Other [Dungeon World] Bannock's Lament - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Sep 13th, 2021, 07:08 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12473
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
[Dungeon World] Bannock's Lament

The story to far...

300 years ago...There was a monastery and attendant village, called Kaldhammar (“Cold Cliff”), on the slope of the volcanic mountain called Hvitr’s Horn. The kaldbrud, warrior monks dedicated to Hvitr, were entrusted with the stewardship of a number of important artifacts and texts, but above all else they were gatekeepers; for Hvitr’s Horn is an active volcano, and thus (like all active volcanoes) a gateway to Ellorash, one of the elemental planes of fire.

The end of Kaldhammar came with an eruption of the Horn that spewed forth the Flaming Host of Ellorash. Hvitr himself descended from the heavens to beat them back, sealing the planar gateway with his mighty two-handed hammer, but not before the Ellorashites were able to drown the monastery, the village, and all who lived there in a flood of lava.

Now...Many a fireside tale has been spun from the Forsaken Fell, that stony ledge halfway up Hvitr’s Horn where lies a maze of broken walls clotted by black lava. Before your grandmother’s grandmother walked the world, they say the mountain vomited forth molten rock that destroyed a monastery, the nearby village, and all who dwelt within. Since then, few have dared set foot upon the Fell, fearing the attention of the charred spirits said to stalk the ruins.

One by one, residents of the village at the foot of the mountain, Bannock, have been disappearing. Rumors of distant screams carried on the cold wind keep most of the town's folk locked behind closed doors at night.

Yes, people had been disappearing for months, but you never thought you’d be one of them. A sack over your head, a sudden blow bringing darkness, and now you wake up here, in this foul hole, with these others. Blood, still tacky, covers the lump on your pate. Two robed figures stand on the ledge above, holding curved knives. "Your time has come," one says, gesturing to one of your fellows. Someone else falls sobbing to the floor. The end is nigh. The situation looks dire, and yet you feel more alive than ever before.

The RulesetWe will be using the Dungeon world unlimited hack, combined with Funnel World's take on 0-Level Characters. For simplicity, I have created a guide to house all of the rules in one location.

What if I Never Played Dungeon World Before?No problem at all. Dungeon World (like most Powered by the Apocalypse games) is simple to learn.

The GameAll players will be creating a randomly created 0-level villager. As this is a funnel, I am expecting that not all characters will survive. This will serve as the selection process to select the party that will continue on their adventure beyond this one.

If the player's villager dies, they will be able to roll up one more final villager. To keep things simple, we operate under the assumption that this 'other' villager had been traveling with everyone from the beginning.

The Application

All players should roll up their villagers here, using the instructions found in the thread. Do NOT make rolls here in the application thread. Players may roll up to 2 villagers and choose which one to apply with. Note: Should their villager not survive, they would then assume control over the other one.

Everyone that applies will be eligible to participate in the funnel campaign. How long this campaign will take is not certain, but I would assume at least a few months.

Applications will remain open until October 1st, with a little afterward to allow for any lingering questions to get finalized.

Please post the following here in your application:
  • Name
  • Race
  • Occupation
  • Appearance
  • Personality
  • Bond
Character Question
  • Do you believe the rumors of supernatural forces at work in the Catacombs beneath Hvitr to be true?
  • Did you wager anything on this belief? If yes, with whom?
  • Do you worship a deity? If so, what is your deity’s relationship with Hvitr, the Lawful god of Storms and Justice?
  • Someone you know personally from the village of Bannock has gone missing. Who is it, and what is your relationship to them?

I will be asking followup questions based upon your selection of race, class, and answers to the character questions listed above. Your answers to these questions will begin to shape the lore of our campaign setting. For example, if someone rolls an elf and tells me that elves live underground...then elves in this world live underground. In this way, the players will have a direct input over its creation.

Please be sure to include the answers to these questions in your application post.

Setting Information
Common game around village:
Roe deer, boar, hare, pheasant, bear, fox, wolves (have not been seen in a long time)

Races
Elves
  • Most reside in Nettlelei, their forest home, two hundred miles south of Brannock
  • Smaller conclaves of elves are known to exist, the closest it 20 miles from Brannock
  • Governed by an order of druids that demand a strict attitude of neutrality be taken toward the rest of the world. Although they seldom act directly in the affairs of men, they have come to their aid when the balance of nature was threatened.
  • Elves are immortal, a fact that often breeds jealously and mistrust in the other races

Typical Brannock Villager Characteristics
  • Auburn hair is rare. Blonde and red are more common.
  • Blue eyes are uncommon.

NPCs
  • Several hermits choose to live apart from the village for various reasons. One of these is a man named OIgren, who lives in a cave and worships elemental spirits.
  • Artor the Peddler - A traveling trader and fence

Information about the disappearances
In addition to villagers being taken, several instances of missing livestock have also been reported.

Misc Items of Note
Brannock is home to a bard, a veritable celebrity, who musical and story telling talents are a welcome in whatever city and town he steps foot in.

Known Deities
Hvitr
  • Human god of storms and justice
The Mother
  • Human goddess of Water, Fertility, Healing and Magic
  • Wife of Hvitr (the pair are often worshiped together)
  • She is patron to mothers, midwives and prostitutes as well as herders and shepherds of all sorts.
  • Quote: "All look to their Mother for succor in times of trouble."
The Alvein
  • The divine spirit which judges the souls of elves when they die or choose to pass on.
  • Elves pray to it seeking the 'call of the elements' which grant insight or an effect to their Longing.
  • Those that abandoned the elves' way of neutrality, known as apostates, are unable to join the Alvein or the rebirth cycle in death. They are instead reborn as a Dheg, a dark elf, a being unbound to the 'Way' and only subject to their Longing. Without the Alvein's Blessing they are mortal and their longing is like a ravenous, addictive hunger. Dark elves are loathed universally. When a Dheg dies, it is reborn again with scattered memories of its past life. Their torment remains until they accept the Way once more. At that moment they immediately scatter to the wind and rejoin the elemental spirits of the world. Eventually they may become an elf again.

The Villagers
Player Character Race Occupation
Daendil Katerina Human Forester
Palliven Bronson Human Oxherd
Crazymajor Marillion Human Bard
Vicorin Waylon Human Forester
Lighting Lad Cedric Dustbone Human Oxherd
kanly Crookshanks Human Footpad
Hitch Rizír Isilhír Elven Wanderer
BarrowB Randor Loraven Human Crofter

Last edited by Silent Rain; Yesterday at 03:31 PM.
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 05:14 PM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3624
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
First! (aka placeholder)
I'll answer the questions but I need to random-generate my character...
Character generation is here.

right-aligned image

name: Katerina

race: human

occupation: Katerina is a charming but not especially talented young forester. She aspires to be a famed hunter or at least a wealthy trapper - but for now she has to make a living off selling mushrooms she collects in the forest while tracking game. (She rarely finds her would be prey and when she does she most often misses her shot.)

appearance: She has light skin, long auburn hair and sky-blue eyes. Her build is not exactly lithe, but she has nice curves and a pretty face. Her hands are not the fragile hands of a noble woman exempt from having to work hard. Her arms and hands are somewhat robust but feminine still. All in all, she's pretty especially compared to others in the village.

personality: Well aware of her looks, she's somewhat arrogant. She completely ignores the fact that she's not very talented at hunting. Surprisingly she's quite resilient, not one to complain often, and she's willing to make an effort to reach her goals. But sometimes she feels she deserves more attention.

bond: I stole that thing from _____________ because I needed to practice. (I'll wait for more applicants to fill this in)

Questions and Answers:
Do you believe the rumors of supernatural forces at work in the Catacombs beneath Hvitr to be true?
No. I wander across the woods all the time and I've never seen anything supernatural. I'm either very unlucky or there are no such creatures or forces in our domain.

Did you wager anything on this belief? If yes, with whom?
Derek, the butcher's boy insists that witches live in the depths of the Hvitr’s Horn caverns. But then he also insists that I'll be his wife - nonsense!
Anyway, if there indeed is something "supernatural" in those catacombs then I'll allow him to kiss me. But if there's not (and we both know there isn't) then he'll be my hound for a whole day o' huntin'!

Do you worship a deity? If so, what is your deity’s relationship with Hvitr, the Lawful god of Storms and Justice?
Worship? No, not really. I do say a prayer or two when I'm about to shoot at my prey. (I'm a huntress, you know) Well, I also tend to curse when I miss. I know, I know, I'm sorry.
If I have to choose, Advrak - the mistress of night and stealth is kinda cool, don't you think? She's not that popular around here, you know Hvitr this and Hvitr that, *trying to deepen her voice* the law and justice and storms of punishment... meh, I find that boring.

Someone you know personally from the village of Brannock has gone missing. Who is it, and what is your relationship to them?
Yes, Gesty, the carpenter's daughter. I'm worried for her. I hope it's just a boy... but Gesty is not that kind of a girl. We grew up together, she used to be my best friend when we were children. We're not that close anymore. But I really hope that she's alright.

Last edited by Daendil; Sep 15th, 2021 at 10:47 AM. Reason: village rename to Brannock
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 06:16 PM
Not a gnome

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1238
Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin
Ok this selection process is kind of amazing. I’ll roll some villagers up as soon as I get the chance.
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 06:29 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 371
Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven
Seems interesting, low effort for application and fun. I'm game for a try. I'll make some random rolls then post my two applicants. Should the final product be posted here or at the village page link?
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 06:39 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Welcome everyone!

@Palliven Please post your final application here.

@Daendil What type of game is typically found around the village? Are her auburn hair and blue eyes typical for those in the village?
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 07:22 PM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3624
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
I answered the character questions. Is Meervold our village?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Rain View Post
@Daendil What type of game is typically found around the village? Are her auburn hair and blue eyes typical for those in the village?
Game around village:
Deer, roe, (out of the question for her to manage to shoot), boar (too dangerous), hare (too quick - though she tries), pheasant (she already managed to kill a few), bear (not to hunt but to be aware of and retreat in time). She heard that there used to be wolves in the olden times but she hasn't seen any (thank the gods). She's run into foxes a few times but she wouldn't shoot them. She'd like to pet them but they never let her.

Auburn hair and blue eyes typical:
Not typical but not unheard of. Auburn hair is rare, blonde or red is more common. Blue eyes is not general, but not rare either.
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 07:36 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Bronson the Oxherd
Name: Bronson
Race: Human Male
Appearance: Bronson is a young man of around sixteen years of age. His unkempt hair is matted and dry, hanging over his eyes slightly and held in a topknot by a length of cord. Wiry and lean, his skin is freckled with dust and dirt. Skin that is only a bit cleaner than his sleeveless longshirt tied at the waist with a rope belt.
Personality: Bronson sees the world through innocent eyes, unable to comprehend the stresses and complexities of life that an adult would have to deal with. He approaches everyone he meets as a new friend, everything he encounters as a new adventure. His feelings are hurt easily and certain things like thunder, yelling and beards, scare him.
Bond: I trust Marillion because he is wise.

Strength 11 (0)
Dexterity 13 (+1)
Constitution 16 (+2)
Intelligence 4 (-1)
Wisdom 8 (-1)
Charisma 10 (0)

Character Question
Do you believe the rumors of supernatural forces at work in the Catacombs beneath Hvitr to be true?
"Oh, yea! Branson hears there is bad things down there so Branson keeps the herd away. Yes, yes, yes. Branson knows that bad things can hurt."

"Branson knows not to bet, that's how coins gets lost. Branson got a swtichin' last time he lost coins like that so no sir, no coin bettin' with nobody. No way, no how."

Do you worship a deity? If so, what is your deity’s relationship with Hvitr, the Lawful god of Storms and Justice?
"Branson was told that the wind and the grass are the only gods worth nothing, they the only ones that keep the herd happy. That's just what Branson's been told. Sounds right, huh?"

Someone you know personally from the village of Meervold has gone missing. Who is it, and what is your relationship to them?
"Oh no, you know! You know! Oh no! Yeah well Branson didn’t say it true before. When he heard the rumble he went to look. Didn't mean to take them all but can't leave them behind. Branson was too scared to get closer but Spotty wasn't. Spotty wanted the sweetgrass she saw and kept getting closer. Branson was too scared so…so….well ran. Left Spotty behind and haven't seen her since. You ain't gonna tell are ya?"

Last edited by Palliven; Yesterday at 05:29 PM.
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 09:40 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
@Daendil Thanks. Ah, I changed that (did not catch them all it seems). Your village is called Brannock.

@Palliven Please select another character to complete your bond. Feel free to wait for some more applications if you like.

Who told Bronson that the wind and grass are the only gods that matter? Is that a belief that others in the village share?

Who is spotty?
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 10:17 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
@Daendil Thanks. Ah, I changed that (did not catch them all it seems). Your village is called Brannock.

@Palliven Please select another character to complete your bond. Feel free to wait for some more applications if you like.

Who told Bronson that the wind and grass are the only gods that matter? Is that a belief that others in the village share?

Who is spotty?
I will update Bond after some more applicants post.

Most folk in his village put up with Bronson but not teach or guide him, which is why being alone with his herd of ox in the countryside is so enjoyable for him. There are a few hermits and homesteaders that he knows and which treat him better. One of them is OIgren, an old hermit who lives in a cave and teaches Bronson things. He is the one who taught him that the wind and the grass are the gos he should give thanks to.

Spotty just happens to be the bestest, most favoritest and nicest cow of his whole herd. He named her that because when Bronson first got her she kicked him hard and all he saw was spots for a whole day. Since then they've been friends which is why he feels so bad at losing her.
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 11:31 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Crazymajor Crazymajor
Marillion the Bard
right-aligned image

Name: Marillion
Race: Human
Appearance: An older man, no more than thirty-two, with a youthful, comely complexion that has him appear five years younger. Were it not for the brown hair covering his jaw, it might've been ten years. He stands a thin man with hair that falls light on his shoulders.
Personality: Marillion is nothing less than a jolly man, fitting of a bard. With a pleasant voice and talented fingers to match. He is quick to join in merriment and drink, if a bit willful. His tongue, while skilled in song, is also unabashed. He bears very little shame in his actions and words, and more than often is too quick about them to consider the consequences of either.
Bond: _____________ has much to teach me about... [love; anger; food; coin; raising children; survival]

10 Str: 0
14 Dex: +1
10 Con: 0
9 Int: 0
13 Wis: +1
13 Cha: +1

Character Question

"Supernatural forces, eh?" Marillion mulled over the question with a flick of his wrist that made his lute sing. "To believe... Aye, that's one thing. But, you won't be catchin' me slack-jawed if it were. I've traveled all over, heard half a hundred stories wherever I play. So, this wouldn't be the first catacombs to be hindin' dark secrets now... The songs I play of devils and demons and the noble heroes that slay them, lad, they ain't just songs. They're stories... and true ones at that... Or, eh, somewhat."

"Oi... a..." He pondered, trying his best to recall the man. "Some... Some fur trader I think he was. Met the man down the road once. We ended up talkin' tales over a pint one night, and that talkin' turned to arguein' soon enough. Bastard bet me coin that there was nothin' in them catacombs." He grinned wickedly then. "And, I'm a gambling man meself, of course."

"Do I worship... Bah, I've never been known for me piety now..." He remarked with a sad strum. "But, aye, what man hasn't turned to the gods when trouble begins brewin'. The Mother is the one on my lips when I pray, beggin' that she may grant me 'er lovin' mercy when I've found meself in a tough spot."

Someone you know personally from the village of Meervold has gone missing. Who is it, and what is your relationship to them?

"Aye... The tavern maid - Rosey. Oh, I miss the lass. Girl was always so good to me when I spent the nights playing for coin there. Always filled me drink without ever needin' to ask, and never makin' me pay for it neither!" He laughed. "Though, don't be tellin' the ol' bastard barkeep that... She was a pretty one too... Always took care of me. If she ever makes it back, I'll be sure to spin 'er a song in 'er honor."

Last edited by Crazymajor; Sep 15th, 2021 at 09:40 PM.
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 12:06 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
@Crazymajor Are bards a relatively common profession, or is their appearance a rare treat when they come to town?

Does Marillion live in the village or is he just passing through? If just passing through, where does he call home?
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 10:23 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Crazymajor Crazymajor
Quote:
@Crazymajor Are bards a relatively common profession, or is their appearance a rare treat when they come to town?

Does Marillion live in the village or is he just passing through? If just passing through, where does he call home?
Anyone can pick up a lute and start singing down the road, but only someone with the natural talents to compliment can ever hope to make a profession out of it. So, yes, a rarity.

Marillion was born and raised in the village and had family still living there. Perhaps a married sister who he stays with. But, there is only so much money someone can make playing the same handful of songs to the same handful of people. So, every now and then, he'll leave for a few months playing at noble's feasts or the bustling city tavern and wherever else, making his coin. Always eventually returning home to the village when he's satisfied with his earnings, feeling homesick, or is simply looking to rest for a while.

Last edited by Crazymajor; Sep 15th, 2021 at 10:23 AM.
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 02:19 PM
Not a gnome

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1238
Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin
Name: Waylon

Appearance:Shaggy brown hair and an unkempt beard frame an unremarkable, but kind face. Once strong, he’s let himself go a bit, developing a bit of a beer gut. His green eyes are alert and focused, just not always on what’s important. He usually wears an oversized mottled green cloak over homespun tunics, with his bow in a simple canvas quiver across his back.

Personality:Normally affable and hard-working, but he’s become more reclusive since being fired, and has let himself slip into drunken laziness most days as he wanders the woods, writing down thoughts and scraps of stories and poetry in a battered journal he keeps alongside his flask and pipe.

Bond: I blame Katerina for getting me in trouble

Waylon has made his career as the town’s game warden, doing what he can to ensure the local ecosystem remains stable. He took great pride in his work, but recently was forced to resign from his position after being accused of stealing village supplies for himself. He knows Katerina took it, but the evidence nevertheless made him appear guilty. He’s since withdrawn to his lodge just outside of town, and hasn’t spoken to his once-friend since.

QuestionsDo you believe the rumors of supernatural forces at work in the Catacombs beneath Hvitr to be true?

I never saw anything out in the woods I couldn’t explain, but I understand why it might spook some folk.

Did you wager anything on this belief?

Nah, people ain’t exactly been neighborly to me lately, and Booker ain’t much for gamblin’

Do you worship a deity?

I don’t really put a name to it, just kinda pray to whoever or whatever is out there for luck and peace, even if it don’t seem to listen much.

Someone you know personally has gone missing, who was it?

That’d be my dog Booker. My only friend left, he ran off after something one night, and I never did see him again. I miss him real bad, been out lookin’ every night and that’s when they nabbed me.
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 02:28 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 300
Lighting Lad Lighting Lad Lighting Lad Lighting Lad
This seems pretty interesting to me. I’ll give it a shot. Rolling characters now…
Question. Do we pick one of the other PCs for the bond or create a villager/NPC to apply the bond to?
Cedric Dustbone
Name: Cedric Dustbone
Appearance:
Cedric Duststone is a 29 year old male human oxherd. He has cropped, wavy, black hair and black eyes. He has smooth coppery brownskin. He stands 162cm (5'3") tall and has a regular build. He has a sharp, very innocent face. He has a badly done tribal tattoo on his right arm. He loudly worships Kasdos, God of inspiration and bards.

Personality:
He is very cynical. He can't keep a secret. He stretches the truth to tell a good story. He spaces out often, lost in thought.

Bond: I will convince "Katerina" of the value of power.

Questions:
Yes, I do. There have been strange movements and tales for as long as the town has been around of weird works down there.

No. Not much of a betting man.

Yes, Oghma, God of knowledge, invention, inspiration, bards. It's mostly the bard and inspiration aspects. Oghma likes and follows Hvitr. Hvitr doesn't care at all about Oghma.

Someone you know personally from the village of Bannock has gone missing. Who is it, and what is your relationship to them?
His name was Ali Misri. A young and vigorous man who helped tend to the oxen and other livestock. A coworker, friend and confidant.

Thanks for the opportunity

Last edited by Lighting Lad; Sep 15th, 2021 at 04:03 PM.
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 03:39 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
@Vicorin Who from the town accused Waylon of stealing supplies (Major, Town Council, Sheriff, etc.)? What were the supplies and where were they stored?

@Daendil Did Katerina actually take the supplies that Waylon was accused of stealing?

@Lighting Lad You would pick one of the other PC's for your bond. It's fine to create a deity for Cedric to worship, but do you have another name for him you would like to use (I would prefer not to dip into the Forgotten Realms Pantheon)? Also, alignment is not a thing here, so you don't have to worry about that.