twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2021, 01:19 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28838
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Round 2 Results

Round 2 is in the books! We had some great competition this time around, as expected. The results for each bracket are as follows:

Some of the judge's favorites couldn't overcome the fate the dice had dealt them in Round 2. Round 3 will be a little different format, in that everyone will be in one lumped bracket, with one thread, and the mechanical scores will take a bit of a twist. Stay tuned to see how it goes!

Once again, the judges have given great feedback below:

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jul 29th, 2021 at 07:55 PM.
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 01:21 PM
Fork! Knife! Spoon!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24910
Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom
Once again congratulations to all of you for having made it to this round of competition.

I was thoroughly impressed by what I read this week. The obvious team work and coordination within the brackets was fun to watch. The character growth in many of the posts and the developing relationships among the characters was wonderful.

Please be aware since this was Round 2, I was tougher in my scoring and comments. I was expecting more from your posts this round and for the most part y'all delivered. If your score is lower this round than in Round 1, this does not mean you got worse, it simply means I had to do something or I would have been handing out scores of 40 all over the place with no way to seperate between all of your awesome work.I got tougher as a judge. For those of you that make it to Round 3, please be warned that I will again be stepping up my expectations as a judge. Please pay close attention to the Judging comments you receive from all the Judges. It may also be helpful to check out the comments given to your competitors and see what they are doing well or poorly and learn from that also.

Good luck everyone and I look forward to reading what crazy ideas y'all come up with in Round 3

Bracket 1
Bracket 1

Bracket 2
Bracket 2

Bracket 3
Bracket 3

+

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jul 29th, 2021 at 07:54 PM. Reason: RPXP for Judge Appreciation encouraged
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 01:42 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20385
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Wow, we must be doing something right - those that have advanced to this round are BRINGING IT!
I've enjoyed the read, creativity, and just pure passion that has gone into Round 2 in all the brackets. Thank you for having us along. Be aware that as a judge we have to get VERY picky or we wouldn't have anything to write about - you are each awesome in your own way. At this point, its coming down to preferences - NOT errors, mistakes or bad calls.
Thank you for having us along - now, on to the scores and comments!

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jul 29th, 2021 at 07:54 PM. Reason: RPXP for Judge Appreciation encouraged
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 07:47 PM
Playin' Dungas and Dragos

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23136
pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90
A big round where many of you flexed and stretched your characters versatility and creativity as far as you could manage. Given we are moving through the rounds now, my comments and scoring was harsher than before. I was particularly hard on anything that stepped too far outside the character's capabilities or tried to create too much canonical narrative that should have been the domain of the GM. Flexibility in mechanical terms is a fantastic thing and it did lead to some extraordinarily clever actions and events, but we have to ensure it is always believable.

Some brilliant collaborative work throughout the rounds too - make sure that you include all the details of this collaboration in your posts, not just in private messages so that the GM, judges, and other players have a great sense of the work you are all putting in.

Bracket 1
Bracket 1

Bracket 2
Bracket 2

Bracket 3
Bracket 3

Have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Update 20/08 - Online fatigue starting to hit. Poke me if I am being really slow!

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jul 29th, 2021 at 07:55 PM. Reason: RPXP for Judge Appreciation encouraged
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 07:51 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 43248
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
A call back to my comments from the last round, Brevity is the soul of wit. Aka more does not equal better. Bhelogan has said a few times now that this is not a writing competition. It's a competition to find the best player using the medium of play by post. Post is the operative word here. If you find yourself with thousands of words down, you need to ask yourself, what are you accomplishing with five thousand words that you could not accomplish with fifteen hundred? I've noticed quite a few users falling into this trap this round.

A good player not only builds on the narrative provided but also provide hooks for fellow players. Another aspect is that readers should enjoy what you're writing. Any artist, not just play by posters, need to ask themselves if consuming this art is a good use of their audience's time. Is that flashback/inner monologue relative to this sequence? Does it build on the GM's post? Does it give your fellow players something to work with? Is it a good use of a few/several minutes of your readers' time? All questions you need to ask yourself in the editing process.

There's a unit in the writer's block where you write an entire story in eight words and another where you make an entire application Appearance/Personality/Background with fifty words or fewer. Those were some of the most valuable lessons I received in my time there.

I'll also restate the importance of formatting in making these larger posts easier for the reader's eyes to consume. Just like food, you eat first with your eyes. My favorite posts are the ones with plenty of space for the ol peepers to rest. Coloring, pictures, and formatting also help to break the visual monotony of mountains of off-black text.

Bracket 1
Bracket 1

Bracket 3
Bracket 3

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jul 29th, 2021 at 07:55 PM. Reason: RPXP for Judge Appreciation encouraged
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 12:08 PM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27083
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Retry's Review

Another week of the exciting adventures of the Crossing Companions down and the competition is quite fierce. Many of you took to heart the feedback provided from the last round and that is greatly appreciated. It also makes it that much more difficult to judge haha! Each bracket was distinctively unique in the way they approached the party. We had cat-walk entries, we had a play, we even had an assassination by decapods. This round will live in my mind for a long time.

Like Chrystrom, I was much harsher this week with my scoring. You are all fantastic writers, yet we don't have enough in the budget to bail out all of you!

Old Jul 27th, 2021, 09:42 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9499
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
Bracket 1
Bracket 1

Bracket 2
Bracket 2

Bracket 3
Bracket 3

Old Jul 27th, 2021, 11:32 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28838
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
I wasn't going to judge originally, but then we also were only going to have 1 GM. So, share the workload, as it goes! I don't have daily feedback for everyone's posts. I do have some summaries of my feedback for each character though.

Bracket 2
Bracket 2

Bracket 3
Bracket 3

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jul 29th, 2021 at 07:55 PM. Reason: This guy doesn't know what he is talking about.
Closed Thread