Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1599
Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga
The Mystical Archives of Helty

Advertisement
Game NameThe Mystical Archives of Helty
Game SystemPathfinder
ThemeA sort of adventure of the week situation, with good amounts of mystery and exploration mixed in.
FlavourPost WW1 era fantasy. A mix of lighthearted road travels with a wide variety of bittersweet endings

Plot Summary
right-aligned image
The story takes place a couple years after the War of Green and Silver. With Chroedale “liberated” things settle into an uneasy peace. Despite this many important issues remain, such as the status of H.U.F.T. (Halflings United Field Trust), the general unrest in Chroedale as a new leader is selected, Navaloche’s continued raiding, and Zarus’ increasing power. To add to the pile, the still quite powerful Rokugan Shogunate and Dead Empire are more than capable of continuing a war.

In the midst of this a single man, Heltan, looks to collect a series of ancient tomes that have spread across the land. Heltan is rather elderly, being a former member of the College of Scorched Robes. His age is such that Ol’ Helty has trouble staying awake for long periods of time, and ends up sleeping for large parts of the day. You have been called by Heltan for an important purpose, for a job the old man no longer has the strength for. The collection of magical tomes of varying style and power that have been scattered across the world during the war.

While some tomes may seem to be mundane, many are dangerous artifacts that could cause catastrophic damage to the places they end up. You, by whatever means, have found yourself in Chroedale, the old seat of the Silver Oaks, the losers of the war. During your time here you sought out Old Heltan, an expert in divination. Whatever happened when Heltan showed up, you promised to him a favor for what he did. Now Ol’ Helty has come with an offer, he is willing to pay handsomely for the collection of potentially dangerous tomes of unknown power.

A Bit of Background

right-aligned image

The War of Green and Silver: During this war, Chroedale, a mercantile hub for most of the known world, began a rapid expansion to claim new lands. The Western Powers formed an alliance in response, the Eightfold Coalition. Seven years later the seemingly immortal and ancient ruler of Chroedale was defeated and his Silver Oaks scattered. The Coalition has set out to reform the city, aiming to set up a new leader who would lead the city to act as it did in its former days, as a center of impartial commerce.

Unaligned PowersH.U.F.T.

Navaloche

Zarus

The Rokugan Shogunate

The Sword Sands

The Dead Empire

Chroedale

Northern States

The Eightfold Coalition
The Vodzul Dominion

Hellradia

The Duhramir Pact

Republic of Antolles

The Kingdom of Malantera

Reichel

Vatlia

Jorundahult

Character CreationSources: No 3rd party content
Alignment: Avoid evil alignment, however if you believe you can play it in an interesting way feel free to shoot out and application
Character Level: 2nd level
Stats: 25 point buy
Wealth: 2000 gp
HP: Full at level 1, every level after is a best of two roll
Traits: Two at maximum, no flaws
Application Due Date: February 17th
Posting frequency: Once a week
I request that you don't make any character sheets until I've decided on the party
ApplicationCharacter Name:
Race: No race with more than 16 RP. Base races are more or less common across the world, while more exotic races may have specific origins. Ask for clarification before selecting something.
Class: As normal, if you're playing a gunslinger or something similar I will have to make adjustments. The gods are greyhawk deities with a few adjustments, ask for clarification.
Description: Describe your character's appearance and personality. Images are encouraged but should not be used to supplement a description.
Character History: A couple hundred words to outline your character's history. At some point it should include a reason as to why you would seek out the services of a renowned divination expert. If you have a theme in mind I am more than happy to help pick out where in the world your character might have originated.
Writing Sample: At least 300 hundred words. This could be anything, a specific moment from your backstory, your first meeting with Heltan, anything that gives me a chance to see how you plan on playing your character.
Impressions: At most a couple sentences about how your character might react to other applications

PlayerCharacterRaceClassStatus
CatCanCook Kambur the Contrary Oread Monk/Cleric Completed
Silent Rain John Legrasse Human Fighter Completed
Exhibit A Graggar Grippli Shaman Completed
OneDarkness Nictis the Mad Chef Ratfolk Alchemist Completed
VaultDwe11er Sebastian De Valencia Human Cavalier Completed
Megscetera Andra Aramina Ifrit Magus Completed
Miss Nomer Ihleraelyoyi "Lily" Kallveiyair Elf Fighter/Warpriest Completed
Librarian Loraethain "L." Consular Tiefling Wizard Completed

Last edited by Amarga; 02-19-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:40 PM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
Well this has been a bit of a learning experience. Anyways I think I covered just about everything, give me a shout if you have any questions
Old 01-28-2020, 03:25 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13414
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
H.U.F.T. (Halflings United Field Trust), the general unrest in Chroedale as a new leader is selected, Navaloche’s continued raiding, and Zarus’ increasing power. To add to the pile, the still quite powerful Rokugan Shogunate and Dead Empire are more than capable of continuing a war.

Sounds interesting but I would add a blurb or about each of the current events you mention as they beg questions as to who and what they are, but am dotting with interest.

Did you have a deadline in mind?
Old 01-28-2020, 03:37 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2625
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
hmm, at least 200 words for character's history, plus at least 300 words or writing example, got it. That's a lot, will type in word and paste it here.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:13 PM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekr34 View Post
hmm, at least 200 words for character's history, plus at least 300 words or writing example, got it. That's a lot, will type in word and paste it here.
I'm flexible on both of those honestly, I suppose 100-300 words is more reasonable, and the 200 words is also about as flexible
Old 01-28-2020, 04:16 PM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDarkness View Post
H.U.F.T. (Halflings United Field Trust), the general unrest in Chroedale as a new leader is selected, Navaloche’s continued raiding, and Zarus’ increasing power. To add to the pile, the still quite powerful Rokugan Shogunate and Dead Empire are more than capable of continuing a war.

Sounds interesting but I would add a blurb or about each of the current events you mention as they beg questions as to who and what they are, but am dotting with interest.

Did you have a deadline in mind?
You're right about that, I'll keep adding some to make it more clear. As far as deadline goes I'd like to have a party selected by mid-February at the latest
Old 01-28-2020, 07:25 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6867
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Hey Amarga. Posting Interest. Should have something cooked up in a few days.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:45 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1285
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
Character Name: Kambur the Contrary

Race: Oread

Class: Unchained Monk 1 / Separatist Cleric 1 of Boccob (God of Magic, Arcane Knowledge, Balance, Foresight and Non-intervention)

Description: Kambur is bald, muscular, roughly human-like in bodily proportions, but with skin the texture and appearance of rough granite with rocky outcroppings. Occasionally he indulges in war-paints, as he is convinced (incorrectly) that they help intimidate his foes. As a monk, he bears a variety of weapons distinctive of that discipline. He wears a headband prominently displaying the eye-in-pentagram symbol of Boccob.

Character History:

Kambur was raised in a rural village under oppressive overlords of the Shogunate. He and his brothers stood out due to their unusual racial heritage, and this singled them out for random, haphazard persecution. As oppressed peasants have done throughout history, members of his community had covertly practiced martial arts traditions. In his youth he trained as a combatant in unarmed styles and the variety of weapons adapted from converted farm implements.
right-aligned image

Unfortunately, his clan were oft persecuted and oppressed under the fickle and mercurial will of their overlord. He became obsessed with two philosophical notions -- how do you predict the whims of a seeming madman? And with the overlord’s ever shifting demands, how does the clan keep its balance and survive with their honor intact? Such thoughts shaped his thinking.

His life changed when the vagaries of war forced his clan to flee to avoid forced-recruitment as shock-troops. He wandered wide and far until by chance he fell into travel with a group of scholar-clerics. For several years he served under one as a bodyguard. The mysteries of Balance and Foresight are what most drew Kambur to the deeper into worship of Boccob. He enrolled in study as a cleric. Yet, being a mediocre scholar at best and stubbornly disinterested in formal arcane lore, he became a subject of some derision and ridicule at the temple. Being naturally cantankerous and contrary, he exacerbated this by coming up with religious doctrines right on the fringe of heretical, yet not quite crossing the line.

Becoming a Separatist Cleric, Kambur studied the Growth Domain atypical of Boccob’s portfolio, in addition to the god’s more typical Deception domain. Yet, he was able to fuse the lessons of this faith into his own particular quirky martial style.

The temple hierarchy, to get this contrary nonconformist out of their hair, often assigned him errands involving distant travel. He was sent with a group of novice magicians and clergy to Helty by the temple of Boccob to support a routine exchange of scholars and tomes between research communities. However, the party fell under attack. One of his charges (a young apprentice wizard) was slain, and his books (on load from Heltan) were stolen. While Kambur acquitted himself honorably in battle and came to the Archives with an untarnished reputation, he feels honor-bound to pledge his services to the Archives until such a time as he feels the balance is restored. Kambur’s interests in the Foresight domain make the divination focus of the archives of interest to him -- though he approaches the topic more intuitive than intellectually.

Keywords: disciplined, dutiful, stubborn, cantankerous, contrary, quirky.

Writing Sample:

Impressions:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kambur.png
Views:	370
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	82989  

Last edited by CatCanCook; 02-04-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:12 PM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
Oread is perfectly fine
Old 01-29-2020, 03:17 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1927
Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of
This sounds like fun! As for a character idea...I actually have a few. Will have to sort out my brain and figure out what to play, but it looks interesting!
Old 01-29-2020, 03:52 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25717
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Too bad Im swamp with many game, look fun Amarga!
Old 01-29-2020, 01:38 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 53
Orannis
I've been lying in wait for a PF game that looked like my kind of scene, and I think this is it. I've got a Human Magus(Staff Magus/Nature-Bonded) I've been itching to play that I think would be a good fit. Work is insane right now + wedding planning, so it might take me a while to get those submission requirements together, but if you're looking at a mid-February due date I'm pretty sure I can make it work.

Last edited by Orannis; 01-29-2020 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:01 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6867
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
right-aligned image

Character Name: John Legrasse
Race: Human
Class: Fighter (Eldritch Guardian)

Description: John is a middle-aged man that stands nearly six feet tall. His brown hair and light beard have obvious streaks of gray running through them. Pronounced laugh lines at his eyes and mouth along with a smattering of scars over his body and face are visible evidence of a life that has seen both happiness and pain.

Although trained in all manner of arms and armor, John has always preferred the lighter of each, wearing armor and wielding weapon that allow his to leverage his quicker than average reflexes. His preferred weapon, a rapier, it almost always at his hip.

Personality: John has been a soldier for Chroedale his entire life. He enjoyed the camaraderie of his fellow soldiers and the regiment of a military lifestyle. Although he never sought to lead, his dedication and quick thinking allowed John to rise through the ranks, eventually providing him with a small command. At first afraid of the perceived burden of what was being placed upon him, he soon came to enjoy his new responsibilities and truly care for the well-being of those under his command.

Since Chroedale's defeat at the hands of the The Eightfold Coalition and John's 'accident', he has been feeling increasingly lost and without a purpose.

Character History: The son of merchants from Chroedale, John came to love his home from an early age. The constant comings and goings at all times and interesting and strange people he met filled him with wonder. When he came of age, much to the chagrin of his parents, John wanted to do something to protect the home that he loved and so he enlisted in the military. Spartan living conditions, strict regimented guidelines on what he could do or act, having to jump at a moment's notice...John loved all of it.

When Chroedale began putting its sights on its neighbors, John was right there in the thick of the fighting. Although attacking another kingdom was not what he had in mind when he joined, he assumed it was for the greater good and never looked back. Toward the end of what would later be referred to as the War of Green and Silver, John was leading a squadron of men in the foothills of northern Reichel. They took heavy losses and John's squad was lost to a man. Refusing to give up, John continued to fight despite numerous injuries of his own. A fireball erupted beside him and he knew it was the end. Surprisingly, the ground gave way where he was standing, having been damaged in the blast, and he fell into a ruin of some kind, appearing to have long since been buried.

Near death, John saw a faint purple light emanating from the side of the room he was in. Not sure what to make of this, he began dragging his body toward the light when a voice filled his mind.

"Mortal! Your spark is nearly spent. I have been bound to this place for millennia, imprisoned, though my jailers have long since perished. Become my host, that we both might escape this place and live once more. "

John was not sure what to make of what was happening, if it was even real or some delusion. Either way, he had nothing to lose. He nodded his consent as he lost consciousness.

Last edited by Silent Rain; 02-04-2020 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:00 PM
DAGRON

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5954
Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A
Graggar
left-aligned image

Name: Graggar
Race: Grippli
Class: Shaman

Description

Graggar is a staunch traditionalist, and wants nothing more than for his people to live their lives in peace as they always have. He is somewhat mistrustful of outsiders, and extremely cautious around modern technology, particularly firearms and other advanced weaponry. As an experienced leader and father, he is always ready to offer advice to anyone he feels needs it; whether that advice takes the form of gentle consolation, or a stern reprimand.

Physically, Graggar is starting to show his age, his once bright emerald skin now a duller yellow-green. His clothing is simple, and even anachronistic by the standards of most of the world, usually consisting of little more than a rough hide tunic; although the dangers of traveling in the outside world have encouraged him to supplement his attire with armor.

Character History

Almost since he was a tadpole, Graggar has felt a special connection to the spirits of the world; particularly those that govern the night sky. As a youth, he would often climb the tallest trees around his home and spend whole night gazing at the stars and pondering the endless abyss beyond the sky. After a time, the spirits began to commune more closely with the young frog, granting him a portion of their magical power. His unusual talents caught the eye of the elderly shaman of the village, who took Graggar on as an apprentice. Under her tutelage, he learned a great deal about using his abilities, and also what it really meant to be a shaman; the responsibility of being a leader and protector of his people. When his mentor passed away, Graggar took over full-time as the shaman of his people, the Gonji tribe. He read the stars nightly, seeking guidance for the grippli that were now under his care.

The Gonji lived a peaceful life deep in the swamps, undisturbed by the outside world. Undisturbed, that is, until the War of Green and Silver. Although they had no interest in taking sides in a war that had nothing to do with them, the Gonji were nevertheless caught in the middle of it. Their swamp home, nearly untouched by outsiders for generations, was all but destroyed, burned and smashed by opposing armies with their powerful weapons of destruction. Since that horrible day, the Gonji have wandered as nomads and refugees, unable to find a place where they may settle in peace. Even the stars have been silent to Graggar, and he had nearly given up hope, when he heard about the man called Heltan, a master of divination. Leaving the tribe under the capable leadership of his wife, Vekli, he has sought out Heltan to seek his help finding a new home for his people.

Writing Sample

RP Sample
Graggar clutched his cloak tighter around him as the massive machine rolled past. What was it that fellow had called it? An auto-mobile? Whatever it was, it made him nervous; even more than the simple fact that he was alone in a land of giants. It was a shame this Heltan didn't live farther south; the halflings at least were not too tall. Here he constantly felt in danger of being trodden on, if he wasn't run over by one of those blasted machines first.

He caught a few odd looks as he continued down the street; even in cosmopolitan Chroedale a grippli was apparently an unusual sight. Ignoring the gawkers, he took another look at the directions he had been given to Heltan's library. He stood still for a few minutes, alternating between studying the drawn map and scanning the surrounding area. Now... which street am I on? Everything looks the same! He very nearly threw down the paper in frustration, but caught himself and took a few calming deep breaths. He had never been this short tempered back in the swamp. Something- or rather, everything about this place brought it out in him. Having fully lost faith in his own ability to navigate the city, he approached a man standing on the corner who was wearing a sort of uniform- a police officer, he believed.

"Excuse me, sir? Would you help out a lost soul?" he croaked. The policeman looked around in apparent confusion. "Down here," Graggar added with a grumble.

"Oh! Terribly sorry sir, didn't see you," the officer kindly hid his surprise behind a friendly smile. "What can I help you with?"

"Think nothing of it, young man," Gragger replied. In truth the officer may well have been older than him; he didn't have a solid grasp on human ages, though he knew they lived longer than grippli. Still, he always felt age was truly more a question of maturity than simple time. "I'm looking to meet a man named Helty, he resides somewhere in the city. I have directions-" he handed the man the map he had been studying, "but I'm afraid I have little experience navigating a city as... grand as yours and I've gotten myself lost. "

The policeman pointed Graggar in the correct direction easily, apparently he was closer to his destination that he had thought. He was surprised by the man's helpfulness, and that surprise in itself bothered him; he knew better than to judge others so readily. He knew he had taught his children better, at the very least. Perhaps sometimes it was easier to teach a thing than to practice it. And perhaps sometimes even a shaman had much to learn when thrown into a knew situation.

Impressions

Kambur the Contrary: The man is discipline, and determined, there's no doubt there. But his wisdom is untempered by kindness, and he seems to have a great deal of anger. He needs to learn that a soft word can have as much effect as a clenched fist.

John Legrasse: He is a warrior, I knew a few like him back home. A man who is strong, and seeks to use his strength for the protection of others rather than his own gain. Still I find it hard to trust him; he was part of the war that destroyed my home.

Nictis the Mad Chef: The others seem to be uneasy around him; I for one find him easier to be around than I do them, if only due to size. He's a man who has experienced a great deal of pain in his life and grown past it. I think perhaps I could learn from that, my own past pains still haunt me daily.

Sebastian de Valencia: A warrior, like John, and yet not. Sebastian seems concerned only with proving his own strength, but what good is that strength if it is not used for a good purpose? This is a man who could use my guidance, I think.

Last edited by Exhibit A; 02-14-2020 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:06 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13414
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
Character App
left-aligned image
Nictis the Mad Chef
Scent taken instead of TinkererRatfolk, Male, 16, Neutral Good
Alchemist 2

Appearance
Hair / Fur: Dominantly grey but in various patched shades
Eyes: Black with just a hint of Ruby under the right light
Usual Attire: Nictis wears little more than nondescript grey and brown leathers, that he keeps fastidiously clean as much as he can, and two bandoleers with an assortment of pouches and loops that hold vials securely in place. He has nicks and scratches about him along with some prominent ones upon his nose which are almost impossible to miss, but by far is most dominant feature is his eyes which are pools of ebony with just a hint of dark red depending on the lighting. His eyes never seem to blink and have a tendency to simply stare and make others feel uncomfortable, if that wasn't enough he always seems to be sniffing at something, a habit that only those who have spent sometime with him realize is not anything worrisome. He has a fondness for discussing cooking and many of his jokes tend towards such in nature, but once he starts cooking he often starts talking to himself and even arguing without any need for another to join in.

Character History

Writing Sample

Impressions

Last edited by OneDarkness; 02-15-2020 at 09:16 AM.