Other The Witcher - Last Call of the Night - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook facebook
0 3 7 0
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old Nov 4th, 2022, 08:23 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9571
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Might be a bit understanding the actual character creation, but here is a basic concept.

Application
right-aligned image

Arturius Koll - Human Mage
Character Concept: Arturius or Tur as his friends call him is a driven individual. He has grand designs to become the greatest mage who ever lived. He can come across stoic and uncaring at times but it could not be further from the truth, it is simply a product of the distrust many show him. He cares for others deeply, and those he calls friend are extremely important to him. He believes in helping those who are less fortunate than himself when able even if it means adding a few coins to his own purse. He knows he is gifted being able to wield magic, and while many mages think they are better than others he does not share this opinion.

Goals & Ambitions:
To increase his magical abilities and be recognized as the greatest mage of his time.
Find true friendship and companionship, perhaps even one day have a family of his own.
To help those in need especially those oppressed by others.

Fears & Flaws:
Arturius can come across as withdrawn and secretive to those he does not know well. A product of years of distrust shown towards him.
Arturius is driven, when it comes to Magic, and delves into it wholeheartedly almost to a singular focus.
Arturisu fears that due to his being a mage he may never find a person who will truly love him. He fears that he may never find a true partner.

Backstory: Arturius knows very little about his family except that they were poor folk. His magical aptitude manifested at a very early age. his parents uncertain what to do approached mage traveling through their small village about their son. The Mage agreed to meet the boy and upon doing so decided to take him to be trained at the Ban Ard Sorcerer's School. Arturius new life was one of strict structure when it came to studies, and was much different from his upbringing among his family. It suited him though and he dedicated himself fully to learning to use his abilities. From an early age filled with a desire to control his future.

As they years went by Arturius continued to excel in his studies, proving his mettle as a Mage. The years seemed to fly by for Arturius and before he knew it he had completed his twelve year curriculum and granted the title of fourth-degree master. It was a euphoric day for Arturius and he reveled in the acknowledgement of his years of hard work. After such a long time, he was finally free to leave the school, his first journey leading him to his prior home to seek out his family. Unfortunately upon arriving the village was little more than a few people who worked the land. There was no sign of his parents and no one could tell him anything of value.

Since that time Arturius has been traveling seeing the world and doing all he can to increase his knowledge and magical ability. Using his skills to earn enough coin to keep himself clothed and fed with a roof overhead as often as possible.

Posts: Eldon https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...47#post9575347
Ilyana https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...64#post9203464

Lifepath
Northern Redania Homeland
Father was killed due to the intense hatred of someone they encountered. Took his life.
Most Influential Friend An Entertainer Your greatest influence was an entertainer who taught you plenty about showmanship. Gear: A Playbill or Ticket
One sibling twin sister, Possessive of Me, Personality Immature.
Fortune Jackpot Some major event or stroke of luck brought you 1d10x100 crowns.
Ally Acquaintance, Male Teacher, Who saved me from a spell gone awry. He is currently in Empire of Nilfgaard.
Personality Contemplative, Long Loose hair, Arcane tattoos, Valued person his Mother, and values power, Feeling son people Neutral

Finally, as part of your application, I would like for you to answer the following questions:

1) Enjoyed the Witched Game and First Season on Netflix think it would be an interesting arean to play in.
2) I prefer long term games.
3) I have played Wild Hunt, and watched the first season on Netflix but not read the books.
4) Character interaction with the party and building relationships within the party and with NPC's. Characters should have a life outside of the adventuring aspect as well love interests and such like that.
5) Open to pretty much anything.

Defining Skill Magic Training
Vigor 5
Magical Perks 5 Novice Spells, 1 Ritual, 1 Hex
Skills: Human Perception, Spell Casting, Hex Weaving, Resist Magic, Staff/Spear, Education, Ritual Casting, Social Ettiquette, Seduction, Grooming & Style
Gear: Belt Pouch, Writing Kit, Dagger, Staff, 100 crowns of components
Warning: rolls have been deleted from this post.

Last edited by JaredSyn; Nov 4th, 2022 at 05:23 PM.
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 09:39 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2542
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Discord is cool with me too.

Arturius looks great 🙂
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 10:44 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Thanks! OK had an idea for my background but rolling lifepath is changing it drastically. Really going to affect my planned story. Do we need to roll or can we select items?

Last edited by JaredSyn; Nov 4th, 2022 at 11:17 AM.
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 01:17 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2972
Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray
Lifepath's are roll rather than selection. I would say as well please don't roll dice in this thread, I'll have the threads up for lifepath rolls over the weekend as soon as I get a spare minute to put them up .
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 01:25 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
OK that means i will most likely have to change his background and such post Lifepath rolls.
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 03:18 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray
Hey all, I had a spare few minutes so put up a couple of threads for Lifepath rolls here. Feel free to go ahead and make those rolls. Please also note that if you get a result that does not make much sense for your character I am ok with you substituting the roll for something else.
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 04:54 PM
Astinus in disguise

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26706
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Perfect, thank you!
Old Nov 5th, 2022, 01:45 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Hodork
So, I saw this ad the other day, before the lifepath roll threads were mentioned let alone up, and went off to come up with a character.
I've played a couple of short games with this system, and I prefer rolling a lifepath before writing a background - to a) got some inspiration to work with and 2) make sure the luck of the dice doesn't come up with something that reaaaally doesn't fit the pre-written backstory.

I did one with an online dice roller as inspiration to be adjusted by official rolls but ended up rather liking the results.
Can I keep 'em? I've got receipts in the form of screenshots of the dice results list.
If not, I'm of course willing to go back to the original plan and reroll everything in forum.
Old Nov 5th, 2022, 03:02 AM
Freelance Bum

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1485
TheOneTrueClone TheOneTrueClone TheOneTrueClone TheOneTrueClone TheOneTrueClone TheOneTrueClone TheOneTrueClone TheOneTrueClone TheOneTrueClone TheOneTrueClone
I, too, am posting the interest, but I need to look closer at the system before I make a final call on it. I'm cool with discord and all that.

Oath Taker
Old Nov 5th, 2022, 03:12 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quick question, how many points do we get for stats? I'm just starting to fiddle with mechanics Anywhere from average (60) to legends (80)
Old Nov 5th, 2022, 12:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodork View Post
I did one with an online dice roller as inspiration to be adjusted by official rolls but ended up rather liking the results.
Can I keep 'em? I've got receipts in the form of screenshots of the dice results list.
If not, I'm of course willing to go back to the original plan and reroll everything in forum.
I’d rather rolls be made in the forum link above.

@97mg we’re going with Heroes (75 points)
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 01:11 PM
Astinus in disguise

Tools
User Statistics
Pavil of Thurn
right-aligned image
Pavil of Thurn, a Mage
Character Concept:

Pavil of Thurn is everything one would expect in a Mage - clever, powerful, exotic and arrogant, as if some long forgotten elven bloodline or an accident of birth somehow meant that one individual was born better than the rest in a village so unimportant no one has heard of. For Pavil this is undeniably true. What one wouldn’t expect from such a man is his patriotic feelings for a region that had once been an independent kingdom of its own. In fact the best way to make him lose the self control he appears to value so greatly is to call him a Nilfgaardian.

Of moderate stature and reasonably good looks, Pavil is still considered extremely young for a Mage, only recently having celebrated his 43rd birthday. His mastery of Chaos has kept him devoid of wrinkles, his auburn hair as thick and lustrous as in his early twenties, or would have been had his journey across the northern kingdoms given him the opportunity to wash it regularly. His clothes are those of a man who was not born in a poor farmhouse surrounded by muddy fields, as he was, and Pavil is extremely fond of bright colors and eager to adopt the latest fashions as soon as his coin pouch reaches a weight that can support such frivolity.

Pavil can be a pleasant and interesting traveling companion, but he usually chooses not to. Life has treated him poorly and he likes to return the favor by complaining about all things that don’t suit him, which is pretty much everything. Until fate deals him a better hand, he sees no reason to cease his grumbling. After all, he has more reason to do so than most, at least that is what he believes.

Goals and Ambitions:

Pavil’s main goal is survival, a goal shared with the majority of people in both the North and the South, though his idea of “survival” might differ significantly from that of others. The man understands the concept as a life of leisure, earning the trust, respect and financial support of his betters, at least socially. Since most people would rather see a Mage hanged than invite him inside their home, he realizes that this might not be so easy to achieve as he once thought.

His second goal, which is every bit as improbable as his main one, if not more, is to see Nilfgaard driven back to the Empire’s heartland and the old kingdom of Maecht liberated. In his hatred of the Empire’s agents and army he is clearly the equal of the people of the Northern kingdoms and will do anything to see Emhyr var Emreis humiliated, other than openly fight against him in battle. The fact that he had once offered the Emperor his fealty and served him for several years is something he chooses to forget.

Even before learning that he had an affinity to manipulate Chaos, Pavil had been a very curious child, often asking questions most people would not even consider. His turbulent life made him realize that knowledge, not simply magical one, but all kinds of it, is the best weapon one can possess. Whether forgotten elven lore, books on arcane craft, political secrets or mere gossip about a woman cheating on her husband, the acquisition of knowledge is one of the very few things that actually make Pavil’s face lit up with excitement - with a taste of true luxury being another.

Fears and Flaws:

No matter how confident Pavil tries to appear, he knows very well Nilfgaard’s reach and is deathly afraid of it. The Emperor’s agents, spies and assassins have been infiltrating the North for many years and are always ready to carry out their master’s bidding. There is no way for Pavil to know the true loyalties of the people he meets, thus he is determined to trust no one. This is the only way to avoid a dagger in the back when he least expects it.

What is also worth noting is the Mage’s distrust of women in positions of power. Not only doesn’t he consider them inferior to men, he is convinced that women, especially Sorceresses, are more intelligent, colder and crueler than their male counterparts. Pavil has encountered many such figures and with but two notable exceptions has made enemies of them. Whenever a noblewoman, Sorceress or other powerful woman takes note of him, he knows that it is time to look for a way out and move on.

Finally, if Pavil has a weakness, it is the fact that he is deeply ashamed of his humble origins. Having been born the son of a “dirt digger”, he will go to great lengths to prove his refinement and imaginary pedigree. His appreciation of the arts and the finer things in life is also meant to distinguish him from the ordinary folk he often despises. He has almost convinced himself that his magical talent makes him the equivalent of high aristocracy. Almost.

Backstory:

Pavil would have gladly spoken about the many tragedies he has had to endure, had he not been afraid that spies and assassins could be masquerading for tavern patrons, innocent passers-by or even his traveling companions. Though he won’t speak about his past, he hasn’t forgotten a single event that has marked his life. Despite having been born a farmer’s son, something he will deny at all costs, his potential for magic marked him as special. There were rumors that his family possessed elven blood and the recent example of his grandfather, who had lost his mind having been unable to control his powers, served more as enticement rather than a cautionary tale. Learning to control the Chaos under the tutelage of Damianus the Sage, he believed himself ready to assume a position of power. It is doubtful whether he would have ever become much more than a village’s steward, even under the rule of the old kings of Maecht, but Pavil likes to think that he would have. It is after all easier to blame a foreign power for one’s failures or mistakes.

The Usurper’s conquest of Maecht changed Pavil’s life, making him an unwilling servant of the imperial crown. Though he swore to serve a new master in the face of Emhyr var Emreis, the moment Maecht and her allies declared their independence, the young Mage was quick to enlist to their cause. The sack of Thurn resulted in him losing his family, his village and his wife, along with any chance he might have had of a career in Nilfgaard. Being forced to leave the land of his birth, Pavil sought refuge in the North. To say that he was welcomed would be a gross lie. No one trusted a Mage, it seemed, and no one was willing to show them the respect they deserved. As it became clear that Nilfgaard would not be content for long to let the border stay as it was, Pavil traveled to Asheberg, hoping that he would remain outside the black ones’ influence. Whether the distance will prove sufficient or not remains to be seen.

I have included two of my most recent posts that are indicative of the way that I write. The first is from a Pathfinder 1e game where my character is an evil agent of Asmodeus masquerading as a dim peasant youth in an attempt to infiltrate a town and nearby fortress (found here) and the second from a DnD 5e game where I play a dwarven artisan about to embark upon a reconnaissance mission to find out more about a possible threat to his hometown, but has reasons to distrust the individual who has presented him with this task (found here).

Final Questions:

1) What interested you in applying to this game?

I really like the gritty realism and complex, non-idealized characters of “The Witcher” setting and have finally the time to give it a try. I am also very impressed by the quality of your DM posts in the game you are running (Mists of Akuma).

2) Are you happy to commit to a long-term play by post game and one that will likely continue after this first adventure?

Absolutely! I am all for long-term campaigns and character advancement over a great span of time.

3) How familiar are you with the Witcher franchise?

I am fairly familiar with the Witcher world, though by no means an expert. I have played the first and third PC/PS4 games and have watched both seasons of the Netflix series. Sadly I have read none of the books, even though I have heard that they are really good.

4) What sort of things do you look for in a Play by Post game?

From the players and the GM I am looking for friendly cooperation, honesty and consistency. High quality posts are also very important to me. From the setting I expect a certain realism (as much as this is possible in a world with magic and monsters) where the actions of PCs and NPCs have consequences, complex characters with real goals and motivations, great roleplaying, political intrigues, mysteries and the occasional combat scene.

5) Conversely is there anything you don’t want to see in a Play by Post game or any hard no’s in terms of content?

I have no taboos as long as an approach is made in a responsible, mature way that respects the difficult subject and those dealing with it. “The Witcher” setting is after all about making difficult decisions and dealing with tragedy.

Note please that the character sheet is a work in progress, otherwise the application should be good to go. I am very grateful to 97mg for providing such a great template. Thank you, it’s very much appreciated!

Last edited by Elanir; Nov 6th, 2022 at 07:13 PM.
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 06:07 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballingray View Post
@97mg we’re going with Heroes (75 points)
Awesome, thank you!
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 09:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Aside from 80 years of backstory (a chain of misfortunes and tragedy) to write out lol, I think the elven doctor is ready. She's very fragile... couldn't afford any armor (inflation and rising living costs in this world are a big problem ).

If anyone wants any help with mechanical stuff I'm happy to try to assist!

The mages are looking super-fun!
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 01:41 AM
Astinus in disguise

Tools
User Statistics
@Ballingray: Do we roll for crowns or do we take the average amount mentioned?