Other The Witcher - Last Call of the Night - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook facebook
0 3 7 0
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 04:43 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2972
Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray
The Witcher - Last Call of the Night

Game NameThe Witcher - Last Call of the Night
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeA ragged group of individuals looking to escape the horrors of the Third Northern War band together for survival
FlavourDark and Gritty, Low Magic, Survival
Plot Summary

Closing Date: Friday 25th November

The year is 1272, and the Third Northern war has begun. The Northern Realms has been wracked with infighting, and insurrection following the assassination of the Kings Demavend and Foltest by the Kingslayer, Letho of Gulet at the behest of Emperor Emhyr var Emreis. The instability of the Northern Kingdoms has left the region in a state of flux, and it is this chaos that has left the land in an ideal state for the Empire of Nilfgaard to begin their invasion.

Nilfgaardian troops have crossed the border, destroying all in their wake, setting homes and farmland to the torch and killing all those who stand in their path. The war has brought with it a cornucopia of horrors to go with all the bloodshed and wanton destruction, and for those lucky enough to have not seen the bringers of death with their own eyes it is only a matter of time before the Black Ones come. And where they pass, the ravens and carrion eaters will feast on the bodies of those they leave behind them, and the bloodstained mud and earth will be claimed by the necrophages as they crawl from the depths of the dark holes they dwell in.

For in truth, they are the only true benefactors of this senseless carnage.

Ahead of the bringers of death though, word of their coming flies on the wind. Stories of unspeakable acts and atrocities make their way to those not yet affected by the ravages of war. People start to gather their belongings and leave their homes in an effort to escape that which they know is coming. Yet the future for those that try to leave the carnage, as well as those that do not is incredibly bleak.

You count amongst their number.

You are either fleeing the way before it comes to your doorstep or are deserters from the Nilgaardian army. Which side of the fence you have originated from is unimportant to the events that are about to unfold. What is both irrevocably real and true though is the fact that you have banded together with a group of like-minded individuals who's only real goal is to survive what is coming.

You have arrived at the small Aedirnian town of Ashberg looking for refuge, both from the approaching horrors but, perhaps more importantly, a place to rest and a roof above your head for the night. The darkness in the Continent, as you well know, brings with it its own perils and the monsters that otherwise hide within the shadows, looking for their own victims to feast upon.

And while you are here, earning some coin would not be a bad thing either given that you are running low on funds yourselves, however, little do you realise that Ashberg itself has its own problems. The sort of problems that outsiders like yourselves might be best placed to solveÖ.

About the Game and the PlayersHello everyone, this game will be a little unusual in terms of what I am looking for so I wanted to explain a little bit up front in terms of what I am looking for and what I am needing. For pretty much all of my adult life Iíve been playing and running D&D, all the way from the Red Box Basic Set through to D&D 5e. Apart from the occasional dabble in Pathfinder, D&D is all Iíve really known for tabletop roleplaying.

Recently Iíve found myself moving further and further away from D&D. 5e as a system doesnít fulfil everything that I want it to fulfil, and that recent dissatisfaction has been further compounded with the recent announcements for One D&D. Iím pretty sure that the next edition of D&D will be a fantastic system and one that will bring lots of joy to people, but the direction that WotC is going in leaves me cold. Iím not interested in a virtual tabletop, nor am I interested in the (inevitable) subscription fees that will come with it. Iím pretty old school, I like my books, written by people who have passion for the product and the franchise they are writing for. This game and system really ticks all those boxes.

I have a long-standing love of the Witcher franchise that began about 12 years ago when I first tried the original Witcher game. From there my love of the series has grown and cultivated into what it is today.

This will be my first attempt at GMíing a game outwith D&D or Pathfnder variants and I am hella nervous about it. There is something near overwhelming about not only trying to learn a new system from the very beginning but also doing the franchise it is based on justice without mangling the lore or getting things wrong, but, and I cannot stress this enough, I am absolutely dedicated to this and I am in this for the long haul.

What I am looking for here is more than anything else a stable and reliable group. One that will accept the fact that I am a very new GM to this system and allow me to make my mistakes and learn from them and one that also wants to be in a long-running campaign played through PbP.

I will get things wrong, there will probably be occasions where I will get things horribly wrong, but I want to learn the system through doing and I want to grow with the learning.

This initial adventure is a small, quick adventure that we can probably complete in a matter of a few months with consistent posting. But, and this is the important part, it is intended to be a springboard to bigger and better things. I am very much in this for the long haul, and I love this system for what it is.

As a player you should be both patient and tolerant for a novice GM. You should either have access to the Witcher Easy Mode pdf or the Core Rulebook or at least some familiarity with the ruleset, itís not a game for people new to the system to come in on as I am not the best person to teach the rules at this juncture. That said, if you have a copy of the book and are willing to learn alongside me then Iíd love to hear from you.

The theme and flavour of the game I am going for is a small and intimate group, you are all struggling to survive and fleeing from the war for your own reasons. You have likely joined together out of a mutual need for survival and this theme will be something that I reinforce during the game. You are absolutely struggling to make ends meet and are looking for any work you can get.

I am looking for four players and will close the ad dependent on interest and getting those numbers. If I do not get four then I am happy to go with what I get and if I get over four I will make selections from the applications I receive.

At the very least I will be looking for one post a week, with myself updating every Sunday. Should the posting rate be more than that then that is ok with me as well and I will update more frequently if needed, but at the very least you can always expect a post from me on Sunday. If, as a player, you miss that weeks worth of updates then itís on you to catch up with any updates I make. Should you miss three updates in a row without letting me know beforehand then I will remove you from the game.

Lastly, the sorts of game that I favour strongly encourage open and honest inter-party roleplay and interactions and I am hoping to attract similar storytellers to share this experience with me. This game will be LGBTQ friendly.

ApplicationsFor this game, and until I get my bearings really on what I am doing, I am restricting the sources to the Core Rulebook only in terms of character creation.

The following party roles are available for selection:-
  • Bard
  • Craftsman
  • Criminal
  • Doctor
  • Mage
  • Man At Arms
  • Merchant
  • Priest
  • Witcher

Ideally I would like a balanced selection of roles to take into the game. As this system is not like most others, in that combat is not the main focus of the game I will be restricting the group to one Witcher only. We will deal with the mechanics of character creation and lifepath rolling upon final acceptance to the game.

In terms of an application I am looking for the following:

Character Concept: Here you will write me 1-2 paragraphs with a high-level overview of your character. This is your chance to paint me a broad picture of your character, a brief description, what makes them tick and any quirks or mannerisms they might have. Please include a picture to go with your concept.

Goals & Ambitions: Here you will list a couple of basic goals or ambitions your character would like to achieve.

Fears & Flaws: List for me some things your character is afraid of, and some flaws, these might be flaws of the personality or physical flaws of some description. You may secret these to me if you would prefer.

Backstory: 1-2 paragraphs please, I donít need war and peace for this. At the very least you should touch on how it is you came to flee to the town of Ashberg.

Posts: I would like links to two posts you have made in games here. These neednít be your best work, in fact Iíd rather they werenít and the posts be reflective of a typical post from yourself. Or, if you prefer, a short role-play snippet preferably written as if you were posting as your character for this game would suffice.

Finally, as part of your application, I would like for you to answer the following questions:

1) What interested you in applying to this game?
2) Are you happy to commit to a long-term play by post game and one that will likely continue after this first adventure?
3) How familiar are you with the Witcher franchise?
4) What sort of things do you look for in a Play by Post game?
5) Conversely is there anything you donít want to see in a Play by Post game or any hard noís in terms of content?

Last edited by Ballingray; Nov 9th, 2022 at 07:52 AM.
Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 04:44 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray
FAQ
  • How many points do I get for statistics? 75
  • Is there a thread I can use for rolling my lifepath? Yes, they can be found here
  • If a Lifepath roll makes no sense for my character can I change it? Yes, I’m fine with that
  • Do we roll for money or take average? Choice is yours. If you decide to roll you can do so here
  • What is the closing date? Friday 25th November

Last edited by Ballingray; Nov 9th, 2022 at 03:46 AM.
Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 09:18 PM
Astinus in disguise

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26706
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
This looks very interesting, Ballingray! I bought the Core Rulebook and the Tome of Chaos in anticipation of this game, but have to admit that I am only just now learning the (somewhat complicated, especially for combat) rules. The mages (and sorceresses) of the Continent always fascinated me and I hope that playing a Mage wonít completely overwhelm me.

In any case, is there a thread we may roll for the lifepath or will you be leaving such choices to the players since itís optional? I have a vague idea for a character in my head, but would love to add a touch of luck with the random lifepath decisions.

Expect me to submit a character either on Friday or, more likely, the weekend.
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 02:28 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2542
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg

Lystyl Berylsea - Elven Doctor

Character Concept:

Personality Lystyl is the union of compassion and manipulation, regret and aloofness, knowledge and loss. Ultimately, she seeks a purpose in this war-struck world, using her beauty and grace to form bonds and friendships along the way. Perhaps falsely, she believes that "success" is founded on influence. Her belief is that peace is possible, if her kin can navigate their allegiance with Nilfgaard carefully, which is unlikely. In her mind, self-defeat wars against a dream of harmony. Naively, she hopes to heal the world, one patient at a time.

Appearance Despite the endless miles of paths traveled. Irrespective of the pleasure and agonies that pass with each breath. Be my self-serving duty to heal, slay or mate... I will do so with elegance. Every motion of my hands, glimmer within these eyes, or word I utter, is focused and calculated.

One can dress up for an occasion as easily as one might don garb of a utilitarian nature. The clothes do not make the woman... but they help. Even the most putrid of rags though, can not conceal my lingering, incessant, intoxicating desirability. I personify all that an elven woman should. Perhaps even a bit more. The face of an innocent, pale and youthful. Golden flickering eyes, full of life's flames, offering contrast in their windows to my truths. Yes, they have seen and endured much, you might guess.

And then there is blue. The color of the sea, of the Beryl I so easily reflect upon, of skies that are safe and free. I have always loved it, and gods forbid the day that not a splash of it adorns my sandy dawn coloured hair... as flowers or perhaps one day, jewels. Some say blues and reds are colours not for each other. Well, I disagree. Because most places I go, there is blood.

Goals & Ambitions:
What I Want
  • Find a way gather influence, either among common folk or people of higher position, to make it known that not all elves of Dol Blathanna wish to ally themselves with Nilfgaard, nor engage in the ruthlessness of the Scoia’tael.
  • Alleviate the suffering of others, regardless of race, to help counter any ill-will towards people.
  • Find a semblance of joy or peace, in an otherwise unstable world.
  • Support and help take care of the needs of her traveling companions.

Fears & Flaws:
The Bad Bits
  • Lystyl struggles to tolerate injustice and unfairness in many forms. She will put herself in harm's way to protect people from pain and suffering. A bleeding-heart, sometimes her compassion is her downfall.
  • She is emotional and easily falls victim to strong attachments to friends, lovers or allies, yet questions their true feelings for her.
  • Failure is not an option. She finds it very difficult to admit defeat when unable to save a life. Memories of the deceased, who passed under her care, haunt her.

Backstory:
Horrible Things Just HappenWork in Progress.

Decade 1: Taught the skill of awareness by local apothecary in Dol Blathanna.

Decade 2: Fell into a 1000 crown dept when attempting to study medicine, after my tutor swindled me.

Decade 3: Moved to Nilfgaard, not knowing that my tutor had contacts in very high elements of their society. I am hunted like an animal and forced to flee northwards.

Decade 4: A female bard took a liking to me, and when I turned the offer down she became violent. This desperate and powerful mage is still after me.

Decade 5: A surgery went wrong, and a soldier now seeks his revenge on me.

Decade 6: Blackmailed in Cemeria by someone who found out about my ongoing debts.

Decade 7: Poisoned by a desperate lover.

Decade 8:
A happy love affair is ongoing...

Written ThingsEyes were upon her, yet she remained still. Let him have this moment, for surely the unlucky sod deserved it.

The squeaking of the corroded door hinges hadn't stirred the elven woman, for she'd already been lying awake... thinking. Lystyl had pondered many things this dawn, some of them gruesome shadowcast things, and others resonated with great potential. Her host's younger brother's bravado at throwing stones at Nilfgaard's "peace-keepers". The daughter lost and missing. The wife who had left him. The ways a doctor might subtly amass even more allies in the wake of a war.

Only a day earlier, the elf had arrived in Asheberg's remnants. Her welcome had ranged from stern glances and sharp whispers, to smiles and open arms. Derris, the "man" of the house she now lay within, was of the latter. Especially when he'd found her to be a capable sewer of flesh. His little brother's lip had split and been hanging like some half-peeled fruit. Another laceration, to a forearm, had been deep yet clean. At least some of the Nilfgaardian steel had remained razor sharp.

There would be few crowns here. No soft cloth or sky-colored jewels. But there were other ways a surgeon might find payment. A room in an aged and creaky timber home, for starters. Ever the manipulator, it was no coincidence that Derris was a single, desperate and calm-natured man. Though he was nothing particularly special, except for his horrid path through the lands of fate, he was a beginning. Lystyl had done this an almost immemorable number of times. The same practiced routine...

Slowly she turned, a well-calculated movement as though to feign one's first waking moments. A light and graceful yawn. Two eyes the color of the purest gold innocently blinked open. A few retreating footsteps. Yes, he'd stepped away from the gap in the door, not that she'd have minded if his eyes had still been filling a mind with impossible dreams.

The aroma of a humble meal wafted in, nourishing and bready though devoid of sweetness or sparkle. An hour later, she had washed and dressed herself in a common yet well-made dress. Pale blue. Some dried flowers she'd picked the day before were carefully placed in delicately twisting blonde hair. Presentable, different, but not aloof nor noble either. Then they'd eaten together, mouthfuls between smiles and seemingly innocent conversation. Most about Lystyl's previous day. There were so many afflicted souls in Asheberg, so much work for one trained in the arts of healing. It came naturally, the soothing words and compassionate touch. She took much pleasure from it, as this was her duty, a place in life that always carved new friendships and promised influence.

Questions:
Deeper Interrogation1) What interested you in applying to this game?

Some of my favorite RP experiences have been in playing The Witcher RPG by PBP in the past. These were only two short games but the depth of characters and the brutality of the system were real standouts. For a long time I've wanted to play it again! Such a nice change from the usual 5e that I tend to play.

2) Are you happy to commit to a long-term play by post game and one that will likely continue after this first adventure?

Hell yes! Actually prefer long-term where possible, so one can get more fully invested in a character's future and relationships. As a DM (on other sites) I've had games go for around three years, so it would be nice to actually play in something long term too.

3) How familiar are you with the Witcher franchise?

Have watched the TV series and read the RPG core rules several years ago... giving it a re-read now in preparation for potentially being accepted into this game, as I'm quite rusty. My knowledge is pretty limited, so tend to rely on online wikis etc. Have never had the time to play the computer games... as most of my gaming time is spent with written forms of fun.

4) What sort of things do you look for in a Play by Post game?

Deep inter-character relationships are really fun, and seem to help keep games going for the long haul. I do enjoy a lot of banter, and also have a soft spot for domestic drama and making the "small things fun". Happy to play out just about anything really... from buying a mount, or cooking breakfast, through to intrigue and scary combat.

5) Conversely is there anything you don’t want to see in a Play by Post game or any hard no’s in terms of content?

Up for anything! Horror, romance, tension, it's all good. Go as deep as you need! I'm not easily offended

Last edited by 97mg; Nov 6th, 2022 at 09:32 PM.
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 02:40 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanir View Post
In any case, is there a thread we may roll for the lifepath or will you be leaving such choices to the players since itís optional? I have a vague idea for a character in my head, but would love to add a touch of luck with the random lifepath decisions.

Expect me to submit a character either on Friday or, more likely, the weekend.
Horray! Oh I'm totally up for lifepath rolls too... the randomality and surprises along the way can really make for some unique and whacky builds
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 04:01 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanir View Post
I am only just now learning the (somewhat complicated, especially for combat) rules. The mages (and sorceresses) of the Continent always fascinated me and I hope that playing a Mage wonít completely overwhelm me.

In any case, is there a thread we may roll for the lifepath or will you be leaving such choices to the players since itís optional?
Yup, preaching to the converted there . There will be a thread for lifepath rolls, I aim to create them over the weekend.
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 10:45 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9571
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Color me interested need to try and find the book, to take a deeper dive.
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 08:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Hi folks! I'm not great at BB code, but here's a rough sheet in case it is handy for anyone

Last edited by 97mg; Nov 5th, 2022 at 03:03 AM.
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 11:56 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1363
Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven
Kudos for expanding your gaming options and taking such a leap of faith. I admire your passion and think it's a great advertisement. A long term, story driven game with a posting rate that seems geared more to quality than quantity really interests me. Witcher fan but no expert on lore and will need to check out rules. Having said that, I'm interested and will try to post something in next couple of days.
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 12:35 AM
Funky Little Lesbian

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12457
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
I'm interested, even if I don't end up applying I'll roll up a lifepath or two. Might even roll a Witcher, feeling kinda spicy.

How do you feel about people changing stuff in their lifepath? Like one or two rolls if they feel they don't make sense?
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 04:25 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@97mg, love the sheet, that’s pretty awesome

@Marshmallow yep, that’s absolutely fine with me.

@All, I have the forum for the game now and I’ll set up two dice rolling threads, one for normal Lifepath rolling and one for Witcher lifepath rolling either tomorrow or Sunday depending on IRL free time. Once that’s done I’ll post the links here for you all to use.

Thank you all for the interest so far, I honestly wasn’t certain how much I’d get when I first posted this ad but I’ve been really encouraged by the response to it, it’s good to see.

Last edited by Ballingray; Nov 4th, 2022 at 04:45 AM.
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 06:27 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2261
Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70
Posting interest, new to the system but will have a look over the weekend and see what it sparks.
Shh nothing to see here...yet!

Character Concept: Dolan Tarney is a Dwarf with a complicated past who is simply trying to ply his trade and keep his head on his shoulders as the world takes a rapid descent to hell all around him. Stoic but also keen to make his mark where he feels necessary. He knows he had had fortune in his life as well as tragedy. Tolerant of most, but only for a while, he is keen to help out the folks who are doing 'good'. Keen not to return to Mahakam and with a particular list of names he wishes to tick off.

Goals & Ambitions: Dolan has a list of names he wishes to reduce. Dolan is keen to help people through crafting abilities..

Fears & Flaws: Dolan is not keen to meet others from Mahakam or the mountains. He fears failure and is very fastidious in his habits.

Backstory:
These bags sure are heavy mister Tarney moaned the boy assigned to him by the Innkeeper to stow away his stuff. It'll put some muscle on the skeleton of yours and not without need by the looks of things Laddie! Dolan bit back with an unnecessarily heavy tone. He was tired, he was cold, and he was in dire need of something resembling a real bed after several days on the road with the refugees from the villages to the east. It had been a risk travelling with then, larger groups attract predators, of the both the human and animal kind. And then there were the other things. They had been fortunate, passing two groups who hadn't, they seemed enough to sate the hunger of those set to violence and the party has arrived in Asheberg without incident. The refugees had camped roughly on the edge of town, joining other groups of displaced. Dolan had headed straight for the largest Inn he could see and offered his services to the owner. Smithing, thatching, simple repairs, anything which needed fixed. He may have overestimated his skill in some areas, but the owner was not a craftsman, and this was not Mahakam, although it was a damn sight closer than Dolan was happy with.

He set about arranging his meagre kit and gazed longingly at the cot in the corner of the room. First, he had to work and prove his credentials to the landlord before taking a spot at the fire and sampling some of Asheberg's Ale. He placed a hip flask on the bed, a worn but well made item with two interwinding runic symbols carved into the centre. Impossibly fine featured, you would swear no Dwarven hand could been responsible. But Dolan knew better, and after some warmth and some ale, he would retire to his room and drink from the flask, seeking oblivion in her arms for another night. Of course, he would dream, he would awake in tears, and he would rise at the dawn to look for those in need of his services. The Innkeeper could pay, but may could not, and these would be served in the morning before he once more returned to earn his keep for another night. And on his wanderings, he would listen, perhaps enquire about those like him, thoughts drifting to the list in the leather pouch about his neck.

Posts: Above may do, I prefer to write in order to get my head into a character but will add a couple of posts here too

Finally, as part of your application, I would like for you to answer the following questions:

1) What interested you in applying to this game? The world of the Witcher interests me, especially for those who are not Witcher or Mage?. How do they manage to have a positive effect with all of the other drama going on around them? It also sounds like you are looking for a longer-term commitment if things go well and this is the type of game I am now interested in most. It gives a slow-burner option for character development and relationships.
2) Are you happy to commit to a long-term play by post game and one that will likely continue after this first adventure? Yes
3) How familiar are you with the Witcher franchise? I have read the first book and have the next to get round to, I have watched the TV show and really enjoyed it. I have ridden a horse around some of the locations in one of the PS4 games and then been soundly killed by something evil. That was my main hint that a Witcher PC was not for me.
4) What sort of things do you look for in a Play by Post game? I am now looking for something more in line with weaving an interesting and cohesive story with the other PC's and the DM/GM
5) Conversely is there anything you don’t want to see in a Play by Post game or any hard no’s in terms of content? Nothing specific I can think of.

Also, I am fine with the use of a discord channel

Last edited by Talissen70; Nov 11th, 2022 at 10:19 AM.
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 07:12 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Just out of curiosity, how does everyone feel about me setting up a discord channel for the game when it starts? I've often found in the past that using discord can facilitate easier and quicker OOC questions and clarifications.
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 07:23 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9571
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
I am fine with discord.
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 07:41 AM
Astinus in disguise

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26706
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Me too.