User Statistics
RPXP: 32141
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Tales from the Fen

Game Name
Tales from the Fen: Red Claw
"There ain't no laws while there's Red Claw around!~"
SystemDungeons and Dragons 5th Edition
ThemeParty of hired adventurers attempt to free town of odd booze-induced affliction
flavorHigh Fantasy, Dungeon Crawl, Humor, One-Shot
SettingGeneric
Summary
right-aligned image
by Cze & Peku
Plot Summary
Welcome to the growing port town of Knotside! After the most recent military expansion for the war front a respectable inflow of coin was given to the town and its denizens have prospered greatly for it. Business is flourishing, the fields are fertile, the fish are plenty, and the population growing by the week!

The early days of summer are upon the land as the sun has grown strong. Summer festivals fueled by local brewers have kept spirits high despite the growing heat. Yet something is amiss.
Not but five weeks ago, a new liquor called "Red Claw," had made its debut in the taverns of Knotside. Almost overnight its popularity sky rocketed! Within a matter of two days every drop of Red Claw alcohol had been bought and consumed! Anyone who took even a simple sip of the spirit found themselves wanting more. At first, these desires were naught but simple cravings like one might crave a simple sweet from time to time. As the days came and went without a new shipment in, that craving grew into a need. Then from a need to an obsession. Those who tasted its wonders would pay anything - do anything, if it meant they could taste Red Claw once more!

The last shipment that came two weeks ago didn't even make it to the first tavern before it was overran! Its contents spilling into the streets and the townies lapping the drink from the cobblestone streets like wild mutts! Riots broke out forcing the town militia to deploy, yet even half of their forces were under the drink's sway! Now, the town of Knotside faces possible collapse as the red-eyed Red Claw addicts stalk the streets, desperate for more!! The drink must never come to town again and a cure must be discovered!

A problem on top of the many at-hand is no one knows where this mysterious drink has come from! One thing is certain, though, whomever is brewing it must be stopped! Lest this affliction spread and collapse the entire region! Can you find the source and put an end to this booze-fueled curse?

Game Detail

Red Claw is a challenging location-based adventure for four 10th-level adventurers. While most encounters are designed for four 10th-level adventurers in mind, there are a few significantly more difficult challenges, so be weary!

Duke Hammin, the ruler over the region that Knotside resides in, has put an urgent request to the Adventurer's Guild (aka as simply "the Guild") for immediate aid!

After reviewing the situation and the possible threat of spreading you and your comrades were called upon, as well-respected/known Guild members, to address it. Whether you are an established team or independent agents, or even a mixture of the two; you all know of each enough to be acquaintances. You have been made aware of the enchanted drink and have been sent via coach wagon out to the location to investigate and put an end to this madness.

DM Note:
This One-shot is a pretty straight-forward dungeon crawl. Depending on post rate and the ever-volatile real life, I expect the game to last about six months.

Details
  • Allowed Sources: All official published sources allowed. CR's Blood Hunter allowed.
  • Restrictions: No Lucky feat or Silvery Barbs spell. No UA.
  • Level: Lv10
  • Multi-classing: Allowed but limited to one. {Allowed: Fighter 8, Sorc 2
    Not Allowed: Rogue 5, Fighter 3, Paladin 2
    example}
  • Attribute Scores: Standard Array, 27pt-buy, or 6x 4d6kh3 / rstat2
    If they are gods awful you can default to Standard Array/27pt-buy instead.
    rolled
  • HP - Max for 1st level, for each level after roll with re-rolling 1s or average. If you roll, and roll poorly, you cannot take average.
  • Alignments: Any but CE.
  • Gear:The following is obtained from pg. 38 of the DMG and will be what is used-
    • Starting Gear OR roll class gold
    • extra 500gp
    • extra 1d10*25gp
    • Background item(s) and gold
    • One uncommon magic item OR two common magic items. [DM reserves the right to veto]
  • Pantheon: Any
  • Character Advancement: None
  • Post-rate: 1-2/wk (excluding weekends)
  • Roll thread is over here if you wish to roll things while crafting your app.

Application ExpectationsProvide your typical app, please:
  • Name
  • Race
  • Class(es), and subclass(es)
  • Appearance
  • Brief history (there is no official setting so have fun with it!~)
  • A link or two to some posts you've made

I am looking for Four FIVE (5!) members to send in!
Applications close Jun 3rd!

