GURPS At the Edge of Chaos - Recruitment Reopened - Page 13 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook facebook
0 4 9 0
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old Nov 16th, 2022, 10:11 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 139
galenbd galenbd
I'm considering a Raz'Ar spirit talker. Unlikely to be a urbane character as they would just as likely talk to a fencepost as a courtier.

I had a spirit talker character in a previous game that didn't get enough playtime, so I'm curious to try it again.
Old Nov 16th, 2022, 11:39 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21032
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Hi galenbd, sounds good. We actually haven't explored the concept of spirit too much in the game - it's just suggested that they exist - so it'd be interesting to get into that.

As a sidenote, while the Raz'Ar are focused on spirit talking as their main form of magical work, the Tsin Goun and Ilder also practise it widely, i.e. they produce spirit talkers of some variety pretty regularly as well. The To'Ari are quite comfortable communing with the spirits of the dead, as are the Ux and to some degree the Keita, but attempting to speak with nature in the same way is rarer. Just in case you didn't think there were options and just picked the one species that had spirits front and centre.

Another note on how the communication would happen - spirits of former sentients and animals will often be verbal, but nature spirits of very inert things commune more often in concepts and imagery rather than leading a conventional dialogue. Not that you would have to send mental hieroglyphics yourself, but you might have to adjust language to fit the kind of thing you are trying to chat to.

Mechanically, you'll like have some bread and butter spells to call forth/banish/etc spirits which you can then talk into doing stuff for you, but I will likely allow some spells to be used directly (without the talking beforehand) under the explanation that 'a spirit does it for you willingly.. It saves time and makes sure that when you play it out it's for bigger effects.

And a rural character is fine, but we'd have to make sure they have a solid (and broad) reason to adventure. Especially with nature-keepers you can end up with a PC that wants nothing but to 'stop and smell the roses', maybe literally, and it's hard to frame every quest as an ecological disaster. So that's something to keep in mind when fleshing out the personality of your character to be.

Last edited by Phettberg; Nov 16th, 2022 at 11:40 AM.
Old Nov 16th, 2022, 12:03 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
galenbd galenbd
Ok. That brings me to a few other questions then.

What magic system do you use for this game?
What is the general motivation of the group? Money? Exploration?
Old Nov 16th, 2022, 03:30 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by galenbd View Post
What magic system do you use for this game?
It sounds like you might know GURPS, but let me know if that's not the case.

The answer is, we've used virtually all magic systems outlined in GURPS Magic and Thaumatology at one point - it depends on the species and lore in question.

As I said, we've yet to have anybody wanting to be a spirit caller, so I've looked into how GURPS does it raw, and I've decided that's pretty much how we'll do it. It's outlined in Thaumatology p.90-94, we'd be using the options of "Easy Spell Access" and "Non-Mage Occultist Casters".

If I misunderstood and you don't know gurps, it works like this: You can learn some spells from spirits to cast yourself, or you can dicker with them to cast spells for you - the latter probably used for stronger spells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galenbd View Post
What is the general motivation of the group? Money? Exploration?
The motivations are quite split, but money isn't one of them. There are a few characters that are more engaged with the polticial intrigue (including some metaphysical and divine facts about the world), and others are more generally exploration-focused. We've definitely a larger need of people that can get into the politics and the mystery as compared to favouring a nature/dungeon crawl or survival game.
Old Nov 16th, 2022, 06:26 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
galenbd galenbd
I am very familiar with GURPS. I've been playing with a Roll20 group that uses GURPS for the past 5 years.

I like the default Magic system am most familiar with it. That said, I did get convinced to try the Realm-based magic a defined on page 188 of GURPS Thaumaturgy, so I can be taught. I'll take a look at your reference this evening and let you know what I think on the 'morrow.

As you're talking about motivations, I prefer exploration overall. However, I tend to run games with large scale mysteries defining the setting. I would be interested in getting into that as a player. Not sure how happy I'll be with significant political intrigue.
Old Nov 16th, 2022, 07:08 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
galenbd galenbd
What does ten levels of Spiritual Distortion look like for a Raz'Ar?
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 06:48 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Sounds good - I've not been playing GURPS for much longer than that myself, but I've dipped into a lot of books and rules during that time.

If you are used to the standard magical system then we are in luck, because as I said you can still learn spells in that way, only it is assumed you are learning from the spirits. This is easier than academic study but dependent on their continued support. To counterbalance the ease of learning I would maintain that this character would not be allowed magery as an advantage themselves (otherwise you get a double bonus to your spell SLs), even though I would let you buy magic only FP to boost your inner reservoir (up to twice normal FP). That just represents a strong spirit.

It would be beneficial to learn spells that way too, as you would not want to always spend the time it takes to call a spirit and have a chat before you make something happen. I'd reserve that for the really big things.

As for the motivations - I think I understand what you are saying, but it sounds that if we come at it from the mystical angle we will be able to hook the character into things.

Also worth pointing out, when I say political I suppose I don't mean intrigue just for intrigues sake, it is wrapped up in the wider developments of the world to give it an urgency. The PCs don't always know the full extent of it, but I plan on revealing more and more in the near future to give things an urgency.

Or to put it differently, there are factions or sides that are objectively worse (for the world, or for the PCs themselves), so political intrigue may well become a part of bare survival, which should then be easy to motivate a character for. It is not (random example), "there are 12 noble houses that are all about the same level of good or awful, pick one and ride it to domination of the city yz, just because". Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Some scenes take place in cities and others in the wilderness, I just need players that can partake in both to some degree. You would write yourself into a corner if your person is a hermit in one tiny part (or biome) of the massive world with no motivation to ever leave it for long periods of time. I would have to either reject the character or to force them in a direction, the latter I don't like to do unless it is per agreement. If you were the protector of some grove and that burned down and now you wander - that's fine by me. Characters that complain about cities all the time are also fine, as long as they still go where sensible for the story.

