Game Thread Legacy of Ruin -Chapter I: The Wizard's Tower - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Haryn: Where Gods Tread
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-27-2018, 12:35 PM
DarkPaladin's Avatar
DarkPaladin DarkPaladin is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-31-2019
RPXP: 2550
DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin
Posts: 1,928
Legacy of Ruin -Chapter I: The Wizard's Tower

An Abandoned Warehouse
right-aligned image
What little sunlight that had broken through in the afternoons of the prior few days had retreated behind Nesathra's familiar thick, heavy cloudcover. The skies threatened rain throughout the day, but the skies never opened up, just large looming, churning stormclouds bullying the sun into hiding. When even the dim light of the cloud-covered sun began to retreat, dusk came quickly as twilight was as dark and starless as the night.

The thick, tall stone wall surrounding the aristocracy's manors, gardens, and other grandiose buildings loomed over the neighboring buildings. Built on a gently sloping hill, the fifteen wall seemed even higher as the buildings were built on the slope below it. Little Oak Street ran parallel to the wall, several streets back, intersecting with one of the major thoroughfares of Broadway. During the day, Broadway was a bustle of activity, with servants and couriers coming from Thousand Oaks to conduct shopping, while others from the Square and other neighborhoods coming for the same, or to work in the various shops. However, this section of Broadway was relatively empty at night due to the lack of taverns, inns, and other establishments, so the only activity at this time of day were store owners and clerks hurriedly closing up their respective shops so they could hurry home to their families.

In the distance ahead of you, Acertap’s tall tower loomed over the Thousand Oaks wall like a dark, imposing sentinel. But as you approached the intersection of Broadway the sight of the tower was blocked by the two story wooden building in front of you. Clearly dilapidated and long abandoned, the broad barn-like front doors facing Broadway were heavily boarded up and clearly inaccessible. Looking up you could see dirty, smudged glass panes around the upper level. It would be difficult and far from cover to attempt to climb up and fit through those tiny glass panes. Circling around onto Little Oak revealed a back entrance—a small door that was inconspicuously unbarred. Closing your hand on the handle and pulling gingerly, the door opened without a sound—despite the rusty hinges of the door. Clearly someone had thought ahead and prepared for your arrival.

Ducking inside you saw the inside of the warehouse matched the exterior. Dust was heavy throughout the building and the wooden floorboards had largely collapsed due to rot. Inside was muggy and smell of vermin mixed with the slightly sweet stench of sewage. In the center of the warehouse was a large waterway filled with green, algae covered water. At one point the waterway was likely a canal that could be transported elsewhere along the Sewer systems are largely unused in most major cities. Only parts of Carsaphus and Erethambria have any sort of sewer system. Nesathra had an extensive canal system for irrigation, plumbing, travel, and separate sewage and waste disposal place over 500 years ago, but its continued expansion and upkeep ceased following the expulsion of Fehnrial, and since the city has expanded greatly since then, fell into disuse and became a wretched place of filthcity, but the canal and the water must have fallen into disarray as the city grew and was subsequently abandoned. Despite the poor condition of the warehouse filled with cobwebs, a freshly placed boat bobbed in the brackish green water, waiting to be untied and taken into the dark canal that was your destination.

A careful glance revealed that you were the first to arrive. . .



OOC
 
__________________
We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.
Pillaging in Saga of the Jomsvikings, surviving the trap of Krakole Pass, and Weaving the Epic Saga of Haryn
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-27-2018, 02:26 PM
kymrel's Avatar
kymrel kymrel is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-31-2020
RPXP: 4564
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Posts: 2,758
Akrin Velt, AKA Jaspin Howser
right-aligned image
Arriving early, Akrin spends almost half an hour watching the building the meeting is supposed to take place from a dark alley a little down the street. He then carefully makes his way to the building, opening the door and peering inside. When he finds the building empty he carefully makes his way inside the building, examining the floor as he walks both to avoid going through any rotted planks and to avoid stepping on floorboards that are likely to creek.