Go nominate a cool post in PotM! Make someone's day!
Judging this year's Outplay competition, come cheer for the players!!

Last edited by Retry; May 31st, 2022 at 08:17 AM.
Old May 19th, 2022, 10:12 AM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics
Q&A
QuestionAnswer
(inferred question)Are dumb characters allowed?In every meaning of the sense 'dumb,' yes. This is a one-shot with the humor tag. As long as its not out-right disruptive, its cool.
Can I re-use an old character?Absolutely
Is the new Monsters of the Multiverse allowed?Yes, all official published sources are allowed
Why no Lucky/Silvery Barbs?To reduce possible confusion as players don't always read each other's posts. Mostly for the DM's sanity.
Is Blood Hunter allowed? yeah, that's fine
How do you make a link? use the following tag: [url="{Link URL}"]{text that will be hyperlinked}[/url] You can obtain a post's URL by right-clicking/tap-hold the # next to the scale icon in the top-right and copy address.
What are Artificer's starting gold?5d4x10gp (TCoE p.10, thanks Wyn!)
What about Blood hunter?There is no listing on dndb for this, use what Fighter's use.
So I can pick which source to use my race from?That's right. I do not wish to stand in the way of your character's concept too much.
Can I have a spell pre-cast on an item?Case-by-case approval. In the given case of a Continuous Flame cast on a rock in a locket, yes.
Can I get feedback?Outside of if you are missing part of the app, no.
Will we level in this one-shot?No
Will there be any long rests?I won't say "No" outright, but its very unlikely.

Applicants
PlayerNameRaceClassStatus
SaratekSpektreShadar-KaiOathbreaker/HexbladeComplete
Seekr34AthanasiosDhampirGloomstalker/ScoutComplete
BarrowBDirraMothman Custom LineageFey Wanderer/Light ClericComplete
OnwardPatinaHalf-elfLore BardComplete
BlackDragon00DemouseHalf-drowChampionComplete
TogotSnowHalf-elfNecromancerComplete
ElderOblexUzzaGoliathFighter/BattlesmithComplete
jbearShearStout HalflingBear Totem/SoulknifeComplete
WynamoinenYonteCustom LineageNature Cleric/ ArmorerComplete
DemonSlayerDelgLineage - RebornAlchemistComplete
PseudonymousMikey G & Matilda the goatHalflingCavalier/PaladinComplete
penbeast0PussytoesFairyChornurgy WizardComplete
YoshimiStewLizardfolkCreation BardComplete
MindsiegeAceKenkuOpen Hand Monk/Beast BarbComplete
97mgErelliHalf-elfThief/Great Old OneComplete
Azure NokoriRonnieHigh Elf Fighter/SwashbucklerComplete
Treble83JackHalf ElfSwashbucklerComplete
VislandsGelepagrosAmethyst DragonbornGraviturgy WizardComplete
secretIDThe Thithco KidGrungBattlemaster/AssassinComplete

Last edited by Retry; Jun 6th, 2022 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Updating tables
Old May 19th, 2022, 10:25 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4298
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Welcome back Retry! Sorry we never got to finish the Honey Heist.

Last edited by penbeast0; May 22nd, 2022 at 10:05 PM.
Old May 19th, 2022, 10:41 AM
Bad Robot

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18340
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Smitty Tank App
right-aligned image
Name: Spektre
Race: Shadar-Kai
Class(es), and subclass(es): Paladin (Oathbreaker)/Warlock(Hexblade)

Link

Last edited by Saratek; May 31st, 2022 at 09:19 AM.
Old May 19th, 2022, 11:38 AM
Your Local Cryptid

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8138
Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund
If my computer wasn't about to go to the manufacturer, I'd have a character up faster than you could BLINK! For any Game Thread lurkers, I highly recommend a Retry game!!
Old May 19th, 2022, 04:08 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5073
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Name: Athanasios Kalinstren
Race: Dhampir
Classes: 5th level Ranger Gloom Stalker/ 5th level Rogue Scout
Appearance: He looks like a typical human, young, around 20 perhaps, and very handsome with an athletic build. He stands at least six feet, sandy hair with a goatee, with dark brown eyes that seems to have experience the world more than a typical young man would. He is dressed in brown and green, the typical outfit of a ranger. A dagger sheathed at each thigh and at each side, with a bow at his back and a blade sheathed at each hip.
right-aligned image

