[OOC] The Tangled Vine Tavern - Page 6 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Solo Games > New Gamers
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 08:29 PM
Debacle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 373
Debacle Debacle Debacle Debacle
Debacle's info for new players entering solo games.

First, you need to know how to get to them from being on the main forum index. If you are unsure if you are on the main index. look up at the top dark blue bar and click Forums. This should start you back at the main index.

From there you will scroll down til you see Solo Games. Now that you see Solo Games, look below it. You should see a link you can click called New Gamers. Click New Gamers and scroll down, you should see several "Sticky" threads posted there. When you go by them you should see 4 threads. These are the threads where you would post that you want to apply for a solo game. You post once in the application thread of your choice, and can just say you're interested in a Solo game. The Four links are listed below.

A New Member? Try a Solo Game! 3.5e Application Thread
A New Member? Try a Solo Game! PF Application Thread
A New CS Member? Try a Solo Game! 3.5e + PF + 4e Thread
A New Member? Try a Solo Game! 4e Application Thread

Anyone with CS membership goes to the top of the list for a solo game. It really isn't that bad $3 a month or $25 for a whole year. You can buy CS membership here. CS Membership

If you're looking for a game, and you are a CS, there is an option for a CS based game.

If looking for mostly group based games, DMs Seeking Players is an option, it is listed in the Advertisement section of the forum.

There is also the Players Seeking Games forum if you have a specific system and/or character idea you want to find a home for.

NPSG DM Edit: Thanks for this post, Debacle. I've reviewed and edited for accuracy, and so far what is posted seems okay. If there are issues with links or whatever, I'll let you know.

Last edited by zevonian; Mar 23rd, 2013 at 08:48 PM. Reason: accuracy and clarity
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 09:29 PM
what is this I don't even
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16086
lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac
Good man, Debacle. I applaud you for your efforts.

Still doesn't mean I won't throw the mean and nasty monsters at you in your NPSG...
(Oh, whoops, did I say that out loud? )
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 10:05 PM
Debacle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 373
Debacle Debacle Debacle Debacle
Oh I'm more worried about [spoiler alert]. Also thank's I hope it helps someone & for zevonian for making it look better.

Last edited by zevonian; Mar 23rd, 2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: spoiler free please
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 12:48 AM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88207
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyCactus View Post
Another question if you all don't mind: regarding site etiquette, is it rude to submit one character for two different games? So far, I have applied for two interesting games plus the newbie mage tower thing, but have put together a new character (background, build, and all that jazz) for each. Would it be okay to reuse these two characters/applications for other adventures, then withdraw the other if one is accepted? Or is it better to wait until one set of application closes before submitting that character elsewhere?
Sometimes, I have had a PC concept I wanted to play, so I have submitted it over and over again (with tweaks for a DM's world concept). I have never submitted the same PC to two games at the same time, but... I typically have three to five ideas I want to explore, so I just use a different one, if the games are recruiting concurrently.

I once played two similar PC's in two games, and it was a mistake. Couldn't keep them separated in my mind, and honestly, because of that, I never could fully get into character with either game. I let myself down, and my fellow players, because I couldn't dive in fully with either PC. Never again, for me.

As for applying and withdrawing: If you feel the need to withdraw, do so before the DM has chosen. I don't think anyone here will think worse of you. So, you can shop around a PC idea to multiple games, and withdraw from them if you are selected in the first one that closes.

(Just don't keep the other apps open, in hopes of being picked there, and THEN drop the first game. that's not fair to the first gamers.)
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Player, DM, Friend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 427
UltraBlackone UltraBlackone UltraBlackone UltraBlackone UltraBlackone
Hello all. Black checking in here. Thought I'd stop by the tavern and check out the local company. In doing so I find I have a few questions.

@TeufelHeunden
Quote:
with nothing but a rusty +1 dagger that we were thankful to have but weren't even proficient in
Aren't all characters proficient with simple weapons?

