RPXP: 67
Purim
The Mushroom Kingdom

Game NameThe Mushroom Kingdom
Game System13th Age
ThemeMario RPG
FlavourMixed comical and shady themes
Plot Summary

Hello all, it's been a minute but I'm preparing to start a new game with some RL gaming coming to a close. I'm hoping to try something a little more fun and less traditional, and by that I mean a nostalgic romp through the Mushroom Kingdom!

*AHEM*
PLOT: The various kingdoms in the world have all come under siege from an army of the Dark Land. The king there a turtle dragon self proclaimed King-Koopa has sent his armies, airships, tanks, and more to take over the world. Some local denizens took up his banner but each kingdom is doing it's best to fight back and while this war rages on our heroes story will emerge! (We'll have some various denizens and quests in each land.)

Setting: Equipment, Consumables, Foes, the whole world will be Mushroom Kingdom themed.

System 13th Age
13th Age Gives their rules out for free

Aiming for 3-4 Players, with an expectation of posting 2 times per week. (I will iron out the details but something along the lines of GM posts Sunday and Thursday evenings, with players free to post between those posts)

Taking Applications until December 3 2022
Let's avoid canon characters, but feel free to use various races from the OG games, RPG, Paper Marios, etc.
Characters start at LV 1, 28 Point Buy
Reskin your character race to an appropriate race in the Mario-verse
I'd like to see a picture, and a couple paragraphs of who your character is. They can be from any 'world' on the list. Players will get to vote on the land they start together at. (If no decisive decision is come to, we'll just roll a dice like the good role players we are! With 8 lands to explore and kingdoms to rescue we have some general goals to pursue.

1- Grass Land
2- Desert Land
3- Water Land
4- Giant Land
5- Sky Land
6- Ice Land
7- Pipe Land
8- Dark Land* Off limits as a starting location, but a character could be from here.

Don't forget your 'One Unique Thing'
Please include 2 GM friendly hooks for goals for your character directly and personally.
Remember to keep your backgrounds broad, the GM really likes to use these!

And yes, our world's currency is gold coins.

Last edited by Purim; Nov 7th, 2022 at 07:17 PM.
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 06:59 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Purim
For Q&As and EDIT list...

11/7/22: Note: I like to keep dungeon crawling to 50% of the game. When we do get into a dungeon scenarios, I plan to have visual maps, but 13th age isn't super particular on grid movement, so I'll also include a summary of relative combatant locations so we can all be on the same page.

11/8/22: Added attachment, map example. You can see here what a quick approximation of a map would look like. Some loose coordinates so we can communicate easier about where you want to be, but plenty of wiggle room to rearrange characters around each other and enemies when it gets crowded. (Most movement in 13th is more relative than exact measurements)

A rule clarification: We won't be using quirks in general for magic items. You can only equip magic items up to your level. (so for example at level 2, you can equip 2 magic items)

If the team doesn't have a quote unquote necessary healing type, do not fret. I'd rather players play what's exciting to them. We'll remedy the situation with everyone receiving a wondrous item that would act like a healing potion that refill itself each combat. So you can't really stockpile them, but you JRPG item hoarders won't feel bad about using them, healing potions still matter, and everyone can take care of themselves a little better. (but if we do get a healer, they'll take that responsibility right?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MAPEXAMPLE.png
Views:	21
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	97641  

Last edited by Purim; Nov 8th, 2022 at 02:56 PM.
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 02:02 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4382
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
nameKang kong
class barbarian
race beastborn
theme similar to his cousin donkey Kong. Lots of smash and barrel throwing.

Still trying to learn the system. Donkey Kong is one of my favorite characters and hoping it fits within the world. I'm also thinking of a Bowser clone.
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 09:59 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 666
Zangul Zangul Zangul Zangul Zangul Zangul
I have never played 13th age. Mainly a star wars and DnD 3e 3.5 and 5e, player. So if you don't mind having a noob to the brand I'd like to learn.

