... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old Oct 31st, 2022, 05:42 PM
Ancient Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1634
Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy
Hellfire

The game is now closed to new applicants.

Game Name
HELLFIRE
Game SystemMutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition (M&M3e)
Campaign SettingAn alternate modern day setting with some DC-Comics Universe elements included for immersive flavour. This campaign has nothing whatsoever to do with canon DC-Comics as it will be a clean slate game, heavily customized to omit and significantly alter aspects of the setting and characters along the line. Actual earth politics/events are not really going to be part of this game, except in a highly fictionalized way.

Expect that Gotham exists and is a sodden heck hole, Metropolis is a gleaming beacon of light cast under the shadow of a faceless criminal kingpin, Batman is virtually unknown and greatly feared by both sides, the Justice League does not exist, Superman is likely the boy scout that you are imagining, and the Joker is a complete unknown at this point.
Flavour, Theme, NoteworthyThose far beyond the normal ken taking on the mantle of modern superheroes, albeit some will take up the calling only reluctantly.

Expect a bit of itchy sandbox sand to get in thine undies within a role-play heavy, eclectic melange of light, cool, serious, light-hearted, gritty, comedic, and possibly the rather rare gibbering horror that might make even Lovecraft himself have nightmares.

Please only submit an application to this game if you can commit to daily, 7 days per week, in-character posts. I only post in the in-character thread once per day to cut down on what you have to read, and I try able to post around the same time each day so you only have to check once within each 24 hour period. If on a very, very rare occasion something comes up that affects your ability to post then all I ask is a quick OOC post.

This game has intimate interconnectivity with my short tune-up Misfits game that ended in May, though there is no need for any level of familiarity with any aspect of it to take part in this game.

Our Shared Story
Me
I offer you a somewhat scatterbrained storyteller who loves the "Rule of Cool", where an awesome scene, festooned with silly antics and swashbuckling acrobatics, is far more interesting for our collaborative little fun fest than just throwing dice at each other. Rules have a tendency to bend for such people that know how to do this, but not take liberties, and rewards tend to be accrued much faster because of such energy. My goal is to make the coolest scene possible while also making it as fair as possible for all parties, without being hyperfixated about some aspect of the fun-deprived rules. A failing I am trying to work on for this game is to slow down my pace, as it is typically an absolute sprint. Please be gentle as I fumble through that.

You
A roleplaying-focused player who offers interesting daily in-character posts to contribute to our shared story, pays I love people with a fine eye for detail. Please include a picture of Steven Seagal at the top of your application to show that you have seen this request. Please do not help others to meet this requirement.

close attention to what is relayed/going on, offer effort in your posts, work to proactively push the scene forward while also stopping at the edge of the known, and a person that is in this to ensure everyone is having fun.

We
M&M3e is a game that one has to work to avoid breaking. With that in mind rulings will be made and possibly restrictions enacted in an attempt to allow everyone with their time in the sun. This is not the sort of game where I am interested in indulging in protracted debates over the nuances of rule interpretations (or really anything, unless it is who would win in a fight between Spider-man and a Jedi, or why Pink Floyd is the best band ever), nor to see anyone's optimization skills, or to develop combinations that make it so your character is never close enough to be hit, or is invulnerable to all harm, or whatever. The concept of the character and the person behind the cape is so much more crucial than the numbers for me. New players to Mutants and Masterminds 3rd Edition are more than welcome. All you need to play is the M&M3e SRD and buckets filled with imagination and giggles. I intend to close applications when sufficiently tasty quantities of soylent gree.... errr, players have been harvested, as I only have so many roasting pans.

