: +

Notices

Old Nov 12th, 2022, 10:07 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 197
UTasteSoSO UTasteSoSO
I am traveling this morning, flying back home from a work conference, but I shall update as soon as I am able this weekend.

I will do a full recount and make sure I have math'd properly.

Creep Blood Powers sounds good to me.

PL 10-info incoming!

Old Nov 12th, 2022, 04:17 PM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19595
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
Change made. Traded her body armor for an upgrade to a smartphone and a set of night vision goggles. Both those and her pistol are from her military days, and while normally a soldier wouldn't keep such things, you would (or perhaps would not) be surprised how often things just don't get accounted for, put in the wrong box, or otherwise go missing.

Last edited by PalladiaMors; Nov 12th, 2022 at 11:49 PM.
Old Nov 12th, 2022, 06:18 PM
Erasmus B. Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3420
PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck
I'm interested in applying. Love superhero games. Haven't played M & M before, but read the rulebook a year ago and think the system is brilliant.

Character concept is a young female victim of human trafficking in a country ravaged by protracted war (like Afghanastan in the real world). She's seen the dark side of humanity from a position of powerlessness. Now there's a sudden injection of power; what will she do?

Power set would be enhanced strength, speed, agility, durability, and senses. Maybe can fly.

Last edited by PapaHuck; Nov 12th, 2022 at 06:20 PM.
Old Nov 12th, 2022, 10:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2610
voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie
I too am interested in applying. I haven't played M&M before, but I've read the rule books and would love a chance to have a go at it.

Last edited by voodoozombie; Nov 12th, 2022 at 10:52 PM.
Old Nov 13th, 2022, 02:58 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 197
UTasteSoSO UTasteSoSO
By my math your Abilities are over, having taken 21 points for a total cost of 42 power points.
Corrected. This was a copy pasta error.
Your Advantages are also 2 over by my count.
Corrected and adjusted slightly
Please specify that Range Combat is for Firearms and which Close Combat is for which.
Done
Close Combat numbers don't seem to match your Offence numbers.
Should be all math'd better now
Attack + Effect cannot exceed 16, so with Affliction and Weaken being at 8 the highest your attack could be is 8, though with your Accurate 3 it's in range, so really this is more of a request for clarity.
I removed accurate and went with Creepy Blood Powers to simplify things a bit
How do you see yourself allocating your points at PL 10? Mainly focused on how you see your powers changing over time.
Initially I would make the current powers a bit stronger and increase range over time. I would add another section of the array to inflict real damage and pain somehow. Like an inflict wounds kind of power perhaps. His bloodsense should eventually give him a bonus to insight as he can discern some information from what he can sense about others. I have some thoughts about some other bloody horror-ish powers but I am not quite there yet.
You're going to need a Close Combat: Creepy Blood Powers as well, but that can cover any of the uses of your powers.
Done
Affecting him on a failed close combat roll works for me. I'll leave you to keep on top of your Affliction as is appropriate, though if it gets forgotten I will request that you buy back the power points that were gained with the Flaw.
More than fair. I like my characters to have drawbacks, TJ is a good example. For Jace his powers will be strong and scary and I want there to be a real problem should things misfire.
Old Nov 13th, 2022, 07:04 PM
His divine shadow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7590
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
Description and a preliminary sheet up.
Dice Roll:
1d10 8
doom
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 07:35 AM
Ancient Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1634
Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy Anarchy
The game is now closed to new applicants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaHuck View Post
I'm interested in applying. Love superhero games. Haven't played M & M before, but read the rulebook a year ago and think the system is brilliant.

Character concept is a young female victim of human trafficking in a country ravaged by protracted war (like Afghanastan in the real world). She's seen the dark side of humanity from a position of powerlessness. Now there's a sudden injection of power; what will she do?

