RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Aug 31st, 2021, 11:22 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1093
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Sorry not on Discord at present. Can we work by PM on here? I will finish my application and wait for your judgement. I will keep reading and I do think I am getting some sort of a grip but it is still complex, even if simpler than 1e. Let me know how the application is going. What do you need to know that I have not covered?

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.

Last edited by DebiRedHair; Aug 31st, 2021 at 11:32 AM.
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 01:37 PM
LͫOͤRͫDͤ

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4712
Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebiRedHair View Post
Sorry not on Discord at present. Can we work by PM on here? I will finish my application and wait for your judgement. I will keep reading and I do think I am getting some sort of a grip but it is still complex, even if simpler than 1e. Let me know how the application is going. What do you need to know that I have not covered?
We can definitely work via PMs, no worries! So far so good, I expect that working through stuff will help flesh out any other details as well.
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 04:41 PM
The Midnight Fairy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32905
Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena
Name: Jaspex / Jamison / Janelle Crowne
Classes: Rogue // Investigator
Archetypes: Whichever ones you picked out
Ancestry: Human
Heritage: Tiefling
Background: Street Urchin

Last edited by Humble Athena; Sep 19th, 2021 at 12:53 AM.
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 05:34 PM
LͫOͤRͫDͤ

Tools
User Statistics
Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus
@Everyone:
RELICS!
I was debating if I was going to wait to say this after we started, but realizing it can drastically affect character choices....

Everyone gets 1 item that is also a relic

Importantly, any item that is used as this relic will be at a 50% discount off the final, total cost!!!!

Now, how do relics work?

At this level you get 2 minor abilities, 1 major ability. You can mix and match freely from any TWO sets of gifts. These will be the gift options you are permanently locked into.

These abilities will be in addition to the base traits of the relic (be it a weapon, armor, or other item) but must be compatible (some abilities specify they are weapon only, for example).

Last edited by Alphaeus; Aug 31st, 2021 at 05:35 PM.
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 06:53 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2575
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Name: Ural the Browl
Classes: Rogue (thief)/Fighter
Archetypes: Dual Weapon Warrior
Ancestry: Dwarf
Heritage: Skeptic
Background: Laborer
Character Art: Request permission to skip this; I don't find it fun.

Personality/Appearance: Wears simple leather armor and often carries a clan dagger and a normal dagger on his belt. Has light brown eyes, hair, and skin, including a short and neatly-trimmed beard. Slightly taller and thinner than other dwarves. His dwarven nature causes him to be lacking somewhat in strong persona, so he tries not to draw attention to himself. This also helps him hide in the shadows and steal small items, but he has largely stopped doing that as he grows increasingly aware of how every small crime begets more crimes by others.

Character Background: Was born and raised in the Meadows, and starting working at an early age. Learned to steal small things in order to survive...his parents implied that it was part of the job. The rough nature of life there also taught him to handle himself in a fight, and to take advantage of gaps in an opponent's defense. As he grew up, he became more aware of things which most people simply overlook-things which are slowly pushing him towards a desire to reform the city, or at least his own block.

Reason for adventuring: The Meadows were once quaint villages with charming people. Now they are a slum with unpleasant people. The city turns people evil, or at least brings their bad side to the front. He wants to fix this.

Other notes: I don't quite know how dual class and free archetype works. Do you get feats for both classes, or only one class feat every two levels but the abilities of both classes? Does free archetype mean that I don't have to pay class feats to gain archetype abilities? This might be an optional rule from a book I don't own.

Last edited by Ericg1s; Aug 31st, 2021 at 06:53 PM.
Old Sep 1st, 2021, 12:25 PM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Pandaemonic
left-aligned image

Name: Aria, The Beggar Queen
Classes: Class Feats: Dread Striker, Gang-up, Mobility, Opportunist Backstab, Trap FinderRogue (Thief) || Feats: Cackle, Greater Lesson (Shadow), Hexed Locks, Living HairWitch(Curse)
Archetypes: Feats: Disciple of Shade, Shadowcaster Dedication

The level 4 feat is problematic. Both options offer features I already have through witch. A Familiar or access to a bunch of occult spells. By preference I'd get the Enhanced Familiar even though it is usually a level 6 option. A lot of other Familiar granting feats seem to work this way.

