... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old Nov 6th, 2022, 07:31 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24759
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
@Anarchy - I thought I did but I suppose I could’ve made it more clear.

I may take advantage of the “at least drop a warning in OOC chat” condition a few times thanks to real life stuff, but I can at least do that.

Comments and Criticism always welcome. Saving the d10 for the actual review I suppose.

Last edited by GleefulNihilism; Nov 6th, 2022 at 07:33 PM.
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 09:10 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 197
UTasteSoSO UTasteSoSO
I think I have more than the bones together for Jace. I am traveling tomorrow for work but I should be able to keep working on him the next few days. Welcome any feedback.
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 01:34 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1234
ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
[*]I am fine with you embracing your inner Darkseid with your homing beams.[*]Flaws: Let's simplify things the blindness thing, eliminate the "Limited to When eyes are closed" from your powers, call it a Complication, then no need for Immunities or Senses to cover it. Just have all of the roleplaying fun of that, without us having to adjudicate the ramifications of eyes being closed. Eliminate Noticeable, your powers are obvious by default and that Flaw is for Continuous or Permanent effects. Limited to Increasing DC, please explain that. Drop the Quirk from 3 to 1 please for the push back. Linking Move Object to Damage means you're damaging anything you try to move (e.g. decapitating the innocent orphans trying to push them out of the way of the train). Your flight would be a good place for a Limited Flaw in only being able to fly maybe 100' above something solid to push off of, since your vectors have to push on something substantive to keep you aloft.
Excellent on the homing. Ooh I really like limiting flight to a hundred feet (above terrain), that's very thematic. And yes, my intention is that he doesn't know how to push without damaging yet. So he'll have to figure that out.

DC 15 for Move Object 5 sounded really low. I read online the only way to really increase DC is to increase ability rank. Thus getting a DC 18 or 20 without needing to have Move Object 8 or 10. If I want to limit my push and not push a person several miles whenever I attack, can I reduce Move Object whenever I want or do I need an extra to do that?

For clarity, can we pay off flaws like PalladiaMors describes? That would be good to know.

Here is an updated version, let me know. I realized that Move Object automatically requires a to-hit roll, so linking powers to use homing isn't needed!

Last edited by ArcZero; Nov 8th, 2022 at 11:15 AM.
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 03:46 AM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Gave Volker a big update. Think I even have a rough draft of his sheet down. Sweet.

Like I said - comments, critique, and soundtrack suggestions welcome. :P
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 02:05 PM
chief fiction officer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5257
morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha
Daily posting works for me! It’s actually the first thing that drew me to this game.

Thanks!

Application
Basics
right-aligned image
Name: Nimat

Archetype: The Phantom

Mutant Powers: Nimat is a living ghost. She can become intangible, which causes her to appear translucent. This ability extends to items she is holding, and eventually she will be able to control the tangibility of individual parts of her body. She can disrupt technology, causing phones to ring, lights to flicker or shut off, etc. She can also levitate while in her intangible form and generate an aura of fear, which is invisible but lowers the temperature around her.

Nationality: Most recently Nimat has been living in London, however she is from and her family remains in Dubai.

Physical Description: Nimat is notably tall for a woman at 6”1’. She keeps her thick, dark hair short for practical reasons and is most often dressed in well-fitted t-shirts and jeans. Her demeanor on first impression is friendly though not particularly open.

Dice Roll:
1d10 2
Complication

DetailsPersonality: Nimat has a dry sense of humor and a determined streak. There is nothing that makes her more likely to do something than telling her not to. She is attracted to glamor and freedom to the point of selfishness at times. In her years working in clubs and bars, Nimat has learned how to make people feel at ease around her, and sometimes struggles to turn off the more palatable act she puts on, even among people she trusts.

Complications:
Thrills (Motivation) - Nothing makes Nimat feel freer than doing something ill-advised or dangerous
Bad Reputation - Nimat is well-known as a party girl, which depending on what circles people run in may be seen as frivolous or scandalous
Enemy - Nimat has blackmailed some important people on her path to escaping her homeland
Iron (Weakness) - Like the jinn of legend, pure iron makes Nimat’s powers weaker
Relationship - Nimat’s younger sister, Sabeen, escaped Dubai with her

Background:
Nimat was born to a wealthy political family in Dubai. The strict culture she grew up in always grated at Nimat’s more free-spirited nature, and by the time she was in her teens she was determined to escape the oppressive home of her father. Despite her father’s best efforts, Nimat often snuck out of the house and was embroiled in many scandals at clubs and parties, most of which were covered up with family money.

In her early twenties, Nimat left for good, taking her younger sister, Sabeen with her. In need of money, Nimat used her club connections to secure a job as a bottle girl at one of Dubai’s high roller clubs.

Working in clubs for Dubai's super elite put Nimat in a position to hear things she shouldn't. She took to schmoozing or outright eavesdropping on conversations. One night she caught wind that the criminal side of a drug cartel was about to turn on the banker who was laundering money for them. She used the information to leverage the banker for money to escape the country. As a result, the banker escaped the hit placed on him. Unfortunately, the organization found out she was responsible for selling the information, and intend to pay her back.

Currently, Nimat lives in London with her sister. She keeps a low profile as a bartender at a local pub.

RP SampleMusic thrummed in Nimat’s head exactly in time with the pounding of her headache. She slid the tray of drinks off the bar and balanced it on one arm, holding it slightly away from herself so the lights would still glimmer off the sequins of her bodysuit.

She slunk through the crowd expertly and deposited the tray on the table with a sharp, white smile plastered on her face. The bottle of champagne she had brought was worth more than her car but when she popped it she let some spray onto the gathered men and they cheered. They looked like a pack of jackals with their mouths all gaping open.

She swung the bottle up, pretending to take the first gulp and then perched herself on the lap of the closest one. She’d been working him all evening and he was loose with the hands but tight in the wallet, her least favorite combination. As she reached to pour the drinks he grabbed her hips once again and she forced a laugh. When she had first started, this would have made her sick, but now it didn’t phase her much.

Nimat started to lean across the table to hand a champagne flute to another guest, but the man yanked her arm back hard enough that her shoulder jolted and she fell back into his chest. She opened her mouth to make some joking remark to placate him long enough to pour the rest of the drinks, but his mouth crashed into hers.

Her body went suddenly, icy cold and a shiver ran up her spine. A moment later, she heard the sound of glass smashing on the floor and shouting.

“She’s a demon!”

Nimat whipped her head around, looking for the person in question. She felt oddly lightheaded and detached for a moment until the man she was sitting on shoved her hard and she hit the floor. The floor… she could see the floor through her own arm. She was on top of the glass, she should have cuts, but she couldn’t feel anything.

Someone tried to kick her, but the blow went through her body. Nimat scrambled to her feet and bolted.

I am the demon.

Last edited by morgantha; Nov 17th, 2022 at 03:53 PM.
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 04:30 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
GleefulNihilism,
  • A well-written app as per your usual~
  • Using Strength for Expertise is something I would probably avoid if I imagined hockey would have a large affect on the game, but nope so fill thine skates.
  • Appreciate the time you've put into Volker, I must admit that I kept wondering what the heck August 17th was pertaining to until I got down to your background.
  • How do you see yourself allocating your points at PL 10? Mainly focused on how you see your powers changing over time.
  • How are your powers noticeable when you use them?
  • Dice Roll:
    1d10 4
    Thank you!
  • To be fair, I pictured it more about playing hockey professionally then sports-trivia. So thank you again.
  • Thought it was a bit dramatic how I did that, admittedly. :P
  • While I might sink some points into the pretty word making, powerwise I see the build going roughly first just making his fires hotter/more powerful/higher damage then adding a few effects like wider cones. Improving his accuracy is on the list too, ironically which what I picture is his biggest flaw as a hockey player. He definitely will get the ability to put out or move fires as well, but that might take a bit to get there. Might include a flight ability at some point, but we're talking *maybe down the line*, doubtful by PL10.
  • Oh yes, Fire is a Primal Instinct sort of thing. There's a little lizard part of everyone's brain that will get up even when the person doesn't want them too. Light, Sound, Heat - I'd say Volker's powers are, at least as a rule, disproportionally noticable. Even his big defense stuff like that he's now Fireproof gets attention.

Last edited by GleefulNihilism; Nov 7th, 2022 at 04:37 PM.
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 08:06 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
UTasteSoSO UTasteSoSO
Jace is mostly there. Happy to have any feedback.

@Anarchy: I know the posting reqs very well now.

Old Nov 8th, 2022, 10:37 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9571
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Posting daily is not an issue, except possibly on the weekend occasionally. What s SEAGAL?
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 04:04 PM
Ancient Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1634
Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy
Drive-By Afternoon Musings
If I have given my cursory glance at your sheet, you have addressed any requested changes and completed the character on your side, please let me know that your character is ready for their final review. Once any changes are completed I will mark you as Done in the Status section of the second post's chart and you're welcome to kick up your footsies and chill until the selection is made.

At present I am considering taking up to 6 of the applicants for the game (leaning towards 6, but that depends on the raw power of the group so combat isn't arduous to provide a challenging encounter for group). Those not chosen will be my first PM should an opening come up.

To address this early, for the period in and around of the Christmas Holidays and New Years we'll establish as a group Some look forward to enjoy the play during holidays and others have no time running from party to party, I'll leave it up to you cats to arm wrestle and work it outthe days where posting is welcomed, though not required, to carve out time to press food holes under the mistletoe. My plan is to continue posting each day if there's people to post with, as is my norm.

GleefulNihilism,
  • A well-written app as per your usual~
  • Using Strength for Expertise is something I would probably avoid if I imagined hockey would have a large affect on the game, but nope so fill thine skates.
  • Appreciate the time you've put into Volker, I must admit that I kept wondering what the heck August 17th was pertaining to until I got down to your background.
  • How do you see yourself allocating your points at PL 10? Mainly focused on how you see your powers changing over time.
  • How are your powers noticeable when you use them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTasteSoSO View Post
Well I have a post incoming. Since I am new to this forum I guess it has to be approved.

Will catch you in my next round of reviews this week when I field any questions the others have asked.

UTasteSoSo,
  • Welcome to RPGCrossing, pull up a futon and stay awhile.
  • Need to change the Nationality, no North Americans for this game.
  • I must admit that my first reaction to "Jace can sense and interact with the lifeblood of those around him" was something akin to this.
  • Attributes appear to be 4 points too low.
  • Suggestions for the Side Effect?

morgantha,
  • No worries on needing time for the mechanics.
  • I dig the character concept as presented.

PalladiaMors,
  • Love the awkwardness of the sodden landing in with the roommate
  • Looking good and a strong app.

Mitsubachi,
  • Appreciate your flexibility with the current event thing, and I really dig the pics of Zoe.
  • As someone with aphantasia I love the progression from mat work to nearly braining your star-spangled brains on a traffic light. I dig getting exemplars of who you see yourself.
  • Your PL 10 backstory works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcZero View Post
If I want to limit my push and not push a person several miles whenever I attack, can I reduce Move Object whenever I want or do I need an extra to do that?
Surely, and if you want to take Extra: Indirect you could pick other angles to hit them from to ensure they don't fly into low earth orbit if you hit them hard enough. BTW if you're replacing the straight Ranged Damage affect mixed with Move Object with a Damaging Move Object, then no need to have to pay for the Quirk anymore, since that's exactly what your power does, so you can save a point there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcZero View Post
For clarity, can we pay off flaws like PalladiaMors describes? That would be good to know.
Definitely, just throw in the points and you're good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredSyn View Post
What is Seagal? I must have missed something.
Tis my means of learning something about the attention to detail of those applicants that apply. Look under "You" in the app, specifically the only underlined portion "close attention".

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTasteSoSO View Post
@Anarchy: I know the posting reqs very well now.
No doubt, I warn everyone early that I don't chase people to post. If it becomes a larger issue I will just end the game. Nothing burns me out faster than investing as much time as I do and hearing excuses why someone couldn't take 5 minutes to reach out so we're not all standing around waiting on them.

Please take this commitment as seriously as you would a tabletop group, or more serious if you are the type that would ghost their tabletop group without even a heads up that they will be missing.

I ask only what I offer and I have been doing daily games for over a decade now (lol and I'm an aficionado of the giggle bush, so if I can keep up, surely the sober can match my efforts). I think/hope you'll find that daily play offers something unique that once you've done it you'll want more and more of, especially when most PBP games move at a glacially techtonic snail-with-a-heavy-backpack-on pace.

Tis a bummer to talk about such shenanigans, please just be here so we can all have fun together. We need everyone's voice and contributions for our collective story we will fashion together.

Last edited by Anarchy; Nov 15th, 2022 at 07:45 PM.
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 04:34 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9571
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
What is Seagal? I must have missed something. Agh figured it out LOL.

Last edited by JaredSyn; Nov 8th, 2022 at 08:36 PM.
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 04:45 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
Maybe we should let the Seagal joke die. I got a chuckle but it seems to be confusing people not in on the joke.
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 07:18 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
UTasteSoSO UTasteSoSO
Quote:
Drive-By Afternoon Musings

PlayerD10 ResultConfirm Daily PostingSeagal
UTasteSoSO 5 Confirmed Yes
ArcZero 4 Confirmed Yes
GleefulNihilism 4 Confirmed Yes
PalladiaMors 2 Confirmed Yes
morgantha 2 Confirmed Yes
Mitsubachi 1 Confirmed Yes
JaredSyn ? Confirmed ?
Acathala ? ? ?

UTasteSoSo,
  • Welcome to RPGCrossing, pull up a futon and stay awhile.
    Well thank you very much. Perhaps I shall!
  • Need to change the Nationality, no North Americans for this game.
    No problem, I shall adapt and overcome!
  • I must admit that my first reaction to "Jace can sense and interact with the lifeblood of those around him" was something akin to this.
    Thinking was something like Daredevil-ish type 'I can hear your heartbeat] kind of jam. It also was an interesting way to get to the blood-o-mancy I was angling for and I wanted a darker feeling power than the X-game character.
  • Attributes appear to be 4 points too low.
    I thought 2 but I will double check.
  • Suggestions for the Side Effect?
    What if the power simply effected him on a failed roll?

Old Nov 8th, 2022, 08:12 PM
chief fiction officer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5257
morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha
Okay I think I'm mostly done with my build. I just have one question before I finish:

For the skills, is the formatting

Acrobatics (Agl): Base agl# (+total modifier)

or

Acrobatics (Agl): Base agl# (+additional ranks)
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 11:23 PM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19590
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
Barring the inevitable M&M moment of "crap, how did I forget X? Now I need to shave a point from Y!" I believe Hannah is done.
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 11:26 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
I *think* Volker is done, while we're at it. Unless I think of something else to do.