He glances at the boat, which clearly hasn’t been there for very long. At least that indicates that some planning has gone into this heist, if that is what this is going to be, which is a comforting thought. Akrin finds a comfortable position next to what was once a storage closet of some description. The doors might have fallen off years ago, but the protruding side walls of the closet make for a decent enough hiding place, and by laying a loose floorboard against the wall it would be a simple matter to get up to the walkway above. From there he could get to the window and escape, if this turns out to be a weirdly elaborate trap. Not that he finds that particularly likely, but a Maccinor doesn’t survive without a healthy dose of paranoia.

Once he’s in position, Akrin settles down and waits for the first of this weird burglary crew to arrive. When the door opens and the person entering doesn’t seem to be a guard or a Summoner, he steps out from his hiding place with a neutral expression. “Good evening,” he says evenly.

OOC
 

 
__________________
People say I'm evil and twisted, but I really have the heart of a young boy. In a jar, on my desk.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-27-2018, 05:56 PM
PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-07-2019
RPXP: 575
PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab
Posts: 669
Streets Behind
left-aligned image

Conspicuously standing in the middle of Broadway, Foralvic slapped at the bugs that were buzzing in his ears. They had followed him all the way from the Narrows, captivated by his rank, salty odor and they did nothing to improve his humor. Indeed, his surly expression carried more signs of discomfort rather than his usual free-spirited maliciousness. For Foralvic was lost. Only upon reaching the declining activity of Broadway had he realized... he hadn't remembered which street was supposed to mark the meeting point for this operation. He knew he still had a little time to spare but it wouldn't do to show up late and for them to get the job underway without him. His dreams were on the line here!

So, Foralvic parked himself in the middle of the Broadway, hands on his hips. The spikes affixed to his gauntlets scraped and squeaked against the scales of his armor, jutting out as they did over his knuckles and pressing into his sides. However, this was not the dwarf's concern at the moment. Glaring around, he hoped to catch sight of the average-looking man; the tall, bearded ******bag; or maybe some religious-looking folk, particularly in armor. Having finally seen someone come down the road, he waved at them to catch their eye, causing his spikes to shake back and forth, some even clattering as the large battleaxe on his back smacked into them.

"Uh, hey... Tower... time, am I right?" he asked them, with a gruff, uncertain laugh as they came within talking distance.

 


 


Last edited by PeasOfCrab; 07-28-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-28-2018, 02:11 AM
Saratek's Avatar
Saratek Saratek is offline
New User of Reach Weapons
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-31-2020
RPXP: 12425
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Posts: 9,688
Constance Wintersborne
Human Order of the Dusk Paladin of Vengeance

"That would be right, Master Dwarf. Let's just not be so public about it, hmmm?" the fiery woman chirped off in Dwarven as she waved the battlerager along with her into the building. Constance was in no mood to discuss the trouble she'd gone through to go unnoticed in her approach, but it seemed those While she wore her armor, the tabard and any other insignia designating her as a Paladin of a Holy Order was gone. While she knew that any display of her divine power would give her away, and it wasn't like there was just random, free-roaming, non-Wardhyr associated Paladins out there. You didn't become a Holy Warrior without being part of the Church. It was just the way things were.

The light sound of her chainmail clanging made it clear that she'd shown up prepared for a fight. While there had been an understanding of stealth, there was also a reason the Prefect had sought out a couple of thieves to aid the divine mission. The tall glaive put the stamp on it all. Switching back to common for the benefit of both in the room, Constance offered each a nod as she introduced herself, "Constance," simple and asked bluntly, "So you two the pair of thieves?" If there was one thing clear about the woman, she didn't mind a bit of bluntness if it meant cutting through the pleasantries, but the woman doubted that the dwarf in his spiked armor with a massive axe wasn't one of these sneakthieves the Prefect had mentioned.