Power set would be enhanced strength, speed, agility, durability, and senses. Maybe can fly.
  • Welcome!
  • Please reply to post that you can keep up with a daily posting game as I will only be considering those applicants that can make that requirement.
  • Include a roll of an embedded D10 roll (formatted as listed in the ad) in a post replying to this, the result of which will determine the curveball that awaits each of you that are selected.
  • How do you see yourself allocating your points at PL 10? Mainly focused on how you see your powers changing over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozombie View Post
I too am interested in applying. I haven't played M&M before, but I've read the rule books and would love a chance to have a go at it.
  • Welcome!
  • Please reply to post that you can keep up with a daily posting game as I will only be considering those applicants that can make that requirement.
  • Include a roll of an embedded D10 roll (formatted as listed in the ad) in a post replying to this, the result of which will determine the curveball that awaits each of you that are selected.
  • How do you see yourself allocating your points at PL 10? Mainly focused on how you see your powers changing over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acathala View Post
I'm going for a demonic bat/human hybrid monster look, with the ability to make amplified bat shrieks, screeching, and other bat like sounds. Alfred is designing the suit to both troll and mock the cultists. I hope this is distinct enough. Probably going to have burn a PP for the feature.
Appreciate your flexibility, that sounds perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acathala View Post
I'm not sure how to embed text.
One option is to check the formatting guide provided on RPGCrossing (Link), though typically, what I do is quote some's post to see how they formatted their text and then edit an old post to play around with it to get used to how it works (Note: that if you copy an existing roll you will need to eliminate the part of the code that identifies that specific code or it will simply show that roll again; e.g erase "= 35881366 ").

To embed a roll in text would look like: [*tt=?][*dice=R]d20+0[/dice][/tt]

The ? is where you put your text.
The capital R is where you would describe your roll.
I have placed an * to disable it from simply rolling/showing just text so you can see the BB Code. To make it work erase both of the the asterisks.

An example is found
Dice Acrobatics vs. DC 18:
d20+9 (7)+9 Total = 16
here, which lets you simply mouse over to see the embedded roll. The same can happen with Adam & Eve were the first ones to ignore the Apple terms and conditions.embedded text or an embedded image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcZero View Post
Fair enough, I am happy to focus a little more,
Appreciate your flexibility. /high 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GleefulNihilism View Post
Otherwise, nothing is changed and I've done the thing. Consider me Ready then, at least for now.
Thanks for the heads up. Will do my final check over after this next review, and if everything is copacetic you should be ready to chill by the pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalladiaMors View Post
Change made. Traded her body armor for an upgrade to a smartphone and a set of night vision goggles. Both those and her pistol are from her military days, and while normally a soldier wouldn't keep such things, you would (or perhaps would not) be surprised how often things just don't get accounted for, put in the wrong box, or otherwise go missing.
Will do my final check over after this next review. Hang tight Ghost Rider, the pattern is full. (sips very hot coffee in a surprisingly smug fashion)

Last edited by Anarchy; Nov 14th, 2022 at 10:08 AM.
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 08:33 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9571
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Drum roll please.
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 09:24 AM
His divine shadow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7590
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
I actually did the embedded text in my post just before yours. Embarrassed about how easy it was.
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 11:30 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9571
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 12:02 PM
chief fiction officer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5257
morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha
Real life getting in the way of completing my app. If it's not too late, I'll be able to answer questions and finalize tomorrow.
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 12:02 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie
I see no problem posting every day. I’m either checking posts or posting here every day anyway.

Character Concept: At PL 10 I see her learning how to combine her wind powers for additional effects. I also see her abilities, defense and skills improving as alongside with her powers as she learns how to use all together more effectively.
Dice The roll:
d10+0 (7)+0 Total = 7
The curveball

pix Limited Edition Soylent Green! Hurry while supplies last!

Character sheet below: Coming soon!

I'm just finishing up my character in secret for writing purposes. Will un secret it when I'm done. I did a complete character change, as you can see! If this doesn't fit in your world, please let me know.
Character

[*]Name: Asir Rera “New Wind”
[*]Age: 26
[*]Archetype: The Wind Warrior
[*]Mutant Powers: There is nothing subtle about Asir’s powers. Asir can create the weather effects of wind that reflects one of the weather conditions found in her homeland of Hokkaido. Whenever she uses her powers, a wind starts blowing around her, becoming more intense and stronger, or weaker, reflecting how much effort she is putting into using them. Her powers create wind that can push people and objects away from her, deflect attacks and stun people with a blast of wind. Her powers also have the sound of blowing wind, from almost no sound to the roar of a windstorm. [*]Nationality: Ainu, Japan’s Ingenious people originally from Hokkaido, Japan[*]Physical Description: Asir’s ethnic Ainu heritage can clearly be seen in how she looks. She has light skin, and deep-set blue eyes (externally 2qarare) that have a more rounded European look to them. Her hair is black, very thick, and very wavy to the point of being frizzy. There is a solid black tattoo around her mouth, and tattoos on her fingers and arms. Asir usually wears blue jeans or sweatpants, and tee shirts when she’s not working. When she’s visiting her family in Hokkaido she wears traditional Ainu clothing.

[*]Disposition/Personality: Asir is friendly, social and enjoys sharing her culture and beliefs to others who are curious enough to ask her about her people and herself. At the same time, she’s very curious about and really enjoys learning about the people around her and their point of views on things. This is due to her up bringing which emphasized the ideals of community and helping each other when it was needed. She considers her friends as part of her extended family and will do anything to help and protect them.
[*]Complications:
1. Motivation: Doing Good: Asir wishes to show the Ainu in a positive way in the hope of dispelling many misconceptions people might have about them.
2. Motivation: Responsibility: She knows the power wind has and the destruction it can cause. Controlling one of the forces of nature is going to be hard and Asir is determined to rise to the challenge and will use her powers for the betterment of others. Her parents and Grandparents are her inspirations and guidance for this new phase in her life.
3. Prejudice: Asir knows that there are still many people who don’t acknowledge or accept that she is part of Japan. Instead, they view her as nothing more than a foreigner and treat her according. She doesn’t hold it against them though. With patience, such attitudes can be changed.
4. Recognition: Not for herself but for her people. With the labile of “The Ainu: The Hidden People of Japan.” and being a member of a group, whose culture and language is in danger of becoming extinct, Asir wants to change this. She believes that no ethnic or ingenious group should be marginalized to the point of non-existence.

[*]Background: A foreigner in her own homeland. After years of forced assimilation into mainstream Japanese culture, most Ainu don’t speak their native language, don’t know a thing about their culture or even know they are even Ainu. Born in Hokkaido, Asir is one of the lucky few that grew up Ainu among those who still practiced what was left of their culture. She also learned at an early age what it was like to an indigenous person living in a larger dominate society.

When she went to school, she was taunted by her peers. The Japanese word for dog (inu) sounds very similar to the word “Ainu,” and so her Japanese classmates called her “Inu” or dog. When she was old enough to get a job, no matter how qualified she was, as soon as she went for the interview, one look at her different physical appearance and suddenly she got the “We’ll get in contact with you” excuse. And the few times that Asir was able to get a job, she was payed a much lower wage then same co-workers who were hired the same time she was. And promotions? She was always over looked in favor for a less qualified person.

Unfortunately, her troubles haven’t stopped even though she is a young adult now. After an incident involving the theft of some property from the place she was teaching at, the first one the authorities came to was Asir for questing. After all the Ainu are prone to commit crimes and can’t be trusted. Even when the actual thief was caught, fingers continued to point at her and the authorities were watching her every move. After all, she HAD to be involved in some way. Yet, despite all of this and with the support of her family and community, Asir never once wavered in her pride of whom she is or of the people she is descended from. Now that she is older, Asir openly practices her traditional culture ways and speaks Ainu whenever she can. She also teaches whoever is willing to learn her culture before it becomes a thing of the past.
[*]Roleplaying Sample: It was a bright and hot sunny day in Hokkaido when it happened. THAT thing that happened in front of everyone to see.

Asir was visiting her parents and family one day when her grandparents decided it was time to teach her a new traditional dance for the upcoming summer festival. This dance was particularly hard, with a lot of body movement, hand clapping and singing. A lot more then she was used to. She was having a lot of trouble memorizing the complex dance patterns and was miss- stepping a lot. The festival was only a few days away, but she managed to at least make it look like she knew what she was doing.

On the day of the summer festival, the turnout was quite large. As a matter of fact, it was much larger than expected with a lot of local and foreigners attending the celebration. It was Asir and her groups turn to take the stage and dance the traditional dance for the audience. Everything was going fine, until Asir had to make a turn towards the audience while sweeping her hands and arms forward. And that’s when THAT thing that happened in front of everyone to see happened. As she pushed her hands and arms forwards, towards the audience, a light gust of wind came from her. The gust of wind was just strong enough to blow off some hats and blow up some dresses and skirts showing some….stuff. As the audience erupted into chaos as people scramble to recover lost hats and cover themselves up, Asir stood as still as a deer in headlights, eyes wide open and her jaw almost touching the ground. Suddenly, her face turned a bright red and covering her face with her hands, she fled the stage. Hiding in the changing room of the backstage area, Asir didn’t know if she should cry, laugh or do both at what just happened…..

Abilities
Strength (Str): 1
Stamina (Sta): 3
Agility (Agl): 3
Fighting (Fgt): 0
Dexterity (Dex): 3
Intellect (Int): 0
Awareness (Awe): 3
Presence (Pre): 0

Defence
Dodge (Agl): 4
Fort (Sta): 4
Parry (Fgt): 0
Toughness (Sta): 3
Will (Awe): 5

Offence
Initiative (Agl): +7
Close: +0 to Strike, 0 Damage
Ranged: +0 to Strike, 0 Damage

Skills
Acrobatics (Agl): 2 (+5)
Athletics (Str): 1 (+2)
Close Combat (Fgt): 0 (+0) Please specify
Deception (Pre): 0 (+0)
Expertise (Int): 0 (+0) Please specify
Insight (Awe): 0 (+3)
Intimidation (Pre): 0 (+0)
Investigation (Int): 0 (+0)
Perception (Awe): 0 (+3)
Persuasion (Pre): 3 (+3)
Ranged Combat (Dex): 0 (+3) Please specify
Sleight of Hand (Dex): 0 (+0)
Stealth (Agl): 0 (+3)
Technology (Int): 0 (+0)
Treatment (Int): 0 (+0)
Vehicles (Dex): 0 (+0)

Advantages Favored Environment: Air: restricted to flying at top speed, Fearless, Improved Initiative (1), Instant Up, Move-By-Action, Teamwork, Jack-of-all-Trades, Languages 2: Japanese, Ainu, English. PP9

Mutant Powers

Wind Blast: Cone Area Move Object, Close Range, Limited to Pushing Away • 1 point perrankWind Blast Rank 6. 6pp

Wind-Riding: Flight • 2 points perrank.Wind-Riding ] Rank 6. 12pp

Wind Screen: Impervious Protection, Sustained, Limited to Physical Damage • 1 point perrank.Wind Screen Rank 6. 6pp

Wind Burst: Ranged Burst Area Affliction (Resisted and Overcome by Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated) • 3 points per rankWind Burst Rank 6. 6pp

Whirlwind: Deflect, Cloud Area 2 (30-foot radius), Limited to Attacks Targeting Dodge • 2 points per rankWhirl Wind Rank 6. 12pp

Wind-Lifting: Burst Area Move Object, Selective •4pointsperrank. Wind-Lifting Rank 3. 12pp

Immunity to Weather: Immunity 2 (Earthly Weather) • 2 points Immunity to Weather 2pp

Weatherproof: Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation: Weather) • 2 points Weatherproof 2pp

PL 8: Abilities 26, Defence 4, Skills 6, Advantages 9, Powers 58 = 100 Power Points

Last edited by voodoozombie; Nov 19th, 2022 at 06:37 PM.
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 01:35 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1279
ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero
Fingers crossed. Great characters, everyone!

@voodoozombie Not to be a party pooper but Anarchy did say no summons or duplication in the game ad. Up to them if they want to make an exception, but otherwise I'd have made a cloning character haha.

@Anarchy At the risk of being a little too specific to get us on the same page: I am taking a lot of inspiration from telekinetic characters in various mediums but big opaque white arrows instead of being invisible. I can't find exactly what I'm thinking of, so here are some examples. Atom Eve's flight in Invincible, but longer. Older animes like Elfen Lied or Read or Die. The reason for Parry and Dodge Enhanced Trait is that the Vectors
normal image without text wrap
Something like this, but white arrows
actively have to pop up to defend him, he's not athletic. That's why he has that frailty complication.

Last edited by ArcZero; Nov 14th, 2022 at 02:13 PM.
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 02:21 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I didn't notice that part. No problem! I have other ideals that don't summon or control others. Thanks for the heads up on that!
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 05:34 PM
Erasmus B. Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3420
PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck
Um, okay. . . .

Okay with posting frequency

Dice curve ball roll:
1d10 8
The Curveball

Shuruuq (Mahzala)

right-aligned image
Roleplaying Sample & Origin Story:

Ghazan was home, and Ghazan was drunk. Mahzala prayed that he would just pass out in the front room and let her be.

But it would not be so, as she heard her husband cursing as he struggled to unbolt the door to the backroom of the small cinderblock dwelling. He was making a poor go of it, and the man that had bought her was in a full rage by the time he got the thing open.

Can I escape? Is he so drunk?

Mahzala stretched to spy the front door around Ghazan's large frame as he came stumbling in, but her hopes were dashed as she saw the front door was latched. It's only latch was the lock, and she had no key.

Her voice shook slightly as she tried to assuage him. "My good husband, what fortune, I did not look for you so soon."

"Do you think me a fool?" Spittle shot from Ghazan's lips as he shouted and grabbed her roughly. "I know you curse my name, you filthy whore!" The drunk man began to unfastened his belt, for a beating.

Your wicked name I do curse. For it is true that I am a prostitute, for you have made me one, you evil man.

But Mahzala said nothing, knowing it would only make it worse.

The blows came. It was nothing new, but it still hurt like hell. Mahzala fought back tears, having learnt they were likely to enrage her husband further.

Glancing surreptitiously at the mirror in the room, a gleam of light reflected to dazzle her eye. The front door opened to let in the light of the sunrise. It was Ghazan's son, Awalmir, entering the house.

Allah's mercy, I do not know the last time I have seen the sight of the sun.

Something about seeing the outside and the rising sun tugged at her heart, and she was filled with a powerful urge to be outside and free beyond all description.

And that's when the world exploded. If someone had taken a video of the inside of that house, and then played out back in slow motion, they would have seen Mahzala glow with a golden corona and then launch through the cinder block walls and part of the roof, causing the house to collapse. But no such clarity was to be had at the time.

From Mhazala's perspective, there was a sudden glow, a deafening explosion, and then the strange sensation of flying through the air. She crashed to the earth two blocks away in stunned confusion.

Was this a drone strike? Am I really still alive?

People in the neighborhood were shouting and hiding. Gradually, Mhazala established her body was intact, and that she even could stand and walk.

She did not walk back home. She had no idea where she was going, or how she would survive.

But she knew she was not going back there.

Background:

Mahzala remembers less of her early childhood than you might expect. Some combination of being too young and repression of painful memories makes a lot of the details fuzzy for her. She knows her family worked with the American-supported government before it collapsed. She knows education and opportunity as well as tradition were important to them, as she learned Arabic and English along with Pashto as a child. She knows she had a sister. She knows she was sold as a bride around the age of six or seven. But she does not remember the circumstances of the sale. Did something happen to her parents? Was she kidnapped? Or, worst of all, did they decide to sell her due to financial difficulties? All were plausible in Mahzala’s warn-torn, impoverished Afghanistan.

Her husband, Ghazan, was a wretched hulk of a man. In his early fifties at their meeting, Ghazan was the second son of a somewhat well-off family. Much of Ghazan’s closer family died in the war, and he turned out to be a bit of a failure at business in the current environment. He nursed bitterness and was teased by his peers. He became a bad drunk. To improve his financial situation, Ghazan began to bring men in to the house to pay money to have sex with Mahzala. This was terrifying for her. She tried to run, but was caught, and ended up locked up in the house. Ghazan felt shame for being married to a prostitute, which he addressed by beating her regularly for her infidelity.

She escaped captivity during the episode when her powers first awkwardly manifested. But this created new problems for her, as a woman traveling alone in her country immediately becomes a target for harsh reprisals by militant patriarchy. Fortunately for Mahzala, her stature allowed her to disguise herself as a boy to avoid the worst of it.

Still what was she to do? How was she to survive? Avoiding authorities, eating and drinking what you can beg or steal is difficult anywhere. But in Afghanistan? Mahzala did not expect to live long. She began to wander aimlessly, waiting to die.

In this dazed state, Mahzala found herself crossing the Beshood bridge, over the Kabul River. Traffic was at a standstill. She absently looked at vehicles a she walked past. She saw a bus full of Mazara students. She new that Pashtuns like her said Mazaras were bad, but she never knew why.

A boy several years younger than her pedaled up on a bicycle. Strangely, he stopped, got off his bike, and leaned it against the stuck bus. The boy fiddled with something in the covered load on the back of his bike, and then ran back the way he had came, at a full sprint.

Mahzala felt the piercing feeling of adrenaline. Something was wrong. She pulled up the cover on the load and saw two crates of glass two liter bottles tied together. The bottles on top and sides were full of nails. The ones underneath were full of something that looked like mud. She could smell fuel.

A bomb. Without thinking, she picked up the bicycle and carried it to the edge of the bridge. This is how I go, she thought.

Mhazala dropped the bicycle off the side of the bridge to the dried up river below. A moment later, the bike exploded.

Finally succumbing to hunger, thirst, exhaustion, and stress, Mahzala collapsed onto the pavement.

Expecting the afterlife, Mahzala instead awoke in a hospital. What? How am I still alive? Is this a real, live hospital? I can't believe it!

Name:

Mahzala is her only name, as is common where she is from. If immigration to the United States requires her to adopt a second name, she will follow the common practice of just taking her name again to have the legal name of Mahzala Mahzala.

Mahzala will take the hero name of “Shuruuq”. I don’t know any Arabic, but if I am interpreting my sources correctly, Shuruuq is an English alphabet writing of an Arabic word for “sunrise”. Mahzala will pick this as her hero moniker because she likes the idea of the sunrise as a metaphor for hope and relief after a long night of darkness, which she hopes people will identify with and be inspired by. Also, it was in seeing the sunrise for the first time in years (reflected off of the mirror in her room when Ghazan’s son opened the front door as the door to her room was open) that her powers first manifested and she escaped from her bondage. She chose an Arabic word because of her association of the language with dim happy memories of her early childhood, and because of her learning the Quran in Arabic, and it’s importance to her.

Of course, how many heroes actually get to pick their public name? If Mahzala gets to control her branding, and they want an American version, she would probably be called “Sunrise”. But who knows what people and the media will call her? She’ll probably end up with something like “Shimmer” or “The Golden Lantern”.

Mahzala is eighteen.

Archetype:

In the DC universe, her power set and concern for the oppressed remind me of Wonder Woman. Although her background and appearance are quite different. I envision her party roles as: Tank, Strength, Social, Can Fly.

Mutant Powers:

Mahzala’s mutant powers are heightened strength, durability, speed, and senses, and she can fly. Whenever she exerts more than normal strength, durability, or speed, or whenever she flies, she develops a harmless rippling corona of golden light around her, and her eyes glow with the same color.

Nationality:

Mahzala is from Afghanistan. From a larger city in the Pahstun region (such as real world Jalalabad).

Physical Description:

Mahzala is a small young woman with olive complexion, green eyes, and dark brown hair. Her body bears scars from abuse. She is given to covering her head and wearing loose, baggy clothing.

Disposition/Personality:

Mahzala has had a very traumatic life as a child and young adult, and of course that trauma creeps into her thoughts and behaviors in all sorts of insidious ways. She has had to learn to survive in a situation where she had extremely little power. She is often soft spoken by long habit. But she is also one of those people that has an inextinguishable passion for justice. Expect her to open up and grow a lot over the course of the story. A lot more details of her personality are worked into the Complications section.

Complications:

Traumatic/Mysterious Childhood (Motivation-ish): Mahzala was sold as a child bride under circumstances she doesn’t understand. It haunts her and affects her view of the world and her actions. Will she ever learn the truth?

Traumatic Young Adult Life (Motivation-ish): Mahzala was badly abused by her husband specifically, and generally failed by her community-at-large. She has had to learn to be extremely self-reliant and to always be careful to not put herself in even more danger. How will having powers change Mahzala?

Pregnant (Possible future Motivation – Who knows?): Unbeknownst to Mahzala, she has very recently become pregnant. Is it Ghazan’s, or from one of the men he brought? How will Mahzala feel about the baby? How will she deal with being pregnant while threatened by the dangers of the adventure? Will the pregnancy carry to term?

Faith (Motivation): Mahzala takes a deep solace in her faith. Her faith has been private and internal, rather that social. It is aberrant relative to her culture, as her faith is restricted to just the actual verses of the Quran, not the vast body of religious development based on the writings and pronouncements of religious authorities. She believes in a power greater than the forces of oppression in the language of her faith. If she becomes a superhero and celebrity, will what has always been private for her become public discussion?

Prejudice: Mahzala comes from an ethnicity and nationality viewed with suspicion and treated with bigotry by western civilization.

Culture Shock: Although Mahzala’s life so far has been objectively awful, at least she was familiar with the culture and customs. Day-to-day life in a comic book fantasy analog of Manhattan or Chicago will constantly present Mahzala with confusion and challenges.

Justice/Protection (Motivation): Mahzala is one of those people for whom the draw of justice is always more powerful than overwhelming outrageousness circumstance. For her entire life, her ability to help herself, let alone others, was severely limited. All that may be changed now, and Mahzala will be drawn to using her power to help the downtrodden.

Abilities
Strength (Str): 8
Stamina (Sta): 7
Agility (Agl): 3
Fighting (Fgt): 2
Dexterity (Dex): 2
Intellect (Int): 1
Awareness (Awe): 4
Presence (Pre): 2

Defence
Dodge (Agl): 3 + 0 = 3
Fort (Sta): 7 + 0 = 7
Parry (Fgt): 2 + 0 = 2
Toughness (Sta): 7 + 0 = 7
Will (Awe): 4 + 3 = 7

Offense
Initiative (Agl): 1 + 0 = 1
Close: +2 to Strike, 8 Damage (Unarmed)
Ranged: +2 to Strike, 8 Damage (Throw)

Skills
Acrobatics (Agl): 3 (+0)
Athletics (Str): 8 (+0)
Close Combat (Fgt): 2 (+0) Unarmed
Deception (Pre): 2 (+4) = 6
Expertise (Int): 1 (+0) N/A
Insight (Awe): 4 (+2) = 6
Intimidation (Pre): 2 (+0)
Investigation (Int): 1 (+0)
Perception (Awe): 4 (+2) = 6
Persuasion (Pre): 2 (+0) = 2
Ranged Combat (Dex): 2 (+0) Throw
Sleight of Hand (Dex): 2 (+0)
Stealth (Agl): 3 (+0)
Technology (Int): 1 (+0)
Treatment (Int): 1 (+0)
Vehicles (Dex): 2 (+0)

Advantages

Fascinate (Deception): 1 Rank. Mahzala has become skilled in the art of telling stories to forestall or prevent other unpleasant activities.

Great Endurance: +5 on checks vs. Fatigue, Hold Breath, Starvation, Thirst, Hot or Cold Environments, Suffocation, and Drowning

Interpose: Reaction to become target rather than a hit ally in range, once per round

Languages: Pashto, English, Arabic

Ultimate Effort (Toughness): Spend Hero Point for automatic roll of 20

Ultimate Effort (Will): Spend Hero Point for automatic roll of 20

Mutant Powers

Mutant Strength
Enhanced Trait (Strength) 8: w/o enhancement, Strength is 0 (cost = 16 Power Points)

Mutant Toughness
Enhanced Trait (Stamina) 6: w/o enhancement, Stamina is 1 (cost = 12 Power Points)
Impervious Toughness 7 (cost = 7 Power Points)

Mutant Speed
Enhanced Trait (Agility) 2: w/o enhancement, Agility is 1 (Cost = 4 Power Points)
Enhanced Trait (Fighting) 2: w/o enhancement, Fighting is 0 (Cost = 4 Power Points)
Quickness 1: complete tasks 2x faster (Cost = 1 Power Points)
Speed 4: 30 mph run speed (Cost = 4 Power Points)

Mutant Senses
Enhanced Trait (Dexterity) 1: w/o enhancement, Dexterity is 1 (Cost = 2 Power Points)
Accurate Smell (cost = 1 Power Point)
Low-Light Vision (cost = 1 Power Point)
Extended Vision 1: -1 Perception for every 100 feet (cost = 1 Power Point)
Extended Hearing 1: -1 Perception for every 100 feet (cost = 1 Power Point)

Sunrise Flight (Mutant)
Flight 6: 120 mph, Mahzala’s golden corona is always visible while flying (cost = 12 Power Points)

PL 8: Abilities 20, Defense 3, Skills 4, Advantages 7, Powers 66 = 100 Power Points

Concept for Power Level 10:

Increase social skills, fighting skills and strength, durability, speed, and flight, maybe some immunities

Last edited by PapaHuck; Nov 17th, 2022 at 06:46 PM.