Game Thread Legacy of Ruin -Chapter I: The Wizard's Tower - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Haryn: Where Gods Tread
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 08-02-2018, 04:17 AM
PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-07-2019
RPXP: 575
PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab
Posts: 669
This Is Normal Narrator, Not Foralvic. NOT Foralvic.
left-aligned image

Thirty minutes. Thirty whole, f*ckin' minutes he waited in that crappy warehouse. Well, you know what they say about those scrawny shrubsnorters and showing up on time: "After a half hour, hafta hate huffing halfling haste." Even the lone peanut the sexy killer lady had thrown at him, rather than any sort of answer to his question about her heritage (which means she totally had the hots for me- I mean, him. That's just playing hard to get. All the minxes do that.), wasn't enough to alleviate the boredom. Fortunately, everyone's everyman Foralvic was there to save the day. After the entire warehouse had descended into uncomfortable hush, he decided it was time to treat these weaklings to a tour of the Steelworks.

Foralvic began with the basics: handstands, one-handed push-ups, backflips (only occasionally breaking through the floorboards again where he misjudged the strength of the wilting wood), frontflips, sideflips. Finding a rusted old chain hanging from the ceiling, he quickly ascended it using only the great strength in his arms, back, and core. He found a small gap just a few feet over his head and spanned the length of it with the battleaxe, using its handle to first do pull-ups supported only by one of his thick fingers and eventually moving on to performing the maneuver with just one arm. Up, down, up, down. Gods, he was magnificent. Red in the face; skin dripping with putrid sweat; muscles bulging and defined against the straps of his armor; a carnal array of loud, constipated grunts. Such a sight. Such a man. What a show he was giving them-

Oh. Huh. The leader had went ahead, apparently. And his name was Omrik Lindal... Yet another loser among many others. Reassured that the job was going forward, Foralvic collected himself and his battleaxe, patted the waterskin at his side to make sure everything was in order still and then came over to the boat. As the rest loaded on, one by one, he splashed some of the sewer water onto his face and pits to cool off a bit. Last to get in, Foralvic forced himself next to the tall, lean, raven-haired paladin who had been the latest arrival to the warehouse. Only a couple of seconds after they began to move forward into the dark of the abandoned sewer network, Foralvic leaned over into the pretty boy's space and, as carefully and subtly as he was able, Performance Check = 1whispered to him in his lowest tone possible.

"You didn't give us your name before, but I'm a friend here, Edward, don't worry."

Unfortunately, all the exercise Foralvic had just performed was not good for his controlling his breath or tone of voice. As he was about to turn to look over for confirmation from the man who he surely had been looking for, Foralvic suddenly felt as though he had unwanted attention. He froze up completely, soon followed by a mean glare coming across his face, meant to scare away the curiosity. After a few seconds of hasty thinking, Foralvic started violently and ridiculously coughing. It echoed through the sewer tunnels for a few seconds before one of the d*ckbag burgling wimps told him to can it in only the most polite language. With things having quieted down again, he uncorked his waterskin and took a small swig to calm his nerves. He didn't really feel anything from the liquid within but the sh*t taste sent comfortable tingles through his body. Alright, then. No one had heard that, right? It was just between him and the "paladin" Edward. Now he just needed to see the job through.

 


 


Last edited by PeasOfCrab; 08-02-2018 at 04:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-02-2018, 07:18 AM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-03-2020
RPXP: 10878
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 7,815
A beginning
right-aligned image
Dehan Deadwood
Halflings, no halflings, druid leader, paladin leader, none of it mattered to Neddy. This lot would get him where he needed to be well enough. That this Omrik had gone off script was highly unusual and he had thought the revelation might require more coaxing for Jaspin but the thief hopped into the boat ready to go.

The conclusion of the dwarf's 'act' was a welcome thing. The creature was making such a racket he was surprised Acertap himself wasn't knocking on the warehouse door asking for quiet.