Brief history:

A link or two to some posts you've made: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...26#post8284026

Last edited by Seekr34; May 21st, 2022 at 05:45 PM.
Old May 19th, 2022, 04:39 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34695
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Hoo boy I have a really dumb idea. I need to figure out if itís good-dumb, bad-dumb, or just dumb-dumb.
Old May 19th, 2022, 04:44 PM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3341
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
I have a ch from the first app on here has never been played it's been over a year. but it was point buy and lvs. if that's ok I'd like to drop him here see if he gets in.
Old May 19th, 2022, 04:49 PM
The King of Ducks

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1974
BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB
Application
right-aligned image

Name: Dirra
Race: Dhampir (previously aarakocra?, human-moth hybrid)
Class(es), and subclass(es): Ranger (Fey Wanderer) 5 / Cleric (Light) 5
Appearance: Dirra's face is always angry... at least in public. Even if she is very relaxed and content, she will keep a frown, to discourage people from talking to her. Her long, black hair are tied in two tails in the front, while loosely flowing on the back. She most often dresses in some sturdy armour and simple, black clothes to keep a low profile... Though, it's hard to not gather attention, when a big, white, fluffy collar, green, cloak-like wings and wide antennae are a part of your body. She rarely uncovers her arms, but when she does, she reveals a shield decorated in holy symbols and a long stick with floral patterns carved into it "Like I would need more, ugh..." .

Brief history:
I hate this world, I have everything about it! My mom keeps telling me, that it's just a phase... but it totally isn't! Since I was little, my parents kept forcing me to learn medicine and didn't care that I was bound to be some awesome artist. Just look at this diary! Isn't it like the best-thing-ever? Wait, who are you and why are you reading it? It's my private stuff, I will find you with some divination magic and beat you up. I've warned you!

Arguing with yourself again, Dirra? Good job, now back to the important stuff I hate...

Like... come on. A few years ago, I helped some injured stray dog, while I was taking a walk. Later that day I found some weird fruit, ate it an BOOM some arch-fey creep appears, giving me some dumb powers and telling me, that now I am a bridge between mortal and fey. WHO CARES?! They even made flowers grow on my body, gross! If being even a slightly moral being can give you magical powers, then it tells a lot about society.

Ever since then, those annoying fey things keep visiting me, to help them figure out their stuff, like I would even care. Eventually I had enough and moved out from my parents house, then again and again, but those things somehow kept finding me! I was even desperate enough to join a cult at some point... and it kind of worked, as the colourful weirdos turned out to be a bit disgusted by the divine forces. Or course, nothing good lasts forever, as it turned out, that everyone was so nice to me, only because I was supposed to be some kind of sacrifice to their goddess, ugh. They even begun transforming my body, to be a 'more fitting vessel' for her (yeah, you guys were ugly too, don't judge). At least I managed to escape in time.

Last few months, I was back to going from city to city, taking odd jobs. I eventually ended up in Knotside. This place is a war front, so on one hand, it's full of dumb, hot-headed people... but on the other hand, there are tons of opportunities of making a coin. Oh, but you know what? Remember the part about nothing good lasting? Yeah, those folk got addicted to some new drink and now ack like savages. I will totally solve this problem and become famous, just wait!

A link or two to some posts you've made: Post 1 Post 2

Background: Urchin
Magic item: (aarakocra can't fly in medium armour, so I want to flavour the boots as being able to fly but only a limited amount of time, because it's exhausting)Winged Boots
Feats: Mobile, Healer

Last edited by BarrowB; May 22nd, 2022 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Didn't notice the 'humor' tag, so doing big changes
Old May 19th, 2022, 05:00 PM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by penbeast0 View Post
Welcome back Retry! Sorry we never got to finish the Honey Heist.
Hey pen, nice to see you again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynamoinen View Post
Hoo boy I have a really dumb idea. I need to figure out if itís good-dumb, bad-dumb, or just dumb-dumb.
I accept all forms of dumb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDragon0 View Post
I have a ch from the first app on here has never been played it's been over a year. but it was point buy and lvs. if that's ok I'd like to drop him here see if he gets in.
Point buy is allowed, if accepted you'd just go through the motions of leveling them up to 10. I can aid with that if needed.