 
__________________
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.~Douglas Adams

Last edited by Saratek; 07-28-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-28-2018, 03:41 PM
kymrel's Avatar
kymrel kymrel is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-31-2020
RPXP: 4564
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Posts: 2,758
Akrin Velt, AKA Jaspin Howser
right-aligned image
Akrin watches from the shadows as a woman of about average height but powerfully built enters the building with the dwarf from last night in tow. After greeting the pair of them she introduces herself as Constance and asks if the two of them are the pair of thieves hired for the job.

He looks appraisingly at the woman. Heavily armored, a blooming glaive in hand. This job is not going to have a happy ending. “Yeah, that’s us. I’m Jaspin and this is Foralvic. Don’t let his appearance fool you. He is, in fact, the best cat burglar you have ever seen,” he says, sarcasm dripping off his voice. “Assuming you haven’t seen any cat burglars, that is. I’m one of the infiltration specialists, the other isn’t here yet," he says, wondering when the rest of this elite team of specialists is going to show up.

"Constance, eh? No last name. How sad, it almost feels as if you don't trust us," he says, quite aware of the fact that also only gave her his first fake name. "What is your role in all this, Constance? You don’t strike me as an Aspirant of Kedregan, or a halfling for that matter, so I suppose you must be one of the warriors specializing in dealing with the undead and dark magical forces. Out of curiosity, which order do you and your fellow vanquisher of the undead belong to? I assume you belong to an order. The scent of incense and prayers is practically overwhelming. And why did the guys putting the job together think we needed a dwarven muscle and not one but two warriors specializing in dealing with the occult? I assume they don’t think this will be a quick in-and-out-undetected kind of a job?”

OOC
 

 
__________________
People say I'm evil and twisted, but I really have the heart of a young boy. In a jar, on my desk.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-28-2018, 04:12 PM
Saratek's Avatar
Saratek Saratek is offline
New User of Reach Weapons
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-31-2020
RPXP: 12425
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Posts: 9,688
Constance Wintersborne
Human Order of the Dusk Paladin of Vengeance

That look that all Paladins seemed to master, a look of stern stoicism, came over the woman's features as she took in the frail-looking man's sarcasm. That visage didn't change, besides a raising of her eyebrow, as the thief extended that momentary ribbing into a line of questioning Constance was neither prepared for nor willing to be so forthcoming. Leaning on her glave as the butt dug into the floor, the woman frowned, shrugged and held up her palms defeatedly, "No idea. I'm just here in case I'm needed." She turned the frown into a curt smile as she decided to settle in and see who would show up next. It was clear that this would be an eclectic group, despite the direction of the mission at hand.


 
__________________
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.~Douglas Adams

Last edited by Saratek; 07-29-2018 at 01:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-28-2018, 04:30 PM
PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-07-2019
RPXP: 575
PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab PeasOfCrab
Posts: 669
Started from the Bottom
left-aligned image

Foralvic's eyes widened in surprise, hearing the language of his people come from the mouth of the armored woman. Giving a not-terribly-subtle wink in response to her request for discretion, he followed her down the road and off onto Little Oak. Trailing several feet back behind his fellow warrior the entire way, he stared intently and imaginatively at the region of what he was certain was an extremely toned posterior.

Making her way to a different sort of back door, the paladin efficiently and smoothly pulled the door open. Following her, Foralvic closed it as gingerly as possible for a burly dwarf. He stepped to one side of Constance to get further into the building as she had stopped in place, aware of something or someone. Suddenly, the average-looking man he met yesterday spoke from the shadows.

"Good evening."