Or I might just drop this entirely and go with Scout for added mobility.
Shadowcaster / Feats: Shadowdancer DedicationShadowdancer
Ancestry: Feats: Energize Wings, Evanescent Wings, Sprite's Spark Sprite
Heritage: Beastkin variant heritage would be better if allowed to ignore the humanoid requirement. Mostly cause the idea of a tiny faeire turning into a large werebeast at level 13 sounds amusing me. Not vital though.Pixie
Background: A minor Faerie Queen of the Winter Court.
Carries rank of Baroness in Faerthal's court. Even if her barony is just a hill.
Royalty

Chaotic NeutralPersonality: A faeries heart beats fierce and free.

He'll be coming and going" he had said. "One day you'll see him and another you won't. He doesn't like being tied down--and of course he has other countries to attend to. It's quite all right. He'll often drop in. Only you mustn't press him. He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion.

Okay, yeah, put something more useful than disjointed quotes here.

Appearance: Oh so pretty. I feel pretty and witty and gay. And I pity. Any girl who isn't me today.

Okay, so yeah, this bit is a todo as well. See pic.

History: Aria is old enough to remember a time before the cathedral was built in Gloomchapel; when it was a real town by another name and not a forgotten suburb of the expanding Faerthal. Her capital, a hilltop grove at the centre of the burial grounds, sits on top of a rift to the First World that opens once a year on the winter solstice. A land of eternal night and malicious fae.

From here Aria rules a smattering of faerie folk across the city. A position she inherited from her mother about three hundred years ago. It is a troubled head that wears the crown. The industrialization over the last century having destroyed many of the fey's natural habitats and the pollution makes for unhappy sprites. The dryads in the grove spend most of their time sleeping these days and their trees show signs of decay.

This generation of Faerthal's nobility have long forgotten -- or at least pretend to have forgotten -- the ancients pacts made by the first settlers with the fey who were already here when it was but a fishing village. Aria's attempts to call in old favours to aid her people were rebuffed. So insistent had she become that she was ridiculed as the Beggar Queen.

Someone should have told them the old stories and taught them how unwise it was. For the past few years she has been waging a one woman war of malicious pranks and grand thefts on the nobility. Her ill-gotten going to those who do honour the old bargains. And the beggars, for she took her name and embraced it.
Old Sep 2nd, 2021, 12:04 AM
LͫOͤRͫDͤ

Tools
User Statistics
@Ericg1s

1) You progress both classes at full speed. Dual Class Rules Here

2) Free archetypes grant you archetype feat slots for free, yes. You can still swap out additional class feat slots voluntarily. Free Archetype Rules here

Last edited by Alphaeus; Sep 4th, 2021 at 09:26 AM.
Old Sep 2nd, 2021, 02:08 AM
LͫOͤRͫDͤ

Tools
User Statistics
@everyone:

Failed to note this, but we will have standard gold for the level -- 1600 gp. No restrictions on how this is spent.
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 04:10 AM
Nanomachines, Son!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2314
Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek Solid Snek
WIP
left-aligned image
Name: Daoshi Cao Jie
Alter Ego: The Blood-blind Ghost
Classes: Swashbuckler (Braggart) // Oracle (Tempest Mystery)
Archetypes: Vigilante
Ancestry: Tengu
Heritage: Stormtossed
Background: Raised by Belief

Personality/Appearance: Cao Jie is an old kenku, with greyed feathers and cloudy silver eyes whose edges have crinkled from laughter lines. Despite having a hooked beak, she always appears like she is on the verge of smiling. She dresses in purple, blue, or red ceremonial robes, replete with religious paraphernalia fitting of a priestess in service of Hei Feng. No matter how much time Cao Jie spends dressing and preening, her clothes and feathers always appear windswept and disheveled. Those that attend the shrine she caretakes for know Cao Jie as kind and witty, soft-spoken but equally charismatic, and extremely well-read. Her interest lie far and beyond the purview of a priest, and extend to almost all areas of academia.

When in the guise of the Blood-blind ghost, Cao Jie wears dark blue and grey clothes that cling a little tighter than her ceremonial robes, and offer a little more protection. She also wears a crimson headscarf around her eyes that miraculously refuses to impede her vision, as well as a metal beak mask that casts doubt onto her Tengu ancestry. All of her clothes are designed to cover skin and feather alike, and capture any stray feathers that are dislodged, to avoid leaving any evidence that would narrow down her identity.

While acting as the dutiful priest, Cao Jie has a playful, mischievous streak. She adores idle conversation, philosophical debate, and all the like... but she also loves being contrarian, and picking whatever side of a debate is opposed to the ideals or beliefs of the person she is speaking to. She enjoys needling others with wordplay and convoluted trains of thought, not because she likes seeing others squirm but because she finds it genuinely fascinating to challenge another person's beliefs and watch them undergo an internal debate and a mental metamorphosis. She welcomes everyone to the shrine she caretakes, even those who despise Hei Feng, and encourages their visitation so long as they do not attempt to damage or deface the shrine in some way.

While in the guise of the Blood-blind Ghost, Cao Jie's prodding and cunning nature becomes antagonistic and cruel. She plays off of psychological blind spots and human (or dwarven, or elven, or...) nature. She wields the carelessness, fear, and doubt of others like a weapon, sneaking into "secure" areas and taking whatever she pleases. While violence is often low on her list of priorities, when necessary, Jie will use terror and brutality as a method of inspiring absolute terror in her prey or their bodyguards. In following Hei Feng's whims, the Blood-blind Ghost often acts in a manner that seems unpredictable or capricious to others... and sometimes even to Jie herself.

Character Background: Cao Jie is the daughter of a pair of religious figures who immigrated to Faerthal decades ago. Her entire life has been spent at the temple, while her mother and father practiced religious rites and adamantly connected the Tengu of Faerthal to their ancestral roots. With every passing year, more and more Tengu shy away from the practices of old, but the priests and priestesses do all they can to keep the old ways alive.

It was no surprise when Jie picked up the mantle of her parents. Like many Tengu, she also relishes in the culture and knowledge of other races, even if she does not mix their practices with those of the old Tengu. Jie grew up in Faerthal, where both diversity and technology blossom, and has integrated its lessons and ideals into her life. This voraciousness for "outside" information has lead to Jie inviting non-Tengu to the temple for both conversation and/or worship of Hei Feng; She genuinely sees no reason elves, humans, dwarves, and others cannot find enlightenment from Tengu ways, and vice versa.

This approach has ruffled the feathers (quite literally) of older Tengu in the community, but is at the very least seen as admirable by the non-Tengu at large.

For decades, Jie was a priestess and nothing more, running the Hei Feng temple as she saw fit and building up the community. She faced many crises in her time, but she was driven to hopelessness only when a group of criminals broke into the main building and stole a prized artifact. Distraught over her failure as a caretaker, Jie pleaded to Hei Feng for guidance... and was promptly struck by lightning.

She survived, and as the electricity cackled through the Tengu's veins, she received a vision of the culprits and where they had taken the artifact. Perceiving this as only possible via divine will, Jie interpreted the bolt of lightning as a call to action... perhaps even action one might consider extreme. The Storm God had chosen her, and by subjecting her to a sudden, painful lesson. Perhaps her task was to inflict such lessons on Hei Feng's enemies...