Neddy observed Constance's expression as she was appointed the new 'leader' of their little gang. Shock and surprise seemed to cross her face quickly replaced by a fierce determination. She'd do fine.

With map in hand, Neddy climbed aboard the vessel and once all were within, nodded to Jaspin who had taken up the pole. They were ready to begin. As ready as they'd ever be.

 


 
__________________
I have taken the Oath.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-02-2018, 11:58 AM
DarkPaladin's Avatar
DarkPaladin DarkPaladin is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-31-2019
RPXP: 2550
DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin
Posts: 1,928
The CanalsMinus their appointed halfling leader, the five members climbed into the boat to begin their assignment. Using the long poles provided shoved off from the side and gently floated down into the gaping tunnel. Moving was easy, as the water was still and probably only about waist to chest deep in most areas. The lightweight, but sturdy, boat was responsive to commands and agile even in the relatively tight confines.

Unfortunately, the still water created stagnant pools of fetid rot, mold, and other horrific smells. Wrinkling and covering noses with clothes or hands did little to hide the stench as the boat churned forward, causing long buried smells to awaken and fill the tight chamber. The air was musty and breathing in felt like you were drinking a hot cup of rancid tea. The ambient light from the warehouse had been consumed by the darkness dwelling in the underground canal, and while Kayne and Foralvic's sharp eyes could penetrate the inky blackness, the other three were not so fortunate. As light You will need to decide what are your light source(s). Once you decide I will assume you light them in any dark area unless you state otherwise.flickered, "Jaspin" directing the vessel through the twisting canal turns and forks in accordance with the oilskin map.

After about twenty minutes of travel down the fetid waterways, "Jaspin" directed the boat to stop. By his calculations they had arrived at the spot marked on the map for the entrance to Acertap's tower. However, "Jaspin's" directions had led them to another in a series of long straight stretch of canals. On one side was the same style of stone wall seen everywhere in the sewers, lightly covered with a greenish algae film. On the other wall was a rusted iron pipe jutting out of the wall, a slow stream of thick sludege draining from it's rusty edge. The iron pipe was probably 3 feet in diameter, but filled with a thick, brownish sludge that smelled as rancid and terrible as the rest of the sewers. Twelve thick, corroded and mold covered bars barred entrance into the dark pipe beyond. Spying down with light or darkvision showed that the pipe continued further than the fifty feet anyone could make out.

Doublechecking the course, "Jaspin" was sure that he had led the group to the right location, but there seemed to be no entrance here...
__________________
We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.
Pillaging in Saga of the Jomsvikings, surviving the trap of Krakole Pass, and Weaving the Epic Saga of Haryn
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-02-2018, 01:13 PM
kymrel's Avatar
kymrel kymrel is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-03-2020
RPXP: 4602
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Posts: 2,768
Akrin Velt, AKA Jaspin Howser
right-aligned image
Although he feels like groaning, Akrin doesn’t allow himself the luxury. This is clearly the right place. And apparently entering the basement of the tower will require them to crawl through the drainpipe. He lifts his lamp to inspect the bars that block them from entering. He then looks at the other with a nonplussed look on his face.

”What, you didn’t think he’d have a door leading into the sewers from his basement, did you,” he says, grinning at the thought of the two paladins crawling through there. At least the dwarf would smell no worse than he already does after crawling through. That is assuming they can get the bars open.

But first things first. Reaching into his pocket he gets Tooth out and shows him the drainpipe. The Weasel squeaks loudly and Akrin gives it a stern look. ”I know it smells bad, but just, you know, crawl up there and see if you can find a way out. Find some light and see if you find guards or something.” The others in his boat get the distinct feeling that the weasel would rather not, but as Akrin sets it down at the edge of the pipe it gingerly makes its way up the pipe.

While he waits for Tooth to get far enough to see anything, Akrin gets his crowbar out of his pack. He leans in closer to the bars, Investigation check: 11trying to see if there is a way to get them open without breaking them off. He scrapes off some of the mold off the bars, trying to find the best way to get past them.

