RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Aug 11th, 2021, 03:35 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 43206
moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba
The Devil You Know

The Devil

Capital City. Home. A roiling cesspool of filth and depravity. At its heart, a colony of honest, hardworking folks just trying to scrape a living. Underneath, in the seedy underbelly, the city's slimy guts--what the nouveaux ruling class call 'sweetbreads'--dwell the real denizens of this town: street-dwellers, junkies, thieves, drunks, whores, mobsters, crooked cops, thugs, monsters, and corrupt politicians. My kind of people. My kind of town.

Survival. That's the name of the game. The one thing humanity's best at. And they play a good hand, but it's the Queen who holds all the cards. The game is hers. The cards are hers, the chips, even the goddamned chairs you sit in. She makes the rules. And breaks 'em with impunity. Every lost soul does what he can to come out ahead, but the game is fixed. Always has been. Always will be. Cheat, lie, steal, kill, drink, whore, shoot-up, smoke-up, snort-up, there ain't no winning. Ain't no escape. Not in my town.

Discretion. That's the key to making good in this sarlacc pit we call home. Took a while to put a name to it, but that's it right-enough. You gotta know how far you can push. How much you can cheat. Who you can screw over and live to tell the tale. You gotta be bold, gotta be fast, gotta be smart, but most of all, to make it to the top of this crapheap, you gotta be lucky. Some folks go and try and make their own luck. And more often than not, that's when they go and cross a line that ain't oughta been crossed. That's where I come in: Dickey Cavanaugh, retired Secret Service. Best of the best. Money can buy you a lot of things in Capital City, but justice ain't one of them. For that, you need someone like me. Someone willing to do what others can't. What others won't.

###SETTING###

The Great Old Ones of Lovecraftian lore have arisen. They rule the nations of the world with an iron... er... tentacle? Technological development has seized in the 1950s era (no cell phones or automatic rifles, for example) with a few exceptions (genetic and chemical engineering, biological sciences).

The advent of the Elder Gods upon the earth has introduced humanity to a great many new things, including the touch of the monstrous ancient ones. Genetic and biological engineering have allowed humanity to share some of the gifts of their benevolent overlords. Telekinesis, telepathy, pyrokinesis, physiological transformation, and immense strength are only a few of the potential gifts bestowed at the low, low cost of the mind and soul of the subject. These gifts erode the sanity and sometimes stamina of their bearers and are used with great caution by all but the most insane and reckless.

The story will be set in the bustling Capital City, site of the Grand Cathedral of Her Most Regal Majesty Queen Glorianna Yidhra of the Northern Provinces, and a cesspool of crime, corruption, and depravity.

Laws are mostly unchanged. Our new rulers care little for our petty moral-based legal system, however, and lawlessness is rampant. Might makes right. Unless you cross the Elders. There are a few, however, who still pursue justice for the downtrodden, and some, even, who dare to stand in opposition to the Great Old Ones and their tyrannical reign.

###GRIT###

You are a detective. Or about to become one.

Who are you? WHAT are you? And what makes you think you can handle the streets of Capital City?

The Cypher System is the only one I even vaguely remember anymore. You don't have to have source material. The dice determine some things, but mostly it's your wits and tenacity against an unjust world where the light glows dim... when it shines at all.

There's a FREE rules primer available here through the Monte Cook Games website. It's not a must-read, but it's a good resource for those interested in the system.

###APPLY###

I'm looking for ONE (1) player who would really enjoy this kind of scenario and individualized gaming/storytelling. It's very sandboxy, but there will be mysteries to solve and I'll do my best to keep you motivated.

To apply, give me the following:

Character name, age, gender, background, powers, etc. I <3 cool images, but they aren't required. In many cases, a few perfect words are worth a thousand pictures.

Player info you want me to consider.

Last edited by moozuba; Aug 11th, 2021 at 03:49 PM.
Old Aug 11th, 2021, 04:36 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 300
Lighting Lad Lighting Lad Lighting Lad Lighting Lad
Hey. new to the site, this sounds really cool and wanted to apply. Love noir and dark fantasy and this genre in general, so it seems right up my alley. The Cypher system is actually one I'm familiar with (from some podcasts) and I think this would be interesting.

Dwayne Clarkson
Name: Dwayne "Lark" Clarkson
Background:
Dwayne lived in Capital City pretty much all his life and certainly longer than he would have expected. But it was home. He was never the brightest or strongest, but he liked the people here and they liked him. He learned to drive here, pick up ladies here, and which places you could eat at where the food would taste great going down but you could count on it to come back up in a few hours. Home.

Very recently, Dwayne was barback and bouncer at a high end nightclub in Capital City. Seeing all the slime that both literally and figuratively slithered through the doors, he'd thought he'd seen it all until the girls at the club, his girls, started going missing, one at a time. He always cared for those around him and especially those that needed him so after the cops did nothing, he did something.

He looked into and found the culprit, some man with a long title and little regard for human life, and put an end to him. Dwayne lost his job as bouncer that day, but maybe found a new career and skills he didn't know he had, where he could potentially be of help. As a detective.

Powers:
This genre is so rich with wizards and such, I would want to do something different. I think an interesting power would be to either summon the power of the Elder Gods themselves (because why would you want them paying attention to you) or to be able to instinctively read patterns in people or situations and predict the outcome with certainty.

I'm not stuck on either of those and could be influenced to change them.

Thanks for the opportunity.
Old Aug 12th, 2021, 11:05 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba
Hey there Lightning Lad! Being new is no problem at all. It isn't obvious, but this is my second day on the site in... a long while. So I'm kinda new, too. So many names I don't recognize.

I can envision a multitude of ways to torture challenge Dwayne.
Old Aug 12th, 2021, 11:33 AM
Godqueen of RPGX

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 48198
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Mooz, you're killing me here. I don't have time for a game, but it's Cypher... and... and... and Moozuba is awesome, obviously.

EVERYONE should apply to this and make Mooz have to pick from a ton of applications.
Old Aug 12th, 2021, 11:42 AM
Supposed Gaming Goddess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8343
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by moozuba View Post
Hey there Lightning Lad! Being new is no problem at all. It isn't obvious, but this is my second day on the site in... a long while. So I'm kinda new, too. So many names I don't recognize.
Well, welcome back! And good luck with your game, too, I've no experience with Cypher so I'll probably be putting off applying myself.
Old Aug 12th, 2021, 03:03 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Aethera, how the heck are ya? I missed our talks. Sorry for going insane and disappearing... again. I'm on meds now! O_o

Marshmallow, thanks! And no worries. I'm hoping to engage with someone who's really excited about the premise. I read Gaiman's A Study in Emerald ages ago and it's been with me ever since. Then Cassandra Khaw's Hammers on Bone which also stuck with me. I think this noir-horror thing might be my sweet spot.
Old Aug 12th, 2021, 04:19 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 300
Lighting Lad Lighting Lad Lighting Lad Lighting Lad
Quote:
Originally Posted by moozuba View Post

I can envision a multitude of ways to torture challenge Dwayne.
Well, welcome back!

Lol. Thatís great to hear. Let the torture commence. I canít think of one good noir detective that isnít roughed up at least a few times in a book, so Iíd look forward to it.
Old Aug 12th, 2021, 07:45 PM
Godqueen of RPGX

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 48198
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
We've all sacrificed to the Elder Gods some portions of our shattered psyche, Mooz. You just have to hoard the shards you still possess. If I had the time to write with you, sheesh, I would totally jump at this. I've missed you, too! Someday, my friend, we will manage to find time.
Old Aug 12th, 2021, 11:37 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3675
Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus
I'm definitely interested and working on my app! I've never played Cypher before, but this looks fun.
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 09:11 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Aeth, the shards are few and sharp, but yes, I will drive them ever deeper until the tissue grows around them and we become one.

Hey Leviticus! I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 10:45 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31714
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Welcome back Moo!
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 05:53 PM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24922
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
I must admit I'm a bit torn Moo.

On the one tentacle, I love me some Mythos. On another tentacle, I'm a big fan of Cypher. But on the third tentacle I'm not sure I'd like a solo game - My PCs tend to be talkative. On another tentacle I guess I could play them more introspective or insane.

When did you want an application by?

Iš! Iš!
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 08:03 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Moonzar, hey hey! Good to see you.

wodine, totally up to you and your tentacles. I'm opting for a solo game for a few reasons, including a better understanding of my own aptitudes, and a tendency to create complex and involved NPCs. So a chatty PC won't be talking into a void, but if you prefer character-to-character interaction, that's totally understandable.

Timeline is... blark... no idea. Suffice to say, you've got time. I'm in no rush. Took me what feels like a lifetime to get up the courage (and sanity) to come back, so I'm not going to spoil it by being over eager.
Old Aug 22nd, 2021, 02:17 AM
A is for ASSKICKING!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11886
XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor
Holy Hell, good to see you still kicking around here
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 02:40 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Hey XQ! How ya been?

I'm not sure I'm kicking so much as spasming a wee bit, but it does feel nice to be haunting these halls once again.