You can't kill what you can't see,
But what you can't see can kill you! Quote from Nailo moonshade Phantom Rogue
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 12:22 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4992
Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks
Interesting concept! I think there was a Mario RPG that used a dice pool system somewhere. I don't know much about 13th Age myself, but I like this campaign idea. May or may not throw an app in at some point.
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 02:18 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Purim
Quote:
Originally Posted by delpinator View Post
Still trying to learn the system. Donkey Kong is one of my favorite characters and hoping it fits within the world. I'm also thinking of a Bowser clone.
That would absolutely work in the setting. He might even be able to find a barrel or two to throw with interesting quirks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangul View Post
I have never played 13th age. Mainly a star wars and DnD 3e 3.5 and 5e, player. So if you don't mind having a noob to the brand I'd like to learn.
I don't mind new players at all, feel free to ask questions. I think the highlights of the system are the background (skill) checks, and the escalation die system that keeps combat moving along smoothly over any possible ruts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeks View Post
Interesting concept! I think there was a Mario RPG that used a dice pool system somewhere. I don't know much about 13th Age myself, but I like this campaign idea. May or may not throw an app in at some point.
I think 13th age is pretty new player friendly, but I'm a little biased. The campaign will be a little more lighthearted than most, a lot of nods to the games and dungeons will be smaller and more to the point -especially with the pacing of online posting.
Old Nov 9th, 2022, 04:10 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 975
Loun Loun Loun Loun Loun Loun Loun Loun
right-aligned image

Name - Diddley
Race - Boo
Reskinned from - Spiritborn
Class - Bard
Unique Thing - While the other heroes may be fighting to save some kingdom or another, Diddley is fighting for anarchy. The invading forces appear to pose the biggest threat thus far, so he'll join with anyone opposing them. Will he realize his dream or at least buy a plot of land to build a commune on? Or will he grow up and sell out? Only time will tell!

Background
Diddley grew up in a super lame Ghost House. All the other Boos were so fixated on listening to THE MAN and scaring whoever jumped through the house. Diddley just wanted to focus on his music and watch martial arts films.

These days, Diddley isn't in that house of scares (more like squares) anymore. He's always on the haunt for a place to crash. He's also looking to get involved with anyone interested in taking down the system (so anarchy can reign).

Last edited by Loun; Nov 9th, 2022 at 04:53 AM.
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 01:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7660
Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker
I've never even considered this idea, but it's interesting! I will look into the 13th Age system and see if I can wrap my head around it.
Old Nov 11th, 2022, 03:21 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Purim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snicker View Post
I've never even considered this idea, but it's interesting! I will look into the 13th Age system and see if I can wrap my head around it.
Hopefully it will be fun!
Old Nov 13th, 2022, 09:10 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4992
Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks
Giving the races of 13th Age a skim, I have a few suggestions is anyone's confused about character races.

- I'm tempted to run a Yoshi as a Dragonspawn, especially given the fire breath if you spit out a red shell in Super Mario World.
- A Twygzog is basically a fungus-person, perfect for a Toad or a Goomba.
- If playing a Koopa, especially a "King Koopa" like Bowser, a Lizardman's aggressive abilities might fit well.
- As shown off by Loun, Boos (a favorite of mine) work well as Spiritborn.
- Of course, the rare human in the Mario universe is represented by the common Human in fantasy games like these!
- If playing something human-like that's special like Rosalina (or even Peach, given her powers), maybe an of the Elves even an Aasimar could work? Unsure if they'd fit the campaign given the retro vibe, though.
- Really unsure of whether or not they'd fit for this campaign or not buy given it's Mario-adjacent and crossed over, but the Beastblooded would be perfect for a Kong.
- Weird choice time! Maybe a Halfing could fit a Shy Guy, or a Dwarf or Gnome for a Bob-Omb?

So those are my 2¢ on Mario species. The game does appear to be d20-based, but does a unique stuff compared to D&D editions. If I give the SRD a proper look, I'll consider applying after. Just wanted to give my ideas for now.
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 01:32 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Purim
Yeah that's exactly the type of refluffing we are looking for. Just the ticket for lighthearted adventures.
Old Nov 27th, 2022, 10:04 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Purim
Thanks for the interest all, it looks like we didn't make quite clear the interest bar but I appreciate all the interest!
Old Nov 27th, 2022, 11:23 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7660
Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purim View Post
Thanks for the interest all, it looks like we didn't make quite clear the interest bar but I appreciate all the interest!
I'm sorry, I completely forgot about this. Would it pass the bar if I whipped up a character in the next couple of days?
Old Nov 29th, 2022, 04:25 AM
same, different