"Those look pretty solid. Foralvic, do you think you can break the bars out of the mortar so that even our bulkier members can get through?" he says, offering his crowbar to the muscular dwarf.

OOC
 

 
__________________
People say I'm evil and twisted, but I really have the heart of a young boy. In a jar, on my desk.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by kymrel; 08-02-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-02-2018, 04:17 PM
MontageManiac's Avatar
MontageManiac MontageManiac is offline
Simple Storysmith
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-18-2020
RPXP: 9253
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Posts: 7,660
Kayne Cyire | Male Half-Elf: Hexblade (1) / Paladin (2) | Level 3


HP: 29/29 | AC: 19 (Disadvantage on Stealth) | Speed: 30' | Hit Dice: 1d8 / 2d10 | Status: Normal


 



Grasping the pole Jaspin tossed to him, Kayne stepped into the boat, trying to be mindful of how his weight with the armor and his own supplies caused it to rock. Deciding on the proper spot to place himself to minimize the rocking, he placed the pole into the water and with Jaspin navigated the sewer-way, with the… curious dwarf taking a spot next to him.

"Kayne… my name is Kayne…" Was all he offered to the sneak-thief in the form of a response to his tirade. He did seem to talk an awful lot for someone whose job it was to go undetected. However, there was no faulting Jaspin for his concerns, as Kayne had them himself.

When the silence was broken and Omrik’s voice could be heard to explain the changes to the plan, Kayne also found himself just a little surprised at choosing Constance to be the leader-in-absence of the group. Not because he thought the position was more suitable to him, far from it. Kayne knew the impression he gave in the High Prefect’s office was… wanting. Having Constance take charge made the most sense from what Omrik would have seen.

Kayne didn’t enjoy the confrontation brought on from Jaspin’s challenges, but he did not see an easy route to make his way into the man’s good graces. He couldn’t take it personally. It had been a very long time since he encountered anyone that hadn’t been specifically tasked with beating the ever-living **** out of him with some form of weaponry or attack. To say that Kayne was slow to trust would be… an understatement. He’s had it his whole life, and training with Ser Varda only made the trait more relevant in his life. His task as a Paladin of the Order of the Dusk was to root out the type of evil that could prove too much for even the Order of the Chalice, and make sure no harm came to the innocents of Haryn. Part of finding that evil was not believing the surface and looking deep within.

He did not know the dwarf, the cleric, or the thief, and he did not even know Constance. They were all tasked with finding out about Acertap, so that would be what they achieved today. That, or die trying likely…

The dwarf was… difficult to be in proximity with. While the profusely sweating body of the dwarf could be smelled just under the rankness of the sewer, the damn fool then decided to use some of the petrid water to, what? Improve his scent? Cool himself down? The gods only know, and even then maybe they themselves couldn’t fathom why either.

The “whisper” that followed was… well… a whisper for a dragon perhaps? Kayne continued to push the boat at an even pace down the sewer tunnel, but furrowed his brow at the whisper, speaking in hushed tones as well, although his was actually a hushed tone, "I’m sorry friend, but… are you Edward? I thought it was Foralvic, unless I misheard when entering…" No, it was definitely Foralvic… did the dwarf think Kayne’s name was Edward? Social graces… Kayne definitely needed to assert some more social etiquette into his interactions. Slowly but surely it was coming back to him.

Arriving at the barred portion of the tunnel, Kayne looked over at Jaspin for confirmation that they were in the correct location. With no voicing of a mistake, the paladin sighed and began to consider their options for moving past this portion of the sewers. "Breaking the bars could make a fair bit of noise… judging from your map is there anyway to tell whether we are below the tower at this point? How far have we traveled?"

The rather lithe paladin was looking at the drainpipe 3 feet in diameter and was not looking forward to the prospect of traversing it in armour, and no knowledge of direction.

"Omrik mentioned a secret entrance to the subbasement of the tower… perhaps the canals are not the secret part… and I’m not certain about a drainpipe being it either."