*CRACK*

Foralvic's foot smashed through one of the rotted floorboards when he tried to settle his weight off to one side. Clearing his throat, he nodded at the other two as though that had been his intention and pulled his boot out from the floor. Finding a better spot, he settled into place and crossed his arms as he stood there, embarrassment keeping him from involving himself in the pair's exchange. It died off soon enough, however, the sneak-thief's verbosity matched by the unmovable object of the paladin's terseness. Just another thing to like about the woman. In the silence of waiting for the next arrival, he spoke to her in Dwarven, "So, you a Citizen? Your Dwarf's pretty good but it has that Arcist flavor, you know? Just came from there myself. Glory to Velar and all that good sh*t."

 


 


Last edited by PeasOfCrab; 07-28-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-28-2018, 05:15 PM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-30-2020
RPXP: 10878
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 7,796
A beginning
right-aligned image
Dehan Deadwood
Neddy padded silently down the empty streets lost in thought. For a mission intended to slip in and slip out, there was quite a bit of muscle involved. How many guards could Acertap fit in one tower? No mind. He wondered how much the dwarf and thief had bought his line about being a priest...probably didn't matter in the end. The dwarf would head butt swords and the burglar would burgle...if that was even a word. He arrived at the warehouse in enough time to confirm his suspicions that the idea of stealth and secrecy would be lost on the dwarf. He not only announced himself but his intentions in the middle of the street. The woman, judging by the giant halberd and jingle of mail, must be one of the paladins.

He waited for them to enter before slowly making his way across the street. One last
Dice perception:
1d20+3 (18)+3 Total = 21
look around to ensure he hadn't been followed, and he walked into the warehouse himself.

Foralvic and the woman, Constance, were present in addition to the burglar, Jaspin. Of their mission's 'commander', the halfling or the other paladin, there was no sign.

"Foralvic, Jaspin, a pleasure once again." He turned to address the paladin. Usually a stodgy bunch, he laid on the charm. "And greetings to you as well. My name is Dehan Deadwood. May Ahlya bless us on this quest to root out evil and darkness. While I have some past experience in burglary...I offer my humble healing services to you brave men and women who put themselves in harm's way in service to all."



 


 
__________________
I have taken the Oath.

Last edited by tomplum; 07-30-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-30-2018, 06:45 AM
kymrel's Avatar
kymrel kymrel is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-31-2020
RPXP: 4564
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Posts: 2,758
Akrin Velt, AKA Jaspin Howser
right-aligned image
Akrin peers suspiciously at Folovic as he speaks to Constance in a language he’s pretty sure is dwarvish. He is uncomfortable with it since there would be no reason for the dwarf to speak in that language except to talk about him. Assuming Constance even understands what the little fellow is saying, of course. It could just be the dwarf trying to find out if either of them speak his language though, so he tries not to be paranoid about it, merely watching the expressions on the faces of his two companions carefully for any indication that they are talking about him.

His thoughts are interrupted when Dehan walked into the warehouse. He nods at the man. “Good to see that a reformed man of faith can arrive in a timely fashion. We are still waiting for our fearless leader and one of the occult specialists, who are not as punctual,” he says, smirking at Dehan’s introduction to Constance. That man thinks he’s a lot smoother than he really is, Akrin decides.

Tooth takes this opportunity to climb out of Akrin’s side pocket, up the front of his tunic and onto his shoulder. Akrin gets a piece of dried jerky from his belt pouch and offers it to the dark-brown weasel. “Don’t mind Tooth here. He’ll steal your food if you let him but that’s about the most harm he can do. Well, unless you count biting, but he only bites if you wiggle your fingers at him. He likes to hunt and eat maggots and I suppose fingers might look like fat worms to someone like him,” he says, scratching the animal’s cheeks with his left hand as it chews on the tough meat.

OOC
 

 
__________________
People say I'm evil and twisted, but I really have the heart of a young boy. In a jar, on my desk.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-31-2018, 05:48 PM
MontageManiac's Avatar
MontageManiac MontageManiac is offline
Simple Storysmith
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-18-2020
RPXP: 9253
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Posts: 7,660
Kayne Cyire | Male Half-Elf: Hexblade (1) / Paladin (2) | Level 3


HP: 29/29 | AC: 19 (Disadvantage on Stealth) | Speed: 30' | Hit Dice: 1d8 / 2d10 | Status: Normal


 



Acertap’s tower loomed beyond the wall, as a symbol of extravagance, a warning to trespassers, and most importantly within Kayne’s context, the destination where they would prove a man’s folly, or feel the fools for doubting.

A typical witch-hunt it seemed. Potentially a waste of their collective times, but who was he to argue with a High Prefect’s visions and guarded worry. The last thing this paladin would want is to see Summoner’s coming through town to judge those, guilty or not, of crimes they may or may not have committed. They were the precise blade to the Summoner’s hammer. So, as a practiced blade, it was about time to commence their operation.

Arriving earlier in the day, Kayne had seen the warehouse and the boat within, along with no sign of their other colleagues. Turning up little information from the day before about their assignment from the common folk in town, Kayne resigned himself to waiting outside and observing who walked by or took interest in the warehouse. He wasn’t hard to spot if you looked for him, and even watched the dwarf meandering in the middle of the street, and Constance approaching the man to set him on his way. With the three within, Kayne was about to step out and enter the warehouse as well, but watched as a shady looking figured proceeded to enter the warehouse as well.

Two sneak-thieves become two plus one… already a change of course…

Standing from his stooped seat, Kayne brushes the dust that may have settled on his dark leathers and scale mail, and steps forward towards the warehouse, entering through the side door as he had earlier, and moved slowly along the edge of the warehouse.

"Foralvic, Jaspin, a pleasure once again. And greetings to you as well. My name is Dehan Deadwood…"

He listened to the conversations, slowly making his way towards the group, not bothering to hide, even if he could, how his scale mail slinked and clinked a she walked, and his longsword sheath slide against his slung shield clapping gently against one another as he took each step.

"...are still waiting for our fearless leader and one of the occult specialists, who are not as punctual…"

The floorboards creaked as Kayne stepped out from the obscured sides of the warehouse and stepped towards the waterway with the boat, while the first man to arrive was playing with some animal on his shoulder amonst the rest of the group. Keeping his black hair pulled back, obscuring the tips of his ears, Kayne looked around at the rest of the group who had been gathered, Omrik still missing. A pang of paranoia seeped through Kayne’s mind, wondering where their leader for this assignment was... the High Prefect would like the paladins even less if they did not perform well in protecting the Aspirant.

"We’re less occult specialists, and more along the lines of occult specialist hunters." Kayne brings his eyes towards Jaspin, the man who made the astute observation about not being as punctual. "While I can appreciate the inconvenience at not being punctual to this meeting, I was looking to assure myself that I was not being punctual to an early demise."

Glancing now at the dwarf, Constance, and Dehan Deadwood, the holy man who felt like singing all his praises to the gods to make sure we knew he was devout despite being a thief, Kayne couldn’t help but wonder how exactly this was going to be pulled off.

Directing his attention to Jaspin and then Dehan, "So, I assume you two will be responsible for bringing us quietly to our target. While I find it a little difficult to believe that the two of this group that seem to talk the most can maintain quiet, it should be obvious to you that my colleague and I have to maintain a degree to protection to make sure everyone makes it out of this venture alive. Secrecy and stealth are paramount. We cannot be detected, and there is no aid except for what we bring in with us. My question would be how you plan on getting us in quietly… thoughts?"

Despite his ribbing, Kayne knew he didn’t have any experience with sneaking around, and neither he or Constance were going to make it easy for them with the weaponry and armor they required to bring with them to the tower. So best to put it all out there and get some guidance from their sneak-thieves on how to actually sneak in.


