... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old Nov 18th, 2022, 02:11 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2972
Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray
In Hell: Memoriam

Game NameIn Hell: Memoriam
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeDark Survival Mystery with themes of corruption and redemption twisting through an apocalyptic narrative
FlavourDark and Gritty, D&D in Hell
Plot Summary
The Last Stand
left-aligned image
The warrior lay on his back, shield-arm outstretched in a futile attempt to ward off the inevitable. Beneath him, the jagged rocks of the ground off the dirt trail bit into his back. The chill wind was fierce, biting into his exposed face and arms. Blood poured from countless wounds across his face and body, pooling below him as it spread and his life seeped from him in crimson magnificence.

Overhead the moon shone high in the sky, bathing the world below in its silvery luminescence. It was breathtaking, and under any other circumstances would have been considered beautiful. But these were far from normal circumstances. This was a time of desperation, and a need that, although pure in its desire was seemingly destined to be unfulfilled.

The darkness of the night was pierced by dozens of hunchbacked shapes as they separated from the darkness as they scrabbled across the grassland and the dirt track towards the fallen warrior. Feral hisses filled the night, a terrible sound that was as primal as it was horrifying.

The warrior struggled back upwards, placing the hilt of his blade into the ground for balance as he used it to stand one last time. Despite his many wounds, and despite his fading strength, a grim smile etched its way across his rugged features as his eyes scanned the dark horizon, seeing the hordes of shapes as they came towards him as one. They were almost indistinguishable from each other, each hunchbacked shape blurring into the next. Holding his bloodstained sword out, he pointed them at the shadows and he laughed, a grim intonement and one for the reaper itself.

Truly, the end was here, and it was one he would face head on in the name of duty.

For this was who he was.

A shape flew out of the darkness, black and shadowy, with pale yellow eyes staring at him malevolently. The brave warrior met it head on, side-stepping the attack even as it came. Limping, clearly favouring his left leg, the warrior turned nevertheless, swinging his sword in response. Metal met skin and flesh gave way with a sickening tearing noise. A head fell, separated clean from the rest of its grey, spindly body as it bounced on the dirt ground. Yellow eyes stared at him balefully until, seconds later, the light faded and there was nothing left but a withered husk.

The heavens above parted, and rain started to fall. Lightning flashed in the sky, and in the second of bright light, he saw clearly the army of monsters as they came forwards.

He saw death come from him. His smile widened.

Another leapt for him, it’s claws extended, reaching for his throat. Stepping backwards, a flare of pain shot up the warriors body from the back of his knee. He felt the injury, a wound he had taken earlier open up, and a warm, sticky substance trailed down the back of his leg. Still, he could not let the pain distract him.

It’s claw sliced across his cheek, opening him up just beneath his left eye. Yet, despite the sudden onset of pain he focussed with everything he had left, bringing his deadly sword to bear. A slice cleaved the monster from sternum to crotch, and it slid from the edge of the blade, two disparate halves separating as it hit the ground, writhing and wriggling in a futile attempt to unite its broken and torn body.

Seconds later it moved no more.

The countless shapes facing him hesitated, for a second. Then, as one, they moved forwards.

His wounds troubling him, his strength almost gone, the warrior fell to one knee, beneath him a river of blood. Raising his face to the night sky, the warrior closed his eyes.

“If anyone can hear me, I beseech you. Save me. Save my city!”

And then, from nowhere, the sun appeared, banishing the darkness of the shadows and the night.

Seconds later, the screaming began.

Salvation
right-aligned image
It began in the year 1442, known as the Year of Darkenbeasts Risen, when the High Rider of Elturel was discovered to be a Vampire Lord. Little did anyone in Elturel realise though just how far and how deep the corruption ran within the city. The Vampire Lord commanded a vast network of vampire spawn, undead, charmed allies and other sycophantic minions interested in their own personal advancement and seeing the vampire as a means of obtaining power both diplomatic and personal.

The city was infested with hordes of the dead, and although the Hellriders fought valiantly, they could not stop the undead incursion. For whatever small gains they made with the day, the nighttime brought with it countless unspeakable horrors and the streets ran red with the blood of the fallen.

The Elturians prayed to their gods, but the gods would not listen. The undead were too powerful, and too deeply rooted in the city and the final fall of the city seemed to be only a matter of days away.

That is until Thavius Kreeg, High Priest of Torm, stood alone against the encroaching horde. He beseeched for a power to save the city, and this time his pleas were answered.

A second sun appeared in the sky over the High Hall of Elturel, and beneath its light the undead faltered. The Vampire Lord and his spawn were blasted to dust in mere seconds, and the remaining undead forces, confused and directionless, were routed by the surviving Hellriders.

Elturel had been saved, and above it all, Thavius Kreeg was hailed as the saviour of the city.

The Fall of Elturel
right-aligned image
Zariel had told the truth. For fifty years a second sun shone over the city of Elturel, directly over the High Hall. This sun came to be known as the Companion, for that is what it was. It was a companion to the people of Elturel, and a reminder that no darkness could ever come to root in the land again, not while they had their guardian angel to watch over them. And so Elturel became a land of unending daylight and, for a time, enjoyed a period of prosperity and peace they had never known before.

Thavius Kreeg himself was hailed as both a hero and a liberator, having faced the undead horde in his last stand and having triumphed over evil the way that only a person who was both holy and strong in his belief could. For it was believed that Thavius's bravery had inspired the gods to spare Elturel and send to them the second sun that was their salvation. Many came to see the holy land, as it was now known, to see the miracle of the second sun. Those too who sought refuge from the evil that was prevalent elsewhere in the Realms came here, looking for the sanctuary that the Companion brought them. Elturel grew both in stature and prosperity, and the people genuinely believed in this age of enlightenment that had been ushered in with Thavius's bravery.

Only Thavius himself knew the truth, and that he had traded the city from one evil to another, and this knowledge stayed with him for the next fifty years. For he knew that after this time, Zariel would come, and that he had effectively sold the souls of everyone inside the city to the archdevil. But by this point, the once holy warrior of Torm had fallen so so far that all he was concerned about was saving himself. Before the eve of the turning of the fiftieth year, Kreeg left Elturel, stealing away into the night, well aware of what was about to unfold.

Fifty years passed, and it was in the Year 1492, the Year of Three Ships Sailing, that the sun over Elturel turned black as night.

Crackling lightning descended from the dark sun, and it engulfed the entirety of the city. It arced through the streets of the city, killing all those whom it struck, turning them into burnt piles of ash where they once stood. Yet they were the lucky ones. It was those who survived who suffered a worse fate still as the orb of darkness hanging over the city drew all of it, buildings, stone and screaming civilians alike into the Nine Hells. Elturel was ripped from Faerun, only leaving behind a smoking crater where the once great city had stood.

Elturel was pulled into Avernus, the First Layer of Hell, at the behest of its ruler, the fallen angel Zariel. Appearing over the River Styx, black chains of obsidian sprung from the ground, attaching themselves to the chunk of rock that had been ripped from Faerun. Innumerable devils began to swarm up the chains to attack the fallen city as the chains attempted to pull it into the fetid waters of the River Styx. Overhead the Companion continued to shine its baleful light over the dying city, flinging lightning into the city itself.

And that would have been the end for Elturel, had it not been for an army of demons that attacked the flank of the devils as they attempted to overwhelm the city. Fallen to infighting from the Blood War, the demons and devils fought each other, and the dying city of Elturel served as the grim backdrop for this hateful conflict.

This is where Elturel stands today, chained to the blasted landscape of Avernus, teetered precariously on the very edge of oblivion itself. There are scant few survivors in the city, and those that are still alive work tirelessly not only to keep themselves alive, but to halt the obsidian chains as they inexorably draw the city itself into the River Styx. The demons and the devils fight, and the streets of the city run red with blood. They cannot stand for much longer, and the city itself will inevitably die.

You awaken inside the fallen city. Around you there is nothing but chaos. Buildings fall around you, and there are explosions of flame coming from every which way. In the sky overhead, a strange black sun casts its dark light down on the crumbling city. Hunchbacked, twisted shadows dart from nook to crevice, and the sound of screaming fills the air, only to be cut off suddenly.

The first question you ask:- where are you? But even this one is perhaps not as pressing as the second one that immediately flashes to the fore of your conscience:- what happened?

And that is the crux of the matter, because there is one thing you are certain of.

You died.

You can recall the moment of your death with startling clarity, almost as if it had just happened, however there are dark spaces, holes in your memory that hide some terrible truth from you. Something happened, you are sure of it, but what that thing was and just how you came to be here is lost to you. All you know is that you have to move, before the city itself crumbles around you and all is lost.....

About the GameWelcome one, welcome all. The first thing you're probably going to ask here is "is this Descent to Avernus?" The answer to that question is both yes, and no. I will be taking elements of the Descent to Avernus module and applying it to this game, but ultimately no, this is not intended to be a one to one re-telling of Descent to Avernus. For a start, you will be beginning in Avernus itself as you wake up inside the fallen city of Elturel as everything quite literally goes to hell around you.

Your characters themselves all died prior to the start of the game, this may have been while they were within Elturel as it was brought into Avernus, or the place and cause of their deaths may have been completely separate. The events that led you to be here in Elturel and the reason for your supposed resurrections are a mystery that will tie into the overall arc of the game.

In terms of tone, whilst being respectful and mindful of the site's PG-13 ruling, expect this to be a dark and mature game in tone. There are some pretty unpleasant things going on, and as you traverse Avernus in search for a way to free Elturel from its predicament and, hopefully, your own, expect to see some pretty dark and disturbing things going on. Please, let me know in advance if there are any trigger topics or things that are a hard no from you in terms of content for a game.

That all said, I am a storyteller by heart and by nature, the more interesting and nuanced a character you can give me, and if you are an avid roleplayer who loves in-party interactions I would love to hear from you.

This game will be LGBTQ friendly.

Alignment and MoralityThis game will touch on topics such as the nature of corruption, whether it is possible to redeem the most corrupt of souls, and conversely whether the purest of heart can be corrupted. For that reason, and for reasons that I will touch on in the application section itself, I am removing alignments altogether. For this game, the idea of a binary good/evil, law/chaos axis is not one that sits well within the framework of this game. In terms of the PC's and NPC's encountered in the game, I am not looking at this in terms of absolutes. Each character and personality will be more nuanced than that, and alignment in the world is to be presented in shades of grey rather than black or white.

Your characters will have all done some pretty questionable things in the past, but equally you have done and are capable of acts of purity and goodness as well. Just where in this complicated and convoluted world you sit in will be entirely down to you, however, one thing I need to stress here is that I do not want murder-hobo's who are quite happy to stab and betray their fellow PC's in the back applying. You are working as a team and whilst I appreciate that there may be disagreements between PC's, that's all natural and expected, I dont want to see characters who would be willing to abandon/kill/sell their companions to the first devil they come across. This will be a mature game and I want to see mature players willing and happy to tell a story applying to this.

About the DMA little bit about myself. I am a long time player of D&D who has been playing for the last thirty years, going back to the days of AD&D and the crazy times of 2nd Edition when there were dozens of campaign settings and dozens of books being released each and every month. I have been away from RPGX for quite a while, coming back a few months ago to start my other game, Mists of Akuma which is going reasonably well at the moment. I did recently attempt to start up a Witcher game but couldn't go through with it, predominantly because I was pretty overwhelmed trying to start up a new game with a ruleset which I was quite unfamiliar with, and ultimately it was a step too far for me so I'm returning back to the area that I'm most familiar and comfortable with to try again.

I love to write in all honesty, its one of the things that keeps me going and I absolutely love deep and emotional plots. I am hoping some of that shines through here with the game that I am trying to present. I'd love for fellow writers and storytellers with an equal amount of love for role-playing and interactions to join me on this tale, and as with Mists of Akuma, this is something that I am 100% committed to getting write and seeing through to its completion. Although I've always had a preference for DM'ing over playing, this will likely be the last game I advertise here, mainly because I think over the years I've gathered a good sense of self in terms of what I am capable of running. Two games is my sweet spot and I would love nothing more than to see this through to the end and hopefully will be joined by equally dedicated players.

The Application Process & Character Generation DetailsI would like to see applications presented in the following format:-

Name:
Race:
Class:
Personality Traits:
Bond:
Ideal:
Flaw:
Appearance:
Personality:
Background: See below notes
RP Sample: See below notes

I will require some specific things to be built into your background. In your past, your character will have done some noteworthy act of heroism that I would like you to incorporate. Equally, and on the flip side of the coin, your character has also committed some sin or otherwise morally dubious act that they are ashamed of. Both of these acts should be something significant, and in the case of the morally dubious act I would prefer you to secret this to me.

Your RP Sample should deal with your characters last moments before they died. Tell me what happened, what they were feeling in terms of emotions. Did they have any regrets?

In secret text to me, provide me with two secrets for your character. The first should be something that they know, the second should be something that they do not know.

Lastly, I would like to know about you as a player. Could you answer me the following:-

1) What interested you in applying to this game?
2) Are you happy to commit to a long-term play by post game?
3) How familiar are you with the Descent to Avernus module? Have you ever played it before?
4) What sort of things do you look for in a Play by Post game?
5) Conversely is there anything you don’t want to see in a Play by Post game or any hard no’s in terms of content?

Starting Level: 5
Ability Generation: 27pt buy OR dice. However if you choose dice then you stick with the rolls as given, no rerolling 1's or 2's.
Starting Wealth & Equipment: As per Class and Background. No starting gold, however you may take one uncommon magical item into Avernus with you.
Starting Hit Points: Max at 1st level, either roll or take class average for remaining levels, no rerolling 1's or 2's.
Acceptable Sources: PHB, DMG, Tasha's, Monsters of the Multiverse (minus Giff / Firearms, sorry!), Xanathar's, SCAG
Posting Rate: 2x/week
Closing Date: Friday 16th December

Last edited by Ballingray; Nov 24th, 2022 at 07:29 AM.
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 02:21 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray
CharacterPlayerRaceClassStatus
Vega ArvixKnightfallCustomFighter (Rune Knight)Complete
Allister WickettsAlemarHalf-OrcFighter 1 / Warlock (Hexblade) 4Complete
ZoronSeekr34Shadar-KaiRanger (Gloom Stalker)Complete
Eshe HayatBoogiemanHumanCleric (War) 2 / Monk (Way of Long Death) 3Complete
Jaspex CrowneHumble AthenaTieflingRogueIn-Progress
ThipindroldelpinatorDragonbornFighter (Rune Knight)In-Progress
Sabine de'MourneYsoldeHumanWizard (Artificer)Complete
Flix SulfurSandpsuedenimFairyCelestial WarlockIn-Progress
Calen Rotaleon Eru-DalistaTalissen70AasimarCelestial WarlockComplete
Erith MalakeighDyerdonTieflingPaladin (Redemption)Complete
Eron of the Twilight OrderDukklordElfCleric (Twilight)In-Progress
Xaura DaelazarJaredSynCustom (Feyborn)Warlock (Hexblade) 1 / Bard (College of Swords) 4Complete
Ophelia MarbleheartArcZeroDeep GnomeWizard (Necromancer)Complete
Togot FuryTogotHumanFighter (Battlemaster)Complete
Gabrian Arnkan YondalicPig ManHalf-ElfWizard (Necromancer)In-Progress

Last edited by Ballingray; Nov 23rd, 2022 at 12:56 PM.
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 03:54 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1797
Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren
A question. If we want to play a Cleric would they still be able to get spells from their God? Or since we had to have committed some sin that possibly sent us to Hell would they be forsaken by whatever divinity they followed before? I've never played Descent to Avernus but this reminds me a bit of a pick a path type adventure book I did play once that involved a fallen Paladin trying to save the world from Orcus.

Beware: Gamers at play. Not responsible for any damages inflicted by wandering monsters, random encounters or my over active imagination!
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 04:01 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
You will still get access to spells from your deity.
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 04:08 PM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2512
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
How many players are you intending to have ?
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 04:20 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Between 4-6 players.
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 05:35 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1607
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
Interested - so reserving a spot

Psuds App - WIP
right-aligned image

Name: Flix SulfurSand
Race: Fairy
Class: Celestial Warlock
Personality Traits:
Interfering do-gooder with an unusual (or unhealthy) interest in bad stuff (Abyssologist perhaps?)
Bond:
I sold my soul for knowledge. I hope to do great deeds and win it back.
My life's work is a series of tomes related to a specific field of lore.
Ideal:
The path to power and self-improvement is through knowledge.
Flaw:
Nosey - likes to be in anyone's and everyone's and anythings business
Children - strong compulsion to help children in need
Appearance:
Stylish but understated darkly dressed fairy (struggling to find a pic that isn't Marilyn Manson with wings or peterpan or romance novel)
Personality:
Enthusiastic and friendly and thinks they have a good sense of humour.
Can be oblivious to the feelings of others especially if it interferes with his own goals.
Pretty nosey and is drawn to gossip and rumour like a moth to flame and tends to over share this info when a few too many drinks have been had.
Despite these minor flaws he is generous and helpful where he can be and sort of sympathetic when he can't be.

I will require some specific things to be built into your background. In your past, your character will have done some noteworthy act of heroism that I would like you to incorporate. Equally, and on the flip side of the coin, your character has also committed some sin or otherwise morally dubious act that they are ashamed of. Both of these acts should be something significant, and in the case of the morally dubious act I would prefer you to secret this to me.

Background:
Flix was brought up on the edge of the Fey and was familiar with the Material plane and the shenanigans that occurred between the two. Always curious in the games the elder Fey played he would try and watch and learn from secret and on one of these occasions was when he first saw his first Devil - some pact to trick a Human or some such - but the sight of it was enough to capture the Fairy's curiosity and off down a dangerous path of knowledge he went.

This curiosity led through many a library, most by fair means some not, some collections public but most not and in one failed endeavour he found himself given a choice by the keeper of the parchment Flix tried to hide behind his back. "Potential and curiosity, hmmm... I can't overlook the obvious theft, and yes I can see it behind your back, but I offer you two choices to pay for your crime" Well the choices are obvious and the one Flix took didn't seem like any kind of punishment, to start with at least. He would be supported and encouraged in his studies and acquisitions and where it aligned with other needs of his new mentor he would take on those duties too. Not too bad thought Flix and the last part was even more enticing as his mentor told him about a great Library on the coast but he would need two very rare books, one for Flix's questions and one for a question his mentor would provide at the time.

Most of the time Flix was looking for known but rare books but sometimes it came with trouble and thats when he realised the extra cost to his punishments. Still his mentor and the faction he worked for were good to him and he was good at the job, he even got a sniff of even rarer tomes and it was one of those sniffs that led to his mentor sending him to Elturel.

Your RP Sample should deal with your characters last moments before they died. Tell me what happened, what they were feeling in terms of emotions. Did they have any regrets?

RP Sample:
Flix had only been in the city for a week now and the reek of undeath felt like a constant itch at his senses. How the inhabitants had got used to this, and accepted this, was annoying but unsurprising as Flix had seen similar infiltration techniques from studying his pet subjects. This brought him back to his thoughts on why he had even been sent here, his studies focused on Devils and Demons and this place showed no signs of their malign hands. Obviously this place was run by malign hands but the undead were interested in a different kind of harvest and all of his snooping had not brought up any signs of devilish intrigue or demonic binding. It was possible the upper echelons were making use of them as sources of power but nothing obvious and Flix was reaching the limits of his investigation.

The locals were all scared and difficult to question never mind recruit, and the ones open to his approaches were drunks, untrustworthy or possibly spies on the other side. In fact his only decent success had been with the beggar children, a known bias of Flix's that he was well aware but it worked more often than not. Elturel's forgotten children were quick to take advantage of Flix's generosity especially as they didn't exhibit the usual habit of disappearing after meeting with him and their desperation slowly became a small trust and Flix was hoping to leverage this into contact with more of the underworld here - the criminal underworld.

Things were still going slowly and after leaving his last meeting with a child he still had no new leads but his usual walk of misdirection through the slums revealed new trouble. He was being followed and this person was good and going from looking for leads to being one was bad, for Flix. He was torn between acting like a regular citizen or putting more effort into losing his tail but that moment had passed and he noticed another tail - looks like it was time for Flix to leave, reporting mission failure always seems better than living failure and Flix wasn't sure dying here would be a final act either.

He put more effort into losing his tails and during this unhurried looking dash through the streets he spotted a child up ahead that gave him the sign to meet. He cut through an alley, flitted over a few walls and looped back heading towards their usual meeting place. He wasn't sure anymore if he was being followed but this would be his last stop before heading for the city walls. He had left nothing of worth in his room and he could at least leave his last coins to his helpers Leave on good terms you never know when you might need to use them again. He felt bad about using the children but the words of his mentor had been good guidance before and he had helped these children a little - that was the best his conscience would get in this city.

He reached the door down into the cellar where he met some of the beggars and new instantly that something was wrong as the door was slightly ajar and no one left a door like that in this city. He readied his gifts and slowly entered the cellar, the stairs wound round twice making it impossible to see properly and moving as quietly as possible he turned the last corner. Flix's heart rate jumped into overdrive as did his fear and anger, there were more children here than usual and one of them held by the neck by a darkly dressed person. The children gave away Flix's presence and he blasted the person, his anger took over and he rushed in with his daggers a flurry of blows ending it quickly. He checked his daggers, no blood, it seems the undead were a step ahead of Flix and he had to leave immediately.

The door above slammed open just as he was about to tell the children to get out and disappear, they picked up on his urgency and made for their other exit but they would not get out in time before whoever was upstairs reached them. Flix took a deep breath The center of the storm is always calm, where do you want to be in the storm?, more words from his mentor to help him direct his anger and fear. He was going to buy the children time to escape instead of using them to cover his - foolish, brave, desparate. He took position at the bottom of the stairs and blasted the next thing to come around the corner, it was obvious there was more than one and he was at a disadvantage in size and position. The stairs were all wood and possibly filled with undead and Flix thought he might be small enough to use their escape route. He was wrong about that but it didn't matter because as he brought up a bonfire to set the stairs ablaze a blast brought him to his knees searing his entire left side. He fell to the floor the agony of death eating at his body and as he watched he saw the last child escape as the stairs collapsed in a giant gout of flame which hungrily leapt through the next floor of the building.

Flix couldn't decide if the blast or the fire was more painful, one had not cancelled out the other but he couldn't resist smiling as he saw bodies in the pile of the stairs and the irony of his own death. He never got to see the second sun, possibly the real reason for his presence in this city and he never had time to wonder about how they had identified the children helping him. The insides of the building crashed down and everyone left in that cellar knew no more.

In secret text to me, provide me with two secrets for your character. The first should be something that they know, the second should be something that they do not know.

Lastly, I would like to know about you as a player. Could you answer me the following:-

a) Starting out in RPG it was all about the hero, Black and White, Good and Evil. I'm older and wiser (allegedly) and those shades of grey are much more interesting, and it seems like it's more fun the closer you get to the shadows.
b) I love fantasy but fighting through hell is not something I've read or watched much of so why not play it myself
c) Redemption arcs are fun but perhaps there's opportunity for slipping onto a darker path...

a) This place is the only way I get to reliably play RPG's so yes!

3) How familiar are you with the Descent to Avernus module? Have you ever played it before?
a) Only heard of it.

Engagement - a nebulous concept that I'm still exploring here but including inter-character posts (adversarial is fine as it adds colour) and players pushing the story (i.e. riffing off each other's posts) as much as the DM. I'm dabbling in Ironsworn as well as some other systems and that's flavouring my ideas of role playing. Basically back to those greys - winning could be just as bad as losing.

5) Conversely is there anything you don’t want to see in a Play by Post game or any hard no’s in terms of content?
Nope - still looking for my limits, happy with the sites limits. I dont like excessive gore but as this isnt a movie I should be fine.

Last edited by psuedenim; Nov 24th, 2022 at 05:39 PM.
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 05:40 PM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2512
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
App - WIPName:
Race:
Class:
Personality Traits:
Bond:
Ideal:
Flaw:
Appearance:
Personality:
Background: See below notes
RP Sample: See below notes
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 05:55 PM
Hunter of the Wumpus

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 596
Knightfall Knightfall Knightfall Knightfall Knightfall Knightfall
Vega ArvixName: Vega Arvix
right-aligned image

Race: Custom Lineage - Heck if she knows what she is
Class: Fighter (Rune Knight)
Background: Gladiator/Pit Fighter (Entertainer)
Personality Traits:
1) Brutality doesn't even begin to cover it. I'm here to win. Though I'm not cruel and sadistic, I'm certainly not merciful.
2) Nothing, NOTHING pumps me up like the thrill of a good fight.
Bond: I was sold into slavery and paraded in bloodsport for entertainment. I would do ANYTHING to get my freedom and bludgeon those ba... You get it.
Ideal: Slavery is the worst part of humanity (and non-humans... whatever). No one should own another. I have a certain rage in my soul for slavers.
Flaw: I have.... A bit of a temper...
Appearance: Fire red hair, lean build, green eyes. I'm lithe and dangerous. I have the looks to charm people, but I just don't know how to do that "charm" stuff. I'd rather just punch them.
Personality: Vega is a gentle soul that was twisted, tortured, honed, and weaponized by slave trade and bloodsport. Deep inside she is a kind and fiercely principled person. Unfortunately, life has taught her the hard way, that principles and kindness are a luxury, and one that may get you killed in the Pit. She loves having fun, laughing, and she's fiercely loyal. But her true love in life is battle. She never shrinks from going toe-to-toe with anyone, and when she has the opportunity to fight for something she believes in... She becomes possessed. Rage, passion, excitement, all of it mixed together. She laughs as she bleeds, literally and figuratively.

Backstory:

RP Sample:

Secrets!

1) What interested you in applying to this game?:

1) I'm a storyteller too, and I love playing for storyteller DMs. The mechanics are fine, sure, but what I love is the RP.
2) I've never played Avernus, but the nuances of the setting and atmosphere feel simultaneously unique and nostalgic.
3) I started planning my character and then got really excited about her. I build characters a lot, just for fun sometimes. But every now and then I get one that just sticks with me. Vega is one of them.

2) Are you happy to commit to a long-term play by post game?: Absolutely

3) How familiar are you with the Descent to Avernus module? Have you ever played it before?: Familiar with it loosely, never played it.

4) What sort of things do you look for in a Play by Post game?: Immersion, Roleplaying, and fun people who just want to write the stories of the people involved. It's not about "winning" for me, it's about PC development and collective story building.

5) Conversely is there anything you don’t want to see in a Play by Post game or any hard no’s in terms of content?: I like to avoid just long slogs of dice rolling and mechanics. It's unavoidable sometimes, but I don't play PBP for the mechanics. No hard no's for me though.

Last edited by Knightfall; Nov 20th, 2022 at 10:23 PM.
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 06:09 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9121
Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar Alemar
Application
left-aligned image

Name: Allister Wicketts
Race: Half-Orc
Class: Fighter (1) Hexblade - Pact of the Blade (4)

Ear to the Ground FeatureUrban Bounty Hunter (SCAG)
Trait #1
Since my death, I am not comfortable eating or drinking around others
Trait #2
I finish the job... No. Matter. What.
Bond
I sold my soul for hidden knowledge, I aim to misbehave win it back
Ideal
I'm only in it for money and fame
Flaw
I am convinced nobody could hunt me the way I can hunt others

Appearance: A strong jaw, and short cropped hair... A mercenary's appearance by all accounts, and that suits Allister just fine. He keeps what little hair he does have out of his eyes by slicking it back with a mixture of pig fat and a few added herbs for scent. A sturdy build thanks to his Orcish heritage means that only those foolhardy (or desperate) enough need seek out his attentions. He wears a decent set of traveler's gear, finer than what the peasants might, but not gaudy to bring attention to himself. Indeed, blending in as just another man on the road is exactly what Allister hopes to achieve.

Personality: Surprisingly jovial considering most people loathe Bounty Hunters, and Half-Orcs for that matter, Allister has learned that a friendly word and a few sovereigns in the right hands can open any doors he needs. While he loves having friends around, he is deadly serious when it comes time to work, and he prides himself on always getting the job done.

BackgroundHe had been on the trail for weeks, Kidnapping was a serious offense, and Allister took it as such. Bandits had ransacked a merchant's shop, and not satisfied with the various trinkets and baubles they had found, decided to abscond with the proprietor's young son as well. Hoping that ransom might fetch a prettier penny than whatever odds and ends they had managed in their robbery. Drawing his blade as he quietly crept up to the mouth of a cave, the Half-Orc heard the distant sounds of celebration. At least half a dozen different voices, all celebrating their score. Smiling with grim satisfaction, he nodded to himself. 'This looks like the place, six to one... why is it never easy? '

Slipping inside, the lookout didn't even know he was there before his blade pierced his throat. And as the shadows danced and flickered from the small fires on the cave's walls, so to did Allister slink from body to body. Felling them each in turn before he came upon the slumbering babe, and it's last two captors. They had refused to return with the child to face judgement, and drawn steel in an attempt to end Allister for good. But this Bounty Hunter was not about to go back to his patron empty handed... When he returned later that night, swaddled child in hand, he was praised as a hero by the merchant, and several of the shopkeepers all opened their stores to his whims. Freeing this child was going to be his most famous contract for sure!

RP Sample'It had been a good day...' Allister thought to himself as he sat at his usual table by the fire. He hadn't had much trouble finding his mark, some spoilt nobleman's daughter who had fallen in lust with the wrong type of boy. And just like all the others, she'd run off to be with him against her Father's wishes. "To hell with her Familial duties, and the considerable buying power that they brought with them, eh? " Allister mumbled, chuckling to himself as he juggled the hefty coin purse in his hand. His meal arrived just as he was beginning to wonder what was taking the cook so long; and he took a large chunk out of the chicken leg, smacking his lips with appreciation as the grease rolled down his chin. A few seconds later, and a strange burning was on his tongue, radiating down his throat and spreading out across his chest. He fell forward into his plate, the strong, spicy, smell of whatever it was, pressed itself deeply into his nostrils, and burned itself into his consciousness. He knew this smell, and it was going to be the last sensation he would ever feel on Faerun.

Q&A1) What interested you in applying to this game? I've been wanting to try a new 5e game and this one sounded kind of similar to Dante's Inferno, which I thought was a cool idea... Being in Hell and trying to fight your way out before it's too late.
2) Are you happy to commit to a long-term play by post game? Yes, as long as the pace is consistent I am very committed
3) How familiar are you with the Descent to Avernus module? Have you ever played it before? Not at all / No I've never played it before
4) What sort of things do you look for in a Play by Post game? Consistency. I like to be able to know if something is ruled a certain way, it will remain that way. I like to know if we're supposed to get an update on Wednesday I wont be waiting around until Saturday wondering what happened to everyone...
5) Conversely is there anything you don’t want to see in a Play by Post game or any hard no’s in terms of content? Almost nothing is off limits to me by way of content

Last edited by Alemar; Nov 19th, 2022 at 08:52 PM. Reason: grammar fixes
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 07:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5473
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Name: Zoron
Race: Shadar-Kai
Class: Ranger - Gloom Stalker
Background: Far Traveler
Personality Traits: I have a strong code of honor or sense of propriety that others don't comprehend.
Bond: I'm far from home, and everything is strange and wonderful.
Ideal: I'm fascinated by the beauty and wonder of this new land.
Flaw: I have a weakness for the exotic beauty of the people of these lands.
Appearance: Average height, slender and athletic build. Shoulder length dark hair and dark eyes that lack any clear pupil and his skin is a dusky gray, unlike any typical elf seen across the lands. His body seem to be part of the shadows. With a bow at his back and sword at each hip, he seems to be able to take care of himself.
right-aligned image

Personality: Friendly towards others, but he either seems to stand out or is unnoticeable. He’s uncomfortable in towns and cities, feeling out of place, but out in the open country, he feels at peace. He even feels at ease in the underdark, although a dangerous place, it reminds him of home in a way. Once he gains someone’s trust, he’s a friend for life.

Backstory: : For 90 years, Zoron lived his daily life as his own kind. There was no ambition, no desire, just going through their routine in despair, for their world was always gray and doing service for the Raven Queen when called upon. They avoided another city that belonged to their kind, they were from Netheril and they were all about power.

Some of their people would escape either by entering the Feywild or the Material plane, although most would enter the Material plane as the Plane of the Feywild created a bit of problem between the two. One day, Zoron’s uncle who had been gone for years and had returned from the Material plane to visit his family. He offered some to go back with him, including Zoron. Family was here so they would stay, but Zoron went with him.

Wen first arrived at the Material Plane, Zoron was amazed at its wonders. Everything was bright, darkness came during the night, but then the sun was back the next day. Everything was different as his uncle showed him the lands. After a few weeks of traveling across the lands, he was taken to a city. His kind were a natural for the profession of rogues.

Zoron declined, he was more interested in in the open lands and the forests. Leaving his uncle, he set out and became a ranger. Like most Shadar-Kai, he had looked wizened and ghostly, a being without hope, however, as years went by, he became young looking as other elves, looking more robust, for here, he had hope. He was even starting to become well known, and people had referred him as The Gray Elf.

He had helped a village of Halflings staff off a band of Kobolds and one time came across an slave auction and saw a dryad laying in a cell, unmoving. People did not know wat was wrong with her or what was ailing her, but Zoron knew, she was dying, she was too far from her tree. Night came and he freed her and managed to get enough out of her to find her tree. He barely made it in time, setting her against her tree. For the longest time as he watched, he thought he didn’t make it in time, but after about three hours, she aroused and sat up. After a few moments, she smiled at him and turned and entered her tree. Zoron stuck around until the next morning, when he was eating breakfast, she came out of the tree, looking very young, beautiful, and strong. She thanked him that morning.

While he did goods like that and even lead a small wagon train across forest and plains, he did have his bad moments. Normally he keeps to himself, interfering only when the situation calls for it.

RP Sample:

Secrets:

1) What interested you in applying to this game? It's different and looks interesting
2) Are you happy to commit to a long-term play by post game? Yes
3) How familiar are you with the Descent to Avernus module? Have you ever played it before? None and no
4) What sort of things do you look for in a Play by Post game? Fun and friendship
5) Conversely is there anything you don’t want to see in a Play by Post game or any hard no’s in terms of content? Nothing I can think of at the moment.

Last edited by Seekr34; Nov 20th, 2022 at 09:58 PM.
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 08:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5473
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
DM, I know you didn't have the Sword Coast Adventure Guide listed, but was wondering if I can use a background out of it, it seems to fit my character the best.
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 11:48 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekr34 View Post
DM, I know you didn't have the Sword Coast Adventure Guide listed, but was wondering if I can use a background out of it, it seems to fit my character the best.
Oops, I actually meant to list it. Yes, SCAG is fine, Iíll add it to the post.
Old Nov 19th, 2022, 12:26 AM
Funk Around and Find Out

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1807
Boogieman Boogieman Boogieman Boogieman Boogieman Boogieman Boogieman Boogieman Boogieman Boogieman Boogieman
The Application Process & Character Generation Details
left-aligned image
Art by Terra Terrific
Name: Eshe Hayat

Race: Human

Class: Cleric 2 (War Domain)/Monk 3 (Way of Long Death)

Personality Traits: I always have a plan for when things go wrong.

Bond: Should my discoveries come to light, they could bring ruin to the world.

Ideal: Everything has its proper place. Sometimes those things need a little nudge.

Flaw: I have a habit of thinking about others as pieces more than people.

Appearance: Eshe's soft and sovereign features insinuate a subdued expression, but the space behind her raw umber eyes never stops moving. Only the slightest tips of Crow's Feet - perched precariously when she looks askance - indicate an age escaped from the insulated trappings of uncurdled youth. Fuligin-brown hair falls practically around her face in a slyly stylish cut. The frame of wavy strands highlights the blossom-pink patches of vitiligo across her face. These same puddles of color mottles the deep sorrel skin stretched across her faux-thin frame. She holds a studious mien, though her motions are martial in their exactitude and precision. There is little of grace in her movements; her purposeful pace stirs a confidence that she feels as much as she thinks she should. She regards the world with a back so straight one would reckon a sword was sheathed in her spine.

No longer adorned in warrior's armor and attire, Eshe wardrobe stores baroque blouses and tailored trousers, flared back coats and broaches fitting the motif of antiques. She dresses the part of a high-scale academic, perhaps a doctor in residence of the courts. Most notably, not a single sliver of red thread seems to find its way into what she wears...

Personality: Eshe is often regarded as warm. Sometimes simply luke. Her quasi-militant mannerism meshes surprisingly well with her amicability. She seems to be difficult to offend, which may be off-putting. It's not simply a lack of aloofness, as much as it it a lack of investment. There is, however, one singular insult that can bring out a temper hot enough to melt the scales off a drake.
While a woman of routine, Eshe is not averse to improvisation. One will find she is clever in the least funny sense of the word. It seems less of an ability to adapt as opposed to an innate reaction to taking control of her situation. It is never assumptive, though she does push for the best "strategy" in all things, and is quick to acquiesce to effective tactics while only taking a brief moment to ponder the price of the plan. Yet since this particular line of thinking has led to her recent demise, who knows how Eshe will consider future schemes and subterfuges put forth.

Background:

Eshe belonged to a nomadic order of monastic templars known as Alter Aeternum. As a sect of Red Knight devotees, they traveled between kingdoms on the cusp of war and offered their strategy and services to the ruling parties. Sometimes they were mistaken as mercenaries, but such an analogy was insulting. Mercenaries could be bribed. Mercenaries fought out of service to their purse, not a higher power.

The Alter Aeternum did not travel randomly. Their destinations were dictated by their Crimson Seer. It was more than coincidence that they ended up in kingdoms on the verge of defeat, or were found to be whispering in the ears of victors. On the field they were even more coincidentally advantageous, eschewing groups of sell-swords on their field to find their own ways through battle.

Eshe never found herself to be extraordinary. Merely adequate. Both of her mothers were commanders, so much was expected of her. Her faith in the Grand Stratagem carried her through her duties; what she didn't have in talent, she made up for in faith.

At the childish age of 17, Eshe fought her third battle of the year. It was waned, and in a rare moment of circumstance the Alter Aeternum Followers of the Red Knight are not so quaint as to believe victory and defeat are determined battle by battlelost that day. Her unrealized knack for survival brought her the attention of the Seer. She was talented, they told her. The Red Knight had a grander purpose for her, they said.

Eshe took to this purpose with the enthusiasm expected of a lifelong devotee. The weight of responsibility tried to crush her, and it nearly did. After a decade of front-line service, Eshe was stationed in the sleepy town of Sopat. She and her partner, Kaitenai, built their lives as sleeper agents, standing by for when the Knight needed to make their moves.

Moves were made, albeit small ones, imperceptible to the few involved in their daily life. Start a temple, teach the children. For six years she waited, teaching anatomy and history. She had a garden and pet rats and "friends". Real ones. While Kaitenai resigned themselves to their life as a potter, Eshe was almost taken into the fantasy that she could be like everyone else. See the world outside of a map and a dragonchess board.

But on her 32nd birthday she was activated. Her mission was, by far, the most simple thing she'd ever been commanded to do.

She refused.

You did. You're a great writer, and I'd love to experience how you DM. Also, the setting seems fun.

I am. If I did get into this game, I'd be tapped out for applying anywhere else. Three games at the 2x weekly rate is plenty between my school, passions, and family.
EDIT: In the spirit of transparency, I am considering another game application, but only because the outlooks of other games I currently am in are in a state of stasis, but I'm very, very committed.

Not even a little familiar. Unless you count playing Baldur's Gate nearly 10 years ago.

Involved storytelling, character development and interaction, and interesting opportunities to utilize game mechanics in and out of combat situations.

Fourth-wall breaking jokes; though even then if they happened, not sure I'd remember that I cared.

Starting Level: 5
Ability Generation: 27pt buy OR dice. However if you choose dice then you stick with the rolls as given, no rerolling 1's or 2's.
Starting Wealth & Equipment: As per Class and Background. No starting gold, however you may take one uncommon magical item into Avernus with you.
Starting Hit Points: Max at 1st level, either roll or take class average for remaining levels, no rerolling 1's or 2's.
Acceptable Sources: PHB, DMG, Tasha's, Monsters of the Multiverse, Xanathar's, SCAG
Posting Rate: 2x/week

Last edited by Boogieman; Nov 27th, 2022 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Finito sans typos
Old Nov 19th, 2022, 12:28 AM
The Midnight Fairy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35375
Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena
Interest
WIP
Name: Jaspex Crowne. Aliases: Jamison, Janelle.
Race: Tiefling
Class: Rogue
Personality Traits:
Bond:

Ideal: Money is what makes the world go 'round, but beauty makes it worth the trip.

Flaw: So very petty, and so very proud of it. One time a nobleman offended me, so I found out where he lived and snuck in to liberally douse his breakfast with laxatives on the morning of a Very Important social event. Why didn't I kill him? More fun this way. Plus, if he lives, eventually he'll annoy someone enough to pay for his head. A smart assassin doesn't kill for free.

Worships: Tymora, Sune, and Sharess

Appearance: Jaspex is medium-tall with a svelte form, pale of skin and blue of eyes, who passes for human most of the time. His hair is black. He does have some features from his demonic heritage, however. First off, he has two tiny horns on his head that are easily hidden if his hair is given the freedom to cover them. Secondly, his finger- and toenails are an oily black. Third, his smile is filled with teeth that are just a little bit too sharp. Finally, he has a long fleshy, snake-like tail with a purple spade growth at the tip. He normally keeps the tail wrapped around one of his legs while in public, both to avoid drawing too much attention to it, and because it has very sensitive nerve endings. There is one other feature on his body, though it is less obviously non-human. He has bruise-like birthmarks on his back that resemble a pair of wings.

Jaspex prefers loose, simple clothing that allows him to move quickly, but isn't averse to dressing up if the situation calls for it. For normal travel, he favors sandals and a wide-brimmed straw hat.

Personality:
Jaspex gives lip service to hedonism, but his personal habits are more reserved. He does sample his own wares, but only for the purposes of quality control. He gets more pleasure from seeing other people indulging. However, he doesn't play the corrupter; he only gives people what they already want.

He takes what he likes to think is the realist's approach to death. It happens, some people deserve it, and there's no reason not to profit off of it. That aside, he has a soft spot for children and those with childlike innocence. On the opposite side of things, he has a healthy respect for old women. They usually have spines of steel and a lifetime of accumulated secrets.

Last edited by Humble Athena; Nov 25th, 2022 at 06:43 PM.