Other Avengers of Arcade City (FASERIP SuperHeroes) - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Sep 8th, 2021, 02:13 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 300
Lighting Lad Lighting Lad Lighting Lad Lighting Lad
I'll use a character concept i started for another game that never took off.
Very interested.
Mark “Wyvern” Cole
NAME: Mark Cole
ALIAS: Wyvern
SECRET?: Yes
DESCRIPTION: 23, African American, Casual Clothing. Brown eyes. Black hair, cut close.

Costume appears on him like armor (power rangers/Dark Hawk style). It's a rich dark brown with red highlights and a helmet that covers his face. The helmet has a glowing red visor. Covers his whole body.

Mark is an all around good guy. He's caring to his friends, warm to strangers and always willing to help out. Sometimes he gives too much of himself, sometimes has time prioritizing issues, but what are you going to do? He's 15. He's affable, tries a little too hard to be witty and can take and give a joke as good as anyone else.

But truly, he loves to read and play games with his friends. Definitely an extroverted introvert.

SKILLS AND POWERS: Mark's powers are to essentially don a suit of powered armor (kind of like Dark Hawk or a Power Ranger) to increase his strength, speed and give him the ability to make telekinetic or energy constructs.

ORIGIN STORY: Mark was driving back into the city at night when he saw a meteor streak across the night sky and hit the ground. Going to investigate, where he thinks there should be a large smoking crater, there’s only a dragon like creature made of light. At seemingly attacks him and disappears.

Over the next few days he feels alternately sick and better than he’s ever been, also strange things begin to happen around him.

BACKSTORY: Mark has always lived in the city and his parents have before that. He's traveled a little with them, seen some sights and wonders but his home is the city. Growing up here, he's built some friend groups and always enjoys going to the movies with them and having a good time. Lately, those relationships have been strained, due to his burgeoning super hero career.

Although he's generally well liked, he's not immune to the crime in the city and that's when his powers first arose. Returning home, he and a friend were mugged. Although he doesn't have any money, the mugger tried to man handle Mark's wallet from him. Mark, feeling some rage at this, tried as hard as he could to fight back and if the man couldn't touch him, he felt he'd be safe. And that's what he did. Grabbing the man's arm, he felt a gout of power explode from inside him and surge to the man's arm. Breaking it baddly. It was a surprside for everyone there, although almost inexplicable to the mugger and Marks friend, he knew immediatly that he did it, could do it again, and could do more. And felt terrible for hurting the guy this badly.

He went home immediately, and being close to his parents, told them. They revealed that they too had some small psychic power and in the months after trained and taught him how to use it. He quickly learned however that his power was much greater than theirs. He could see it in the looks on their faces with some of the stunts he pulled with the powers, and with some of the explosive and dangerous consequences.

He continues to use them because expressing the powers feels good, great in fact. And because he knows with the right training, he can do so much good in the world.

CONTACTS: Mayor Wim Villanova. His friend and mentor. As an intern and aide to Villanova, they’ve spent plenty of time together. The way the job is set up, he’s given plenty of freedom and opportunity for initiative, which allows him to disappear for a while. Over their time together, Mark has learned a lot from Wim about giving back, putting your head down and doing the work, and some good folksy life stories.

Last edited by Lighting Lad; Sep 8th, 2021 at 02:58 PM.
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 03:53 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1673
Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon
I'm always up for a superhero game.

ApplicationNAME: Derik Jones
ALIAS: The Skull
DESCRIPTION: Derik is a well-built square jawed Caucasian man with short blonde hair and blue eyes. The Skull is dressed in black and grey from head to toe, except for a white skull face mask. He wears combat boots and a bullet proof vest along with a hooded cape. Red contact lenses a skull shaped belt buckle and two semi-automatic pistols complete his gear.

In his everyday life, Derik is rather taciturn and antisocial. He tried to keep to himself as much as he can, and keep a low profile. His quest for justice occupies all of his time, to the point of forgoing any kind of social life.

As The Skull, he is cold and without mercy towards the criminals that he fights. His modus operandi is to inflict fear into the heart of criminals in order to give himself an edge in the fight.
If someone was to have a conversation with Derik, they wouldn’t need to be a psychologist to figure that he is emotionally stunted and doesn’t experience the full range of human emotions, most likely due to some traumatic experience in his past.