The criminals were found the morning of the next day, each with several broken bones and terrible memories of a beak-masked ghost in a crimson scarf, and the legend of the Blood-blind Ghost was born.

~ Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Solid Snek; Sep 9th, 2021 at 03:01 AM.
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 08:55 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 142
Crazymajor Crazymajor
Hey! Completely new to Pf-2e, and this site in general, but I'd love a chance to pop in my own application. I have an idea for a character at the moment, but with it comes a question regarding a class.

I know you've been suggesting Archives of Nethys to be used as an SRD to help with character creation, but I've run into a different SRD website that has a class I'm interested in listed, but that is not available on Nethys; Theian Gladiator. Would this be alright? Or would you prefer only things available on Nethys.
Old Sep 5th, 2021, 01:54 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 467
gwythion gwythion gwythion gwythion gwythion
Alastair
left-aligned image
Name: Alastair Pecheur
Classes: Magus // Sorcerer (Phoenix)
Archetypes: Barbarian (Giant)/Sentinel
Ancestry: Human
Heritage: Versatile
Background: Noble

Personality/Appearance: A tall, muscular young man, well dressed in fine clothing. He has a friendly air, and can talk comfortably to anybody, from any level of society, without arrogance. He seems to enjoy socializing for its own sake, meandering the city aimlessly most days, exploring and meeting new people. But under the gregarious surface there is an intensity, of suppressed energy and contained rage; a subtle sense of danger and lack of fear.

Dislikes: Snobs, rudeness, others' suffering, routine

Character Background: Alastair had a normal, sheltered childhood in Elmcrossing, son of one of the oldest families (who pride themselves that their name is "Fisher" in the old tongue of the natives). But as he got older, he got bored of the life of luxury, where the only surprises were trivialities of high society.

He was expected to enroll in an academy, magic or war, and he decided to pursue both. He received an excellent education in war magic, and learning to do magic formally clued him in to a gift that he had for doing magic based on instinct. He taught himself to use his innate power, and found it could express itself in might as well as magic.

He made a study of his own bloodline, tracing it back to the original fisherfolk, but also to more exotic branches – a celestial who fell in love with a heroic paladin, leaving a daughter behind before they both went off to Elysium, he later discovered that a weapon of celestial fire had been handed down from generation to generation until at some point it was forgotten; but he found it, and wields it now. He found an account of a phoenix who gave the gift of fire and life to another ancestor, a reward for freeing her from imprisonment by a mad wizard; and even a giantess, whose stories were suppressed by the family and not fit for polite company.

In due course he graduated, and found himself just as bored as before, but now with powerful gifts for war. But there was no war, it's been a long time since the city called on its nobles to send armed sons to fight for it, so he started exploring, and adventuring. He met lots of new people, which he loved, and went on all manner of different expeditions, exploring here and there; an adventuring dilettante.

He wouldn't deny being an aimless layabout. But he loves his city, and would gladly face any threat to it, so he answered the call.

Last edited by gwythion; Sep 17th, 2021 at 12:13 AM.
Old Sep 5th, 2021, 04:49 AM
LͫOͤRͫDͤ

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymajor View Post
Hey! Completely new to Pf-2e, and this site in general, but I'd love a chance to pop in my own application. I have an idea for a character at the moment, but with it comes a question regarding a class.

I know you've been suggesting Archives of Nethys to be used as an SRD to help with character creation, but I've run into a different SRD website that has a class I'm interested in listed, but that is not available on Nethys; Theian Gladiator. Would this be alright? Or would you prefer only things available on Nethys.
D20pfsrd includes first-party and third-party content together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The bottom of the class page you sent
Lands of Theia (PF2) . © 2020, Samurai Sheepdog
So what you're looking at isn't an official class, but rather a third-party release. So unfortunately no, that will not work. I recommend Nethys because no matter what you find you'll know it's actually Paizo (pathfinder publisher) material.
Old Sep 5th, 2021, 11:27 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Crazymajor Crazymajor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaeus View Post
So what you're looking at isn't an official class, but rather a third-party release. So unfortunately no, that will not work. I recommend Nethys because no matter what you find you'll know it's actually Paizo (pathfinder publisher) material.
Alright, understandable. Thank you. I'll look into other classes then.
Old Sep 5th, 2021, 11:12 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Crazymajor Crazymajor
Garrok Crodd
left-aligned image

