RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jan 1st, 2022, 02:02 AM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30470
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
Happy New Year 2022!

Happy New Year!

I watched "Death to 2021" on Netflix the other night. Some of it was amusing, but all of it felt like a surreal revisitation of the bizarre and disturbing year we never wanted but got anyway. Some of 2021 was benign-weird: the kind of year where artists find new ways to sell their grandmother, Captain Kirk goes to space, and RPG Crossing has an in-person get-together after 18 years of text-based anonymity. Unfortunately, much more of it, and especially the kinds of things they like to show on Netflix, was crap-weird. I took a few photos this year, and this one feels eerily appropriate:
normal image without text wrap
The Committee

But that's not us! I am proud that our community has continued to serve as a bright and comfortable haven for travellers in these dark days. I've heard many stories about how the inviting, welcoming, and engaging nature of all of you has helped people through difficulty in illness, marriage, depression, loss, and loneliness. Thank you for whatever your part has been in easing difficult times for those in need of better stories. And you know that get-together I mentioned? It was a lot of fun:
The Get-Together

I sat around tonight with a few people talking about the year past, and the year to come. As with any year, there were high points and low points, and a mix of optimism and anxiety for the year to come. I sincerely hope that your own year to come brings you better times, and wish you comfort and happiness. I look forward to the new year of stories real and imagined, and to hearing about them at RPG Crossing. The next (and last) photo was taken of a sunny hillside this fall, at the farthest point of a walking trail and with no one around. In the moment, the scene seemed to capture a feeling of hope and optimism even as I was starting to be concerned about getting back before sunset. I'd needed to get away for an afternoon, and this photo captured one aspect of that escape that I was able to take home with me.
Peace and Promise

Charity Drive 2021 final tally

We finished our 10th annual December drive with a grand total of $4,780 raised for the Brain and Behavior Research Foundation. This blows any previous year out of the water, and brings our grand total raised to over $17,000 over the past 10 years. I'm proud to have teamed up with all the participants to make this contribution! I'd like to give special thanks to Joshilyn Jackson for matching the first $2,000 in donations this year, to our anonymous $250 matcher, and to all those who contributed prizes for participants: you played a big part in the success of the drive.

For those who received prizes from the drive: please, please make an effort to write an online review of any accessory you use to give a helping hand to the generous prize donors. I aim to finish my part in handling all the prizes after the first week of January and hope that that means that you will be receiving everything soon after that.

Thank you, RPG Crossing staff and other volunteers!

I say this every year, but that is only because their contributions are so meaningful to RPG Crossing: thank you to all our present and past moderators who together set the wonderful tone of this community through a panoply of volunteer efforts. Please take a moment as you are considering the year past and the year to come to think on their contributions. They make things like the New Player Solo Games, Iron DM, Outplay, Post of the Month, Explosive Runes, and Hall of Fame possible, and also work daily to help game masters to create effective game ads and keep the site friendly and spam free (and this has continued to be a big job this year.) You can find a full list of current site staff here. Thanks also to all the other volunteers who step in to judge competitions, run virtual workshops, contribute to ER, make podcasts, make suggestions and help with site improvements, run games, and all the other things that tie this community together. You are fantastic.

Some highlights from the year:

RPG Crossing put out two new issues of Explosive Runes this year, including the current issue #31 that came out this month. If you haven't checked out this free community project, you're missing out on great art, stories, gaming advice, and short adventures! Back issues can be found at RPG Crossing's Explosive Runes page. Anyone interested in contributing to the next issue should contact Admin Dirk or wodine.

Scimmy and kingmonkey were back at it this year with 8 new podcast episodes. These guys were great company during Covid-times in 2020, and I was glad to have more of their content to listen to in 2021. I thought the episodic segment at the end of the podcasts where they assembled an adventure by integrating the results from random table rolls was exceptionally well done, with lots of other great content interspersed throughout the episodes.

At the end of January, Pseudonymous was announced as the winner of the 2020 Post of the Year with "a short, sweet post, quick but filled with delight". Keep an eye on the Announcements forum in the coming month to learn the winner of the 2021 Post of the Year.

At the end of February, two long-standing moderators retired. Thank you to Nimlos (moderator since 2011) and Jondera (moderator since 2009) for all their contributions over the years. At the same time, Raylorne and Unko Talok (a returning staff member!) (re)joined the moderator ranks, and it's been a real pleasure to have them around.

For the second year, we opted for an alternate April 1 celebration. Instead of a prank, we had another community appreciation day(s). People seem to enjoy this positive alternative, so I see no reason why we shouldn't keep doing it every year.

Also in April, we ran our first annual Spring Scavenger Hunt as a replacement for the Easter Egg Hunt. The winners were team Thanks Easter Aboleth Bawk Bawk. Name by committee or malicious AI?

In May, Aethera announced the addition of three new games to RPG Crossing's Hall of Fame. The new inductees were Descent into Avernus, a Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition game DMed by DaysUntold; To the Callhill: the War of the Book, a Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition game DMed by Bluejack
; and Tomb of Annihilation, a Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition game DMed by jbear. All of these can now be found in their new home in the Hall of Fame section of the boards.

Outplay, RPG Crossing's player competition, opened applications at the beginning of June and wrapped up by the end of August. In the end there was a fierce boss battle with entries by ekidnu, HenryLockwood, and Wishkamon -- check out the final thread to see who won! Definitely check out the engaging narrations of Outplay featured as dramatic readings in episodes 48 to 50 of the podcast.

In September, it was time for Iron DM. Check out the competition, and discover who won the final confrontation between Thaco and lostcheerio!

And wow! As of the end of December, we are up to 1173 NPSG grads and going strong, with eight game systems to choose from! Thank you to everyone who contributes to that amazing initiative!

I'd also like to give a shout out to everyone who takes a moment out of their day to welcome new members to our community - thank you!

And that's a wrap! Happy New Year and good luck in all your adventures in 2022! Now go play some games!*

With special thanks to our Community Supporters and donors who provide the principal financial support for the ongoing existence of this community,

- Mark / Birched

PS If you are running something on the site that I haven't mentioned, or if you see any errors or omissions, please send me a pm and let me know! I'll add it to my note this year and for future years.

*Unless, of course, you like lists, in which case you should take a look at the following just for fun, and then go play some games.

Users who posted the most to greet new members. Thank you for being welcoming!
  1. Imveros
  2. Admin Dirk
  3. bananabadger
  4. HotsuSama
  5. chocoladevla
  6. Yamaneko
  7. Unko Talok
  8. Leviticus
  9. Birched
  10. Kenjitsu

Users who were most active running the New Player Solo Games. Thank you for guiding new members!
  1. savoylen
  2. Chrystrom
  3. Imveros
  4. Retry
  5. Wynamoinen
  6. pianoman90
  7. Homestarbaby
  8. Fillyjonk
  9. HotsuSama
  10. Still_Pond

Users who referred the most new users who stuck around to make at least 10 posts in 2021. Thanks!
  1. Imveros (5 referrals)
  2. zebedee (4 referrals)
  3. FadingSignal (3 referrals)
  4. Kaigen (3 referrals) (TIE)
  5. savoylen (3 referrals) (TIE)
  6. Larson Gates (2 referrals)
Top ten most popular non-private threads (by new post count) in 2021.
  1. 100 Questions
  2. Tug of War 105: Trick or Treat
  3. Tug of War 100: It's already March! [SPECIAL EDITION]
  4. Tug of War 106: How like a winter bath my absence been
  5. Group OOC
  6. The Whistling Poke
  7. Tug of War 104: All men are mad in some way or the other!
  8. Heart of Darkness
  9. Group Text
  10. Lady Luck's House
Top ten most popular non-private game threads (by new post count) in 2021.
  1. Tug of War 105: Trick or Treat
  2. Tug of War 100: It's already March! [SPECIAL EDITION]
  3. Tug of War 106: How like a winter bath my absence been
  4. Tug of War 104: All men are mad in some way or the other!
  5. Slouching Toward Vallaki
  6. 6-D: Grand Theft Paradise
  7. Life in zhentil
  8. Resistance in thay
  9. 6-C: The Icemen Cometh
  10. Monsters, from A to Z
Top ten most popular game systems for new games advertised in 2021.
  1. dnd_5e
  2. other
  3. pathfinder
  4. dresden_files
  5. starfinder
  6. SWRPG (TIE)
  7. shadowrun
  8. pf2e (TIE)
  9. dungeon_world (TIE)
  10. serenity
  11. world_of_darkness (TIE)
Top ten users who gave the most reputation hits in 2021.
  1. bananabadger
  2. Elanir
  3. Imveros
  4. Unko Talok
  5. Admin Dirk
  6. PlaidPeregrine
  7. Homestarbaby
  8. Fillyjonk
  9. Chrystrom
  10. lostcheerio
Top ten users who received the most reputation hits in 2021.
  1. bananabadger
  2. lostcheerio
  3. Fillyjonk
  4. Chrystrom
  5. AnotherDragoon
  6. Elanir
  7. Begon Ugo
  8. HotsuSama
  9. Imveros
  10. Retry
Top posts with the most reputation hits in 2021.
  1. hafrogman
  2. Pseudonymous
  3. ruffdove
  4. Chrystrom
  5. Retry (TIE)
  6. Homestarbaby
  7. pianoman90 (TIE)
  8. Imveros
  9. lostcheerio (TIE)
  10. lostcheerio
  11. savoylen (TIE)
Top ten forums with the most posts in 2021.
  1. Open Roleplaying
  2. Games Seeking Players
  3. Completed Adventures
  4. West Marches
  5. Solo Games Archive
  6. Infraction Archive
  7. Barovia Wants You!
  8. Reluctant Heroes
  9. Axi-island - The Battle Island
  10. Arbiters Archive 2
Longest running games with posts in 2021 (ranked by age) -- also, when you are this old, any post counts.
  1. Dark*Matter: The Hoffmann Institute
  2. The Three Evils
  3. Bloodline of the Prophet
  4. Elghinn Il'tess Wun l' Olath
  5. The Ringlabor
  6. Earthen Works
  7. The Realms of Kataclysm
  8. Darkness Rising
  9. Bleakrock: The truth revealed (The Adventurers)
  10. Trials of the Young King
And by request, top all time posts by ranked by RPXP hits as of Jan 1, 2022.
  1. hvg3akaek
  2. Vahnscraze
  3. ridin gaijin
  4. Spiryt
  5. wodine
  6. Frodiddly
  7. ridin gaijin
  8. Amy (TIE)
  9. The Ellimist
  10. Admin Raj (TIE)