RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Aug 26th, 2021, 12:25 AM
The Midnight Fairy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32905
Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena
O.o
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 01:29 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3675
Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus
Francis (Frank) O'Keeffe
right-aligned image

Character name: Francis (Frank) O’Keeffe
Background: From his earliest memories there was always Madame’s; a fairly prominent brothel in the heart of Capital City. A few of the working ladies looked after Francis as a young boy, gave him a place to stay off the streets; at least until he was old enough to run in ‘em. He did his time in a street gang or two, but there was always a place for him at M’s. A home, of sorts.

It wasn’t until a conversation Frank had with the 3rd Madame - the proprietor of the establishment - literally i.e. after she had diedon her death bed that he learned why he was given special treatment. Apparently a deal had been struck between the 2nd Madame and a senator, resulting in a The slaying of Frank’s family, among others.clearing of the way for one of the “Great Ones” beneficent plans. That had riled him. Not for immediate action. More of a slow burn in the direction of the elder gods. Something in the background. Something to push against.

It had been ten years now since he had been back home. He owe’d them a visit, but he’d been busy in his own right; making a life for himself as best he could. Surviving, like everyone else in this roiling cesspool of a city. Frank had become a type of information broker. His “gift” allowed him to find out things from the recently deceased, some of which he could turn for a profit with a little elbow grease and investigation.

Joining the force didn’t occur to Frank until a recent conversation he’d had with a cop that had been shot in the back of the head in an alleyway. The cop wasn’t always crooked, apparently. The ramblings of a deadman allowed Francis to glimpse the possibility of using his “gift” toward something that might actually help some folks, and in the process, move him toward a distant confrontation with those pulling the strings of Capital City for the Elders.

Powers: Telepath of the dead. The more recent the corpse, the more intricate the conversation if the recently deceased felt like talking. Francis is no expert, but experience has suggested a few constants.
  • The closer the conversation occurs to the time of death, the more possible it is to have one. Minutes. Hours. The clock’s ticking. Most attempts past 20 hours usually yield unclear or unusable information. Much longer than a day and the deceased appear to have fallen asleep, or at least not be in a talkative mood.
  • Frank does not seem to have any inherent “power” over the dead. Some of the recently deceased want to share secrets, others want to misdirect. They can be vindictive, of course, making it challenging to know their true intentions. Probably also has something to do with how they died or their inherent character.
  • The telepathic link - if that’s what it is - allows Frank to both see the body as dead and unmoving, just like anyone else, while also seeing the recently deceased’s If their face wasn’t injured in their passing.natural looking facial expressions and hear their speech as if they were still alive and not a stone dead corpse on the floor.
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 10:35 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 43206
moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba
Very cool concept, Leviticus!

Sorry it took me so long to reply. Things have been CA-RAY-ZEE with the kids starting school after being at home all last year.
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 11:58 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3675
Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus
Thank you, mooz! It was fun trying to come up with something to fit this world.

I definitely borrowed a few ideas from Necroscope. It's been a while since I read that novel, but it was a good one.
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 09:27 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30850
Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath Gath
Name: Linus Swank
Concept: Hardy Adept Who Focuses Mind Over Matter
Nationality: American
Sex: Male
Birthplace: San Francisco, California
Colleges, Degrees: Bachelor of Archeology with Anthropology minor, Columbia University, 1924; Doctor of Medicine, Capital University

Description: Always well dressed, Linus has short black hair with streaks of gray along the temples. Fair skinned, clean shaven, green eyes. Wears a platinum ring on his left thumb and pinky and a number of amulets and talismans around his neck. All tastefully displayed in sort of a cascading effect.

Last edited by Gath; Sep 9th, 2021 at 01:13 AM.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 11:30 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba moozuba
Heya Gath! Fantastic write-up for the good doctor.

It's been about a month since I posted this, so I figure I ought to start thinking about kicking this old tin can on down the road.

Notice to any lurkers: decision-making imminent. If you've got a hat you intend to throw, this'd be the time.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 01:19 PM
The Midnight Fairy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32905
Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena
I value my hats too much to throw them, but I'm glad to see you're still about, Mooz.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 02:05 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks, Humble! I'm more re-about than "still" about, but it's good to be bopping around ye olde forums again.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 02:51 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
Cthulhu and Cypher are my top two favorite systems, so to see them both paired up is too good to be true!

I was wondering if you are going to be limiting the mechanics to the core Cypher Rulebook, or if you would be open to applying Numenera, Destiny, or Discovery as source material for character creation. Or even exploring The Strange as source material, which might be fitting considering the context of this game setting.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 03:04 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Gath, I don't really have any limitations as far as source material goes. I should mention, though, that I'm preeeeetty rusty when it comes to tabletop RPG mechanics. My local group fell apart a few years ago and the last PBP game I played was with Cypher. I thought it worked well because the players didn't have to wait for the GM/DM/Narrator to make dice rolls to determine results for things they wanted to do.

So... in terms of source stuff, go nuts... whatever best suits your character. If a character gets too powerful, I just ratchet up the enemy power to challenge them.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 06:00 PM
Read It With A Smile!

Tools
User Statistics
I hear you.

I would say that for me it isn't about power level, it is about flavor and options. Cypher is Cypher, and Numenera and Strange are just extensions of Cypher. It is the same core mechanic, but different flavor material. And maybe core Cypher is more appropriate for the 1950s setting, and there is also quite a bit to be said for keeping it simple. I just was asking your thoughts.

I also agree that the simplicity of the system is profound. Having all rolls fall into the lap of the players is mind blowing. I've been running a Cypher game for my family that started with No Thank You, Evil, a kid's version of Cypher, which we graduated into a more adult version in Monte Cook's famed Ptolus setting and it has been incredible to delegate all the rolls. Though I am running it, my brother is coDMing and we are sampling from Numenera books as well as Cypher core book, so I think there is some relevance. We've taken a break for fishing season and my brother moving into a new house, so our delve into Ptolus has been minimal, but exciting.

Cthuhlu setting with Cypher mechanics would be awesome, though. And I am super stoked about the idea. I was in an epic Cthulhu game off and on for nearly ten years on site here. And my friend ran a table-top-turned-zoom Numenera game from 2018-2020 that got crazy sci-fi. It was all freeform rp and I couldn't get enough.

All that said, I haven't memorized all the rules. They are there to be referenced, the main goal is to build the story, in my opinion. I see Linus as a 50 year old paranormal enthusiast who is on the cusp of heading up his own private detective business that focuses on paranormal. His goals include living harmoniously with the aliens so that they don't eat him or his friends, but also continuing to look for ways to send them back into the ocean. It's a lengthy writeup, but it really is just a beginning.
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 01:19 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Apps closed and what-not. Decision imminenteventually. If this advert thread hasn't imparted the realization that my posting rate will be sporadic and irregular, please do take note of that now. Much like technology, my work is cyclical and my reasoning centers malfunction when wet.

Thank you for applying, everyone!