Game Information
  • Power Points: +1 Power Point will be awarded at the end of each week for each player that has posted to the in-character thread each and every day. Once this count reaches 15 points you will have the opportunity to spend these points as normal, either to become stronger within your PL or to move up to the next PL based on an extended invitation from myself.
  • Hero Points: +1 Hero Point for each in-game day where you are out doing heroic things. Unspent points do not carry over to the next day. Complications have no relationship with Hero Points in this game.
  • Group Initiative: I roll in private for both sides and "tag" everyone to let them know we are now in combat rounds, e.g. (Tag PCs, Round 1) leaving you free to post at any point that day, as is normal for your daily post. Actions are resolved in the order of posting for the most part, dependent on factors of logic or the wants of the poster. I resolve your actions in my next post / post evil's actions, tag for round 2 and the merry-go-round spins anew. tl;dr Write your daily in-character post as normal, even in combat.
  • Rolls / Theatre of Mind: We will embed rolls within the context of our paragraphs
    Dice * Perception Check vs. DC 18:
    d20+5 (20)+5 Total = 25
    thusly. Many of the player's rolls will be completed by me behind the scenes for expediency, or if it suits the scene to hide it from both you and your character (e.g. recognizing that someone is lying through their teeth). I do like to use enough players rolling their own rolls to keep the chaotic feeling of 'realness' alive in our collective narrative, establishing a sense of 'Theatre of the Mind' for the most part, though as often as I have visuals to provide, I will provide visuals.
  • Formatting: Please format your post within a fieldset box, and include a link to the location of your character sheet within the character section, and a reasonably-sized picture of your character, but beyond that I leave the formatting up to each of you individually.

Character Generation
  • You are making an original heroic character that has a reason to be part of this adventure, can get along with the others without causing excessive friction, and seek to work as a unit. All characters are generally good-aligned. You are the good guys in this; cold-blooded killers should seek employment 8 doors down.
  • PL 8, 100 Power Points, the lessened amount of power points are meant to represent burgeoning heroes and to allow for rapid early game growth.
  • All heroes will be mutants and at the start of the game will have yet to manifest your powers in any substantive way (you have each had one glimpse only, e.g. "adrenalin" momentarily permitting you to lift a vehicle off of someone and then immediately back to having trouble opening tight jars), as I have this weird kink about liking to be there when your characters work through the awkward stages of their newly-found gifts.
  • Rather than ban powers outright, I'll allow or disallow them on the totality of the character they exist on, though there will be a higher degree of scrutiny for typically-banned and troublesome abilities. That being said, anything that lets you control more than your main character (duplication, mind-control, summon, minions, side-kick, etc.) will not be permitted due to action economy, and powers like Healing and Regeneration will not be on offer.
  • My version of M&M 3e tends to be grittier than is typical, and while you can recover from damage enough to continue fighting without any negatives those injuries still exist and may require stitches, surgery, or recovery time. This is the classic, "You'll rip your stitches", scene where the hero continues despite looking like a mummy with a penchant for strawberries.
  • The maximum number of Alternate Effects within an Array is capped at 3.
  • If you are making a character that can see the scene before the other characters see the scene, or making more work for me by always splitting up, or having a power I have to constantly babysit, I will put scorpions in your pantaloons.
  • Flaws must be appropriate and must be in line with the strong thematic link, rather than a way of making your points go further with little actual affect on the game.
  • Please post when your character concept is ready for review.

Feel free to add whatever flair you wish to your character sheet and personalize however you want, as long as it is legible and follows a fairly standard format with, at minimum, the information below.

Character
  • Name:
  • Age: Adults only, as we will flirt with the darkness from time to time, and it is likely to get a scootch visceral.
  • Archetype:
  • Mutant Powers: I am looking for interesting characters with a strong thematic link to tie their powers together (essentially, getting a single power set, as opposed to a bunch of random powers one might like the sound of) with relatively simple to adjudicate power concepts. Please describe exactly what your powers are, how they work, what they look like, exactly what they do, and how they are noticeable as well.
  • Nationality: Seeking international flavour for this one. You can be from anywhere outside of North America, nor have you been there or have more than a passing knowledge of what goes on there.
  • Physical Description: To pair with your written description, please find a great picture for your character and post of a reasonable size, please no cartoony or childish images.
  • Disposition/Personality:
  • Complications: At least 4, one of which being a Motivation. These are part of the spice that make your character especially scrumptious roleplaying-wise, and also provides lovely hooks for the GM to grab a hold of as needed. They're like a well-written background that way, since it gives the GM something to work with.
  • Background: Backgrounds are to be kept skirt-length; short enough to be eye-catching but long enough to cover the important stuff. It is important to get an idea of who you are outside of the hero you imagine to become, and please make it so that the most interesting part of you is not your powers. I am being purposefully vague about the game world, so please roll with that to the best of your ability. More information to come after we get a better understanding of your character sans powers, as a curveball awaits each of you that are selected.
  • Roleplaying Sample: Please describe the first time your character's powers manifest, only to minor effect, though it should be cringeworthy and awkward, have gotten you in trouble somehow. You are a vanilla normal person for this scene, and this is your opportunity to breathe life in the character that existed before the inevitable bulging of one's spandex unitard at a later date.

Abilities
Strength (Str): 0
Stamina (Sta): 0
Agility (Agl): 0
Fighting (Fgt): 0
Dexterity (Dex): 0
Intellect (Int): 0
Awareness (Awe): 0
Presence (Pre): 0

Defence
Dodge (Agl): 0
Fort (Sta): 0
Parry (Fgt): 0
Toughness (Sta): 0
Will (Awe): 0

Offence
Initiative (Agl): 0
Close: +0 to Strike, 0 Damage
Ranged: +0 to Strike, 0 Damage

Skills
Acrobatics (Agl): 0 (+0)
Athletics (Str): 0 (+0)
Close Combat (Fgt): 0 (+0) Please specify
Deception (Pre): 0 (+0)
Expertise (Int): 0 (+0) Please specify
Insight (Awe): 0 (+0)
Intimidation (Pre): 0 (+0)
Investigation (Int): 0 (+0)
Perception (Awe): 0 (+0)
Persuasion (Pre): 0 (+0)
Ranged Combat (Dex): 0 (+0) Please specify
Sleight of Hand (Dex): 0 (+0)
Stealth (Agl): 0 (+0)
Technology (Int): 0 (+0)
Treatment (Int): 0 (+0)
Vehicles (Dex): 0 (+0)

Advantages

Mutant Powers

PL 8: Abilities 0, Defence 0, Skills 0, Advantages 0, Powers 0 = 100 Power Points

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Anarchy; Nov 14th, 2022 at 07:36 AM.
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 05:43 PM
Ancient Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy
Reference
APPLICANTS

PlayerCharacterArchetypeStatus
Mitsubachi Sofiya speed/agility/stealth/building towards martial arts Complete
GleefulNihilism Volker The Firebrand Complete
PalladiaMors Hannah Fun with portals! Primarily a support role. Complete
ArcZero Michael Pusher/Reflector Complete
UTasteSoSO Jason Controller Complete
JaredSyn Cassie Psychic (Kinetic style abilities primarily) Complete
morgantha Nimat The Phantom Complete
PapaHuck Mahzala Wonder Woman Complete
Acathala Alfred the Batman Complete
voodoozombie Asir The Wind Warrior Complete

Last edited by Anarchy; Nov 20th, 2022 at 08:00 AM.
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 11:13 PM
His divine shadow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7590
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
I may throw up an app this time.
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 11:32 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24759
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Oooo!

Quick Question from someone who was in Misfits.

How intimite we talkin'?
Old Nov 1st, 2022, 12:45 AM
The Queen of Ice
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17054
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
This all sounds very tempting and there are character ideas that I've been dying to try out, but I could only post 5 or 6 days per week.

Last edited by girlplay; Nov 1st, 2022 at 12:46 AM.
Old Nov 1st, 2022, 06:19 AM
Busy Bee

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2735
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi
Placeholder

Last edited by Mitsubachi; Nov 27th, 2022 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Redacted
Old Nov 1st, 2022, 07:03 PM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19590
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
Hm so most relevant question regarding connection to the previous outing - what is the general world view towards mutants at this point? Hated, begrudgingly recognized as existing, regarded as super awesome celebrities?
Old Nov 1st, 2022, 08:35 PM
His divine shadow

Tools
User Statistics
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
Would you consider intellect at rank 8(low superhuman) enough of mutation, or does it have to be some sort of active power? I'm considering a Batman style hero, that's focused more on the tech and detective side.
Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 05:16 AM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24759
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Not entirely sure I can keep up a post-a-day pace, but I said that last time too. I do have some serious PhD stuff going down,
Am I doing this right?
warning.

I'll get the important stuff down, finish it off if there's more interest.
Character
right-aligned image
  • Name: Volker Riese AKA "Drache" [Translation: Dragon]
  • Archetype: The Firebrand

• Mutant Powers: Volker is either the best person in the world to have his powerset or the worst. Forged into a Firebrand political activist, when his powers activate it takes a more literal meaning. Officially a pyrokinetic, Volker appears to be able to generate and manipulate Heat and Fire just with his thoughts alone. Interestingly, his abilities do seem to be at least partially biochemical in nature and not just psionic. His natural body tempurature seems to have increased to at least 42C (Roughly 107 F) from the standard 37C (98.6F). His saliva also contains a previously undiscovered compound that chemically acts surprisingly close to an organic version of Thermite. If it is isolated and ignited, this compound burns at a *minimum* of 1300C. The nickname isn't a coincidence. "Drache" is german for "Dragon" and apparently he can produce and ignite a stream of the compound from his mouth to literally breathe Fire at targets.

• Nationality: Germany. Specifically the city of Wunsiedel in the Bavaria region.
  • Physical Description: They have a saying in the city of Wunsiedel that if you don't work out a Fascist will. Volker like many of his friends hit the gym and make it a point to learn a fighting skill or two and it shows. Even without that he is considered a decent and enthusiastic semi-pro Hockey player known for an Aggressive playstyle, if probably not good enough to make it to the Big Show. With dark blonde hair and blue eyes, he does frequently have a look on his face like he's expecting a fight. And he is, especially every August 17th.
    And yet, if you catch him at the right moment - there's a look in his eyes. Something that says that he'll go to the Wall for you. He plays the tough guy, but he's capable of a surprising amount of Empathy. It's something to see.

• Disposition/Personality: On the surface, he's exactly what he looks like. Built like a professional hockey player that works out like one, he frequently looks like he's expecting a fight and yet -

You can't escape History, especially if you live in Wunsiedel. Stuck in the city's cycles of history and horror, everyone adapts to survive and Volker found the courage to stand. Maybe he and others are just keeping it going, who knows - but he can't just see the fear in everyone else's eyes every August 17th and not do something. So he Stands, and every August 17th becomes a lesson in two things, Courage - and Empathy.

At a glance he's a semi-pro Hockey Player, a Winger-Enforcer with the minor league team the Bayreuth Dröhnen, hoping to get a shot at the Deutsche Eishockey Liga. Surprisingly, he also went to University for Political Activism and he's capable of surprising acts of Empathy. For Volker, the Activism is his passion but Hockey pays the bills. Sometimes, he just needs to reach out to someone who clearly needs help. Just don't tell anyone, he's got a tough guy image to maintain.

• Complications: Motivation - Doing Good - He just doesn't like it when the strong force their will on those that can't defend themselves.
    Accident - Fire powers aren't known for their control.
    Obsession - A regular Firebrand who will turn just about anything political. Also has strong opinions about Ice Hockey.
    Quirk - No matter what Drache does to try to hide his mutations, some things can't be hidden. His body temperature always reads as significantly higher than a normal human's in any sort of heat sensor for example.
    Responsibility - Drache considers his Political Activism and Organization work to be extremely important, especially as August 17th approaches and he'll insist on being in Wunsiedel for the week leading up to and the next days afterwords.
    Temper - Nazism, Neo-Nazism, and other forms of Rightwing Extremism just set him off. Even more than they do in the average person. Show him a Swastika and he will *not* be able to think rationally.

• Background: You never really can escape History. Not in Wunsiedel at least.

Wunsiedel, Germany has the particular shame of being the traditional family home of Rudolf Hess, Adolf Hitler's 2nd-in-Command and the highest ranked Nazi that managed to avoid dying either in the war or by being executed for his crimes against humanity. He was exactly the kind of man you'd expect the Deputy Fuhrer of the Third Reich to be, but a judge decided that during all of the horrible things he did a single attempt to get England to leave the war peacefully was worth sparing his life. Rudolf Hess instead died in prison on August 17th, 1987 and he was buried in the family plot - and Neo-Nazis came allover the world to pay tribute and terrorize the residents of Wunsiedel who had anything to say about it. Or just happened to not be the kind of people who Neo-Nazis think should be able to live in Rudolf Hess's home town.

And that was the world Volker was born into. A city that gets terrorized every August 17th by a political philosophy that the rest of the world says died decades ago. Yeah, go outside on August 17th and say that to their faces. But that's not to say the people haven't tried to fight back. During the day, the August 17th has become a rallying cry for Anti-Fascists around the world too during the day. The German government tries to help too with national guard if it looks like it's going to be a particularly bad year. And if the Neo-Nazis don't leave by nightful, the Edelweißpiraten (or the Edelweiss Pirates in English) step up to protect their communities. Volker's been at least running messages for them since his early teens, having to dive into the deep end of political activism early. Hockey started just as a way to keep sharp in the off-season. He ended up going to University for Political Activism, but he always made it a point to be home for August 17th.

In 2011 the August 17ths had gotten so bad that the city moved and destroyed Hess's grave to try to get the Neo-Nazis to stop. The next year they just brought firebombs and bigger guns for their "pilgrammage", and it keeps escalating. The Hockey he kept doing just to have an occasional break from the madness, and he's good enough that he *might* be considered for the Pro-leagues one day if he can approve his slap-shot's accuracy.

Volker Riese and the other Edelweißpiraten just want the city and it's people to be safe, but things keep spiraling out of control and the Heat keeps rising. But maybe somewhere Hot is the best place to find a Dragon.

Unfortunately, Volker is now facing a different kind of challenge. He never was exactly rolling in lots of money to start with, his kind of Political Activism is notoriously low at funds and Semi-Pro Hockey isn't a huge payday either. Perhaps not so shockingly, the Fascist Invaders of Wunsiedel tend to throw around the Lawyers after every August 17th. This time Volker got caught in the flurry.

Now bankrupt and with legal bills piling up, Volker has been doing what he can to raise money. Political Advocacy is great, but it has a less than stellar ability to pay the bills if you want to keep your principles. Hockey on the other hand, that's different. Able to borrow money for transportation from friends and family, Volker is currently in This can be changed to fit anywhere else once the game starts, pretty much any city with a professional hockey team will work.Berlin at tryouts for the Eisbären Berlin hockey team. Hoping to make the leap from Semi-Pro to Pro and the increase in the paycheck that comes with it, he has no idea that the heat rising up inside him isn't entirely metaphorical.

• Roleplaying Samples:
    The First Cracks of the Dragon's EggAugust 17th

KnockKnockKnock

"<Mrs. Adebayo. Mrs. Adebayo.>" Volker tries to knock on her back door, somehow both frantically but quietly.

"<Yes, what is - Oh God.>"

Yeah, news on August 17th in Wunsiedel was never good news. And when came from someone in the unofficial-official uniform of the Edelweißpiraten it was even worse. Black hoodie, black face mask, dark pants, but ready to show a white scarf at a moment's notice - and Volker was showing it. They've had time to organize this and spread the word, a year since the last big "March". The Adebayos, opened up one of those little convenience stores. Immigrants. Nigerian maybe? Volker is sure he knew at some point but doesn't remember exactly right now. He just knows something else is bigger.

"<They're right behind me. Get your family, sneak out the back.>"

"<Get in here, you fool.>" Mrs. Adebayo unlocks the door quickly, and he doesn't feel like arguing. They might need help moving a little faster. He slips in and locks the door behind them. Amazing, how different little shops like this look when the lights are off.

"<They're coming from 8th street. I'll look out West. Make sure it's Clear. Go get your family.>"

"<Yes, yes. Thank you. My husband is just getting Makena.>"

"<Don't thank me yet. When you're safe, maybe.>"

And just as the Adebayo's are ready to go out their back door, the sound of glass smashing in the store comes down the hallway.

Thermostat - 26C / 74F

"<Oh god.>"

"<Go, I'll stall for time.>"

"<ARE YOU INSANE? They have Guns!>"

"<It's the Curse of being German, We're always Passionate about our Politics. Go!>"

Thermostat - 29C / 84F

Funny, how nobody was noticing how the Red really was climbing in all the Thermometers, especially not Volker. The heat wasn't going unnoticed though.

Thermostat - 35C / 96F

"<Anyone else notice how hot it's getting?>" said one of the three men in the store with guns and knives and nice crisp suits with red armbands.

"<I noticed it too, dumb Africans probably like it this way.>" said one of the other sharply-dressed men.

Thermostat - 45C / 114F

"<No, it's definitely getting hotter Fast. Did we start the fire yet?>"

You know, Volker noticed that the first of the Neo-Nazis he came across was sweating perfusely too the point that he had to actively wipe the sweat out of his eyes to see anything, near constantly. Funny, it never occurs to him that he wasn't sweating at all. He doesn't ask, Volker lets out his inner Hockey Player and just headbutts the guy, dropping him instantly.

Thermostat - 50C / 122F

"<Seriously, what the f#$%?>"

"Leck mich am Arsch <and Get Out of My City> Scheiße <for Brains.>"

"<Shoot the F#$#er!>"

"<I would if I could see!>"

"<I SAID> GEH RAUS!"

And officially what happened next was that the Firebombs brought by the Neo-Nazis detonated early, it's a minor miracle nobody died. Funny though, how the initial flash burn pattern forms a straight line...

Some Tracks:
Die Krupps - To The Hilt!
Dead Kennedys - Nazi Punks F#$% Off
The Interrupters - Take Back The Power
The Interrupters - She's Kerosene
Rammstein - Engel
Rammstein - Deutschland

Last edited by GleefulNihilism; Nov 21st, 2022 at 12:34 AM.
Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 12:44 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9571
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Character
right-aligned image
  • Name: Cassie Cain
  • Archetype: Psychic (Kinetic style abilities primarily)
  • Mutant Powers: Cassie is able to manipulate Kinetic energy in a variety of ways, from projecting blasts of force, or creating barriers to protect herself or others. Moving objects or even robbing objects of their kinetic energy making them virtually harmless.
  • Nationality: English
  • Physical Description: Cassie is not what one would picture in regards to a super hero by any means. She only stands five feet six inches in height and has a lithe build. She has short green colored hair that frames her face and dark green eyes.
  • Disposition/Personality: Cassie is a friendly and outgoing young woman, who is eager to help others in need. From an early age, her willingness and desire to help others were obvious. Going out of her way to help other kids her age, or sharing what was hers with those who were less fortunate. She takes pleasure in helping others and is willing to go out of her way to do so. She is quick to make friends and steadfast in that regard.
  • Complications: Honor, Motivation (Doing Good, Justice), Prejudice
  • Background: Cassie's parents were not well off and both worked hard to provide a safe and suitable home for their daughter. Things were not easy for the small family to say the less. Her parent's jobs kept them away from home much of the time leaving Cassie to almost raise herself in some regard. Cassies father was a loving father, but much more reserved and focused on his own family's welfare than doing anything for others. This often led to arguments between himself and Cassie when he learned she often shared her food and such with others who had less.

Cassie knew as well as her parents if she ever wanted to make anything of herself she would need to work hard in her studies and her athletics. From a young age, Cassie had an interest in gymnastics, and despite the cost, her parents encouraged her. Cassie spent much of her time outside of school doing just that training hard and pushing herself to be the best she could. Often practicing outside of the small school, on the streets of Newham. She used the everyday obstacles of building and objects to hone her skills.

When she was 14 Cassie's hard work paid off and during a meet, she was discovered by an agent. The man approached her parents and offered her attendance at a private academy on a scholarship based on her athletic ability. Eager for their daughter to succeed in life, they readily agreed and Cassie moved to the London Academy of Gymnastics and Dance. Cassie did not fit well with many of the other students who came from wealthy families, and at first, had a difficult time. Cassie knew if she wanted a better life for herself and her family though she had to work hard to make the most of this opportunity.

Cassie dedicated herself to her studies with renewed vigor and quickly was recognized as one of the premier gymnasts at the school. By the time she was ready to graduate winning two national titles and made the Dean's list. Cassie's time coming to an end she received several offers of continuing education on an athletic scholarship. Times were difficult and she knew that what she really wanted to do was help others and attend nursing school or perhaps even become a doctor. This of course meant many more years of study. After talking with her parents she chose to travel to the US to attend University there.

Things in Newham had become more dangerous with the sudden increase in mutant activity. Many turning to a life of crime to provide for themselves. Cassie was preparing to depart when her Mother was killed in a fight between rival groups of mutants. An innocent bystander caught up in the violence. Her father had already been a supporter of controls being placed on mutants and after the death of his wife, became much more involved in protesting and supporting restrictions and controls being placed upon mutants. Cassie saw firsthand the hatred that her father had developed for those with abilities. It hurt her to see him in such pain, but there was nothing she could do to persuade him. She stayed as long as she was able before departing for school in America.

Shortly before departing for America to attend University, Cassie drew major attention by the news after a bus accident. One evening while walking home, a bus crashed nearby into a building Cassie always eager to help others with no thought for her own safety rushed into the bus and began to help pull people to safety. If not for her bravery the accident would have resulted in the death of at least six individuals. Only once they had all been removed and pulled away from the bus did she start to attend to the people using her first aid training. She did not even realize at the time that the bus had in fact caught fire and if not for her actions all involved would have been burned alive. Cassie had not thought about anything except those in danger and when questioned said she simply acted on instinct to help. This story went not only locally but nationally in England. It is something she does not care to talk about because she feels she only did what was right.
  • Roleplaying Sample:

Last edited by JaredSyn; Nov 15th, 2022 at 02:42 PM.
Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 02:07 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1234
ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero
Hello this is very intriguing, I'm a sucker for Mutant settings. An absolute shame about no duplication.

A little clarification since I'm in my first M&M game currently. Power Level 8, but rather than having 120 power points, we're starting with 100. So we have the power point equivalent of a late PL 6 (90-104) but the Power Level limits of a PL8? Thus we'd have a lot of time to grow before we actually hit PL 9?

And would a Bullseye or Domino-type would be allowed, having an augmenting mutant power like super luck or accuracy, but they use mundane weapons or tech to do the damage?
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 12:00 PM
Ancient Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
To all those considering throwing their hat in the ring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GleefulNihilism View Post
How intimite we talkin'?
My aim is that it is the exact same world as intimately recounted as possible, though our entry point will be a slightly earlier time. I am mainly hedging my bet to justify any changes that come to pass based on my memory failing me trying to remember what happened in that game.

If I get my act together it will be the exact same everything world-wise outside of changes the current batch of characters make that would have had a profound affect on what would have happened in Misfits. The timeline is pretty darn resilient though, so it should remain intact with only minor differences (e.g Harvey Dent died in this world....uhm, greetings the new Gotham DA Darvey Hent).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsubachi View Post
I hope that is okay?
Definitely okay and I dig the ideas you're coming up with thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalladiaMors View Post
Hm so most relevant question regarding connection to the previous outing - what is the general world view towards mutants at this point? Hated, begrudgingly recognized as existing, regarded as super awesome celebrities?
At the start of the game it is the same view as in the Misfits game, and very reminiscent of the world the X-Men find themselves peopling.

MutantsMutants have always been feared, derided, and reviled. Helping to fan the destructive flames of this fear and hatred were various scientists, politicians, and bureaucrats who were either filled with ignorance, fear, and envy themselves, or had a grudge against a specific mutant individual or team. This atmosphere of purposeful misunderstanding has only worsened over time, resulting in mutants being viewed as a growing threat. Inevitably, this scapegoating gave way to persecution, as individuals who were believed to be mutants were accosted, and sometimes murdered, in the streets. After all, the average person has no idea who may be a mutant and are terrified of what they might be able to do.

Sadly, with good reason.

Small pocket communities of these "mutant menace" outcasts gather together in what were called "nests", found in condemned buildings, sewers, forests, abandoned bomb shelters, and the like. They barely eke out an existence, nesting like half-starved rats in squalor, filth, and desperation. Under the cover of night, the hideous and deformed raid the surface world, stealing furnishings, food, clothing, and other necessities of life. Relations between the general populace and those who had been gifted with powers, disparagingly referred to as "gene-jokes", "dirty muties", or "gene-freaks", have never been worse.

The group's actions can change this based on the optics of their actions. Rescue those kittens from trees, help the elderly across the street (no throwing!), save those trapped in burning buildings, and perhaps one day you too will have your mug emblazoned on a cereal box, corporate sponsors offering you deals, and rabid fans seeking thine autograph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acathala View Post
Would you consider intellect at rank 8(low superhuman) enough of mutation, or does it have to be some sort of active power? I'm considering a Batman style hero, that's focused more on the tech and detective side.
I like it, and I'm rather interested what your quick glimpse of genius was like, as well as what it was like to soar with the eagles and then drop down to average intelligence thereafter (until your super intelligence manifests for good).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GleefulNihilism View Post
Not entirely sure I can keep up a post-a-day pace
Please touch base when you are sure you can make the commitment to daily posting.

As a heads up, I'm only doing cursory scans of each character to look for things to address before people get too much of a head of steam. Giving time for people to refine their concept and then I'll start doing my first round of feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredSyn View Post
PLACEHOLDER working out details will add as they arise.
I'm digging what I am seeing at a glance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcZero View Post
A little clarification since I'm in my first M&M game currently. Power Level 8, but rather than having 120 power points, we're starting with 100. So we have the power point equivalent of a late PL 6 (90-104) but the Power Level limits of a PL8?
Gold star, you have PL limits as a PL 8, but points lower than that. The first 20 points will round out your character before you hit PL 9 and then you will proceed as is typical.

Quote:
Thus we'd have a lot of time to grow before we actually hit PL 9?
When I speak that the lower starting point total allows "for rapid early game growth" I am meaning that the group may earn a faster progression, so it might be faster than you think.

Quote:
And would a Bullseye or Domino-type would be allowed, having an augmenting mutant power like super luck or accuracy, but they use mundane weapons or tech to do the damage?
Either would be totally fine and sound like fun to play.

Last edited by Anarchy; Nov 15th, 2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 12:42 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9571
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
I think Cassie is done for the most part. Open to any suggestions though for her build. Made a couple slight tweaks.

Last edited by JaredSyn; Nov 4th, 2022 at 08:01 AM.
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 03:45 PM
His divine shadow

Tools
User Statistics
I personally see the low power level and rapid levelling as a benefit really. As my guy is starting out, it makes sense he's not going to have a lot of custom equipment. This will allow him to design stuff later on.
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 05:03 PM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19590
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
Some good examples of super intelligence being put to combat application are the boxing match from Sherlock and evil Cassandra from The Librarians.