Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jan 11th, 2022, 10:31 AM
#Bard4Life

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22010
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Wishkamon:What happened recently that made you feel warm and fuzzy inside?

YOU NERDS came and asked me questions. Everyone should sign up do this. We act like OH NO THIS SEEMS PERSONAL YIKES, and maybe for some it is. I am introverted, but---I am a bard at heart. It's nice to get to talk about myself and tell you guys all the weird crap I like.

Thanks, Wishkamon, and ALLA y'all for making this really fun for me.

What 3 items should be placed inside a salt circle to summon you?

And Goat Bones, of course. To help me read the future.

You told us your cats names and archetypes, but please, endear us with their silly nicknames.

The Roaches is often pronounced FAUX-FRENCHILY: La ROE-shay.
Squids is Squiddy, Biggy Squiddy, Pesto, Rumpus, and Burps.

Yes, or no? "Yes, and"

I want to ask something about your icon but i'm not sure what. Please answer the undecided question.

If you know If you do not do not know the Moomins, google Moomins and read everything Tove Jansson ever penned.Moomins, then you know Mrs. Fillyjonk is rigid, stern, methodical, risk-averse, anxious. OH, SILLY CHILDREN! She is not going to give you the forbidden. She is going to make you stop being boisterous. She will grind away at you until you become orderly and tidy and quiet.

I want to DM/Mom/Live exactly not like a Fillyjonk.
PCs: Fioravanti No-Last-Name | Ingetrude "Tru" Frostblossom |Myrrh the Burned
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 10:50 AM
#Bard4Life

Tools
User Statistics
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabadger View Post
Bonus Question Round!!!

What are Fillyjonk's Top 7 Advice Tips for Creating Play-by-Post Centric RPGs? (And #5 MUST blow our minds!)
1) Read Iron DM.

2) Play IRON DM next year. (I am not going to, but you should.)

3) Treat important NPCs like novel characters with whole lives and agendas and loves and hates. This personality tempers the dice. They should ARC.

4) Leave huge room to insert PC backstory and make the story this group's specific story. (Controversial. HOT TAKE! Some people want their backstory to be inviolate. Yes, players should have agency over their own past, but I want their story to be present in the world and in flux.)

5) LOVE your PCs. That Barbarian is your favorite barbarian. That rogue? BEST EVER. Try to protect them. Treasure them. But. Let the story be what the story is. Let the dice do what the dice do. When the dice hurt your beloved PCs, hate the dice. When your players crit and kill your beholder, REJOICE! You are not the monsters. You are the world, and as the world, you were created to allow a group of bumbling psychopathic promiscuous whimsical violent acquiring magical weirdos become a bonded set of amazing heroes.

6) Get in a lostcheerio game and treat it like a master class in story and DMing. This is 6 and not 5 because it will blow the mind of exactly no one who has played with her.Because it is. I learned 3, 4, 5, and 7 of these advices as her player.

7) SANDBOX IT, OH MAH BIRCHES! If the player is curious and pokes and sniffs it, it lights up. If the players go meh or do not notice it, it falls away.

Last edited by Fillyjonk; Jan 11th, 2022 at 10:58 AM.
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 02:30 PM
#Bard4Life

Tools
User Statistics
AW Thanks ElderOblex. BARDS was such a great experience for me. The whole group of you just killed.

Who's your favorite author, and why? Flannery O'Connor. Brutal, Scything, (harshly) Redemptive, Funny, the anti-Nihilism.

If you could re-write a famous/your favorite stories, what would it be and how would you change it?

I can do this, and I do! Usually fairy tales and mythology (including J-C Mythology) because those are the stories that persisted through time and culture shifts. Basic human stuff. I change them to make them feel specific for now and my characters. I have done stuff with: Rachel and Leah in Genesis, a ton of Kali stories, a ton of Grimms...

What's the weirdest thing you've seen on a scuba dive?

On a Manta Dive, you set up light buckets to attract plankton, and the giant Mantas come to pass through and eat them. Divers sit around them like girl scouts at a campfire and watch 'em eat. You attract all KINDS of stuff...

HERE IS A 10 second video.

ANYWAY. there was a green comedy eel, a Moray, who got IN the light bucket, and he was coiling and springing out, trying to catch fish. Every time these 2,000 + pound beauties passed over his bucket he would get CRABBY and try to BITE the giant mantas, like, BORK OFF I AM EATING HERE. It was hilarious. He would lose his temper and do a lap around the circled divers, like a mad rodeo clown and thne get right back in the bucket. You can't see the Comedy eel in the video but---that is a Manta with an 18 foot wingspan zooming a few feet over my head. SO lovely. And weird.

What were your best & worst online purchases in 2021?

Best: SO MUCH SOURCEBOOKS on DnDBeyond. Worst: A flopping trout cat toy. The tuxedo bois were all *eyebrow* #no1kerrrr #meh

Favorite spell in D&D (any edition)? Good old Disguise Self.

Lastly, how did you get into RPGX in the first place?!

COVID. I was going insane and my BFF (lostcheerio) said, Come to this fun place and I will do a 1 v 1 game for you. I will teach you to play. (I hadn't played DnD for YEARS and Dungeon Crawler is ... not the same. MMORPGs are...not the same.) Never played 5e. My first posts were like a BLAP of 50 words, no formatting, first and third person at random, like---SAMPLE POST. I was very OKAY this is a cute little way to pass the time. Those posts are HILARIOUS to me now. SO un-invested. NO formatting. OOC plopped into the story...

NOW that game is 14 chapters long and SO convoluted and my favorite thing and it has 4+ POV characters and LORE OUT THE WAZOO and I draw all my little characters and I am allll over the site playing and DMing and war-tugging and 100 questioning doing NPSG and and and.... love it all.

Last edited by Fillyjonk; Jan 11th, 2022 at 02:57 PM.
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 02:38 PM
#Bard4Life

Tools
User Statistics
Hi PTWIDS! Thanks for coming and playing. I love this question. And Rabbits.

Formative book? That maybe didn't change you but it had some kind of effect that on you and you still look back and think fondly about it years later?

Watership Down

Formative sandwich? That maybe didn't etc.

Grilled pimento cheese with tomato.

Last edited by Fillyjonk; Jan 11th, 2022 at 02:39 PM.
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 05:19 PM
rawr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3356
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillyjonk View Post

Formative sandwich? That maybe didn't etc.

Grilled pimento cheese with tomato.
I'm kinda surprised cheese wasn't in your summoning circle too.

Favourite flavour of crisps / chips?

Playing: None. Running: The First Mask (Cthulhu Zero)
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 05:47 PM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36091
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
I feel like, just for the sake of performance art, we should have 100 Questions in this thread for Filly, the 100 Questions Thread master ...

Has the patriarchy been smashed in D&D? Have we moved on to renovations and alterations? Or is some smashing still required?

What Fillyjonk homebrew magic item are you most proud of?

Who is the best villain NPC you have ever created? How badass were they?

Wouldn't it be nice if there was somewhere online, like a social media channel, where a gamer or gnome could go to for etiquette advice?
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 07:58 PM
#Bard4Life

Tools
User Statistics
LEMMING: I'm kinda surprised cheese wasn't in your summoning circle too.
Favourite flavour of crisps / chips?

LOL. Cheetos BUT the ones that are half cheese popcorn.
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 08:26 PM
#Bard4Life

Tools
User Statistics
badger: I feel like, just for the sake of performance art, we should have 100 Questions in this thread for Filly, the 100 Questions Thread master ...

Um I think that's you.

Has the patriarchy been smashed in D&D? No. But it is quieter.

Have we moved on to renovations and alterations? Well, many of us have...

Or is some smashing still required? Yes. But ---just being positive?