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4363
writelite writelite writelite writelite writelite writelite writelite writelite writelite writelite writelite
a first character concept
right-aligned image
The evil Magikoopas stole little Jumiette from the sky. So Lumio became a falling star and went after her, but alas! He landed in a strange world, with no clue as to where she was. And to top it all, he soon found he had lost most of his powers...

name............: Lumio
race..............: Luma, (13th Age: ) Star Child
O.U.Thing....: Difficult access to magic for a star. Had to adapt his nature to living in The Mushroom Kingdom. Seeks to rescue Jumiette from King-Koopa (1st goal / hook). Hopes to recover his lost powers (2nd goal / hook - related to the racial feat).
background.: bright star (heavenly lore, wisdom, and magic) [1st]

The land where Lumio fell is a choice dependent on the class. One idea is to make him a Rogue; seeing that the team doesn't have one yet. Then i'd feel inclined to take Giant Land for him - a place where he'd learn to avoid and to apply wit to rudimentary means. But if someone else would like a Rogue, i can move towards other classes Anyway, the rest of his short history (also giving that important background) would continue with him adapting and maybe meeting some characters. The looks would most likely also depend on the class. For the Rogue, i'd like to have the little star wear a cloak - and maybe draw him a cautious-sneaky face...

variant one
left-aligned image
...Unable to blink away, he tumbled at the last moment - And he kept jumping and rolling while the world scrolled around, too fast to figure out what happened exactly. There were these... giant feet and sky clouding flies that kept passing by him, and everything so large he could hardly find a hideout... He did eventually - but only had a few moments to listen to his little heart's beat before a huge beak grabbed him and took to the air. Several strong flaps and the magpie (that's what it was) reached its nest, tucked among a tree's branches. It was the first time Lumio felt sick of heights - and realized his powers had greatly waned. The little star was to spend many weeks there, a prisoner among a number of other small shiny things the bird gathered and... There were eggs too, waiting to hatch - A not so comfortable thought. It took quite a lot to heal... and then he saw he had only recovered a tiny fraction of his past vibrancy. His heart nudging constantly towards Jumiette, he tried his best to focus on understanding his plight. He had to get out - but then what? He had to hide... He would not stand a chance against that land's inhabitants. And then... He'd have to find someone he can talk to - someone his size, to ask for directions... But often thoughts of his lost twin overwhelmed him, and then Lumio tried hard - forced himself - to bring back the old spark. It was during such times that he noticed how his energy was... adapting, somehow, to this new world he was in. Sometimes it took the shape of a sign he could not understand... Like when he finally figured out he was hungry - and that was a sort of meteor he was shown! (Mushroom bit really.) And other times it took more firm shape - if only for a short while... It first happened when the eggs cracked, and he just had to jump out of the nest! Then a long ray flickered out of his body suddenly, and he grabbed it - with no time to think why, later to realize it had anchored itself above, somewhere... It was gone in moments, but lasted enough for him to land safely on a lower branch. And when those ended, he took to navigating the barks' cracks down the trunk. Then his energy tended to grow firm around his ray ends - or failed, and he slipped and fell until he could grab again. As much as he could, he hid in the barks' shadows - and when he grew too tired, he took a nap in one of those hollow places. Many days the descent lasted - his light dimmed to just shining around his heart and the treasure there. And many nights passed - of gazing far into the depths of heavens, before sleep came, thinking, wishing of home...

(Way too long-phrased for an arcade inspired world, but the only chance - i think (the background) - to look in some depth at Lumio's longing and adaptation to the new world.)

Note for the GM: On his way out of Giant Land, Lumio may happen upon folk his size. Such encounters and resulting goals / hooks, i leave to your decision.

class...........: Rogue
first land.....: Giant Land
background: survivor (stealth expert, large structures navigating) [2nd]

...The more i get involved with this character - the more i feel i want to play

(stuff of general and more immediate interest)

Does anyone have trouble creating the character? I'm willing to help. Come on! Let's do this together! The deadline is close... and i'd really like to see this fun game starting. Wishing on Lumio below above!Offered to help with character creation.
Also see my D&D 5e to 13th Age system transition notes.

I grouped the 13th Age races and classes in order to facilitate character choices:

Last edited by writelite; Dec 4th, 2022 at 04:57 AM. Reason: added Temporary HP and Ongoing Damage to Play Ready Character Description
Closed Thread