I try to be accommodating, but I've had over 40 people make characters for this game alone in the last couple of years, so I like to be clear about what doesn't work.

At times people just get too much into the "reluctant hero" trope, they lean on reluctant and forget all about the hero bit, essentially just writing "the reluctant NPC who stayed at home", or who would stay at home if inserted into the story. Other people are too fixated on their specialty that they refuse to ever be the fish out of water, even though testing a character like that is what makes a strong story in the first place. The latter is much more common, admittedly. I get that some play as a power fantasy and want to shine as much as possible, but it leads to narratives that become quite undynamic - which can be boring. Just food for thought here.

Spirit distortion: I would say that the nature or animal spirits a Raz'Ar would commune with are not "bad", like a demon might be, so spirit distortion is slightly less of a worry for us. I would say that level 10 of distortion would be the downside of "being one" with nature, you turn savage in some shape or form depending on what your favourite type of spirit is. It would physically and mentally move you from being a sentient intellectual being to more like an animal, a stone or a tree. Hope that all makes sense.
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 09:50 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
galenbd galenbd
I've built characters that would not leave their village before. The GMs I was working with at the time were very frustrated with me. GURPS is particularly bad about that since the options are so wide. I think I can keep that from happening. The motivation to uncover the wider mysteries of the world should work great. I think the exploration of the mysteries will work to get me involved.

I looked over the summary of events.

Is there more after the end of that thread? How would you like to my character to connect to the existing story?

I'd like to mixed magic with this character. Your point about spells in combat is one I've thought about before and my main wariness about spirit magic. My concern is that I would end up rapidly building Spiritual Distortion which would then limit me the next time we got into combat. If I could pick up Magery myself for certain spells and use spirits for information, understanding and larger magical effects that would enable this character to have some longevity. With 230 points, I could build a reasonable grimoire with no Magery advantage. What limits do you want to put on me for those spells?
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 12:06 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
I'll take you over to a private thread in my game folder to discuss specifics, that way this space here won't be too cluttered. You should see a link secreted to you below, if not let me know.

To everybody else, recruitment remains open, see also this post and the first.
Old Nov 22nd, 2022, 11:04 PM
Zero Nonsense

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18100
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Just adding a testimonial. I have been in this game for 4 years. It's a sandbox game within an unbelievably huge and finely-detailed homebrew world. My character has helped a city flee from a siege; fought a war that included jungle combat, special ops monster assassination, and a naval battle; sailed among locations to gather resources and personnel to reclaim a Prince's birthright island, and now working to explore the island and make it safe including negotiating with indigenous inhabitants and documenting/hunting monsters and other threats above and below ground. Including the legacy of a demon cult.

The game is innovative in its setting, politics, history, and races but old school in its focus on character arc (long-term improvement of skills, abilities, and powers which is how you "level" in GURPS). The story lines are part quest-giver and part party-based interest and priority. The NPCs are all unique but fully alive individuals and there are so many.

Sandboxes aren't for everyone. There are slow times and eventful times. But if you ever wanted to just inhabit a limitless world as a character, you should strongly consider one.
Old Nov 23rd, 2022, 04:36 PM
His divine shadow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7590
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
I'd like to add I have been in a couple of games with Phettberg, and he's a great DM.
Old Dec 2nd, 2022, 06:17 PM
Official RPGX dinosaur!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6745
Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis
Uhm, hi...

So, we were working on adapting bunnywabbit into a character that actually does fit in this game and...

Honestly, I find myself lately with less and less inspiration and satisfaction for writing. I'm still happy to do it, but I find myself diving into easy entertainment too much, and I think that might be a good metric to go off of when I'm deciding what games to apply to and keep up to date on. So, I think I'm going to formally thank you for workshopping my character and inform you that you needn't wait for updates on my side.

I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just that I've got enough play-by-post in my life at the time, and probably shouldn't start more. In fact, it's the second time I've come up with a character for this game now, and I only have my fingers crossed I'll be able to give it my full 100% the next time you need players. It sounds like a cool game and a detailed world, I'm just not in a place to partake.

Life is fantastic, but I can't post Monday to wednesday because of it.
Old Dec 2nd, 2022, 09:02 PM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31793
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
Playing with a few AI Illustrators and made some art for this game ad (take it or leave it, I'm just experimenting)

Used text: wild gods burn cities to the ground while guilds and companies turn chaos into profit under a blood red moon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DALL·E 2022-12-02 19.55.58 - wild gods burn cities to the ground while guilds and companies turn.png
Views:	6
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	97806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dream_TradingCard-2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	347.8 KB
ID:	97807   Click image for larger version

Name:	DALL·E 2022-12-02 19.59.12 - wild gods burn cities to the ground while guilds and companies turn.png
Views:	2
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	97808   Click image for larger version

Name:	0 - wild gods burn cities to the ground while guil.png
Views:	3
Size:	511.0 KB
ID:	97809   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - wild gods burn cities to the ground while guil.png
Size:	520.5 KB
ID:	97810  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4 - wild gods burn cities to the ground while guil.png
Size:	482.5 KB
ID:	97811  
Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Nice! I like to mess around with AI art myself a little bit, and I might pick some of these up actually.

Recruitment is still open btw, not likely to close any time soon.