You know what I mean by a "Schrodinger's Butthole?" That's the guy who makes the questionable statement. And if you-the-lady respond negatively, he was kidding and why are you such an uptight b word, GOD! So you-the-lady say nothing, and wait. If SB gets NO push back from other men, then he MEANT IT and he steps in harder and harder. THAT GUY is on this site. That guy is everywhere.

Here is what is cool; I see gamers that are just good guys, like really, tons of 'em, but I am going to specifically call out Atrayn and you, badger, who with great calmness and also with kindness say the right, kind, inclusive things. Like, not SMASHING SB and running him off but calling him out and inviting him to stay and play but... NOT BE THAT GUY. And I just love you for it. Because I know...

IT IS SO HARD TO DO. It's the same for me as a white person who appears het because I have been married to the excellent Mr. Jonk for decades; I TRY to find a way to say the right, kind, inclusive things when some SB is doing racist or anti-queer-folks :jokes: that are really a water testing. It's hard. I HATE conflict. But we all have to.

What Fillyjonk homebrew magic item are you most proud of? OH I just steal that shiz off Reddit. I am bad at BALANCE and would OP things if I homebrewed.

Who is the best villain NPC you have ever created? How badass were they?

OH! IT IS AN ENTITY! THEY ARE SO BADARSE! I ran them at tabletop. And my Saltmarsh people have some clues about 'em BUT have not met them. SO! I will not say much here.

That said, I love mid-level baddies Snork and Rarar, the Bugbear lovers from Battle of the Bards who defiled the helllls out of that shrine and who alla y'all bards made do the DIRTY DANCING LIFT with a MAGE HAND via command/suggestion/control spells. I keep referencing that game, but the truth is, I had the time of my life...

Wouldn't it be nice if there was somewhere online, like a social media channel, where a gamer or gnome could go to for etiquette advice?

YES. That said, I am southern, female, and of a certain age. SO. YOU CAN ASK ME. HERE. DO IT! I know ALLLLL the forks. *preen*

Last edited by Fillyjonk; Jan 11th, 2022 at 08:44 PM.
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 04:03 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14429
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
All the forks? So, both food and garden? (I'm a Scottish guy)

This looks fun and, as always, I'm late to the party. Three days since the last post, is anyone still around? Hello?

Anyway, diving. I haven't been diving in more than ten years and every time I see cool videos like the manta one you posted I get filled with lots of squirmy emotions. So my question is; where are your favourite dive sites? Either places you have been or where you want to go.
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 09:18 AM
#Bard4Life

Tools
User Statistics
Lazer All the forks? So, both food and garden? (I'm a Scottish guy)

I was fronting. The truth is, I was not gently reared. I only know some of the forks. And I do nto garden. Or even have house plants. Once I had a cactus that lived, for YEARS. I moved it from city to city with me, and I was so proud! Um yeah, then one day a friend who knows plants pointed out that it had petrified. It was deader than than dead. It was a fossil.

So my question is; where are your favourite dive sites?

Bonaire is my hands down favorite place to dive so far. Only place I ever found a sea horse, and I saw so many eagle rays up close. I love them. The LIFE there is crazy, the coral is healthy for the most part.

I want to go to the Maldives.
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 12:46 PM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36091
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
So...by my count we are at 73 questions...I feel like there should be 100 on this thread.

Q74: New Player Solo Game ... I hear you're a righteous NPSG DM, what is the bestest advice you have for totally new players?
Q75: Have you ever literally dreamed up a game scenario?
Q76: If not a dream, what is the most unusual source of game-scenario inspiration?
Q77: You are such a positive, team player ... here's a soapbox, now, please tell us three things that make someone a great PbP team player, and give examples using real-life posts from Bothers, Lazer and AnotherDragoon.
Q78: If the gods decreed that tomorrow you would have to do a TPK in your Saltmarsh game, how would you do it so that all the players would go: "Wow, thank you!"?
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 02:20 PM
#Bard4Life

Tools
User Statistics
you are the devil, badger lol. I am not going to pretend I do not enjoy this, but also---you are the devil.