OOC
 
__________________
PCs: Dramoth "Nova" / Rhokax Soulreader / Kayne Cyire / Torm / Donovan Whistler
GM: Scales of War 5e & Yeohven: Fall from Grace
Real Life hitting harder and harder. Working on updates as soon as I can, please have pity (patience) on me!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-31-2018, 07:08 PM
kymrel's Avatar
kymrel kymrel is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-31-2020
RPXP: 4564
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Posts: 2,758
Akrin Velt, AKA Jaspin Howser
right-aligned image
Watching the newcomer, presumably the half-elven bully-man, entering the warehouse, Akrin falls silent, allowing the man to say his piece. Clearly this job is a terrible idea and he has to come up with some sort of reason for a man like Jaspin to continue, since a thief for hire would have no reason to stick to a job this badly planned.

As the new guy finishes, Akrin shakes his head a little and then bursts out laughing. “Is this some sort of a joke, man with either no name or no manners?” he asks mockingly. “Let me get this straight. I am hired and given no information other than to meet you and this Kedregan-follower here in this warehouse, and the first thing you ask me is if I have a plan to get you into the tower we are apparently supposed to break into?” Akrin hisses.

“Unless our short-legged leader, who must have been detained taking care of really important business since he’s not here yet, has a brilliant plan for how to get us in, this has to be the worst job I have ever had the misfortune of hearing about, let alone be a part of,” he continues. Tooth finishes his jerky and climbs back down into his pocket, but Akrin ignores his furry pet.

“All we have been told is that we are supposed to meet the rest of you here. And we have also guessed, more or less, what tower we are supposed to infiltrate. But if you want me to come up with a plan you can first of all tell me what we are retrieving from that tower and then fork over a tidy sum of coins. Then you simply go away for a month or so and do whatever holy work you need to be doing. When you come back I will have done my due diligence and come up with a plan. It is possible that I can use Dechan here for that plan, the rest of you will be as useful as barrels of oils in a warehouse on fire. I will then give you whatever it is you wanted stolen from that tower, you will hand over an even more sizable sum of coins and we will never have to see each other again,” he continues, rather enjoying his rant.

“That is how these things happen, mister man with no name. And, speaking only for myself, I can assure you that bringing people in heavy armor with no experience in work of this kind unseen and unheard into a guarded building simply isn’t going to happen without some potent magic. Perhaps that is why the Kedregan-fellow has been left in charge. Perhaps he can get a mighty blessing that will make you all quieter than Tooth here,” he says, lifting the limp-looking weasel out of his pocket. The furry animal looks annoyed, tries to bite his hand and then quickly gets back to the pocket.

“Right now, I’m inclined to walk away. I am a specialist for hire, and I don’t do suicide missions. Can’t enjoy your payment when you’re dead. But I’m a reasonable fellow. So I’ll wait for your leader and see what plan he has for us, if we are to enter this tower tonight.”

Akrin falls silent, peering at the man. He might have overdone it a bit. It’s just a little hard to stop when on a good rant.

OOC
 

 
__________________
People say I'm evil and twisted, but I really have the heart of a young boy. In a jar, on my desk.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-01-2018, 07:59 AM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-30-2020
RPXP: 10878
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 7,796
A beginning
right-aligned image
Dehan Deadwood
While they waited for their druidic 'leader' the 'professional' thief, Jaspin, decided now would be the best time to vent his frustrations about what he considered a less than optimal start to a job. Shaking his head, Neddy couldn't help but retort.

"Ya know, for a 'professional', you sure do whine a lot about risk. Its obvious what the play is here. That tunnel leads to a entrance into the bottom of the tower. Gods know what will be there to prevent us from gaining access but that's what we're all here for. If its locked or trapped...we have our professional burglar. If there is a tomb with a bunch of walking skeletons guarding a door, we have our brave paladins. If there's a six-hundred pound gorilla restricting entry, we have a dwarf."

"Where did you get the notion that anyone wants something stolen from the tower? We're here to ascertain if Acertap is dabbling in dark magics. To do that we'll undoubtedly need to scour every inch of that tower. It may be a secured fortress from the outside but I doubt he does things others would shirk at on his dining hall table."