Name: Garrok "The Black Bull" Crodd
Classes: Fighter // Ranger (Flurry)
Archetypes: Barbarian (Dragon) / Gladiator
Ancestry: Orc
Heritage: Hold-Scarred Orc
Background: Gladiator

Personality/Appearance: A stockily built, aged orc, reaching the end of his 50s, but no less fearsome for it. A thick, but short, salt and peppered beard lined his broad, jutted jaw decorated by two large tusks. One of which was badly chipped. And across his dark completion, further decorations of past battles decorated his flesh as it should for all worthy orcs, some appearing more gruesome than others.

While he is yet no crippled elder, the fact that his prime has long since passed, and with it, his famed, glorious days in the fighting pits, is no secret. Garrok will be forever a fighter, quick to seek the adoration of the people. That will certainly never change. But, with his age, the older orc has humbled, becoming far more content with the simplicities of life. He drinks heartily and often with the people and is always eager for another game or challenge.

Character Background: Like many orcs, Garrok's clan was one of war, and blood, and death. Often venturing out in raiding parties to reck no end of chaos in rival's lands, and even, the occasional unfortunate lording. It was in one of these raids, at the age of only six and ten, that Garrok would be captured by the fiefdom's defenders. It had been unexpected, but a great many knights had ridden the band of orcs down before they'd ever made it to the first village, catching them by surprise. As if they'd known they were coming from the very beginning.

Now a prisoner, Garrok would be sold off to the arena, to serve in the bloody pits as penance for his crimes, and, were he capable enough, earn his freedom by entertaining the masses. This is where Garrok Crodd would make his mark as more than a savage raider.

Four years, he spilled blood. Four years, he spent killing under the guise of entertaining. Four years, the masses cheered him on. And after four years, Garrok had finally earned his freedom, and his former master - much gold. It was all he sought, all he fought for. And with what little possessions remained to him, he ventured out into the wide, strange world. Yet, days would pass and Garrok quickly realized he didn't rightly know what to do. He had nothing to his name, knew nothing of the world outside of that grand colosseum. Out here, on his own, he was absolutely no one, nothing. Not like in the pit...

The following evening, the colosseum sprang to life once more as men and women packed its seats, and merchants hawked their wares in the stands. All waiting with bated breath for the next showing. And so when Garrok stepped through that portcullis and into the light a wash of silence fell over the colosseum for a heartbeat before suddenly exploding a cacophony of roars, chants, and cheers. Spectators jumped from their seats and looked on in shock and awe as Garrok returned a free man to paint the sands in red once more, and he relished in it! Nothing felt more exhilarating than performing before such a crowd, to hear the people chant his name, to know that they were all praising him. There was no better fight than one fought before a crowd.

This was where Garrok's career truly began as his name became known far and wide across tournaments and arenas all over the continent. The signature black steel, bull's head helmet he wore eventually gaining him the moniker - The Black Bull! And so, the name was chanted everywhere he went in his travels, winning both tourneys and championships. For those who cared for the fighting sport, he was nothing less than famed.

It obviously could not last forever, however. Time would catch up to Garrok, and years of fighting wore down on his body. Younger, stronger, faster fighters of a new age would rise to the challenge. New names and reputations would be forged, and so Garrok's time in the spotlight was fleeting as better men replaced him, taking the titles he once held. He was past his prime, and there would always be fresher, more eager fighters to come, he knew.