Q74: New Player Solo Game ...what is the bestest advice you have for totally new players?

Collaborate. Interact. Say YES AND to fellow players. In my NPSG I---

Q75: Have you ever literally dreamed up a game scenario?

Nope. But I have dreamed my PCs and some of my NPCs.

Q76: If not a dream, what is the most unusual source of game-scenario inspiration?

Okay look, this shows a shameful over-investment but -- what isn't? I have used pop songs and classic poetry and fine art and BAD ART -- I came across the museum of bad art (Which I then used as a 100Q) while looking at paintings of women cooking fish for a game. I have assigned every PC in my Saltmarsh game a theme-song, LOL.

Q77: You are such a positive, team player ... here's a soapbox, now, please tell us three things that make someone a great PbP team player, and give examples using real-life posts from Bothers, Lazer and AnotherDragoon.

bothers builds. If a PC in a game with bothers sets down a brick, bothers will slap down mortar and add another brick. And then make room for others to add, and then add again. In Saltmarsh, cheerio invented a CUTE way to speak gnomish, and bothers built on it, and now they are defining gnome culture and creating a vocabulary where certain nouns get verbed and there is an established physicality and aesthetic. All of this via RP, no discussion--just close reading and collaborative steps forward.

dragoonie affirms: He posts late, and very often he is on clean-up, which is a hard posting slot. Here is a messy sprawl of a post cycle, and in he comes, to summarize and clarify and give the assist that finally gets the ball into the hole. And he does all this while having probably the best, slyest fieldset titles IN THE WORLD and smashignly perfect dialog. Saltmarsh he just did this at ORC LUNCH and also announced he was about to go commit murder in the SLYest way--- no one outside the party clocked it. LOL.

Lazer Lane-swerves: I mean across plot lines. PCs kinda own various NPCs and stories, and other PCs tend to hands off that, which is good, to a point, but Lazer is good at helping instigate movement without encroaching. He is doing his own crap, but can suddenly bcome king of help action. ALL through Bards he did this---he and ElderOblex used their PCs rivalry to actually create BIG help moments.

ALL THREE OF THESE PEOPLE: read so carefully and build and respond and affirm and instigate.

Q78: If the gods decreed that tomorrow you would have to do a TPK in your Saltmarsh game, how would you do it so that all the players would go: "Wow, thank you!"?

Oh Lord. I do not know. That's so situational...

But I do kinda trust myself to help a group of prime creatives story their way out of anything. It would be player led, but yes, it would be my mission to make it triumphant or redemptive or beautiful. Because we do not play this game to suffer. We suffer in this game to triumph and be big d*** heroes!
Fey Ghosts of Saltmarsh Started May 24, 2021, Read Here!

Last edited by Fillyjonk; Jan 15th, 2022 at 02:34 PM.
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 04:55 PM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25483
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
ok I'll help badger get you to 100

Q79 what is your favorite katie melua song and why is it "nine million bicycles"
Q80 make pinchy fingers and finish the line "i'm about this far from..."
Q81 are you really super good at bible trivia or anything?
Q82 what's up with tieflings
Q83 fantasy pants or black cardigan?

OK tapping out
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 05:30 PM
Bolt Up!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14193
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
Q84: You (or your favorite self-created fantasy RP character of all time) are pulling off the road after a long day of travel and are preparing to set up camp in a meadow nearby. As you are setting up camp, you catch a glint of metal poking up perhaps thirty feet away from you, barely catching your eye in the fading rays of the sun through the tall grass. Your interest piqued, you trudge over to investigate. As you approach, the object's form becomes clear, and some identifying trait gives you an overwhelming hunch that it is magical.

What is the item, and what are its magical properties?
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 05:45 PM
Dragoonies never say die

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21854
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Number 85 - How do you take your coffee?

Number 86 - Do you have a writing routine and, if so, where is it on a scale between Ursula Le Guin and Hunter S. Thompson?