be decidedly not in another's. So would like to know what I should be building a post around, in terms of visual space.
Drake (no background) is the default. If judges think things look really weird, I will ask them to examine them using that theme.
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 02:05 PM
Nargle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 40076
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
Quote:
Do we know what color the badge is this year? I remember them all being listed somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find it anymore.
I believe the list you want is here. It looks like brown to me.

Fyi, I found this page by clicking on Bhelogan's Hall of Fame award twice.
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 02:45 PM
Master of Undeath

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17204
Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul
Thanks, both of you!
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 03:04 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21426
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
No idea. I'm not sure it has even been made yet? There is the Wall of Fame, which shows all current badges, kudos.

Drake (no background) is the default. If judges think things look really weird, I will ask them to examine them using that theme.
Just had three ďHoly CrapĒ moments in a row. Didnít even know the site had an official Wall of Fame, turns out Iím not only on it but Iím on the Wall of Fame for ďGreat Player Competition (Outplay) Winner (2008)Ē.

...I donít suppose that could be declared official for Outplay? Like on the Champions list?

And I know I promised that if I ever won one of these things Iíd volunteer to be a Judge. If 2008ís round is made official I do intend to fulfill that promise. Kind of assuming itís too late for this year but Iíd love to talk about it.
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 03:58 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GleefulNihilism View Post
...I donít suppose that could be declared official for Outplay? Like on the Champions list?
You are a winner in my book. Not every award has a badge that goes on your user profile (or else I would be missing a bunch of lego bricks)
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 12:30 PM
Literal Worm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9653
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange2099 View Post
I had been planning since the end of last year's competition to make room in my schedule for this!
Unfortunately, things didn't quite go according to plan.

Unless something drastically changes for me within the next 20 days 3 hours and 58 minutes, I'll probably have to enjoy this one from the stands. At least I can enjoy participation as a spectator!
Sorry to hear that Strange, I'll cross my fingers and toes for you!
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 04:30 AM
Barbarus sum

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20112
HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood
Hmm. I am working on my character concept and have three signature moves I want to take, but I'm only allowed two of them. Decisions, decisions...

This is fun!
Pronouns: he/him/his, etc.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 08:52 AM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5784
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
I'm really enjoying dabbling with this system in terms of creative character creation. Also, though I might be early to come to that conclusion, I think for the sake of a competition like Outplay, a system like this has a lot of advantages compared to something more established, but with other design purposes in mind than being run for Outplay.

Last edited by Mindsiege; Jun 7th, 2021 at 08:53 AM.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 10:07 AM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
You are a winner in my book. Not every award has a badge that goes on your user profile (or else I would be missing a bunch of lego bricks)
D'aww, shucks.

I submitted a character on the assumption that even if the update does happen its too late to hop over the judge's table. Which, seems like it would be. Y'all got something going and it'll be interesting to see it unfold.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 10:30 AM
Distanced, Socially

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19833
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
I have a very specific character in mind (this is probably the best chance I'll ever have to do the proper troll character I've always wanted), so this would mean forfeiting the bonus points for the application. How significant are those two bonus points? Like would I be completely crippling my application by forfeiting the bonus, or is it a pretty small blow in the grand scheme of things?
Baby came a month early, please stand by
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 10:33 AM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAquilina View Post
I have a very specific character in mind (this is probably the best chance I'll ever have to do the proper troll character I've always wanted), so this would mean forfeiting the bonus points for the application. How significant are those two bonus points? Like would I be completely crippling my application by forfeiting the bonus, or is it a pretty small blow in the grand scheme of things?
I think it was mentioned earlier that the judges are judging characters out of 40 points. So missing out on 2 bonus points is going to be noticable but by itself won't kill you if I had to guess.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 10:58 AM
Distanced, Socially

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19833
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
You are correct, my question has already been answered. Sorry about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan
Q: How do bonus points work?
A: Each round will list objectives that may be achieved, and bonus points given for them. In Round 0, this is 1 point for using a randomly rolled race, and 1 for using a randomly rolled CN. These points will be added to the judges scores. A judge has 40 points to assign, shown in the matrix in the Meet the Judges thread. Thus, 1 bonus point is roughly 2.5%. (As the GM, I will add the bonus points to the judges scores when they are being tallied)
Baby came a month early, please stand by

Last edited by DAquilina; Jun 7th, 2021 at 10:59 AM.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 11:15 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
My advice would be if you have a character you really want to play go with that and don’t worry about the random rolls. Rolling randomly is more for inspiration if you’re not sure what to do.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 12:07 PM
Master of Undeath

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17204
Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul
I remember a brief pathfinder game that had optional random tables for origin, background event, gender race, and class, with separate bonuses for each.

I chose to roll for everything and ended up with a Male Duergar Witch, hailing from a tropical island that recently ended up the sole survivor of a shipwreck, and the ship that rescued him carried him to the starting port city.

Fun times.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 12:14 PM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5784
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Quote:
I remember a brief pathfinder game that had optional random tables for origin, background event, gender race, and class, with separate bonuses for each.

I chose to roll for everything and ended up with a Male Duergar Witch, hailing from a tropical island that recently ended up the sole survivor of a shipwreck, and the ship that rescued him carried him to the starting port city.

Fun times.
This. This is the reason I love random character generation!

Though I guess most times I'm not doing everything random, but making sense out of random facts about your new character can be a hilariously creative activity!