Kayne begins to
Dice Investigation check?:
1d20-1 (16)-1 Total = 15
look at the algae covered wall opposite the pipe, searching for anything that felt…
Dice Arcana check to see if there's some research he's done previously about mage lairs and hidden entrances? Off chance? Haha:
1d20+1 (7)+1 Total = 8
different to him. When those methods panned out, he then resorted for searching for
Dice Perception check:
1d20+2 (8)+2 Total = 10
any sign Omrik may have left at this point...


OOC
 
__________________
PCs: Dramoth "Nova" / Rhokax Soulreader / Kayne Cyire / Torm / Donovan Whistler
GM: Scales of War 5e & Yeohven: Fall from Grace
Real Life hitting harder and harder. Working on updates as soon as I can, please have pity (patience) on me!

Last edited by MontageManiac; 08-02-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-02-2018, 04:41 PM
kymrel's Avatar
kymrel kymrel is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-03-2020
RPXP: 4602
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Posts: 2,768
Akrin Velt, AKA Jaspin Howser
right-aligned image
”I wouldn’t worry so much about the noise,” Akrin tells Kayne as Tooth makes his way back down the drainpipe. He picks up the wet and disgusting-looking animal and dries him off somewhat with his cloak. The creature squeals miserably. ”Tooth tells me there isn’t any source of light for a fair bit up the pipe. Noise might travel a bit down here, but breaking the mortar shouldn’t carry that far.”

He looks at the map. “Sadly, this thing isn’t too scale, nor is there any indication about what lies above. But I’m sure this is the right location, and getting in through the privy is a tried and tested method in my line of work.”

OOC
 

 
__________________
People say I'm evil and twisted, but I really have the heart of a young boy. In a jar, on my desk.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-02-2018, 09:01 PM
MontageManiac's Avatar
MontageManiac MontageManiac is offline
Simple Storysmith
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-18-2020
RPXP: 9253
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Posts: 7,660
Kayne Cyire | Male Half-Elf: Hexblade (1) / Paladin (2) | Level 3


HP: 29/29 | AC: 19 (Disadvantage on Stealth) | Speed: 30' | Hit Dice: 1d8 / 2d10 | Status: Normal


 



Kayne was only half listening to Jaspin, his eyes kept wandering to the algae covered wall of the tunnel. Glancing back the route they came, he could see in the lamplight that the algae was slimy, little glistening reflections of moisture dancing with the motions of Jaspin’s arm, his elven-eyes picking up on details, even if not colourful. Bringing his attention back to the algae covered wall across from the drainpipe, he could see the lamp light on the algae… but it didn’t appear as wet as it should be. Something wasn’t quite right…

Curiosity got the better of Kayne, and he reached forward to try and brush the algae off, but to no avail. It was as though the algae was resisting all of his physical interaction. Now he knew something certainly wasn’t right with the wall.

Lowering his eyes, and focusing his mind on the wall before him, his vision narrows and for the briefest moment he sees a segment of the wall shimmer before turning back to normal. "While I certainly do not mind getting dirty when the task calls for it… I believe part of the reasoning behind having you sneak-thieves with us is to search for alternative means of entry, which includes thinking like an arcane user might…"

Flexing his fingers against the algae covered wall, Kayne takes a breath and pushes against the surface, but instead of the firm resistance anyone would expect, his hand passes through without an ill effect. Following forward with his head and torso, bracing himself with his free hand on the actual wall.

A quick glance around and Kayne can see a dust covered passageway, but clean and free of sewage, leading away from the canals they currently floated within. Using his keen elven sight, he can see into the darkness ahead, spotting three short steps that lead to what once was a wooden ladder that leads up to a trap door in a stone ceiling above, but is now dilapidated, moldy, and entirely unusable in its current state.

Pulling himself back away from the wall, he looks over at Jaspin, "I mean… please, forgive my rudeness. I spoke out of turn. Why don’t you crawl up the sewer pipe, since that’s what your expertise leads you to believe is the right path, and I can take whoever wishes to go this magically disguised path, which is likely the right one, to our destination." Kayne smiles warmly at Jaspin, to the point where Jaspin may not be able to tell whether Kayne is painfully serious about his recommendation, or is in fact being smuggly condescending. At this point, Kayne isn’t quite sure himself.

"If you do plan on going up the sewage pipe, do you mind checking for traps and wards in this much more likely path first? You know… just in case you encounter something nasty down that way and we lose one of our rogues this early?"

OOC
 
__________________
PCs: Dramoth "Nova" / Rhokax Soulreader / Kayne Cyire / Torm / Donovan Whistler
GM: Scales of War 5e & Yeohven: Fall from Grace
Real Life hitting harder and harder. Working on updates as soon as I can, please have pity (patience) on me!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-03-2018, 12:56 AM
PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-07-2019
RPXP: 575
PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab
Posts: 669
Prying, prying
left-aligned image

Athletics Check = 21A crack was heard in the sewers, followed by the sounds of one of the mold-covered metal bars clattering to the floor.

"Huh, this thing's really useful. Maybe Jaspin'll let me keep it. Not like he could use it much from the size of him. I just won't say a thing. Slip it in my pack in a few," Foralvic thought as he got in position to begin prying the next bar out. Before he began, however, the dwarf managed to spot the most curious sight of Kayne, not Edward, pass through the magically hidden entrance. It was not the most flashy application of magic Foralvic had ever seen but it was most certainly cool, in his opinion.

Having thought long and hard about his problem on the trip through the sewers after the case of mistaken identity, Foralvic attempted once more to make contact, since whoever this fellow was probably using some sort of fake name and this would probably be his last chance before discussion was mostly off the table. They were, after all, about to enter what they were saying was the tower of some sort of... dark magician? Foralvic tucked the crowbar into the crook of his left armpit and applauded the paladin, Kayne, forcefully in an attempt to draw some attention his way. When at least the two sneak-thieves looked his way, he placed his hands on his hips and proclaimed, "Nice work, man, nice work! With smarts like those, we'll surely be getting through this - NEDDY!"

Foralvic ejaculated the word at the end in as forceful of a manner as possible. Grinning at them all, he did his best to Insight Check = 21scan their faces for any sort of odd reactions to his proclamation. Like how people nearby him have often reacted after he rips a big one right next to them, for example. His last attempt done, he stowed "his" crowbar away into his pack and lined up, ready to enter after the two burglars.

 


 

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-03-2018, 05:08 AM
kymrel's Avatar
kymrel kymrel is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-03-2020
RPXP: 4602
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Posts: 2,768
Akrin Velt, AKA Jaspin Howser
right-aligned image
Although he hadn’t been looking forward to crawling through a drainpipe, Akrin is a little disappointed when Kayne discovers an alternate entrance, hidden behind an illusion. Mostly because seeing the two paladins crawling through the human excrement would have made his day. Or even his week.

“I am disappointed in you. Sarcasm truly is the lowest form of wit, and I thought a man of faith such as yourself would be above such petty display,” he replies to Kayne. When they go low, go even lower, he thinks to himself as he ponders how to proceed.

”You have keen eyes, so perhaps you should be the one to look for the inevitable traps designed to keep curious half-elfs out? Mundane and magical, I should imagine,” the man known to the others as Jaspin continues. As he speaks he notices that Foralvic is looking at the illusionary wall, so he takes the opportunity to retrieve his crowbar from the dwarf’s pack, trying his best to do so without him noticing. He doesn’t mind if the others see him Sleight of hands=19lifting his crowbar from Foralvic’s pack, but would prefer to avoid any confrontation with the hairy warrior.

”Or, you could let me go first. That will call for a bit of preparation. See, there is a reason they hired me and not all the other sneak-thieves. I was once a lowly Phaedashyn apprentice. Sadly, the funds required for me to continue my studies ran out unexpectedly so I was forced to seek alternate means to support myself, but what little I learned from my time there has come in handy once in a while,” he says, cracking his fingers. ”It is vital you do not disturb me as I cast my spell, because if you do I will have to start all over again. It will take a few minutes, and I would think you would want to spend as little time as possible at the doorstep of the wizard.”

When he finishes speaking he starts rummaging in his backpack, discretely storing the crowbar while doing so. He gets out his book of magical rituals, flicks to the right place and sits down in the boat. He then starts the slow and meticulous process of casting a spell that will allow him to see any magical auras within a short distance.

OOC
 

 
__________________
People say I'm evil and twisted, but I really have the heart of a young boy. In a jar, on my desk.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-03-2018, 10:06 AM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-03-2020
RPXP: 10878
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 7,815
A beginning
right-aligned image
Dehan Deadwood
In an attempt to remain a mediator and neutral party in the group, Neddy decided to smooth over the bubbling rivalry growing between Kayne and Jaspin.

"Well, done Sir Knight. I'm sure we'll all contribute in our own ways before this investigation is concluded. I don't expect Foralvic to do all the fighting as we can't expect Jaspin to be solely responsible for every nook and cranny of the tower."

"It is a relief we won't be crawling through whatever filth lies in that pipe, though, I do suspect there may be unseen dangers beyond this illusory wall."


His thoughts were interrupted by the exclamation of "Neddy!" by the dwarf. Dispite his best effort to 18 deceptionhide his surprise, a right eye ticked a bit before he could scramble for more to say in an effort to distract from the odd revelation.

Poking his head through the pretend wall, he gazed about the passage
Dice investigation:
1d20 6
looking for any obvious traps that may be present.

"I'll take a quick glance around while our associate prepares himself." Dehan whispered softly and his palm Cast Light cantrip on handlit up brightly to illuminate the hallway.



 


 
__________________
I have taken the Oath.

Last edited by tomplum; 08-03-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-03-2018, 07:53 PM
MontageManiac's Avatar
MontageManiac MontageManiac is offline
Simple Storysmith
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-18-2020
RPXP: 9253
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Posts: 7,660
Kayne Cyire | Male Half-Elf: Hexblade (1) / Paladin (2) | Level 3


HP: 29/29 | AC: 19 (Disadvantage on Stealth) | Speed: 30' | Hit Dice: 1d8 / 2d10 | Status: Normal


 



Looking back at the dwarf with his outburst, he raises his eyebrow once more, again, not quite sure how to respond to the odd short-man. "Uh… no, again it’s Kayne. Unless, your name is Neddy… now?" Looking up towards Jaspin, all joking and snarkiness aside while a pleasant distraction, the half-elf paladin gives a somewhat concerned look and pointedly draws his eyes to Foralvic without being noticed by the dwarf, as though to say: “Should I be concerned about the mental stability of this one?”

Listening to Jaspin’s one last jibe, Kayne chuckles and shakes his head, "We’re all faithful followers, are we not? Besides, this is Nesathra. Apparently if you spend any time at all in this city, and you choose to not partake in the petty displays of wit and sarcasm to let off some of the frustration, I’m fairly certain you’ll find yourself staring at the bottom of your cups in dismay at the total inequity you’re surrounded by at all times."

Kayne caught himself at that moment, realizing he let his words get away from him again. He watched without reaction as Jaspin lifted the crowbar he gave to Foralvic earlier from the dwarf’s pack, and put it away himself. Chuckling, he closed his eyes and looked downward, nodding at the thief’s skill in this regard at least.

"Master Jaspin, I wish for you to go first to make sure we do not miss anything of note. I appreciate your desire for preparation, I find that quality in a person integral to prevent any mishaps, as much as can be done. Please, proceed as you would. My goal is for all of us to leave here alive and unnoticed." With nowhere else to rest, Kayne sat in the boat and waited for Jaspin to complete his spellwork. Occasionally he’d watch the former-apprentice, curious about the spellwork the man was performing, but also
Dice Perception Check:
1d20+2 (13)+2 Total = 15
kept an eye out to their surroundings for any potential threats. Nothing was exactly hospitable about the sewers… and it wasn’t necessary for a threat to be above the waterline, especially if it was arcane in nature.



OOC
 
__________________
PCs: Dramoth "Nova" / Rhokax Soulreader / Kayne Cyire / Torm / Donovan Whistler
GM: Scales of War 5e & Yeohven: Fall from Grace
Real Life hitting harder and harder. Working on updates as soon as I can, please have pity (patience) on me!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-05-2018, 05:33 PM
kymrel's Avatar
kymrel kymrel is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-03-2020
RPXP: 4602
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Posts: 2,768
Akrin Velt, AKA Jaspin Howser
right-aligned image
When he’s finally finished casting his spell, grateful for the silence in the boat as he concentrated on his work, Akrin stands up again, quickly wraps his book of rituals back in the oilskin he keeps it in and stows it in his pack. As he does, he glances over his companions, noting that none of them appear to have either enchanted items or ongoing spells. Well, apart from the very obvious enchanted light Dehan has conjured. So the man isn’t a complete fraud then.

The thief then maneuvers the boat a little closer to the illusionary wall. While his spell doesn’t cause the illusion to fail, he does sense its presence. He gingerly touches the wall and the ledge it hides, looking for signs of both mundane and magical traps. Eventually he leans in and gets his upper body, head and hands, through the spell, grateful for the light Dehan has provided. He slowly works around the opening, looking for signs of trouble. Anything might give a trap away.

The mundane ones are easy, the trick is to find the magical ones before they either set of some sort of an alarm, or simply burn the would-be infiltrator to crisp. There can be signs. Small rodents sometimes get fried by such traps, leaving dark stains even if the area is cleared of bones. And sometimes the casters get sloppy and inscribe a rune that is actually rendered visible by his magical detection ritual. Anything is possible.

After spending several minutes on his thorough investigation he finally touches the edge gingerly with his hand, running his fingers along the stone ledge slowly, looking for something his eyes are missing. He even dips his hand in the fetid water and gently sprinkles the foul water over the entrance to see if anything happens. When it doesn’t he looks at Dehan and shrugs. ”Seems our wizard hasn’t trapped the entrance at least,” he says, and Dehan’s nod tells him the conman, or reformed thief if his tale turns out to be true, concurs.

”Only one thing left to do,” he says as he steps through the illusionary wall and onto the ledge, continuing his investigation in the passageway beyond. After another couple of minutes he is satisfied that there are no traps there, or rather, if there are traps there they are masterfully hidden.

”Well, you guys didn’t come all this way to sit in a boat, did you?” he says with a grin as his head appears through the illusionary wall. ”Now, I didn’t find anything dangerous here, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t something hidden I couldn’t find. The owner is a powerful Phaedashyn wizard, after all. So I suggest you let me lead the way for now. I’m lighter than the rest of you and quite possibly quicker to react if anything happens.

He then disappears behind the illusionary wall again, before turning back and peering through it again. ”Oh, and if you can lift the boat and get it into the corridor that would be good, I think. That way it won’t be seen if we have the sheer misfortune of someone traversing this fetid tunnel while we are in there. I suppose the water is shallow enough to wade through but I’d prefer to have a boat waiting for me when we go back,” he says before vanishing through the illusionary wall again.

OOC
 

 
__________________
People say I'm evil and twisted, but I really have the heart of a young boy. In a jar, on my desk.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-06-2018, 07:31 AM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-03-2020
RPXP: 10878
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 7,815
A beginning
right-aligned image
Dehan Deadwood
With Dehan's assistance, Jaspin was able to ensure the passage was devoid of any nasty surprises. He gave a bow, ushering the paladins ahead into the tunnel behind the illusory wall and offered his assistance to Foralvic getting the boat out of the water.

"Master dwarf. Pulling the boat out and setting it within the illusory wall is a sound idea. Allow me to assist you in this endeavor."

Who the hell is this dwarf and why does he insist on trying to out me?






 


 
__________________
I have taken the Oath.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-06-2018, 11:19 AM
Saratek's Avatar
Saratek Saratek is offline
New User of Reach Weapons
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-03-2020
RPXP: 12425
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Posts: 9,720
Constance Wintersborne
Human Order of the Dusk Paladin of Vengeance

They were all crazy… All of them. 'How?' was the only question Constance could seem to come up with in her mind. How were they going to be able to work together to get this done? How would they be able to keep their composure and not ruin this whole mission with their mouths. It had been said they were supposed to be subtle in their entrance of the tower, and yet they seemed to still be in the midst of their measuring contest. Snark seemed to be the language of choice.

But Constance wasn't going to get in the middle of it. In fact, when Dehan offered the help with the boat, the woman finally pushed herself up from the bench where she'd been sitting, holding a lit torch to provide light for those that couldn't see in the utter darkness of the sewer. "I'm taking rear guard," the woman said lifting her glaive in the air slightly as if that was enough of a reason for it. Stepping through the illusionary wall with a bit of hesitation, despite others passing in and out of it, Constance tossed the torch ahead a few feet ahead of her before taking hold of the anchor line of the small boat she'd carried with her.

Not assuming Dehan would offer the same aid to her that had been offered to Foralvic, Constance grabbed the edge of the boat and attempted to haul in into the tunnel. (If it doesn't fit, she'll use the anchor rope to tie the boat off to one of the bars of the sewage pipe.If it looks to fit, of course) Once the boat was handled, and marching order was decided, with Constance clearly not budging on her decision to take up the rear of the formation, the woman picked up her torch again, glaive carried ready in her other hand, and proceeded slowly, without word, behind the others as they crept their way up into the tower.


 
__________________
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.~Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-06-2018, 06:21 PM
PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-07-2019
RPXP: 575
PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab
Posts: 669
It All Comes Together
left-aligned image
Foralvic's mouth curled a bit, seeing "Dehan's" face twitch. The dwarf's mind flashed back to the old hallowed competitive tradition of Shredders - scrotum smashing. The first Shredder to make any sort of reaction would be out of the game, the winner of the entire tourney to gain drinks and kudos from his fellow brothers, as well as the company of a number of fine ladies who would apply the proper herbs to heal his mashed testicles as well as other, more intimate, ministrations. He had the shady bastard to rights, now. Now he just needed to look for a good opportunity, follow his mission through. He gave Neddy a smile which looked like a nasty leer.

The pretty-boy paladin interrupted Foralvic's thoughts. The dwarf replied to him, "Naw, naw. Foralvic's definitely my name, man. Foralvic Steelhoof. 'Neddy' is Deception Check = 16just, um, a Dwarven word. Means we'll get it done right - get it done in about - heh - 'Ten-Cuts.'"

Foralvic looked over to Neddy again as he brought up another of his aliases, to see if there was some other sort of reaction. Can't help but to be sure, right?

As Constance began to lift the boat up and out of the water, Foralvic hurried over to assist the other paladin. Ladies love being helped, especially by a hunk like me, Foralvic thought. As he bent down to pick up the other end of the boat, however, his target came over and started to talk to him like a total cockblock.

"Uh, thanks," Foralvic said flatly, as Neddy's "help" made things a bit more awkward given their height differences, leaving most of the boat's weight to still be borne by Constance. With a shake of his head, Foralvic thought, "Well, at least there's gonna be some excitement in a little bit. Been bored by these weirdos for way too long."

He pulled out the large battleaxe off his back and took it into both hands, setting down the hallway behind the two burglars and looking intently at Neddy's vulnerable back.

 


 


Last edited by PeasOfCrab; 08-06-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:23 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB