RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Sep 14th, 2021, 06:20 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20667
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
The Color of Terror

Game NameTraveller - The Color of Terror
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games - Traveller 2e
ThemeSpace Opera, BSG, Titan AE, Firefly
FlavourDark, Gritty Realism set in space
Plot Summary
THE COLOR OF TERROR
a Traveller 2e Campaign

How The Mighty Have FallenIt all started fifty years ago when some upstart inventor scientist stumbled across some old notes supposedly written by the infamous Tesla. There were crude designs and formulas that when put together were the blueprints for an impeller of sorts. This "impeller" created interlinking magnetic fields that "pushed" in a specific direction. The first "wingless" flying machine was created.
One company rose above the rest, the inventor being the owner, and soon others followed. The invention was improved in a few years and soon a trip to the moon took less than an hour. More improvements followed, and a trip to Mars now took only a few hours.
Habitats on the surface of the moon, and then Mars quickly began to be built as the space race had begun. Mining asteroids produced all kinds of heavy and precious metals. Improved battery design gave way to fusion for energy to feed the ever improving Impeller Engines.
Gravity Compensators were built, heavy at first, and then smaller and smaller until all but the smallest ships had artificial gravity. Whole different classes of people sprang up, from Martians, to Lunars, to "Miners", the latter being those who mined wholly on their own and were seen as those living and working solely on the Frontier; they were also seen as odd and strange folk.
A Matrix drive was developed and soon it only took a week to get to the Kuiper Belt. Asteroids were being converted into mini worlds or "CityHabs" as they were dubbed. Mars had speed rail subways linking cities.
Mankind was in a new era. War was practically nonexistent on Earth, and military forces were drawn down and being ramped up for Space. Countries joined together to form Union States to bankroll the cost of ships and commerce in space. Climate change was a thing of the past with current technology. Whether or not the Earth would fully heal remained to be seen, but mankind's impact on the planet was all but halted.
And then... they came.

ThenSix months ago Alien ships simply showed up, using some kind of FTL Drives, and within half an hour had decimated the earth. Anywhere there was a settlement, the ships decimated them with never before seen energy weapons. Mars was gone. Luna was gone. Asteroid CityHabs were all gone.
Strangely enough, these "ships" seemed to ignore the ships piloted by human kind. A few armed human ships fired upon the Alien ships. They did some damage, but the alien ships were armed with some kind of particle beam weapons that were invisible to the naked eye and almost instantly vaporized aggressive attackers. A blast from one of them caused anything it touched to simply break apart at the molecular level. Some who witnessed these blasts theorized that they were some kind of stream of projected ions perhaps.
Luckily, they were close in weapons only. No one knows if the ships were piloted, or if they were drones. No occupants were ever seen.

Any ship that wasn't destroyed fled the known system, heading for the next nearest, "thought to be" inhabitable world in the Alpha Centauri solar system. There are all manner of ships, some more important than others for growing food, raising livestock, and the like. The most critical and fragile cargo, are the people. If Humanity is to survive, everyone is important.

The remnants of humanity, regardless of former standing, now all share the same title: refugee. The brutal truth is the Aliens - whoever they are - won and humanity lost. The "thrown-together" military and the civilian government leadership struggles daily with preserving what remains of what was once the thriving race of humanity. One other truth about the Alien attack was that it was indiscriminate in who survived and who did not. That a few of humanity’s finest escaped the fall of the Colonies is unquestioned. It is, however, also unquestioned that the indiscriminate winnowing process provided by the devastating attacks allowed some of the dregs of humanity to survive as well…

An old phrase now commonly used, "the needs of the many" is either loved or hated, depending on who you ask. You return to your quarters to find an "Enforcer" - what the law keepers are called - waiting for you. You are needed on the large 'Capital' ship. Seems there's something you can do better than anyone else and you're being politely asked to go. The Enforcer is to take you there, and he doesn't know why you're needed, just that he's to take you there.

Starting Out

You are currently living and surviving on one of thirty-three ships in what is now called "Exodus Fleet." The ships range is size from kilometers long to hundreds of meters long. There is a small military presence, but limited to a peace keeping force and a few armed destroyers. There is a provisional government made up of twelve representatives, and one president. Crimes and those charged are also brought before this body. To date, there have been no serious crimes.

Traveller Game ApplicationApplication Deadline: 9/30, or later if more apps are needed.
Type of Campaign: (Traveller 2e) This is technically built as a one-shot, but there may be a way to organically continue the story after that if there is player interest. You can be a complete 'nobody' or a somebody; up to you. Your character will be chosen because of something in their background/history that makes them "perfect" for "the job" that this campaign is all about. There will be some chances to roll, but it is mostly RP heavy.

Party Size: I am looking for 5-6 players
Posting Rate: 1-2 posts per week
Books Allowed: Core Rulebook
Technology Level: TL8 for weapons and armor and TL9 for non-weapons
Creating your Character: As this is Traveller, we will be using the normal lifepath character creation method. Rules are as normal, unless otherwise specifically mentioned. All lifepath rolls should be made in the dice thread, which is here.
DO NOT make any rolls in this application thread. Players may roll up to two different characters using the lifepath generator when deciding on a character, but choose one to submit.

What to Include:
  • Character Name
  • Description (A picture is always nice)
  • Homeworld/colony/station/Country of origin if earth
  • Breakdown of Pre-Career and Career terms (include a link to your lifepath rolls)
  • Character History. With lifepath rolls in hand, give me a few paragraphs that detail your character's background/history. Please be sure to include why they were not on Earth, Mars, Luna or another habitat when the attacks came. (On the job, hiding from something/someone, etc.)
  • Roleplay Sample (Just a couple paragraphs to show your character in action doing something)

Disclaimer: This campaign will be touching on horror elements and aspects of murder. While this will all be done within the scope of a PG-13 filter, anyone that finds these themes disturbing should probably steer clear of this campaign.

About the GM: I am relatively new to Traveler, so on builds, skill rolls and such, I'll be reaching out to others who are in the game for clarifications. That said, I'll have the final say and it will be judged based on fairness, storyline, and game continuity.

Shout out to 'Silent Rain' for this advert layout that I totally stole.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; Sep 15th, 2021 at 01:34 PM.
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 06:26 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Once the game forum is created, I'll create a Dice thread for rolling, as well as other threads needed for creation.
- D
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 09:46 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31614
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Seems nice Drachy!
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 09:51 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonZar View Post
Seems nice Drachy!
Thanks! I hope it's nice enough to draw in applicants.
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 10:08 AM
His divine shadow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5935
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
Drachenspirit
You might want to make it clearer it's a traveller game. I only found out it was traveller when I read the about the GM section.
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 10:24 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachenspirit View Post
Thanks! I hope it's nice enough to draw in applicants.
Probably, many people like traveller.

I'm a bit swamp and won't apply, but it's tempting.
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 10:39 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acathala View Post
Drachenspirit
You might want to make it clearer it's a traveller game. I only found out it was traveller when I read the about the GM section.
How's that?
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 10:44 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
HuH? Traveller is the first word of the post.

Last edited by MoonZar; Sep 15th, 2021 at 10:45 AM.
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 10:59 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonZar View Post
HuH? Traveller is the first word of the post.
yeah, I just edited it.
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 12:19 PM
His divine shadow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5935
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
That'll help.
Also nice to see you MoonZar, even fleetingly.
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 12:20 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acathala View Post
That'll help.
Also nice to see you MoonZar, even fleetingly.
Hi there!
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 01:56 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5940
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
Are you allowing psychics?
Also, if you went to the Military Academy but did not graduate, and then went into the branch of service it represents do you gain any skills for that second term since you would normally get basic training, but already got all of those skills at 0 from the academy?

Last edited by kanly; Sep 16th, 2021 at 06:41 PM.
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 05:54 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanly View Post
Are you allowing psychics?
Sorry, no.
Old Yesterday, 03:17 AM
Spectral Cookie Master

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4263
Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442
I was like "I'm gonna try for this particular career"

Then I rolled my attributes. My rolls were so good I don't remember what career I was aiming for...

My timezone is AEDT (GMT +10/+11)
Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12473
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Nathaniel Maddox (WIP)
right-aligned image

Name: Nathaniel Maddox

Description: Nathaniel stands just shy of six feet tall. Since he was a child, he had been brought up on to maintain a pristine sense of self and presence, and this shows to this day. His attire normally consists of designers that are obscenely expensive, though he wears these things more out of habit than true desire.

Homeworld: Earth (United States)

Breakdown of Pre-Career and Career terms link
Term 1 - Pre-Career (University)
Term 2 - Noble (Dilettante)
Term 3 - Noble (Dilettante)
Term 4 - Noble (Dilettante)

Character History. Son of CEO and majority shareholder of Maddox Industries, Charles Maddox, his son, Nathaniel Maddox, wanted for nothing. To say his family was wealthy was an understatement. With holdings on Earth, Luna, Mars, and every major colony, along with ownership of several ship manufacturing and researching companies, their wealth ranked in the top tier of elitist society.

Due to his father's busy schedule, Nathaniel saw him infrequently. Worse, his father had placed no expectations on his son and given nearly unlimited resources. A bad combination.

Although he lacked ambition, Nathaniel was smart and a quick study. He went to university, more for a change in scenery than anything else. While there, he met a young woman names Sarah Gibson. Things did not work out well and they had an explosive breakup. Nathaniel wanted to put as much distance as he could between them and left before graduating.

After returning home, Nathaniel was confronted by someone representing an "elite society of like-minded individuals." Intrigued (and bored), he agreed to attend one of their meetings. He came to learn the organization called themselves the 'Cabal', and some of their designs and aspirations were shocking. They sought nothing short of complete control over the entire system. Nathaniel parted ways. Although they let him walk, it was clear they were not accustomed to hearing 'no'. He had the feeling he would be hearing from them again.

It was several years later when the United States' representative in the Union States, Mark Johnson, approached Nathaniel with a proposition. He saw untapped potential in the young man and wanted to mold him into a leader that might eventually vie for his seat one day. Nathaniel jumped at the opportunity.

Over the next several years, Nathaniel became more and more entrenched in politics, believing he had finally found purpose and meaning in his life. Although he did a great deal of good, he also garnered some powerful enemies as well.

It was during a political trip to Mars, while aboard the yacht that his father had bought him, when the alien ships arrived. His ship was damaged during the attack, but he managed to make the jump to the Alpha Centauri System.

Roleplay Sample (Just a couple paragraphs to show your character in action doing something)

Last edited by Silent Rain; Yesterday at 01:12 PM.