PbtA Tales from Elystar Station: Non-adventures in FarFlung - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook facebook
0 3 7 0
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old Oct 26th, 2022, 12:06 AM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4994
Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga
Tales from Elystar Station: Non-adventures in FarFlung

Game NameTales from Elystar Station: Non-adventures in FarFlung
Game SystemPbtA
ThemeDaily life aboard the galaxy's strangest space station
FlavourWhacky, Weird, and Lighthearted sci-fi living
Plot Summary
right-aligned image
Off of the more populated star lanes that trace through the empire, a certain station lingers in its infamy.
The Deep Space Habitation Station (DSHS) Elystar was once the jewel of the Sparky System, where a galactic gold-rush brought groups and peoples from across the galaxy to hunt for Desrinite; a mineral with nearly limitless energy storage potential.
But the Desrinite dried up long ago, and the Sparky System found itself becoming the Empire’s own galactic ghost town.
So Elystar Station spins dejectedly through space, a backwater gathering place for people with nowhere else to go.

And the very VERY lost.

Aaaaand the scientists wondering how the hell a Deep Space Habitation Station manages to rust like that…

The group will be playing as occupants of the Deep Space Habitation Station Elystar
Located on the fringe of the galaxy, this city-sized space station is the remnant of a galactic gold rush that has now dried up.
Now a rickety old station under the ownership of a less-than wealthy noble family, Elystar Station finds itself at the center of interest but far from profitability, serving as a meeting place for minor galactic factions, pirates, traders, grifters, and the occasional imperial patrol fleet.

But life continues on. You never know what’s going to go wrong next, or what’s going to come through that airlock today.
But no matter what it is, it’s gotta be dealt with by someone, and somehow you always find yourself in the wrong place at the right time.

Character CreationFarFlung is a PBtA game system based around sci-fi hijinks. In this game, I’m aiming for an episodic sci-fi story about the weekly lives and adventures of the strange wash-outs that occupy this odd corner of a larger galaxy.
Where do you fit in on this massive station? Are you a hyper-intelligent monkey serving drinks at the local bar? A troubled detective from the inner systems? An imperial officer on a punishment detail? A hapless engineer trying to keep things running? Heck, maybe you’re the station itself, full of ticks and glitches from years of poor repairs.

What I’m looking for~

Name:
Playbook:
Personality:
Appearance:
History:

As for history, feel free to make stuff up. The galaxy is large enough to accommodate many strange or ordinary folk.
One thing should be kept constant, the relative power and size of the Palk Empire. While the empire doesn’t own everything, it’s got a solid portion of the galaxy under its control.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...lay-After-Dark
The link will take you to the purchase page for the book. You can just select "Full-sized preview" which will show you the basic moves and the playbooks, which should be all you need to get a character idea.
Note that the playbooks are a fair bit into the pdf so you'll have to scroll down until you reach them.
ALSO, a character sheet pdf here,
An Editable Character Sheet here
AND the greyscale playbooks from the publisher for free here: Farflung Playbooks
All courtesy of JustSomeGuy, absolute MVP.

I will be accepting a fair number of players. We can have multiple plots happening on the station at once and can have teams mix up or chill between "episodes".
Ideally everyone will post once a week, and I will hold myself to once a week updates to keep things consistent

Submissions   
Player Character Playbook Status
Dunderklumpen Mercy Clockworker Complete
JustSomeGuy Harley Lost Toy Complete
97mg Bluelitlit III The Ship Complete
kanly Nicholas (Nic) Orga Flora WIP
Strangemund Kf’asja “Sprocket” Mrrma’ss Techie Complete
SevenStones Ofareta Kyreng (aka OK) Freebooter Complete
"You tell me: 'Life is hard to bear.' But if it were otherwise why should you have your pride in the morning and your resignation in the evening? Life is hard to bear: but do not pretend to be so tender!" -Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Last edited by Amarga; Nov 9th, 2022 at 01:38 PM.
Old Oct 26th, 2022, 09:07 AM
Your Local Cryptid

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9901
Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund
Ooh, Amarga, that is a ridiculously fun idea! I am seriously tempted!
Old Oct 26th, 2022, 06:10 PM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4135
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Nope could see play books.
Old Oct 26th, 2022, 06:44 PM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics

Some image guides to access the preview content. Playbooks start on page 19 of the PDF
"You tell me: 'Life is hard to bear.' But if it were otherwise why should you have your pride in the morning and your resignation in the evening? Life is hard to bear: but do not pretend to be so tender!" -Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Old Oct 26th, 2022, 08:08 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 560
Dunderklumpen Dunderklumpen Dunderklumpen Dunderklumpen Dunderklumpen Dunderklumpen
I have a copy of Farflung and I've wanted to play it for the longest time. I have an idea for a Clockworker that I'd like top put forward (WIP).
Old Oct 26th, 2022, 08:48 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Dunderklumpen Dunderklumpen Dunderklumpen Dunderklumpen Dunderklumpen Dunderklumpen
right-aligned image
Name: Mercy
Playbook: Clockworker
Personality: Mercy has problems with focussing on a single timeline. This makes her weird and twitchy. She can often confuse tenses, and what has or hasn't happened.
Appearance: Mercy is a young human female with tired eyes and a nervous twitchy demeanor.

History:

Mercy is complicated.

It is not even clear if she can be talked about in the Singular. In theory, versions/aspects of Mercy exist across a multiplicity of timelines and these versions can vary in age and appearance. In this timeline she appears to be a youngish human female with red hair and nervous demeanor. Other Mercies tend to be similar but have varying life experiences.

Because of her weird place in temporal space she is constantly troubled by dreams of futures and pasts, some of which might or might not have happened.

Occasionally, different versions of Mercy can show up. Sometimes that's useful, but mostly it's awkward and embarrassing.

She is a vat-bred 'precog' - the surprising result of an experiment of a shadowy interstellar known as Janus, the result of long term breeding/genetic manipulation. Although Mercy wasn't exactly what they expected, she represents a substantial investment and her escape was not deemed an acceptable career choice. They want her back in most timelines, probably in this one.

She works as a free-lance fixer/finder on Elystar, using her weird talents for minor jobs. Her success, like her talents, are unpredictable, and she only just scrapes by on these jobs often forgetting to collect payment in the relevant timeline.

Last edited by Dunderklumpen; Oct 26th, 2022 at 09:03 PM.
Old Oct 27th, 2022, 07:39 AM
Pretty cool Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13785
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Hmm. Amarga have you ever heard of something called Space Station 13?
Old Oct 27th, 2022, 11:34 AM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
I have indeed. Once I found farflung while looking into PbtA systems I thought that sort of thing would be great for a PbP game
Old Oct 27th, 2022, 07:29 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@Amarga, is that enough for the application for Mercy, or would you like some more?
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 12:06 AM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
Oh no that's perfectly fine, gives the character some context and a good hook for classic GM shenanigans.

Has anyone had any luck accessing the sample file?
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 01:05 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarga View Post
Oh no that's perfectly fine, gives the character some context and a good hook for classic GM shenanigans.

Has anyone had any luck accessing the sample file?
Accessing the preview seems fine to me.

After I download it I can see the example characters, which are more-or-less a full playbook. I think all initial moves are fixed for playbooks. The choices for attributes are in the sample.

Last edited by Dunderklumpen; Oct 28th, 2022 at 01:05 AM.
Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 03:16 PM
Don't Mind Me

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4823
JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy
I'm Officially Interested. I love a good PBTA game!

I must say that there are too many playbooks, and they all look fun. I'll have to struggle through narrowing it down and then get back to you.
I work at a Hospital but like to pretend that I can keep a regular schedule.
Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 03:19 PM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
Right? The amount of options really does make it hard to pick just one
Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 07:08 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
I'm Officially Interested. I love a good PBTA game!

I must say that there are too many playbooks, and they all look fun. I'll have to struggle through narrowing it down and then get back to you.
I love the fact that you can have Mal Reynolds, Ruby Rhod, Dr Who, and an galaxy-wide extinction threat in the same party.
Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 11:11 PM
Don't Mind Me

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4823
JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy
I like the idea of being the ship's AI, or an AI simulcra... the extinction level event seems like a great addition to a ...several great anime have tread those grounds before...slice-of-life sitcom.. but I think I've landed on the Lost Toy. The Chastity Belt™ artwork was probably not a factor.

I'm thinking a discarded/discontinued Multi-Purpose service android. Something inspired by the wonderful Sundry Sidney from Dimension 20's Starstruck season...

with a dash of Kryten from Red Dwarf.

I could see something fun percolating from that. I feel that I'll get a proper application up soon.
I work at a Hospital but like to pretend that I can keep a regular schedule.