No but seriously I do have a question I wanted to pose to the community. I can understand why DMs like it way more when a player creates a new and interesting concept for a game. Being a DM for many years myself I enjoy it very much when players challenge themselves in this manner. However, if a player really likes playing a certain character (for one reason or another), would it be so bad for a player to reuse that character so long as they come up with a creative reason why that character is within the new setting/world and such? I ask because I once had an idea for a character like that I'd really like some feedback on at some point (though I don't think I'll ever really play him since I like trying new things too much).
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Ars artis gratia

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24916
TeufelHeunden TeufelHeunden TeufelHeunden TeufelHeunden TeufelHeunden TeufelHeunden TeufelHeunden TeufelHeunden TeufelHeunden TeufelHeunden TeufelHeunden
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraBlackone View Post
@TeufelHeunden

Aren't all characters proficient with simple weapons?
Not back in the day, now get off of my lawn

As far as your other question - I have and can DM, but there are some real experts around that might be able to answer that question better than I can. Glad you found the Tavern though.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Player, DM, Friend

Tools
User Statistics
Glad to be here and please do pardon my insolence, as well as my being on your lawn.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 09:56 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 46766
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
@Ultra: 3.5 wizard, for example. Proficient with club, dagger, heavy x-bow, light x-bow, staff. Does not specifically say ( at least in my copy of the PHB) that they are proficient in all simple weapons.

As for reusing a character you like in multiple party based games, as is, no changes:
1. It just makes things simpler for you if you aren't using the same character in multiple games. If you're reading 2 sets of posts, with your character name referenced in both, it could lead to some confusion if you aren't careful.
2. Your character sheet might be built using books a new DM doesn't allow, or have a background that applies to the world your potential DM has.

Example: Suppose I have a character that was created for a Faerunian world based game, and he prides himself on being from the Moonshae Isles. I can't expect to get picked for a game with that character is the DM insists that everyone was born and raised in Waterdeep.

Other example: Suppose I have a cleric of Kord (3.5 core diety), that loves to charge into battle screaming "Korrrrrd!" I shouldn't expect to be invited to use that cleric in a Pathfinder game where it's Golarion deities only. At the very least, I'd want to change his battle cry to "Gorrum!"

With that said, if you're wanting to play a specific character in your NPSG in order to get a handle on roleplaying that character, before applying to a group based game with it, I think that's completely acceptable. Whatever background you write up for a solo game character can usually be incorporated into the story with little trouble.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Ars artis gratia

Tools
User Statistics
TeufelHeunden TeufelHeunden TeufelHeunden TeufelHeunden TeufelHeunden TeufelHeunden TeufelHeunden TeufelHeunden TeufelHeunden TeufelHeunden TeufelHeunden
No pardon necessary, just jealousy (on my part). We have a few gaming groups at work but they tend to play at lunchtime and my meeting are always running over.

So close that I can taste it at times. Trying to get one of them to play after hours, but no luck yet.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Here they come
Good People  

Event Judge  

Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7419
Zeppo007 Zeppo007 Zeppo007 Zeppo007 Zeppo007 Zeppo007 Zeppo007 Zeppo007 Zeppo007 Zeppo007 Zeppo007
Quote:
No but seriously I do have a question I wanted to pose to the community. I can understand why DMs like it way more when a player creates a new and interesting concept for a game. Being a DM for many years myself I enjoy it very much when players challenge themselves in this manner. However, if a player really likes playing a certain character (for one reason or another), would it be so bad for a player to reuse that character so long as they come up with a creative reason why that character is within the new setting/world and such? I ask because I once had an idea for a character like that I'd really like some feedback on at some point (though I don't think I'll ever really play him since I like trying new things too much).
I've had experience with both types of players. They both have their pros and cons.

Think of the one who reuses a character over and over as an actor in a TV program. That player, like the actor, develops the character gradually over the years. Adding nuance and depth as he goes. The downside to this type of player is that, if you play with them regularly, it can seem stagnant. If the player is talented, they can use the same basic concept for each character (for example I enjoy playing dwarven fighters), but make each character unique by giving them different goals and motivations.