SKILLS AND POWERS: The Skull is an expert marksman with his twin pistols as well as an efficient hand to hand combatant and he is skilled in infiltration. He also possesses minor regenerative powers.

ORIGIN STORY/ BACKSTORY: Derik realized he was special the day he died. As a member of ACPD SWAT, he had no illusion about the corruption in the department, but he never thought that his own teammates would go as far as to kill him to prevent him from testifying about it. It looked like a regular intervention, A man with a gun barricaded himself in the office of the harbormaster. SWAT breached the office and neutralized the suspect with nonlethal means. But as Derik was clearing the rest of the room, he heard a gunshot. He turned to see one of his team mates had executed the suspect. Another one of his teammates had the suspects weapon in hand and was pointing it at Derik;” Sorry man, we told you to keep your mouth shut about the missing drugs, but you just had to go and talk to Internal Affairs”. Before Derik could react, his teammate pulled the trigger on the shotgun. The blast hit Derik in the chest like a freight train and pushed him out of the third-floor window that was to his back, making him fall all the way into the dark harbor waters.

When Derik regain consciousness, he had washed ashore several miles away from Arcade City. Having drowned and come back to life changed him, he didn’t quite understand how it was possible, he was sure he had died, but there he was alive and even the bruises from the shotgun blast beneath his bulletproof vest had started the heal. The experience had also changed him mentally, from then on, he was in vengeance mode and would know no rest until he got rid of all the rotten apples in the ACPD and their criminal associates.

In order to keep the fact that he was still alive, a secret, Derik created the alter ego of The Skull and he started making his way up the food chain of the criminal underworld of Arcade City.

CONTACTS: Mathew Smith is a detective with the ACPD Internal Affaires division. Derik and him know each other since their academy days and graduated as patrol officers together. Mathew was the one who convinced Derik to testify against his teammates who where stealing drugs from the evidence storage room and he is the only person who knows that Derick is still alive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Skull.bmp
Views:	10
Size:	465.1 KB
ID:	92423  

You got me once! But you won't get me twice, Finrod the sneaky!
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 04:06 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 135
Vesper Vesper
Switching to my first idea, prehensile hair.
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 07:54 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1216
EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae
Going into the well here, let's see what old bits of madness I can pull out.

ApplicationNAME: Amanda "The Axe" Moranas
ALIAS: The Shaytan
DESCRIPTION: Amanda looks fairly unassuming at first. Piercing blue eyes and long black hair typically in a ponytail, a well muscled frame hidden under typical street clothing, a slender build for the age of 33, kept that way by a diet of cheep scotch and cigarettes. On work days, she tries to dress a little nicer, seing as she is the owner of a bar (though that's mainly so the functioning alcoholic can drink on the job without anyone else yelling at her.)

As The Shaytan, she usually wears a black oversized hoodie and matching bike shorts, with athletic tape on her hands and feet, with a smear of black greaspaint across her eyes to act as a sort of mask.

SKILLS AND POWERS: Martial arts nut, skilled in combat, some level of mental instability. Seemingly uncanny strength and endurance levels.

ORIGIN / BACKSTORY: Amanda Moranas is the daughter of one of Arcade City's greatest underground fighters, Tommy "The Mauler" Moranas. With her mother leaving them when she was only two, Amanda grew up at her dad's side, learning to fight from him and acting as his doctor and manager at times when she hit her teens. Needless to say, this sort of life would eventually lead to misfortune, and when she was 17 she saw her father beaten into a coma.

With no way to pay for his hospital bills, Amanda was forced to take her father's place in the fights, earning the nickname "The Axe" for her knack of taking down much larger opponents. She went after the biggest purses she could get, pushing her body to the absolute limit to take care of her father. Her last match was one of much scandal, as she was offered by Antonio Andragathía (one of the lesser sons of the family) a large sum to throw it. However, while she did loose, Amanda made the fight look too good and took too long for the anxious "Tony Shakes", who pulled the cord on her father's life support in an ill-advised move. The Family would cover his funeral as a meager way of apology.