It was time to hang up the helmet, to settle down. An unusual thing for an orc, but Garrok had faced twice as many battles as any other orc and lived on. He believed himself deserving of some rest, at least. With whatever remained of his past winnings, Garrok found himself a place in the city of Faerthal.

For the following few years, Garrok would live out in a small place in the Cat Bowl; the outskirts of the city. There he enjoyed the open space and fit in well with the local, rougher sorts that lived in the fields. Of course, his reputation would make him a recognized face in the city, but after a few years such things would eventually die down as his former days of fame and fortune slipped farther into the past.

His skills as a fighter had him well suited to making a simple living hunting and taking on the odd jobs to aid the locals from both the usual beasts and the rare monster that would pester their fields and livestock. His desire to return to the arena, to perform for an audience, to hear his name chanted again would never leave him, however. It could never leave him. So, now and then, the name 'The Black Bull' might once again find itself in the listings of local competitions, or, if he desired for something a bit more bloody and perhaps some extra coin on the side, the occasional underground fighting pit. Regardless, he continues to live a relatively peaceful life day to day. Daydreaming of the good old days.

Last edited by Crazymajor; Sep 6th, 2021 at 10:41 AM.
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 06:44 AM
Not a gnome

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1296
Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin
Character Application

DetailsName: Rask
Ancestry: Orc (Hold-Scarred)
Background: Amnesiac
Classes: Magus (twisting tree) / Monk
Archetypes: Cathartic Mage (Anger)

AppearanceIntricate woad tattoos swirl over the entirety of Rask’s mountainous frame, staining his skin a deep mottled blue. Only his face is left untouched - a stoic visage carved from granite skin with deep-set red eyes and a jutting pair of crooked tusks. Despite his size and fearsome appearance, he moves with practiced care, possessing a stillness of body that belies his true speed. He hates feeling restrained, so he tears the sleeves from most of his shirts, dawning a weathered gray cloak, its hood often pulled low over his bald scalp. One massive hand is usually clutching a gnarled walking stick, a seven foot long length of pale wood, red leaves sprouting from its knotted head.

In combat, the veneer of calm is shattered, and he moves with all the speed of a tumbling boulder. He typically dawns his warmask in anticipation of a fight, smearing white lines of paint in a grizzly face that completes his tattoos. The watchful calm in his eye fades, replaced with smoldering rage, his mouth twisting into a pained snarl. As his temper builds, his tattoos surge into life, undulating and coiling together of their own accord and glowing with unnatural light in response to magic. When the dust clears, he’s left trembling, which he often soothes by chewing the leaves from his staff or brewing them into a stout tea.

PersonalityRask is relentlessly determined to unravel the mysteries about his past and to unlock the magic secrets etched in his skin. Possessed of a keen intellect and a curious mind, he’s an avid reader and researcher, eager to absorb what he can about the world. He’s spent countless hours on magic specifically, learning to decipher and eventually cast the spells etched in his skin. Haunted by the torture he endured, Rask’s temper is monumental, prompting him to lash out violently when unchecked, and in extreme cases, to surge with uncontrollable, destructive magic.

Rask’s saving grace is Esther; the eccentric old woman is everything to him. her bewildering insistence that he is her son has given him the only home he can remember. The quiet of her garden, the mundane satisfaction in working around her house, and the unconditional acceptance she offered were a world apart from the pounding, chaotic noise of Rask’s life. He found calm there. Now he mostly enjoys a quiet existence living with Esther, tending her garden, drinking tea and listening to her tell bizarre stories. The mysterious invitation threatens that peace, but Rask smells a greater threat, and has come to realize that he’s not going to learn more about where he came from in the comfort of home. And so, with great trepidation and great determination alike, Rask is accepting the invitation.

Thanks for the patience with the long backstory. I like a lot of details for this sort of thing, but let me know if you want a TL;DR.

History

[fieldset=Additional Information]

Last edited by Vicorin; Sep 9th, 2021 at 11:57 AM.