Sticking with my actor analogy. The player who plays different characters each time is more akin to a movie actor. They inhabit the character they are playing now and, when they are finished, toss it away and start anew. The good thing about these players is they can add unpredictability to the game by wanting to try something new. The downside is that the characters can seem a bit flatter than the character that has been lived in for years. Also, if the concept isn't a strong one, it can end up being a boring and unfulfilling character to play.

I find it best to do both. Like I mentioned before I love playing dwarf fighters, but I also like trying out strange combos as well (Goliath warlock, halfling barbarian, tiefling ranger to name a few examples). So I switch it up. I'll play a dwarf fighter one game and then challenge myself to play a different character in the next game. It helps keep things fresh and I still get to play the beer swilling tough guy with a large implement of painful death that I enjoy playing.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Ars artis gratia

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by zevonian View Post
@Ultra: 3.5 wizard, for example. Proficient with club, dagger, heavy x-bow, light x-bow, staff. Does not specifically say ( at least in my copy of the PHB) that they are proficient in all simple weapons.
Back in the good old days of OD&D, AD&D (aka 1e), AD&D 2nd (aka 2e) had you learning weapon proficiencies one by one – a broadsword was distinct from a short sword or a scimitar. Even a fighter couldn't be proficient with everything.

And another note, I think it was 2e that introduced levels greater than 11, until that time level 11 was your epic level and you were capped (there some special rules that allowed levels higher, up to 14 I think, but it has been a long time and I don't remember them)
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Player, DM, Friend

Tools
User Statistics
@Zevonian
Yep, my bad. Silly proficiency joke which failed.

On the matter of the characterThe idea I had was basically something along the lines of a character cursed by the old world gods (no need to name which to avoid setting issues) to forever walk the worlds until he finds what it is he'd been charged to do. Every time he'd die the various planes would reject him and send him back amongst the world in a new body with all of his memories yet none of his knowledge or skill. This way one could play the character and have reason to always appear in whatever setting since every time he'd die he'd come back in a new body as Thus also changing his character stats and such to be fitting for a new game without changing the core of the character.level 1 or as needed for the game and just go back to wandering the worlds looking for his place and task.

That was just the basic idea. Still I very much agree with you and Zeppo007 on playing different characters. Just thought I'd throw the idea out and see what you think
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Here they come
Good People  

Event Judge  

Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7419
Zeppo007 Zeppo007 Zeppo007 Zeppo007 Zeppo007 Zeppo007 Zeppo007 Zeppo007 Zeppo007 Zeppo007 Zeppo007
Sounds interesting.

Have you by chance read A Short Stay in Hell by Stephen L. Peck? Judging by that character concept, you'd find it intriguing.

Also you should check out the PHB 2 for 4e DnD. The Deva race sounds like a great fit for that type of character.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Player, DM, Friend

Tools
User Statistics
I have not read that but I will be sure to look it up. I still say it's a idea I'll never really play since I like trying new things and characters though.

Last edited by UltraBlackone; Apr 11th, 2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 54977
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Quote:
The idea I had was basically something along the lines of a character cursed by the old world gods (no need to name which to avoid setting issues) to forever walk the worlds until he finds what it is he'd been charged to do. Every time he'd die the various planes would reject him and send him back amongst the world in a new body with all of his memories yet none of his knowledge or skill.
That sounds pretty cool to me, personally, and I'd probably take that and run with it, but keep in mind that when a DM says something like "starting level", they don't mean centuries of history with a level one PC. This might unbalance a game, depending on how it played out.

1. If you really want to play the same character, try renaming him and changing the fiddly bits. A human fighter could be a dwarven barbarian in a second game, developing more of his gut instinct and passion, rather than his finesse. This could very easily still develop the same character idea without requiring the character to walk from campaign A to campaign B. You could then take what you've learned about the character and revamp him a third time for campaign C, all the while keeping the basic idea the same and developing something new each time.

2. There are games that are designed specifically for characters to come as they are, and they work for some people better than others. This would mean that rather than creating a new character, your fighter could have completed a quest already and just merge in with the next, keeping the character the same. I can't speak to it, I have trouble with this (as PC or DM). I can run a follow-up game, but that's the extent of my knowledge on the subject.