"And stop worrying so much about dying. You've got three bonafide bad asses at your disposal raring and ready to stomp whatever threat stands in our way. If a trap does go sideways we've got healing magic readily at our disposal. I'm sure both of our knights are skilled in the healing arts and I am a priest after all."

"We'll take good care of you."
Neddy tried not to allow the last sentence drip with quite so much sarcasm but his attempt didn't take well. How much of a professional was this guy if his nerves went this quick before they'd even started the job?





 


 
__________________
I have taken the Oath.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-01-2018, 04:52 PM
DarkPaladin's Avatar
DarkPaladin DarkPaladin is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-31-2019
RPXP: 2550
DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin DarkPaladin
Posts: 1,928
The Untimely Leader
left-aligned image
After "Jaspin" finishes his rant followed by "Dehan's" chiding, a sullen silence fell over the group as they waited for the final member's arrival. The paladins' and dwarf's armor clinked when any of them so much as shifted feet, and Toothy's squeak would occasionally break the silence, but no one else wanted to attempt conversation among this surly lot.

Five minutes turned into ten, and finally thirty. At this point, everyone was their own combination of furious and nervous. Out of sheer boredom, “Dehan” descended down to the warehouse’s lower level to look over the boat waiting for them. The boat looked well sealed, well made, and without any sort of defects. Much to Neddys' surprise, place carefully on the middle of the benches was a tightly rolled oilskin and a small, smooth gray river stone. Curious, Dehan reached down and grabbed both, but as his finger brushed against the cool stone surface, a voice echoed throughout the warehouse—not booming and loud, but even-toned and with enough volume to carry just to the ears of those inside.

“Apologies for not meeting you here personally. Omrik Lindal here, the appointed leader of this expedition. After careful consideration and planning I decided it was best that I use my powers as an Aspirant and ability to change into small beasts to initially infiltrate the tower. My ability to scout and review information may make it unnecessary for the rest of you to risk your lives. I have placed the map of the canals that will lead you to the secret entrance to the subbasement of Acertap’s tower. I will meet you inside the subbasement and provide whatever reconnaissance I have gathered before we move forward. In my stead, I trust Ser Constance to take the lead and see you safely reach the rendevous. I look forward to seeing the rest of you—in person—soon.”


And with that, the magic of the spell fades and tense silence returns. Unfurling the rolled oilskin reveals a detailed map of the twisting Nesathran sewer canals with a clear mark of the warehouse starting location and how to reach the bottom of Acertap’s tower. The dark tunnel with still, equally dark water waited for the misfit group to move forward.
__________________
We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.
Pillaging in Saga of the Jomsvikings, surviving the trap of Krakole Pass, and Weaving the Epic Saga of Haryn
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-01-2018, 06:41 PM
kymrel's Avatar
kymrel kymrel is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-31-2020
RPXP: 4564
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Posts: 2,758
Akrin Velt, AKA Jaspin Howser
right-aligned image
Since he is in no mood to continue the conversation with Dehan, having made the point someone like Jaspin would have made, Akrin falls silent. After waiting in silence for what seems like eternity, Dehan sets off some sort of a magical message from the leader of the expedition.

”Well, that actually makes sense,” Akrin says, pleasantly surprised with the development. “At least he is competent enough to do his due diligence, like he should if he’s running this show,” he continues. It feels strange trusting a stranger to plan this heist, or rather, as it would seem, an investigation of sorts. It might say something about the political power of Acertap that the church officials actually want real evidence in stead of just fabricating the evidence they need. Unless they just want the group to go in, make a racket and get out (at least some of them) and then present fabricated evidence as if the group had recovered it. It doesn’t matter. What matters is being part of the gig and thereby getting closer to the clergy. So he has no choice but to play along.

He gets into the boat, looking over Dehan’s shoulders to examine the map. ”Looks like we need to take the second exit to the right and then straight for a while,” he says. He grabs a couple of poles from the back of the boat and tosses one to the man who had not bothered giving his name, before pushing the other into the water as he prepares to push off.

”Are you coming or what?”

OOC
 

 
__________________
People say I'm evil and twisted, but I really have the heart of a young boy. In a jar, on my desk.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-01-2018, 10:11 PM
Saratek's Avatar
Saratek Saratek is offline
New User of Reach Weapons
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-31-2020
RPXP: 12425
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Posts: 9,688
Constance Wintersborne
Human Order of the Dusk Paladin of Vengeance

Constance was pretty sure she knew what her brain looked like with how often she found herself sighing and rolling her eyes. It was as if these men had never seen a woman in armor before. She knew female paladins were on the rare side, but she was sure she'd seen more than a few mercenaries and other armored women over the past couple of days in the city. She really wasn't as much of a unicorn as they seemed to make her out to be.

But of course the men had to be men, which included getting into an argument within two minutes of being around each other. Constance would have found it funny if it wasn't so very sad. Here they all were, about to infiltrate a dark wizard's tower, and three of the four couldn't be bothered to do anything besides make snide remarks about one another. At least the dwarf was the smart, reserved type that understood when there was a time for words, and when there weren't.

Just as Jaspin was getting into his rebuttal, Constance reached into her pack and pulled out a small sack of roasted peanuts. Opening it up, she began to pop them one at a time into her mouth as Dehan started into his rant. The paladin was absolutely thrilled by how well things were going already. It prompted her to just enjoy the break, since it seemed they were still waiting on their halfling leader, and tossed one of the peanuts at the dwarf. When his eyes turned, "Shoulda brought some ale," she said with a slight grin as he eyes cast back to the other two.

As the silence settled in, clearly no one wanting to be the first to say anything that could ignite the powder keg that was this unfortunately aligned group, Constance was left sitting on a ledge with her foot swinging free. The chain at her waist made small clanks with each swing, but it seemed to make no difference. They were due to wait. The one in charge wasn't there yet, and no matter how much they may believe they knew what to do, only Omrik would know for sure. So when the voice came, there was a small moment of hope that sprung to life in the woman before it was quickly snuffed. The halfling was apparently not showing up, but instead had gone about his own plan…

There was a moment of stunned silence before the redhead grunted and rolled her eyes at the situation they found themselves in, even as the magically passed words continued. The Paladin was in the process of throwing her pack on her shoulder when the haunting, bellowing voice spoke her name. The woman froze in place, looking like a statue made in mid action. Turning and looking at the others with widened eyes, Constance slowly stood up and slung her pack as she considered just what Omrik might be thinking, especially given how brief their encounter had been.

Jaspin didn't seem to be any mood to listen for even a squeak from the Paladin before rushing off down towards the origin of the message. Picking up her glaive and ducking her head a she made her way down to the subterranean canal, Constance didn't hesitate to step into the boat, causing it to rock back and forth suddenly, hopefully stifling Jaspin's hurry for a moment. For someone who ranted about not wanting to go on a suicide mission, he sure did seem ready to rush head first into the unknown. Constance could only assume it was more of the measuring contest going on between the three men, but in truth all she cared about was completing the mission and not causing a political incident along the way.

Taking a place on the boat, but offering no aid to the thieve's impatience, Constance pulled out the small bag of roasted nuts again and popped a few in her mouth. It was then that her eyes caught sight of the rodent poking its nose, followed by its head out of Jaspin's pocket. While they may have gone unnoticed before, it seemed the close proximity of the boat couldn't let the smell of the treats go unnoticed by the small critter. Glancing up and seeing Jaspin was still much more enthralled with getting everyone aboard and the boat moving, Constance slowly leaned over and gave the rodent a peanut, pulling back to sitting up in her seat on the bench quick, with a very poorly manufactured innocent look upon her face. If nothing else, at least "Tooth" was a redeeming quality of the thief.


 
__________________
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.~Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:33 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB