: +

Notices

Old 08-18-2013, 06:37 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 582
SinnerBeta SinnerBeta SinnerBeta SinnerBeta SinnerBeta SinnerBeta
Shrugging, Elizabeth moves from the doorway into the room itself without a word at Wes' advice.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:33 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2782
Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas
Gared"Oh sorry, I'm Gared. I'm from Blackcove, in the gulf on the other side of the mountains. I'm sure he would've sir, if he hadn't been killed." Gared's voice cracked, giving an indication that he is quite a bit younger than he looks. "It all started six months ago. A couple of fishermen disappeared. Experienced fishermen too. We searched for days, up and down the shore, but no bodies, or bits of bodies washed up. Nor did any wreckage. Then a couple days later, our blacksmith disappeared over night. His wife never heard him leave. Said his side of the bed was cold when she woke up in the morning.

Since then, more and more people have disappeared. My pa left a month ago, go try and get help. A couple of hunters found him the next day, face down in a stream, his head twisted around backwards. I knew if someone didn't do something, we was all gonna die, so I loaded up my pack with food that aught keep on a journey, found that there dagger and sword in the attic, and set off for here. I came straight through the forest. The trails didn't seem safe. And they aren't. The one place I had to return to the road, the pass at the top of the mountains, that's where they attacked me.

There was two of them. Never saw their faces, had hoods pulled up, it was starting to get dark. I managed to knock one over the side of the road, and he tumbled down the slope. Thats when the other stabbed me in the side. I hit him with my sword, like a real fighter! Must've hurt him, he let out a high pitched scream and ran off down the road."

Old 08-19-2013, 02:57 AM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4201
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
Chilaa's face sank as she listened to the man's story. "I'm sorry to hear about your father. You said his neck was twisted? That's concerning. Was he an experienced fighter?" she asked. Her thinking was that if Gared could take on two men, his father might be of similar skills, and thus who, or what, ever had left his neck broken must be more powerful. She was unsure if the two things were even connected, but she wanted more information. "Did you hear your attackers speak to each other?"
Old 08-19-2013, 03:36 AM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21901
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Shaye nodded gravely at the story, and if he felt any shame for rebuking the lad for his ignorance, it didn't show. By the sound of it, his father was a good man. A brave man. His son was brave, but clearly foolish. The boy could have easily followed his father to the grave, and nearly did. The dwarf pulls out the flask, and is about to open it to take an honorary sip in tribute to Gared's father, when he remembers what the boy said about the man not liking alcohol. He returns the flask to his pocket untouched.

Shaye lets Chillaa take over the talking, and just stands in the room like a block of stone, listening.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:35 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
At the mention of Blackcove, Elizabeth curiosity turned into attention, and she listened to every detail of the boy's story. A high pitch scream... that's not how normal people react to being stabbed. The situation sounded perilous, but it also meant that there would be less locals to contest with for any treasures.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Lord of Crummy Dice Rolls

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1537
GoremGB GoremGB GoremGB GoremGB GoremGB GoremGB GoremGB GoremGB GoremGB GoremGB GoremGB
Wes scratched his chin and propped himself against the window sill before crossing his arms in thought. Finally hearing the boys story, he gave him a nod of approval. "Lad I won't lie, the trip you made when you made it was foolish. It's a terrible time to travel,but dire circumstance rarely allows us to work things as we please. "

Giving a sigh, his fingers lightly drummed on his crossed arms and he looks to those gathered in the room. "I don't know about you all, but I've never known a head to be twisted backward by anything but a man or beast of great strength. Also abductions without a trace or commotion sounds almost like magic. "
Old 08-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Shaye nods at the wise words of Wes. "Somethin donnea sit richt, that be sure."
He looks at Gared and asks, "Why come here? Why not jus' go down the coast tae the' next town?"

Old 08-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Gared"May be foolish, but it seemed better than waiting around like cattle for the slaughter." He finally noticed the bowl of stew that had been placed on the table next to him. He ate it with the voracious appetite of a man who had not ate in days. "My pa? He was one of the town watch. Mostly he broke up bar fights. The rest of the time he worked with the fishermen. No, I never heard them say anything. Though they kept making gurgling sounds, like when a kid has a sore throat and his mom makes him gargle water with salt in it. The next town? I don't know of any other towns near by."
Old 08-19-2013, 03:09 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
Shaye didn't know what he was talking about when he spoke of gargling with salt water. His mother never did such a thing. When he had a sore throat he was just expected to deal with it and be quiet. He had found that if he ate the slimy shelf fungus that grew along the lake shore it would coat his throat and help some. That or his mother's homemade whisky. He could imagine the sound of gargling though. He didn't know of any man or beast that sounded like that.

Shaye nods and shrugs at the justification for crossing the mountains rather than traveling along the coast. He didn't know all the coastal settlements, but he has assumed there would be more than one. Humans did that, they put up their rickety wooden villages everywhere it seemed. There is a pause while everybody processes this news. The Dwarf doesn't know how to ask politely, so he just asks it.

"Yer town then. It be offerin' any kind o' coin o' reward for them what aid it?"

Last edited by Still_Pond; 08-19-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Master of Undeath

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10962
Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul
The news the young man, Gared was his name, gave of his town called Blackcove, was grim. Disappearances and deaths seem to have rapidly become frequent occurrences for the people that live there recently, and the situation certainly sounded desperate enough for the boy to have decided to make the journey over the pass. That he had then been waylayed, not by wild beasts, but by some other people set all kinds of alarms off in his mind. The pass was dangerous this time of year, and bandits would know that as well as anyone, so he doubted they would be there for profit. Which pointed towards the far darker conclusion that someone was trying to prevent him from getting the word out and gaining help. Considering what had happened to Gared's pa only added weight to this path of thought. His own course was now clearly set, his duty clear. With a sideways glance at Shaye in response to his comment, though really he doesn't blame the dwarf at all, he speaks. "Reward or not, I will do what I can to help your town."
Old 08-20-2013, 03:11 AM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4201
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
Chilaa glared daggers at Wes when he made the insulting comment, but he was right about the strength of the creature that did it. Gared confirmed that his father had some training, and her gears started spinning. While she was still calculating, Shaye butted in and Chilaa was astounded at his brazen behaviour. She was no stranger to hiring out her skills; she often defended ships at sea from pirate attacks, but that was when people were heading out into known dangers in search of profits. These people were simply eking out a life wherever they could when unknown dangers slipped in around them and stalked them from the shadows. She agreed that anyone that would help them deserved some reward, but to blackmail it out of the village was... Calen spoke up and channelled her thoughts far more nicely and productively. "Agreed. First, though, we need to get as much information as we can. I don't know what information that is, or if we can get it, but we need it."

This wasn't her strong suit, but she was a smart enough girl. She settled for a second, pinching her nose and closing her eyes. She leaned back on her heels and then opened her eyes. "First, I guess, how many days travel is it? It's evening now, so we're probably not leaving til day break. Second..." she was scrambling to put her thoughts in order, and really the numbers weren't important, but she had been around many people doing investigations, and they always seemed to number their questions. It just felt natural. "There were disappearances. The blacksmith... Was he ever actually in bed? The fisherman were out to sea, right? Were any of the disappearances in town? Third: Your father was found outside of the town, but no one else was ever found? Fourth: Do you believe all these disappearances and attacks were the work of the same men that attacked you? Did your father show similar wounds to your own? Were there any signs of a fight at the scenes of the disappearances? I'm sorry. I know that's a lot of questions. Answer them as you wish I can repeat anything you miss."

She gave the man a consoling look as she waited for him to answer.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
So... the rumours were true. Hopefully the one regarding treasures were too.

"If I may," Elizabeth spoke up "I was on route to Blackcove myself. Seeing as some of you are eager to see to his matter, perhaps we could join forces to put a stop to this... incidents ?" even if in the end she'd have to share the money with them, it sure beat going after some unknown enemy alone.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Lord of Crummy Dice Rolls

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1537
GoremGB GoremGB GoremGB GoremGB GoremGB GoremGB GoremGB GoremGB GoremGB GoremGB GoremGB
Westin's eyebrows rose slightly and his hands opened palms up slightly in his best "What I do?!" look at Chilaa's glare and he heard Shaye's question and thought along the same line, not that he'd voice that. As Calen stated his words he nodded, slightly in agreement, while money was VERY nice and VERY welcome, he was curious about the nature of these disappearances and hey if he could help out some good honest folk too all the better. Plus this would make some interesting news to report back to the colony.

"Well looks like I'm in too, maybe we can solve this mystery and get back in time to catch ourselves a ship to boot! "

He looked around to the others for their thoughts on his masterful plan, and listened to young Gerad? Jerry? Hared! Yes Hared was the boys name! answer Chilaa's questions.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:13 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Gared
"Well, I don't know sir. We're not a rich town. I'm sure they'd do as best they could to show their appreciation." His eyes kinda glazed over at all of Chilaa's questions. It took him a few moments before he responded. "Its a full day and most of the next morning down to the road through the mountains, another day through the pass, and about half a day to here. The blacksmith? His missus said he wasn't there in the morning when she woke up, she'd have said something if he hadn't come to bed that night. Yeah, they were net fishermen. Most of the missing disappeared from in or around town.

No ma'am, my pa was the only one we found. His head was on backwards and there was a gash down his back, didn't look like no sword wound. We don't rightly know where the others went missing from exactly, it's not like bandits stole them, no blood sign or broken stuff in their houses. I don't know who it was that attacked me. I'd say they was bandits, but we don't have bandits round the cove, no ones got enough money that makes it worth killin over.
Do you think you could help my town?"

Last edited by Eddas; 08-20-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
Shaye ignores the disapproving looks. The boy was desperate for aid, and when there is a demand one doesn't just give away their supply without at least discussing terms first. He simply wanted to know what might be offered. As it turned out, it wasn't much. A poor town's appreciation in exchange for the Dwarf risking his life, that was a bad deal. Add on traveling with this noble woman, and the deal was rotten. However, the townsfolk in peril were fishermen. He had been a fisherman, until recently, so he felt a certain connection to them. As for the noble, maybe she had money; money she might part with to reward those who aid her. It might be worth it. There was also this unknown enemy. It was quite possible that they might have something of value.

Shaye picks up Gared's blades and sets them on the bed beside him. The dwarf says simply,
"Ah'll go."

Last edited by Still_Pond; 08-20-2013 at 08:58 PM.