@BarrowB - i'm confused (in a good way) by the "human-moth hybrid" part. Are you submitting Mothman!?

Old May 19th, 2022, 05:16 PM
The King of Ducks

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1974
BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retry View Post
@BarrowB - i'm confused (in a good way) by the "human-moth hybrid" part. Are you submitting Mothman!?
Perhaps?

They are also a cleric of light, so distracting themselves with their own magic might be a problem.
Old May 19th, 2022, 06:55 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2674
Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward
Hah, this is interesting, consider this to be my placeholder.

App
right-aligned image

Name: Pastina PiccolaRapa
Race: Half-Elf
Class(es), and subclass(es): Lore Bard
Appearance: Pastina is pretty tall, she stands at a height of 6'0" and looks very athletic and lean, weighing at least 112 pounds. She has a petite frame, her skin complexion is white as pasta dough, her shoulder length hair is somewhat messy, her ears are both sharp as knives and she's often confused as an elf instead of being half of that. Her hair sports wavy yellowish noodle color, and her eyes are green like the color of chopped up bits of Basils. She carries a book and a strange looking rock most of the time. Her attire is a leather armor which is covered by her green sleeves and scarf, she also wears a brown skirt.

Brief history: Pastina is the youngest of the Pasta Sisters, a trio of half-elf sisters born from a famous pasta making family. The trio each became adventurers at the same time and separated to make their mark on the world. The eldest of the trio, Shagettio, went off to a different continent and became a well-known mage where she's from. Her older sister, Ravioli, was not well suited for adventure due to being born with a debilitating illness, yet she was a known bard doing small time work and sometimes taking over the family business. Though she often brags about impossible things like defeating a God, flirting with demons while being uncorruptible, and meeting a talking cat. Her fellow sisters didn't believe her much, but they humor her. Then we have Pastina, she's somewhat different from her highly intellectual and famous eldest, or as her strong willed and boastful sister. The only difference between them and her is that she wasn't much of an adventurer persay, she was a scholar. She didn't want to be a cook, mostly cause she was bad at it, but she was inspired by the greatest of things of all research, rocks. She found a cool rock one day and it was love at first sight, she right then and their started a long and ardous journey to collect the many strange rocks in the world, becoming an adventurer in the process. She was considered the odd ball of the trio (even odder then her older sibling) but is well known as an adventurer that takes dangerous and calculated risks, for rocks of course. Her way of fighting is somewhat in between with her sisters. She's learned the way of the bards from Rav and she learned the secrets of magic from Tio, making her somewhat of a mixed between the two sisters.

However, despite being a scholar, Pastina is bound to do missions for the Guild, (mostly to earn money for her research), so she often do their task when she has need of money. But, when the Guild contacted the Trio about news of a powerful beverage that was taking over the minds of hundreds of folks. She was immediately intrigued as she believes a rock of particular power might be in play, so she snatched up that mission, to the shocked of her sisters at her initiative (also as a general rule, the Pasta Trio can't work together in a mission mostly cause they simply bicker a lot whenever a fight starts). And so, Pastina makes her way to investigate the true properties of Red Claw, and hopes that it's an interesting rock for her to study.
A link or two to some posts you've made:
Link 1
Link 2

Last edited by Onward; May 19th, 2022 at 10:30 PM.
Old May 19th, 2022, 07:15 PM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3341
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
@Retry
He is lv 10. it's part of why I've had a hard time getting him in a game. The game he was built for was for lv 10. lots similar to your build. But wanted to be sure you were ok with it before applying.
Old May 19th, 2022, 08:01 PM
Lone Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6903
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
right-aligned image

Name: Snow Denius
Race: Half-elf
Class: Wizard/necromancer
Background: Sage
Alignment: lawful neutral
Personality trait:
1 I am quiet and keep to myself
2 i burn with a quiet smoldering anger that I fear will one day consume me.
Ideal: Vengeance. Those who harm the innocent must be punished
Bond: I sold my soul for knowledge. I hope to do great deeds with it and win it back
Flaw: My hatred blinds me and causes me to make unwise choices

Appearance: Snow is an albino with white skin, long white hair, and red eyes. He is tall, six foot one, but very slender. He has a grim expression and rarely smiles. He wears black leather decorated with various bones, and carries a war scythe that looks to be made out of bone for when he needs to get his hands dirty.

Personality: Snow is a quiet, reserved person who rarely smiles and almost never laughs. He is tunnel visioned on getting stronger to enact his revenge on his elven relatives and Is frustrated by anything that distracts him from furthering that goal. He is slow to trust new people, but once someone has proven themselves a friend to him, he is fiercely loyal to them.

Despite all his anger, Snow still has a kind heart for innocent people and will go out of his way to help others if he can. He doesn't want anyone else to suffer like he has, other than the snow elves. He is also very fond of animals and treats his zombie rat familiar like a living creature.

When it comes to anything other than his kin, Snow is calm and rational, even when being insulted or discriminated against. He simple doesn't think anything that isn't a snow elf is worth his anger.

Backstory:
Snow’s elven mother Tityanna Torsonna was from a tribe of elves who were extreme isolationists, xenophobes, and down right racist against all other races, especially humans. They lived in the cold north and survived mostly by hunting and fishing. Despite their hatred for the outside world, they did let a handful of merchants come to their frozen island to trade things that the snow elves couldn’t get themselves such as metal, fruits, and vegetables. Snows Father, Cairn Denius was one such merchant. His parents met and found each other enticingly exotic, and became lovers. When Tityanna discovered she was pregnant, she eloped with Cairn and fled her people, for they would murder her for laying with a human, and the child for being an abomination that tainted their pure bloodline.

The pair settled in a coastal village where Tityanna fished, and Cairn continued his work as a merchant. They made good money and lived comfortably. Unfortunately, Snow had a much harder time of it. Being not only an elf, but an albino, he was treated as a pariah by the other villagers and made few friends. This made him grow into a sad, lonely introvert.

Then they came.

The snow elves arrived in the village having heard rumors of one of their kind living there. They threatened to kill everyone in the village if they didn’t hand her over. To save the villagers, and Snow and her husband, Tityanna surrendered herself and was taken away. She told Snow and Cairn not to worry, that she would talk things over with her father. Even Snow knew this was a lie to make them feel better. His mother had often told him of how wicked her people were. She always told him to hide if he ever saw one, for they would kill him on sight.

Two weeks later, the elves returned. Cairn’s father went to meet with them, hoping desperately that his wife was with them, and she was…some of her anyway.

In his grief stricken anger, Cairn attacked the elves and was swiftly cut down, leaving Snow an orphan.

Snow watched the scene play out while hiding. He saw the sneering grins on the snow elves’ faces, and it lit a flame of hatred in him that never went out. He swore revenge against the snow elves. He would make them pay. He would wipe their race from existence for what they had done.

He took his inheritance and enrolled in a mages college to study magic. Like his mother, he had an affinity for magic, but there was one school he was especially proficient at, and fittingly enough it was the very school he most wanted to learn, for among his mothers stories of the snow elves, she had told him that there was one school of magic they hated. Necromancy.

Snow knew that to wipe out an entire race, he would need an army. Being not only a commoner, but a halfbreed who was not wealthy, there was no way for Snow to get an army of the living, but an army of the dead was doable.

While at the college, Snow made few friends, but one very unpleasant enemy. Darien Jakas was the son of a noble, and a vicious, cruel, entitled young man who took every opportunity to insult Snow. Snow paid him little mind, unwilling to waste his hatred and anger on anything other than the snow elves. His tunnel vision would cost him dearly, for necromancy was forbidden in the college and Snow taught himself in secret. He managed to animate a rat which he kept as a pet, but one day one of the masters barged into his room while his rat was out. At first Snow was confused as to the reason for the intrusion, but when he saw Darien standing in the hallway sneering at him, he understood. Somehow the human had learned of the rat and reported him.

Snow was expelled from the college and supported himself as an adventurer while continuing to study as best he could. He helped those who needed it, and killed those who deserved it, and along the way he gained a small reputation that drew the attention of his kin. it wasn't long before they sent assassins after him. rather than be afraid, he welcomed the chance to kill his cousins, for never did he lose sight of his ultimate goal. He would kill them. He would kill them all.

Post sample # 1
Post sample # 2
Old May 19th, 2022, 10:33 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2674
Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward
Alright, I think I'm done with my app, tell me if the links work.