Broken from her father's death, Amanda took the massive wad of cash she had earned and retired. By now she was 22, and needed a real job. Sadly she also drowned out her pain in the bottle, and kept getting fired for various drunken reasons, including a few brutal fights, one of which got her a few years in prison. Once she got out, she used the last of her fight money to buy a failing bar in the worst part of town, naming it Tommy's Place after her father and tried to go legit. But prison and working as her own bouncer kept her skills sharp, and things would not stay quiet for long. It was about a year ago when a group of Middle Eastern toughs, trying to carve out what they could in a part of Arcade City that the Andragathia's were seemingly ignoring, showed up in her neighborhood.

Tommy's Place was the last one in the area that wouldn't pay the thug's protection money, so the group showed up to try and burn the bar down. Tried being the operative word. Amanda was sick of seeing her neighbors, just simple people trying to live their lives being threatened by lowlifes, and trying to take the last little piece of her father's life and legacy to her was a step to far. Surprisingly, a dozen street thugs who got by on sucker punches didn't stand a chance against a woman who grew up in the fighting pits of Arcade City, and their leader was sent crying with a broken arm, screaming about a "shaytan" a name Amanda was more than happy to take. It turned out this was necessary, as she had inadvertently caused a strange power vacuum in the neighborhood, with thugs and scum regularly turning up and needing to be put down.

CONTACTS: Jasmine McCray, a young African-American woman and Amanda's only regular employee, whos family was born and raised in the same neighborhood as Tommy's Place. Jasmine was in prison for theft during a portion of Amanda's tenure there, so Amanda gave her a job knowing full well she would have problems finding one just like she did. The younger woman has taken the opportunity to turn her life around and has recently enrolled in Arcade City University.
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 08:39 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 135
Vesper Vesper
I just discovered that my upcoming temporary work relocation that lasts through November 1st will have limited internet so I need to withdraw. Hope all those that make it into the game have a great time!
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 09:54 AM
I'm Super! thx for asking

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2045
Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79
Jewel - Application
right-aligned image
NAME: Alice Winters (Secret Identity)
ALIAS: Jewel (superhero name), Mark Gathers (her nom de plume for the newspaper articles)
DESCRIPTION: Blonde hair woman in her 20s. Slim build and attractive. Powers allow her to not be recognized in her alternate form.
SKILLS AND POWERS: Tap into gemstones to use various powers based on the game used (diamond - damage resistance, ruby - fire powers, amethyst - mind powers are some examples).
ORIGIN STORY: Alice discovered her powers while tracking down some leads on a heist the The Andragathía Family was going to pull. She was at a pawn shop, pretending to be interested in antique jewelry, when some family thugs showed up to destroy the pawn shop for refusing to pay "protection" fees. Alice was caught in the crossfire, but was thankfully holding a diamond ring at the time. Her only thought was that she desperately needed some kind of protection against the hail of bullets from the automatic weapons the thugs were using. The power she was able to draw from the diamond spared her life, and she played dead as the thugs surveyed the damage. They quickly snatched up all of the valuables they could nab before making a hasty exit. Alice stood up as they left, surprised to be alive and undamaged. She also departed after seeing the clerk wasn't able to be saved. Later on she pieced together what had happened and started to experiment with other types of gems. She found that older gems, with personal histories, worked best to activate her powers.
BACKSTORY: Alice graduated from Arcade City University with a degree in journalism. She then began to work as an undercover columnist with the <Arcade City Newpaper>, reporting on the criminal activities of The Andragathía Family and various other criminal activities. This has led to her having a target on her back, if anyone should ever figure out who is behind the pen name Mark Gathers.
CONTACTS: An uncle that works at Contra Prison, that helps take villains into custody and can give advanced notice if any escape. Knows Ramon Diego Sandoval, and has shot him down several times. He thinks she is just an intern. She has approached him with several stories that were rejected by the editors for being too risky, so Ramon thinks she is just making up fantastical stories as an excuse to meet him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jewel-small.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	92436  

Last edited by Superstrength79; Sep 10th, 2021 at 10:51 AM.
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 09:56 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79
A few questions:

What kind of tech level is going to be in the game? 80 years later suggests it's 2025 in the game.

Did the lack of heroes also mean that supervillains did not exist for those 80 years as well? Or have Earth's citizens been living in a hellscape this whole time?
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 10:10 AM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24922
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstrength79 View Post
What kind of tech level is going to be in the game? 80 years later suggests it's 2025 in the game.

Did the lack of heroes also mean that supervillains did not exist for those 80 years as well? Or have Earth's citizens been living in a hellscape this whole time?
The tech level is modern. So cellphones, WIFI, satellite uplinks, etc are all fairly common. That doesn't mean there can't be super science but tech is basically the same as today.

There were just ordinary villains. At least, as far as anyone is aware of. Arcade City looks very much like any metropolitan city and could easily pass for Chicago, LA, Beijing, Berlin or any other.
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 11:06 AM

Tools
User Statistics
It's been a long time since I have made a character with this system, and I was thinking of going in another direction after seeing someone else with a melee-based application. I liked the Heroes Unlimited system that Palladium books put out, and wanted to ask if there was any way to replicate the Gem Powers ability with Marvel rules? Gem Powers lets the character tap into precious gemstones and duplicate abilities based on the type of gem. Diamond was Invulnerability, Ruby was fire-based powers, and I don't recall the rest off the top of my head.

Is there anyway to have a dynamic power like that?
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 11:08 AM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
Umm. Maybe. I don't know off the top of my head if there's a power akin to that.

But you could take multiple powers with the limitation of a material component, in this case gems. I'll have to look into the rules more if there's something closer than that.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 01:47 AM
Truculent Troubadour

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21301
Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim
SINGULARITY
right-aligned image
NAME: Jimmy Smith

ALIAS: Singularity

SECRET?: Jim was a "somebody" who was disgraced, dismissed, black-listed, and discarded. He worked for 2 years at the CERN facility in France as a graduate student/PhD candidate, after graduating from MIT. He tried to blow the whistle on a "black" project being conducted jointly by the CIA and the General Directorate for External Security. He was silenced by both agencies when they effectively exploited his alcoholism and had him blamed for a "potentially" dangerous accident that was supposed to have resulted in his death. Jimmy survived, was fired, got deported back to the USA and hasn't been able to get work .

DESCRIPTION: Average build, average looks, average mannerisms and generally undistinguished, Mr. Smith looks a little disheveled most of the time. He's homeless and can often be found at a shelter or soup kitchen on the seedier side of town. He's honest and brilliant but Jimmy is an alcoholic who, like most exceptionally bright people, is socially awkward. He is kind to a fault and, when he's not toasted, can be found doing something to improve the lives of those around him. He cares more for his fellow man than for himself and he harbors a deep resentment toward clandestine organizations. This is ironic as he, himself, now operates from the shadows.

SKILLS AND POWERS: J.S. is a genius. The accident at CERN that was intended to kill him affected him on a sub-atomic level and imparted nuclear manipulation powers that allow him to change his density and the density of objects within his range. There's all kinds of ways that this power might be developed and grow.

ORIGIN STORY: It's an old story: Big City kid graduates from a huge high school as valedictorian, attends MIT and graduates with honors in a little under 2 years, and is employed as a graduate student at UNIGE (University of Geneva) attached as an associate research student to the CERN facility working on anti-matter research. Jimmy Smith was a Big Bang rising star ready to shine brighter than the rest of the universe. His altruism and rigid code of ethics were his undoing. The American and French spy services needed his research to provide them with pre-defined answers, new weapons and technologies, and secrets that would enhance their autonomy from governmental control and oversight while remaining apathetic to the potential consequences. Jimmy was about to expose them. One Honey Trap, three drunken months in Paris and on the Riviera, and one earth-shaking accident at CERN later, Jimmy was a ruined, destitute alcoholic who couldn't get a job in sanitation in Arcade City. The accident was intended to kill him, hide the research, and destroy the evidence. Two out of three isn't a bad result. As it turned out, Jimmy was as good as dead anyway.

BACKSTORY: He's the alter boy that always did everything right until his world unraveled. It's been four years since Smith's name plastered the news throughout scientific circles and in the mainstream media. Now, no one will touch him, not many even remember him. He's washed up at 25 years old. Father O'Brian sees the good that Jimmy does for the poor and how he defends the innocent. He pushed young Mr. Smith into the parish's 12 step program and, as Jimmy has been sobering up, there seems to be a spark in him again. There also seems to be a burgeoning super-power associated with Jimmy's sobriety that can't be accessed when he's drunk.

His Mom had Jimmy when she was 47. She's retired now and resides in a St. Louis assisted living facility. Devastated by her husband's loss, unable to deal with the scandal caused by Jimmy's disgrace and ravaged by her own alcoholism, she won't take Jimmy's calls. Dad passed away two weeks after Jimmy graduated from MIT, the proudest father on the planet. He was J.S.'s hero, full of love and wisdom and encouragement. His loss drove his widow into deep depression and she tried to escape into a bottle. The emptiness of the world was monstrous without him for both Mrs. Smith and Jimmy. Jimmy still talks to him.

Jimmy is paranoid that agents are still out to get him (they might still be. They definitely WOULD be if they learned that he had developed super-powers and Jimmy is smart enough to know that)

CONTACTS: Mom in St. Louis
Father O'Brian
Professor Richard Ion, PhD at Arcade University, a former mentor/associate professor from the MIT years. Jimmy's only remaining friend
Agent Midnight: corrupt CIA answering to...? and his counterpart Agent Des Tenebres of the DGSE
Jimmy's AA sponsor: Rapheal Jose Sandoval

Last edited by Black Jim; Sep 16th, 2021 at 09:43 PM.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 10:52 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Finished my application. https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...80#post9254680

I thought I had a PDF of the Gem Powers from Heroes Unlimited, but looks like I don't. I will crack open the actual book when I get home tonight and give you a list of which gems do what.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 11:09 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6990
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
How does FASERIP work? Like don't I have to roll on tables to generate my character?

Last edited by Runetide; Sep 10th, 2021 at 11:38 AM.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 11:30 AM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runetide View Post
How does FASERIP work? Like don't I have to roll on tables to generate my character?
I mean there are tables for that and you can if you want, but we're going to do a point buy system so people can make the heroes they want.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 11:39 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6990
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Okay good to know! I only ever played it with rando chargen which would make building applying with a character before you do chargen kinda hard.

I'm going to apply with a character I played in a M&M game, and should be interesting. I would like some feedback if you can, if my character concept is possible and also fits in your setting. I figured that powers going away meant that major mutations were suppressed.
ApplicationAPPLICATION:
right-aligned image

NAME: Trevor Watanabe
ALIAS: Raijin
SECRET?: Not possible anymore. His mutation is obvious so having a secret identity separate from his heroic one isn't feasible.
DESCRIPTION: A young man, with frizzy blonde hair, narrow electric blue eyes, and a steely looking spiral horn jutting out of his forehead. His legs end in 3-toed hooves. His skin has a layer of barely perceptible iridescent scales on it, most prominently on his abdomen, chest, back, and shoulders. His hair is always standing on end because of the static charge he's constantly generating. Other than that, he wears well-maintained clothes, and has a suit for formal occasions. He usually has earbuds or headphones and a mp3 player in his pocket, which he uses regularly.
SKILLS AND POWERS: Electricity and weather manipulation. Some minor physiological enhancements. Basically I based his ability set off of the Kirin from the Monster Hunter series.
ORIGIN STORY: Trevor actually descended from a line of mutants, but because of the effect minimizing supernatural abilities and forms, he didn't actually take on his mutant form until an unknown trigger ended the suppression of his supernatural abilities. His physical mutations came to present during one really bad night that ended with him waking up on the roof of his apartment complex hanging off of the building's radio antenna... in just his boxers and the shredded remains of a pair of socks. He had a very bad month afterwards getting used to his new legs and the horn on his head. Visiting the hospital numerous times, the physicians there couldn't find a way to help other than direct him to the genetics department to look into his apparently advanced, sudden-onset mutation.
BACKSTORY: A japanese-american citizen, Trevor has family heritage going back to heroes on both the japanese and american fronts. He lived his life fairly happily until he reached full maturity and his mutant genes began expressing themselves. Life's been... different since then, but he's pretty upbeat about it. He figures since he is thrust into the limelight by his mutations he might as well go for doing this hero thing!
CONTACTS: Dr. Sonnie Parker, a doctor at the Arcade City Medical Center specializing in recording, cataloging, and helping others compensate for biological mutations. She was the first person Trevor went to for help when his mutation presented, and while she generally wants things from him in return, she gives honest help and guidance dealing with the changes in his biology. (Usually blood/hair samples. She's tried to get a horn shaving but the only attempt failed, freaked out Trevor, browned out the hospital, and blew the disk on an angle grinder)

Last edited by Runetide; Sep 11th, 2021 at 02:32 PM.